Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah sorry about that, folks. I'm having issues with Firefox (actually it might just be this old-rear end laptop that overheats constantly) and sometimes it slows to a crawl and only rebooting solves it. I wanted to finish the post so I wrote it in Notepad and tried to paste it into the reply window, but I ended up hitting Ctrl-V several times and when I finally saw text I hit submit. I didn't check to see how it looked. I've fixed the post (I think) but I'm glad it was quoted for posterity.

If you want to see another T-Type from Ibanez that's quite beautiful take a look at the Ibanez FR365. It's a somewhat more traditional shape and I've seen one with a quilted top and gold-plated pickup covers that I'd have in a heartbeat. $400, so I guess it's Indonesian as well. Hit-or-miss with the QC there, but as I said this Talman actually appears to be perfect. I feel like I won a lottery.

Glad you had a good laugh, peter gabriel. You're good people. (and I love So and Us).

Dirt: Can't wait to see what you scored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yeah sorry about that, folks. I'm having issues with Firefox (actually it might just be this old-rear end laptop that overheats constantly) and sometimes it slows to a crawl and only rebooting solves it. I wanted to finish the post so I wrote it in Notepad and tried to paste it into the reply window, but I ended up hitting Ctrl-V several times and when I finally saw text I hit submit. I didn't check to see how it looked. I've fixed the post (I think) but I'm glad it was quoted for posterity.

If you want to see another T-Type from Ibanez that's quite beautiful take a look at the Ibanez FR365. It's a somewhat more traditional shape and I've seen one with a quilted top and gold-plated pickup covers that I'd have in a heartbeat. $400, so I guess it's Indonesian as well. Hit-or-miss with the QC there, but as I said this Talman actually appears to be perfect. I feel like I won a lottery.

Glad you had a good laugh, peter gabriel. You're good people. (and I love So and Us).

Dirt: Can't wait to see what you scored.

Man it made me laugh in a good way, so thanks :)
Love your Talman as well, always like those and glad to hear it's a good guitar

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That FR365 is real nice looking. It's the exact image I would come up with when thinking of a modern shaped Tele.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i bought another ibanez too

the schecter km-7's neck is too thick for my babby hands

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_detail.php?year=2016&cat_id=1&series_id=10&data_id=328&color=CL01
im dedicated to getting guitars with the most absurd numbernames

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

muike posted:

i bought another ibanez too
gently caress between this and the rgd7uc for $1500 this is making me gas hard. luckily buying a house is the anti-gas (at least until you've bought the house)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This is *not* a post about bein' butt-hurt from the word fanboy. I know that when Dirt used it he meant no harm or foul.

It's just a fact of specialization: If you want to focus on electric guitarists for example, you will sometimes find people who mostly collect nothing but Les Pauls, or SGs. Or Strats. Or Teles. Or 7-9 strings. Or baritones. Or Mustangs or Jaguars or Rickenbackers or Godins or whatever.

To explain myself, I love the look of any Fender Strat or Tele, but I don't want to play a neck with a 7.5" radius and medium frets, or a guitar that weighs 20 lbs. I would LOVE to have a real Fender tobacco sunburst Made In USA Strat, or a paisley Tele, for example.

My problem with these instruments has to do with my hands. My hands aren't especially large or small, they're medium man hands; but my fingers are long-ish. Also, I play lead, so I need to be able to push two-step bends everywhere on the neck without notes fretting out or the action being too high (too heavy lift) or too low (catching several strings at once). For this, I want medium to jumbo frets, a flat radius (I like the Ibanez 16"+ radius a LOT), and my hands are large enough that I don't care about the neck depth. I'll play a baseball bat neck and then a Wizard ruler-thin neck and adapt immediately. I just am comfortable knowing that with level frets I can set the relief and action to the same exact specs with my metal ruler and if the notes pop and nothing buzzes or frets out, I'm happy. Ibanez delivers on this, consistently. I have a good relationship with Hoshino USA so if something's wrong I'm pretty sure I can get it handled with minimum fuss or expense.

Fender has the scale length I love but the radii are a serious issue for me getting the low action I desire.

Gibson has the flat radius but the frets can be tiny and my long fingers hate the shorter scale length (it seriously bothers me when playing up high).

I could enjoy a large assortment of other guitars, e.g. Schecter, ESP, Music Man, Peavey, etc.

Once you've found a manufacturer who knows what you like, it's easy to fill out your stable with their stuff and not worry about brand names. What's more worrying is the trend in guitars where the prices just go up and up and up. Regular guys like me could buy a MIJ JEM on high school money. Now, you're lucky to afford a MIM Fender.

I understand the free market, but I don't think I buy Ibanez guitars from a "fanboy" position. I'd have a Schecter or other guitar if it met my specs. I just know that Ibanez offers the features that I want (in terms of neck joint, materials, fretboard radius and fretwire, cutaways, etc.) so I stick with what I trust.

I'm happy for people who love their Teles, Les Pauls, SGs, Strats, etc. I'm just not them. Electric guitars are very personal and it's all subjective.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Modern Fenders are 9.5" radius and they also have compound radius necks that flatten out closer to the weedly-wee parts of the neck.

American Elite is 9.5" to 14" compound radius.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 27, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Once you've found a manufacturer who knows what you like, it's easy to fill out your stable with their stuff and not worry about brand names. What's more worrying is the trend in guitars where the prices just go up and up and up. Regular guys like me could buy a MIJ JEM on high school money. Now, you're lucky to afford a MIM Fender.

A mexi-strat costs less now adjusting for inflation than they did in the early 90s.

Plus all the budget stuff is made in SE Asia or China these days and it's a lot cheaper than anything we could've gotten back then.

Even beyond the lower end of the scale I can buy a Korean made guitar today for $400 that's every bit as good as the Japanese made Jackson I paid $800 for in 1998.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 27, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also there are some very decent products coming out of whatever Indonesian factory Fender has the Squiers CV/VMs made in. Most of those are a quick setup and pickup swap to something with whatever voicing floats your boat away from being very very good.

e: Like the duncan design pickups they come with aren't bad in my experience, the ones in my Jazzmaster sound decent, it's just the bafflingly mismatched outputs that make me wanna switch em out and that's on Fender for picking it that way.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 27, 2016

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Is there a "show your pedalboard" thread? There should be a "show your pedalboard" thread.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Warcabbit posted:

Octave up fuzz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ob5VD6-Wik It's... actually pretty good for that. It's a very sweet wah, then you engage the fuzz and it becomes effing brutal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Danelectro-Dan-O-Wah-paddle-/161995095793?hash=item25b7a8fef1:g:7Y4AAOSwuAVWy3OX < here's one on ebay.

Just caught up on this thread and I'm The Guy Who Bought That. Haven't had this much fun in a while, been running JohnnySmitch's Major Tom through it and it's cool, soooo coooooool.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is *not* a post about bein' butt-hurt from the word fanboy. I know that when Dirt used it he meant no harm or foul.

It's just a fact of specialization: If you want to focus on electric guitarists for example, you will sometimes find people who mostly collect nothing but Les Pauls, or SGs. Or Strats. Or Teles. Or 7-9 strings. Or baritones. Or Mustangs or Jaguars or Rickenbackers or Godins or whatever.

To explain myself, I love the look of any Fender Strat or Tele, but I don't want to play a neck with a 7.5" radius and medium frets, or a guitar that weighs 20 lbs. I would LOVE to have a real Fender tobacco sunburst Made In USA Strat, or a paisley Tele, for example.

My problem with these instruments has to do with my hands. My hands aren't especially large or small, they're medium man hands; but my fingers are long-ish. Also, I play lead, so I need to be able to push two-step bends everywhere on the neck without notes fretting out or the action being too high (too heavy lift) or too low (catching several strings at once). For this, I want medium to jumbo frets, a flat radius (I like the Ibanez 16"+ radius a LOT), and my hands are large enough that I don't care about the neck depth. I'll play a baseball bat neck and then a Wizard ruler-thin neck and adapt immediately. I just am comfortable knowing that with level frets I can set the relief and action to the same exact specs with my metal ruler and if the notes pop and nothing buzzes or frets out, I'm happy. Ibanez delivers on this, consistently. I have a good relationship with Hoshino USA so if something's wrong I'm pretty sure I can get it handled with minimum fuss or expense.

Fender has the scale length I love but the radii are a serious issue for me getting the low action I desire.

Gibson has the flat radius but the frets can be tiny and my long fingers hate the shorter scale length (it seriously bothers me when playing up high).

I could enjoy a large assortment of other guitars, e.g. Schecter, ESP, Music Man, Peavey, etc.

I understand the free market, but I don't think I buy Ibanez guitars from a "fanboy" position. I'd have a Schecter or other guitar if it met my specs. I just know that Ibanez offers the features that I want (in terms of neck joint, materials, fretboard radius and fretwire, cutaways, etc.) so I stick with what I trust.

I'm happy for people who love their Teles, Les Pauls, SGs, Strats, etc. I'm just not them. Electric guitars are very personal and it's all subjective.

I hear ya' dude. I bought an Ibanez S from a fellow lefty a few months ago, and the thing plays great and once I'm back home from all the touring, I'm probably gonna do most of my practice / composition / overall playing with it, despite the fact it cost me less than a hundred bucks and the fact that there's nothing wrong with either my Schecters or my old Hagström. Holy poo poo was that neck smooth as hell.

I'm also getting a baritone 7-string soon, but that neck (are those the "Wizard" style necks that people worship, because drat) on the Ibanez just feels like home, and I have sausage fingers for hands. I honestly don't know if I can get comfy with the mammoth of a neck on that Stef Carpenter guitar.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Literally Elvis posted:

Is there a "show your pedalboard" thread? There should be a "show your pedalboard" thread.

Can we talk *actual* pedalboards? I'm looking to buy one. I had a homemade one retrofitted to a padded case a friend gave me. The case is nicely padded but showing it's age. I figure I would treat myself.

and has anyone gotten the Mel9 yet?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Literally Elvis posted:

Please go into detail about your pedalboard

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
By sheer coincidence, I spent part of the weekend finally painting the Holeyboard I was given three birthdays ago, so I should have some new board pics to share, too!

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Who thought this color scheme was a good idea?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

Can we talk *actual* pedalboards? I'm looking to buy one. I had a homemade one retrofitted to a padded case a friend gave me. The case is nicely padded but showing it's age. I figure I would treat myself.

and has anyone gotten the Mel9 yet?

Holeyboards are nice, Pedaltrains are also pretty nice I have a hand-me-down smaller one of those that I got in exchange for loving around with guitar wiring.

If I were gonna buy one I'd probably go Holeyboard though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The Bunk posted:

It's... beautiful... :stwoon:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

After The War posted:

It's... beautiful... :stwoon:

Huh, I didn't know Roger Daltrey was in Floyd.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Literally Elvis posted:

I'd be down for this.

It's way more fun to talk about all the music poo poo you have than to actually play it. :v:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Literally Elvis posted:

This is a thing of beauty. To my eyes it's art. It stimulates the OCD area of my brain that likes things lined up neatly, cleanly and in place. What an absolutely beautiful work of layout and mounting. I don't know what 1/2 of that stuff is but I love when people put that much planning and effort into their dancefloors. Just awesome! I, too, would love to hear all about it!

Wark Say posted:

I hear ya' dude. I bought an Ibanez S from a fellow lefty a few months ago, and the thing plays great and once I'm back home from all the touring, I'm probably gonna do most of my practice / composition / overall playing with it, despite the fact it cost me less than a hundred bucks and the fact that there's nothing wrong with either my Schecters or my old Hagström. Holy poo poo was that neck smooth as hell.
:hfive:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

After having a chlorine-burst jackson dinky with zebra pickups and a reverse scythe headstock I decided to get more serious - I was looking at ES-355's, Les Pauls, etc. and then decided that altho I'm 31 I'm not ready to become a grandpa yet and bought this :

1991 Ibanez 540S in some kind of short-run burst which looks to me like Blackberry burst., but for which I can find no catalogue reference or information on. It's got the Ibanez branded DiMarzio C2/F2 pickups and a Lo-Pro Edge. The frets on it were flat and with massive dents under the strings, so my brother (an amateur luthier) re-crowned them: after a very good clean (there are big finish dents and bashes that I'm going to leave as scars) and a setup it plays very well. I'm a little unsure if the fretboard is more narrow than I'm used to because I keep accidentally pulling the high E off the board, but other than that it's fast and smooth and very comfortable.

After watching a Nita Strauss interview though, I'm somewhat gagging for some crazy aftermarket pickups for no reason other than they have a cool name: "Gravity Storm"!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I was so torn between the Blackberry finish and the natural black I eventually chose on my S. I also keep pulling the high E off the board, it seems very close to that edge which is weird with such a broad flat neck.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

After having a chlorine-burst jackson dinky with zebra pickups and a reverse scythe headstock I decided to get more serious - I was looking at ES-355's, Les Pauls, etc. and then decided that altho I'm 31 I'm not ready to become a grandpa yet and bought this :

1991 Ibanez 540S in some kind of short-run burst which looks to me like Blackberry burst., but for which I can find no catalogue reference or information on. It's got the Ibanez branded DiMarzio C2/F2 pickups and a Lo-Pro Edge. The frets on it were flat and with massive dents under the strings, so my brother (an amateur luthier) re-crowned them: after a very good clean (there are big finish dents and bashes that I'm going to leave as scars) and a setup it plays very well. I'm a little unsure if the fretboard is more narrow than I'm used to because I keep accidentally pulling the high E off the board, but other than that it's fast and smooth and very comfortable.

After watching a Nita Strauss interview though, I'm somewhat gagging for some crazy aftermarket pickups for no reason other than they have a cool name: "Gravity Storm"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DmsEjot7B0

Niiiice!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
better pictures of my garbage

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

The Bunk posted:

Update after actually getting to try it at practice: this thing is great. I think my Moog delay is going back up for sale.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

just got this very nice little reverb very natural sounding - I am actually running a keyboard through it rather than a guitar (yamaha mx49) the keyboard has its own reverb which is crap, I'm preparing for a show in which I'm using a lot of contemporary digital imitations of 80's rhodes&wurli type sounds so this adds a nice more organic element

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The day has arrived.

It still feels somewhat weird spending $293.95 on this small amount of plastic, metal, and wire. Yet, here we are. What sucks is I am going to have to sacrifice a pristine set of strings (leaving myself only four sets left) in order to make this pickup swap.

Pictures of pickups are probably pretty boring, but here are some anyway!

The soldering iron is hot and tinned, but I still have to disassemble the instrument. I hope this was a good idea.

P.S. - Please post more Ibanezes, waiting on you, Dirt!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Dr. Faustus posted:

The day has arrived.

It still feels somewhat weird spending $293.95 on this small amount of plastic, metal, and wire. Yet, here we are. What sucks is I am going to have to sacrifice a pristine set of strings (leaving myself only four sets left) in order to make this pickup swap.

Pictures of pickups are probably pretty boring, but here are some anyway!

The soldering iron is hot and tinned, but I still have to disassemble the instrument. I hope this was a good idea.

P.S. - Please post more Ibanezes, waiting on you, Dirt!

Bro, don't talk about sacrificing strings, you guitar guys get off easy. My electric bass strings (La Bella tapewounds for a 5-string) are currently available at a steal at $50. My raise and performance bonus are coming through soon, and I am finally going to treat myself to new upright strings next month. D'Addario Zyex are fairly inexpensive for upright strings, my usual source has them available at just under $160 for a set compared to my second choice of strings at over $200.

Edit: post a sample when you are done with surgery Faustus tia

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Got some DR Nickel Lo-Riders to try on my Dingwall. I may be joining a band that tunes to A so it'll be interesting to see how they handle the low tuning. I'm already liking the lack of a taper on the E and B, which was my main complaint with Dingwall's own strings.

I'm really feeling the need for some kind of psychedelic effect, so my next purchase will probably be a phaser or flanger or something similar.

CaseFace McGee posted:

Bro, don't talk about sacrificing strings, you guitar guys get off easy. My electric bass strings (La Bella tapewounds for a 5-string) are currently available at a steal at $50. My raise and performance bonus are coming through soon, and I am finally going to treat myself to new upright strings next month. D'Addario Zyex are fairly inexpensive for upright strings, my usual source has them available at just under $160 for a set compared to my second choice of strings at over $200.

I was contemplating picking up some TI flats today as well, until I saw the $120 price tag.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

CaseFace McGee posted:

Sorry CF, I wasn't thinking.

So I've reached this upsetting point in the installation:

I cannot FOR THE LIFE OF ME find an image to tell me which way to install the neck pup. I figure wiring harness coming out in the direction of the controls MUST be right, but the labels are different directions and I just want someone to tell me which way to orient this neck pup before I put strings on in it and find out it's wrong and have to waste another set of strings to fix it. I'm assuming it matters.

Can anyone help? I gotta go to bed soon and I'm really frustrated.

VV Fair enough. I just wanted to get it "right" the first time and and I can't believe I can't find the proper orientation of the neck pickup with just a quick search. gently caress it, I have a 50/50 chance so here goes.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 30, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It... sort of does? Some humbuckers are deliberately uneven on the coils so the orientation makes a difference, it's a bit less noticeable on more symmetric ones. Either way it's up to preference. I can't find which one if any is preferred on JBE so I would tend towards "gently caress it just do one then maybe switch next time I change strings if I'm not happy". Tone isn't a correct/incorrect thing it's just whatever the gently caress you want

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
"It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your rear end."

This thing is incredible. TS goodness with a fantastic adjustable tone stack.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Sweet. Jesus.
I was supposed to be in bed 90 minutes ago but these pickups. I haven't even played with the height yet, but the they have this chime. This ability to take gain and run with it. The three positions are already so balanced and even.
This Sunday or Monday when I can mic up my tube amps I'll post some clips. I'm speechless right now.

Only downside, they did get a bit microphonic when I went crazy with the gain and volume, but I'm not sure it's the pickups' fault yet. I was in a bit of a hurry.

I present the Talman TM302MTFB with Joe Barden Danny Gatton T-type pickups. Standard wiring, nothing fancy.

Good night!

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So the Ibanez I drunk ordered the other night came in today. I have to work at noon, so I don't have much time to play it or get decent pictures.

Ibanez RG6005:

20 minutes of play time review:

The neck is a "Wizard III" style neck. I expected it to be thinner than it is. This is my first Ibanez, and I always heard they had crazy thin necks. It's thin, but not crazy thin like I expected. Very comfortable though, and feels "fast". Super low action. I like the look of the fretboard dots being offset to the top too. Nice touch. It has I think 10's on it right now, this weekend I will set it up with my normal set of 8's, and I bet it will be ridiculous to play.

It has active EMG 66 & 57 pickups. My first time ever using active pickups...They sound pretty good to me. I don't really notice anything about them that makes the "active" part stand out other than it being louder at the same amp volume as other guitars I have.

The "killswitch" that is preinstalled(the toggle where a tone pot should be) is trash. It works, but it's super stiff, and I don't see anyone could make it useful as is. I already ordered a button style toggle that should be here tomorrow, I think that will be much better.

The guitar looks brand new despite being used. Saved 160 bucks buying used. Worth it.

Overall I like it a lot, and will put some hours on it this weekend.

edit: Every picture I took looks terrible. It's a very nice looking guitar with. Dark grey with a quilted maple kind of top. I'm not a morning person, probably why I can't figure out how to get a decent pic.

edit 2: Here is a stock image so you can see what the finish actually looks like:

Dirt fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 31, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I played one of those in a guitar center, it was pretty okay neck wise. The pickups... if you really wanna get what they're capable of do the 18v mod where you add a second battery, that really unlocks what EMGs can do.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The 57/66 set seems cool. nice guitar. the finish on mine i just got (up the page a bit) is hard to photograph too, but it's not like it has a crazy figured top or anything. dark finishes are just hard to capture.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I never really went in for Ibanez RG guitars, I never cared much for the aesthetics of it. I am however deeply in love with my Artcore Semi-Hollow and have plans somewhere down the line to buy a Saber.

The artcore necks are 3-4mm thicker compared to the Wizards but it's still easy enough for my girlfriend who has tiny faerie hands to play. Those super 58 pickups are flat out amazing for what amounts to a 700ish dollar guitar to boot.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DeathSandwich posted:

I never really went in for Ibanez RG guitars, I never cared much for the aesthetics of it.

They'd be alright if it wasn't for that pointy lower horn that looks like someone bent it outward.

Thankfully World Musical remedied that issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I think I love Ibanez guitars now.