Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Wanna bludgeon that smirk with a bat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
it is clearly stdh because a true bernie supporter only raises a fist to show solidarity with their fellow man

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Respect

quote:

This guy, when he started at his current university, was unhappy, to say the least. He felt that the average intelligence of the college students (he transferred from a junior college to a four-year university) was a little bit...lower than he thought it would be, to say the least. Still, he made one or two friends. He tried out for RA position (something he detailed in Crazy Prepared), but didn't get it - but not because of lack of preparedness, no - because he was a huge Jerk rear end. Finally, he took on a volunteer position with a group so he could bolster his resume for RA position...but loved the experience so much that he ran for an executive position in the group. He got it, and today he's a respected student leader.

Plot

quote:

This troper started as a standard nerd with bits of Cloud Cuckoolander. After extensive experience with bullies he went through a Nietzsche Wannabe period, until he voluntarily went back two grades. As a highschool veteran, he first became The Stoner, went up to be a Jerkass and a Knife Nut (bad combination, folks), alienated his best friend, and became a poster boy for Loners Are Freaks. One year later, he got a new Nakama, and became the Papa Bear. Saddly, after an Awful Truth and a few funerals, e failed another school year. He is now a Secondary Character Deadpan Snarker in the main drama, one of Those Two Guys.
And finally, Those Two Guys were cut from the main plot altogether. This Troper is now an unemployed high school dropout looking for a chance to get his own Spin Off.

Group

quote:

This Troper was a Nerd and loner her entire life, loving books and not at all interested in dating, only socializing when absolutely necessary or to relieve her mother's worries. A few weeks in college, and while hanging out with a group of peers, I noticed it was time to go to a class, and I felt so strange as I left but couldn't figure out why. Some time later, I realized what strange emotion I was feeling — I didn't want to leave! I was actually enjoying hanging out with a goup of people instead of feeling like it was a chore I couldn't wait to get over with! Since then, I've been opening up more than I ever expected. This should be a good thing, but I feel like a hypocrite for continuing to identify with loners, and my developing interest in the opposite sex has also led to predictable consequences. I miss the old me.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

This is barely English.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Watch out, it's a "highschool veteran."

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Digirat posted:

Watch out, it's a "highschool veteran."

Not all are so worthy.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Being in RHA is nothing to be particularly proud of. Almost everyone in it got there by a similar path - apply for the actual job, breathe too loud and tell racist jokes in the interview (ha! trope!), get rejected, give up and do the volunteer thing.

quote:

Plot

But this one is just loving sad.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Sorry it's the only version of it I could find, but it definitely didn't happen.

girl, u gucci :rolleyes:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I hate myself for knowing what "nakama" means in troper/anime nerd lingo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Minarchist posted:

Sorry it's the only version of it I could find, but it definitely didn't happen.

girl, u gucci :rolleyes:

The crop is making it hard for me to understand what supposedly happened.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think someone made fun of a girl for having her period for some reason, and that weird looking alien carries around a fanny pack full of tampons which smoothed out the situation , but I'm not entirely sure either.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

tacodaemon posted:

I hate myself for knowing what "nakama" means in troper/anime nerd lingo

Never read One Piece fansubs, that word will be burned into your brain.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Khazar-khum posted:

Plot

quote:

[...] he voluntarily went back two grades [...] failed another school year [...]
What? How

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
What? How
[/quote]

And how old was he when he finally dropped out? 22?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sadly, that troper tale probably happened

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I imagine a 20 year old hanging around with some 14 year olds and referring to himself as Papa Bear

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

This troper started as a standard nerd with bits of Cloud Cuckoolander. After extensive experience with bullies he went through a Nietzsche Wannabe period, until he voluntarily went back two grades. As a highschool veteran, he first became The Stoner, went up to be a Jerkass and a Knife Nut (bad combination, folks), alienated his best friend, and became a poster boy for Loners Are Freaks. One year later, he got a new Nakama, and became the Papa Bear. Saddly, after an Awful Truth and a few funerals, e failed another school year. He is now a Secondary Character Deadpan Snarker in the main drama, one of Those Two Guys.
And finally, Those Two Guys were cut from the main plot altogether. This Troper is now an unemployed high school dropout looking for a chance to get his own Spin Off.

This is like in that Gene Wolf book, where there's a nation of people that speak the same language as their neighbors, but all 'words' have been replaced with phrases with many layered meanings that alter the way that language functions fundamentally.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Captain Monkey posted:

This is like in that Gene Wolf book, where there's a nation of people that speak the same language as their neighbors, but all 'words' have been replaced with phrases with many layered meanings that alter the way that language functions fundamentally.

I know TV Tropes words and the tl;dr is "I used to be wacky but then my life went to poo poo in a variety of ways and now I'm at a dead end hoping for a lucky break, because my life is not in my control."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain Monkey posted:

Shaka, when the walls fell.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

kimbo305 posted:

The crop is making it hard for me to understand what supposedly happened.

It accurately portrays the experience of listening to someone's boring-rear end story as my consciousness drifts in and out.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
oh god nakama means child doesn't it?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

snergle posted:

No you weirdo.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

snergle posted:

5 seconds of googling tells me that it means friend, comrade or crewmate.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I figured it was some kind of sword.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Christo posted:

5 seconds of googling tells me that it means friend, comrade or crewmate.

Except it cannot be translated as all other cultures lack a word expressing a deep and lasting friendship of the utmost loyalty forged through common experience, trials, and tribulations.

Only the Japanese understand such a bond.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah well they don't have a word for bae, so point: America.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Geniasis posted:

Except it cannot be translated as all other cultures lack a word expressing a deep and lasting friendship of the utmost loyalty forged through common experience, trials, and tribulations.

:japan:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Geniasis posted:

The Japanese...and Are Troopz :911:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Geniasis posted:

We created a word for it in the 2000s: Bromance!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

quote:

This is my favorite so far

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

until he voluntarily went back two grades

Everything else in there is true.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ElGroucho posted:

I can't like it because it's so sad.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

ElGroucho posted:

That could easily be summed up as "I hosed up through school and dropped out" but instead its filled with TV Tropes article titles so it looks like some insane writing that makes no sense to non tropers, it's hilariously inclusive.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

When this sort of poo poo happens most people would just say 'gently caress off', but this person is too clever by half!

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010
Found some racist STDH from LinkedIn Pulse. Pay close attention to the fifth and six paragraphs.

Green is a white man, while red is a black woman. They both commented on this article.

constantIllusion has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Mar 29, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Depressio111117 posted:

When this sort of poo poo happens most people would just say 'gently caress off', but this person is too clever by half!

And in 10 seconds!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

constantIllusion posted:

Found some racist STDH from LinkedIn Pulse. Pay close attention to the fifth and six paragraphs.

Green is a white man, while red is a black woman. They both commented on this article.

You had me at "I moved out of Texas to Hawaii to where the jobs are."

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does Hawaii have that many black people? Or is this person just applying the term to anyone who isn't lily-white? Or maybe, just maybe, this person has never been to Hawaii and is a stupid racist making poo poo up

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Does Hawaii have that many black people? Or is this person just applying the term to anyone who isn't lily-white? Or maybe, just maybe, this person has never been to Hawaii and is a stupid racist making poo poo up

Hawaii has very few black people, but the start of the 5th paragraph suggests that he's not talking about Hawaii when he's inventing the stuff about black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
And if you're not chanting "KILL WHITIE!" while watching Amistad, you're doing it wrong.

• Locked thread