Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
I loving love this show. What a finale!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The best show on television has a fifteen page thread. Another amazing season, I can't really express how sad I am that it's gone. All the pirates sitting at the round table at the end made me giddier than I care to admit.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
There should have been an empty chair of out respect for Vane.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
My wife and I just blitzed through all the episodes and ended up catching up just in time for the finale. We're still bummed about Vane, but the finale continued this show's excellence and will make the 9 month wait for the next season painful.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

I love that Silver's in-universe character defining moment involves brutally murdering the most annoying non-Guthrie character.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

doos posted:

I love that Silver's in-universe character defining moment involves brutally murdering the most annoying non-Guthrie character.

Hopefully he will peg leg stomp Guthrie next season!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
If Guthrie does another stocking scene next season, I am perfectly ok with her sticking around for a little bit longer.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just want her and Max purged because they are uninteresting and completely superfluous to the show as a whole. They're basically just there to fill the "boobs" quota.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're basically just there to fill the "boobs" quota.

...and whats wrong with this?

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Immortan posted:

Their dead weight holds the show back. I can only imagine how much more amazing it would be if they weren't there. Every episode could have been as awesome as this finale!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I like them okay, but yeah...can't really recall any 'hell yes' moment with either of them as of late, unlike with Anne.

drat, but I think imma agree on that - they really need to introduce Mary Read in Season 4 and have her kick rear end in some way.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that was the craziest poo poo I've seen on television since BSG's atmo drop

I feel like an rear end in a top hat because what is there to say except holy poo poo goddamn did you see that guy get exploded, etc.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
e: double pauxt

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Tighclops posted:

Yeah that was the craziest poo poo I've seen on television since BSG's atmo drop

One of my favorite 'oh poo poo' moments ever.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Immortan posted:

Have you seen the wife of Jack's former quartermaster?

If you need a boob quota that one's got it covered.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So I imagine next season is the running off of Rogers and ending with Flint dead/LJS supremacy?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SaltLick posted:

So I imagine next season is the running off of Rogers and ending with Flint dead/LJS supremacy?

If it's the last season I could see that. I think this series ends with Flint.

Mans posted:

Have you seen the wife of Jack's former quartermaster?

If you need a boob quota that one's got it covered.

Idelle! That's her name. I may as well remember it since she's been involved in a bunch of important stuff as of late.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Most of the show doesn't happen without Eleanor's bad decisions. It's just easier to have one character do them.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
That was loving amazing. I can't wait til next wee....

:smith:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So have they said if season 4 is going to be the last season or anything like that? I just feel like everything is starting to get moved into end game positioning so if it is the final season all hell could start breaking lose.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.inverse.com/article/13381-black-sails-season-4-outlined-by-showrunners-jonathan-steinberg-and-robert-levine

Neat interview with the show runners.

No indication that 4th is the last season.

More emphasis on LJS is going to be tits (and fruit)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If Silver doesn't get his parrot this next season I am going to start an online petition.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I would be fine with next season being the last, but I've got a gut feeling that it's going five seasons.

Is Max supposed to be Mary Reed?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I would say 5 seasons and a movie but this show manages to blow most movies out of the loving water on a regular basis

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ross Angeles posted:

I would be fine with next season being the last, but I've got a gut feeling that it's going five seasons.

Is Max supposed to be Mary Reed?

I doubt it. They may just be leaving Reed out. Unless Max turns into an awesome sword fighting pirate.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gonz posted:

Silver gonna make a fortune selling hushpuppies to Nassau.
Do you have any idea how loving hard it is to find decent hushpuppies anywhere but the deep south of N America.. I mean for reals

SeaWolf posted:

Their dead weight holds the show back. I can only imagine how much more amazing it would be if they weren't there. Every episode could have been as awesome as this finale!
Breasts are not dead weight - they totally flop around

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
What did happen to The Coat?

doos
Jan 1, 2015

VagueRant posted:

What did happen to The Coat?

It's like a phylactery. Flint hid it somewhere else, in case the plan went awry.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jack Rackham, not only the character but the actor himself, contribute some much to this serie it's unbelievable. He is by far my favorite character, he had a tremendous development during this season.

Today the crumbs, tomorow the loaf.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I like how it is goddamn obvious to everyone just how far Jack has really come this season...and yet, the writers still know it's just fine and okay to keep things light on occasion, such as the exchange between him and Teach:

:dance: "And? It seemed like there was a bit more to that thought. About you agreeing with Flint...and, subsequently perhaps, agreeing about my capacities?"

:catstare:

:smithmouth: "There wasn't anything else to that thought, was there?"

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Flint & Teach vs. Silver and co. next season. Or is it everyone against Spain?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Historically England and Spain signed a peace treaty just in time to save Nassau from annihilation, or something like that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That episode owned. I had no idea it was the finale. Good one to go out on for sure though.

Seeing Anne Bonny without a hat was weird.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Anne proves this show is able to write interesting important female characters which makes Max and Guthrie that much more frustrating. One is a former whore who has taken over the streets of Nassau through shrewd planning and business acumen and the other was in total control of a pirate trading port before being arrested for piracy and has come back to claim revenge for the way the island ran her off.....and they are both boring terrible characters. It boggles the mind.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Anne proves this show is able to write interesting important female characters which makes Max and Guthrie that much more frustrating. One is a former whore who has taken over the streets of Nassau through shrewd planning and business acumen and the other was in total control of a pirate trading port before being arrested for piracy and has come back to claim revenge for the way the island ran her off.....and they are both boring terrible characters. It boggles the mind.

I don't necessarily think the characters are boring and terrible. They certainly aren't of the level of writing the male leads are, but they're dragged down even harder because neither of the actresses that play them can act worth a drat.

Eleanor looks either scared or furious in whatever scene she's in and Max can't speak in anything other than a horrible and monotone french accent. If they could act worth a drat then they might be redeemable but I feel like any real pirate would have just told them to STFU and then just run them through so they wouldn't have to listen to the sounds coming out of their mouths anymore.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SeaWolf posted:

I don't necessarily think the characters are boring and terrible. They certainly aren't of the level of writing the male leads are, but they're dragged down even harder because neither of the actresses that play them can act worth a drat.

Eleanor looks either scared or furious in whatever scene she's in and Max can't speak in anything other than a horrible and monotone french accent. If they could act worth a drat then they might be redeemable but I feel like any real pirate would have just told them to STFU and then just run them through so they wouldn't have to listen to the sounds coming out of their mouths anymore.

Not before they rape them.

I like Anne but isn't she kind of one dimensional? gently caress everyone except jack. Kill them all! And that's about it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
In fairness, Flint is about as one dimensional, it's just that Toby Stephen's steely glare makes us all think he's deep and cool.

The problem with Eleanor and Max is just that they represent the worst, most fillery part of the show which is a lot of behind-the-back scheming and bickering about island politics, while the men of the show generally represent actually moving the plot along and also SHIPS (which are unquestionably awesome).

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

VagueRant posted:

In fairness, Flint is about as one dimensional, it's just that Toby Stephen's steely glare makes us all think he's deep and cool.

The problem with Eleanor and Max is just that they represent the worst, most fillery part of the show which is a lot of behind-the-back scheming and bickering about island politics, while the men of the show generally represent actually moving the plot along and also SHIPS (which are unquestionably awesome).

Flint is one dimensional in that he has his mind set on a goal and whatever means are necessary to accomplish that goal are acceptable. First it was turning Nassau legitimate. Now it's razing any English presence there to the ground, up to and including the entire island itself as long as its on HIS terms. The depth we've gotten is how he's come to this point and what he's suffered along the way and now we're getting a glimpse into what drives this rage inside him.
Vane would be the one dimensional character where rules are meant for others and not for him and his belief that he and anyone else should be allowed to do as they please without thinking in the long term. There really isn't a whole lot of depth to that kind of character. But Zach McGowan plays him so well and with such conviction that the real tragedy isn't that Charles Vane is dead, it's that McGowan is gone from the show!
Rackham is similarly one dimensional in that all he cares about is how he is perceived. But Toby Schmitz can monologue the poo poo out of it.
Anne is lacking in depth just as much, but Clara Paget makes you believe her anger and rage

Politicking and back-room scheming doesn't have to be filler material, that's what most of these kinds of shows are that revolve around wielding power, but bad acting makes it filler because they aren't making it interesting.
Creating the trade consortium after the elder Guthrie closed up shop and said gently caress off was interesting. They were mostly no-name throwaway characters involved but they made it interesting to watch. I think that's as interesting as Eleanor got but she had plenty of backup with those characters. Though to be fair, they're not giving her much to work with now beyond who she's going to start loving next to remain in favor and keep whatever power she can get her hands on, but I still believe a better actress could make it more believable and less "can I just fast forward through this".

Same with Max. A prostitute who schemes, betrays, fails, and pays for it dearly having to basically start again from scratch makes for a very interesting character. And the character's rise from nothing to one of the most powerful purveyors of intrigue on the island is a great sub-plot. But her actress can't play the part well enough to make it believable and gripping. But I don't want her to die. Maybe just slice her tongue out so we don't lose those lovely titties.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

VagueRant posted:

Very much this, and the added trick of it is that it's probably much harder to demonstrate that in a TV show without taking a step back and chewing up airtime away from a marked increase in naval ship tricks shown this season + other character's development. In Season 1 Eleanor putting up the consortium to salvage their operation was legit interesting, but there's a good reason for that - because there was a riot brewing outside and it demanded Eleanor admit she was wrong for once to quell it. You can't do that kind of *dramah* for every single administrative decision over and over again without it becoming tedious/ridiculous...and if you do what they do right now, which is just have talking heads say: "This is what we plan to do - cut back to the awesome ships blowing each other up," then yea. It'll almost always turn out as boring filler, compared to that, and you never see poo poo like Max's 'influence over the street' properly demonstrated in the show, because it'd be just a lot of talk like you saw of her in Season 2. But talking about it is still necessary to move along the plot.

An example of where it successfully broke from this, I found, was also in Season 2, when Eleanor did the whole: "You know what? I've pretty much seduced Vane again - I can just spring that girl on my own," just straight up offering those terms to Flint and it leading to that schism between Vane and her being permanent. That was legit something she could do to resolve a conflict in a way none of the men could. And it's also why I so badly wished it was Max's spy network, that she hinted at wanting to get in Season 2, that was a primary driver in Rogers getting info on what the Spanish were doing in this season and not this additional character, whose children get threatened. TBH, they really missed out on sooo much potential on this part (that could legit get Max involved in poo poo, and lending her informants to perhaps help the pirates on the side, while still playing the loyal one to Rogers and Eleanor with bribes and such). But yea...sadly, didn't get any of that and it's just 'What can I do, mr. Rogers?' until the very last episode, when only a couple of convos with the madame hint at this now.

It's frustrating for me, because I actually like both characters' concepts. I'm tired as poo poo of most fictional female characters having to be this 'strong independent womyn' in order to be considered as 'well-rounded', because all that shows is how little imagination those shows that rely on just that have as opposed to coming up with characters like the Tyrell women from GoT. So I really want Eleanor and Max to work out it's just that...yeah, they don't. And I don't think it's just the actresses failing, it's also honestly the writing for them very much so trying to make them significant, and that does happen a bit sometimes, but overall it just consistently falls somewhat short of that mark.

Ah well...at least I liked most of the Princess and her mom this season. Here's to hoping those two get taken to interesting places.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hi Goons I just came here to echo the sentiments of those who are at least okay with Eleanor sticking around as long as she does more stocking scenes. And maybe a little bit more of the boobs, they are very stingy with her boobs for some reason. But that rear end...

• Locked thread