Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I considered a uScale but went for the Disting mk3 instead because it'll quantize on trigger instead of relying on an external S&H. drat glad I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
If you want that feature in the same form factor (and are handy with a soldering iron), there's this.

i started out with the disting quantizer but ended up using it so much that i had to buy a dedicated one so i could use the disting for something else.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I know what you mean. My setup is too new to really make changes quite yet but I have a feeling I might pull my LxD for a second Disting.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I got to play around with a friend's (very nice) modular yesterday and it confirmed to me that I can live happily without having one of my own at home. As interesting as the whole thing sounds at first glance, after spending some time with it I can say that I have 0 desire to get into it. So my retirement funds are safe!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

My modular stuff arrived today.
I'm clearly missing hundreds of modules. I'm glad I asked here and on reddit about my order, the Mother 32 is making it a ton easier to get started.
I went with the Mother 32 because it was clear my setup was lacking after asking both places, and the Mother 32 was my fallback of "oh god what have I gotten into" plan.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Has there been any news on a volca fm release date yet?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

net work error posted:

The only thing I've heard about a release date for it has been april.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

net work error posted:

FWIW, my Sweetwater sales eng. said they expect a shipment sometime in May. I pre-ordered from them, so here's hoping I get it then.

Also (in soft-synth news), Virta is out:
http://madronalabs.com/products/virta

breaks
May 12, 2001

Switched On here in Austin posted that they got a shipment of the Volca FMs in earlier today. They have them on their site so I assume they will ship it if you are looking for one ASAP: http://www.switchedonaustin.com/products/korg-volca-fm

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

net work error posted:

Bax Shop's website suggests they will be able to deliver in 10 weeks.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Hello! I need some help recreating a synth sound by... me.

edit: whoops, sorry, meant to post this in the "recreating sounds" megathread.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 30, 2016

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
Guitar Center finally has the pre-order page for the FM up if you feel like buying from them.

I dunno if it'll be like it was with the Minilogue, but in my case, my closest GC (Twin Cities) had one Minilogue in-store they were able to sell when that page went up, according to the employee who called to let me know.

Also, I'm looking for a sequencer for my MS-20. Really wasn't a fan of the SQ-1, does the Beatstep work well with it, and can the knobs be used to control pitch? I'm getting some conflicting info from search results.

Astro Creep fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 30, 2016

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Astro Creep posted:

Guitar Center finally has the pre-order page for the FM up if you feel like buying from them.

I dunno if it'll be like it was with the Minilogue, but in my case, my closest GC (Twin Cities) had one Minilogue in-store they were able to sell when that page went up, according to the employee who called to let me know.

Also, I'm looking for a sequencer for my MS-20. Really wasn't a fan of the SQ-1, does the Beatstep work well with it, and can the knobs be used to control pitch? I'm getting some conflicting info from search results.

Woah. That is also my closest GC. Also the one I bought my Minilogue at.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah I know what you mean. My setup is too new to really make changes quite yet but I have a feeling I might pull my LxD for a second Disting.
let me know if you do bc ofc lol i need an lxd natutally

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Woah. That is also my closest GC. Also the one I bought my Minilogue at.

Small world! I actually just called and the person on the other end said it wasn't even in their system yet.

I'm still gonna go check this afternoon :ssh:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Astro Creep posted:

IIRC only the beatstep pro will work with the MS-20. The regular beatstep doesn't support it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Astro Creep posted:

Small world! I actually just called and the person on the other end said it wasn't even in their system yet.

I'm still gonna go check this afternoon :ssh:

It's worth it. Most of the employees there are alright, but there's one person who works in the keyboards/synths area of the store who had never heard of the Minilogue when I went to buy it, so it's entirely possible they were searching for the "Corgi Folka Effem" or something idiotic.

Seriously, they searched for "corg minne log" when I asked.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Just get it sent to yer house, ya goofs

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

A Winner is Jew posted:

IIRC only the beatstep pro will work with the MS-20. The regular beatstep doesn't support it.

Now see, that's weird, because I've found videos on YouTube of the regular Beatstep working with it, and then forum posts that basically amount to "nah" or "kinda".

Maybe I'll try another SQ-1. Think I might've gotten a bad unit, it would stop triggering past a certain speed. Is that an intentional thing?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

If I didn't have a bunch of used gear I was trading in (which they grossly overpaid me for, lol) I wouldn't have gotten it from GC at all.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Just got this notice from Sweetwater five minutes ago:

quote:

Your order [REDACTED] shipped 3/31/16 via First Class Mail.
Korg Volca FM Synth w/Seq (SN:VOLCA-FM000100000748)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

minidracula posted:

Just got this notice from Sweetwater five minutes ago:

enjoy the luxurious frint panel with not 1 not 2 but 3 different knobs to control hundreds of patch parameters! 200% yooger than the dx7 from the 80s and more luxurious since its portable!

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
Well, this is interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qU1fw5rjJY

breaks
May 12, 2001

Blocks are fantastic and the new voice controller block they're talking about especially sounds great. The one from Silent Way and all the others I know of don't handle modules/patches that don't scale linearly well, so hopefully the per-note voltage hunting they're talking about for this thing will take care of some of those situations.

Stuff like the Maschine controller and drum blocks are a bit less interesting to me (why not just do your drums on Maschine proper which is really good at that...). I'd rather they do a real nice, modulate-able delay or something with interesting and high quality DSP that isn't likely to get addressed by users - but I guess hardware integration probably falls into the same category. Anyway I'm sure some people will get some good mileage out of it and maybe it will surprise me.

As much poo poo as NI gets they really continue to put out some of the best softsynth stuff around, even if it has been all done in Reaktor for the past several years.

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
I dunno, I quite like the idea of the Maschine getting a generic sequencer block; lots of hardware sequencers are clunky or restrictive in some way, so being able to offload pattern config/storage/modulation to Reaktor means more options and less hassle. For instance, the OB-6 supports a single pattern per patch, the Roland Boutiques and Novation Circuit only support 16 beats per pattern, and neither the Machinedrum nor the Circuit's drumsynth have any support for polyrhythms. Sequencing on the host should (in theory) remove those restrictions, and backing up a Reaktor ensemble is easier than dealing with sysex dumps.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Yeah it could be pretty interesting if it's more of a complement to the Maschine sequencer rather than a cut down Reaktor version of it.

Speaking of software modulars, Softube just put out a short little announcement/teaser for theirs, with more info to come at Musikmesse here in a few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tawRqNNLmsg

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Volca FM arrived today from Sweetwater. Haven't had time to play with it other than to load batteries and turn it on and hit the Play button to hear a beep. Others who pre-ordered from Sweetwater, I'd imagine you'd be getting yours soon if you pre-ordered a few weeks back...

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Does anyone know how to play notes lower than C1 on an MPC 1000? I want to play the microbrute with it and 50% of its range exists below C1

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

You can change the midi note assignment for each pad in program mode. I forget how exactly but it's there.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Eurorack trip report: It's pretty much the greatest thing in the world. It's an amazing combination of noise discovery, gear lust, and building things. I was going to save up for a new PC + a VR headset, but I think I might go deep into the eurorack rabbit hole.

I ordered my first eurorack DIY kit (Synthrotek's Dirt) and realized I have no clue if I put it together correctly or not, because it's a pretty strange filter.
After putting that together I'm pretty sure I have enough random parts that I can put together a few DIY sets without too many more parts, and maybe even start trying to create my own dumb modules by sort of kitbashing things. I need to figure out a good way to source parts, and a good source of DIY schematics. I especially need schematics that explain what each individual part does, instead of me googling the various components and slowly figuring out their role.

Individual module trip report:
The Mother-32 is a life saver, without this I would probably have ended up frustrated or ordered a bunch more modules without quite finish out a good starting point.

The Doepfer A-190-3 (USB and midi CV/G Int) is really handy. I wish it had something that output to the tempo, and the menu diving for the output is a bit tricky. Still, I'm glad I got this over other midi input to start because I really wanted the USB in and it's been really helpful with my setup of running things through Ableton.

I'm also really liking the Mutable Instruments Edges. This is exactly what I wanted and I'm really into it, it makes me really tempted by the entire Mutable Instruments line. I haven't gotten into the menu diving yet. The packaging and the included manual are also awesome.

The Tip Top BD-808 hasn't been useful in creating sound for me yet, but it's been useful in helping me understand what I'm doing with a eurorack setup. I don't regret getting it over another drum module, because I just wanted a cheap drum module to fiddle with sometimes, and it's serving that purpose well. I'll probably hold off on more rack drums for a while, the Volca Sample and Volca Beats get me by, and there are other rack modules I want first. The packaging was actually pretty cool for this one.

The Doepfer A-138 Mixer is serviceable, and is doing its job well. Not exciting or interesting, but useful.

The Pittsburgh Modular Multiple I'm still getting the hang of. I thought it would be simpler than it is, but I don't quite grasp what I'm doing mixing CVs and or audio.
In a similar veign of mixing signals, I also got two tip top stackable patch cables, those are really cool, too.

The Synthrotek Dirt I shared above, I really liked getting a kit and putting it together. It was inexpensive, especially compared to everything else. Combined with the BD-808 I've found some really cool noises.

What I'm looking at next is: I want a module with a standard low pass filter, and an envolope module. The Pittsburgh Modular Game System looks really awesome, and my lust for things that remind me of old game systems may make me get that next.

Here are some short sound explorations with the eurorack and a few other things
https://soundcloud.com/joejoejoejoe-4/modularcity
https://soundcloud.com/joejoejoejoe-4/mod3

I'm thinking of crossposting this to the modular subreddit, I don't know if this thread or that gets enough traffic or have too much crossover to be worth sharing there, too.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 6, 2016

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

Eurorack trip report

:getin:

quote:

The Pittsburgh Modular Multiple I'm still getting the hang of. I thought it would be simpler than it is, but I don't quite grasp what I'm doing mixing CVs and or audio.
In a similar veign of mixing signals, I also got two tip top stackable patch cables, those are really cool, too.

multiples are for splitting signals, not mixing. theoretically if you patch two outs to a mult you'll get a mix of both as a result, but then both of those outs are patched together, which is a big no-no. some modules allow this (especially with gate outs) but as a general rule you shouldn't do this. if you want to mix signals together you need (unsurprisingly) a mixer.

same goes for stackables -- you should only use them to split one out into multiple ins.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Congratulations on the system man! I liked the little sound bits you posted also, it's always nice to hear modulars being used for stuff other than space farts. Not that space farts aren't great and all.

Passive multiples are literally just a bunch of jacks wired together, so don't try to mix with them. It's like plugging outputs into other outputs which you should also try to avoid. It's not likely to instantly blow something up but it may eventually bite you in the rear end if you leave stuff plugged up like that for extended periods. All a multiple is for is, you plug some signal into it, and then you get a copy of the same signal on the other jacks in the multiple. It makes it easy to send the same thing to several different places.

I really like the Bubblesound SEM-20 as kind of a standard filter module, and the Erica Polivoks or Dtech (which is an extended version of the Polivoks) are great character filters that are a bit gnarlier sounding.

For envelopes the best advice I can offer is AVOID the ones that are just standard ADSR envelopes with few modulation inputs. Get one or two you can really modulate the poo poo out of, whether it's the whole slew/AD/AHD thing like a Function or Minislew or VCS, or just a flexible ADSR like the Doepfer A-141-2.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

breaks posted:

For envelopes the best advice I can offer is AVOID the ones that are just standard ADSR envelopes with few modulation inputs. Get one or two you can really modulate the poo poo out of, whether it's the whole slew/AD/AHD thing like a Function or Minislew or VCS, or just a flexible ADSR like the Doepfer A-141-2.

honestly i would suggest skipping the ADSR altogether and just get a Maths. i thought i needed a full ADSR but discovered i basically never used the decay/sustain stage. if you discover that you really miss it, you can get a full ADSR and then you still have the Maths for LFO/mixing/attenuation duties. :homebrew:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Mr. Glass posted:

honestly i would suggest skipping the ADSR altogether and just get a Maths. i thought i needed a full ADSR but discovered i basically never used the decay/sustain stage. if you discover that you really miss it, you can get a full ADSR and then you still have the Maths for LFO/mixing/attenuation duties. :homebrew:

Or if you are cool with oblique menu diving then you can grab a mutable peaks for adsr duties, load it up with the dead man's catch firmware, and enjoy your dual adsr/phase locked loop oscillator/bouncing ball simulator/mini turing machine/four step sequencer/randomized fm drum synthesizer.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

I want a module with a standard low pass filter

oh oops i missed this part of your post! in the analogue subtractive synthesis world the filter is generally where you get the largest proportion of character out of your sound, so generally you'll find that most filters are based on vintage circuit designs that really add a lot of color. Ripples is based on classic roland filters, Intellijel's Korgasmatron is based on the MS-20 filter, Happy Nerding's MMF is based on the Moog transistor ladder (which you probably already have in the Mother-32), etc. if you want just a really clean, no-frills VCF you probably want the intellijel µVCF, but honestly i've found it to be pretty boring compared to the other options that are available.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

This is a very nice showdown of some filters that are available (including some referenced above)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ36ZiGnALU

Personally, I own an e440 for low pass and just picked up an Aperture this afternoon, which sounds stupid weird.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

magiccarpet posted:

This is a very nice showdown of some filters that are available (including some referenced above)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ36ZiGnALU

Personally, I own an e440 for low pass and just picked up an Aperture this afternoon, which sounds stupid weird.

WMD Aperture or RYO Aperture?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

WMD

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Lots of great info, thanks all!
I'm right now looking at the CV Trinity, Make Noise Maths, and Befaco Rampage as sort of filling the similar slot to each other. I've seen a lot of people really claiming the Rampage is something to get over the Maths. The CV Trinity is interesting for a few reasons to me, as well.

That video magiccarpet posted was really helpful for looking at filters.

Another gap in my current setup is sequencing. While I eventually want the Pittsburgh Modular Game System, it's a bit pricey and I would rather pad out some other things first. In researching sequencers, midi clocks, and things like that, I've re-stumbled upon the Korg SQ-1 as a sequencing solution. This thing does so much, and is so much less expensive than similar Eurorack modules. The only downside for me is the form factor not being Eurorack. The $100 SQ-1 seems comparable to $300 eurorack modules.

I told myself I won't order another module until going to the Seattle modular petting zoo this weekend. After that, I might swing by a local store and grab an SQ-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The SQ-1 is worth it for the MIDI to CV converter function alone.

Also I have a WMD/SSF MMF (which is different from Happy Nerding's). It's a two-pole multimode filter that will whistle plenty loud if you want but I mostly treat as a gentler version of the Mother's ladder filter, without the bass dropout when you crank the resonance. It's "pingable" but I haven't really gotten much use out of that function.