Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

atomicthumbs posted:

I have "fond" memories of trying to figure out the right xfree86 modeline so my trinitron would do something other than 640x480

"those" were the "days"

lol yeah that was cool. Suse for the win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
gnome 3 is pretty cool with the dock extension and enabling the applications/places menu along with the the minimize/maximize button, oh yeah you can also put the tray icons in top

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

geonetix posted:

also my fedora is now running i3, which is still a bit weird coming from dwm but anything is better than 500px title bars

idk why gnome can't just do what osx does and make the title bars large when the app puts controls and stuff in there and small when it's just the title and close button

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Because then they'd have to backpedal on their stupid convergence poo poo and somebody would get butthurt about losing face

See also: everything to do with Metro on Windows

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i think im actually going to switch to arch on my laptop, from kubuntu, since kubuntu 16.04 will ship with plasma 5.5 instead of 5.6, and theres a decent bug in 5.5 which is really irritating: plasma desktop crashes, every. single. loving. time. i plug in or remove a external monitor, and i usually use development kubuntu versions on my laptop anyway, so a rolling release seems more appropriate. just need to set up the every-boot btrfs snapshots im used to so i can easily undo things if `pacman -Syu` breaks everything

doesnt look too bad to set everything up the way ive been used to kubuntu working, just need networkmanager and plasma-nm instead of systemd-networkd i think, and steam and vmware workstation look quite easy

oh now i also get to set up a UEFI system from scratch, which i have only done once, and that took me a few tries when copying a kubuntu install from one machine to the other (didnt really know what i was doing with efibootmgr)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
external monitors are just a shitshow in linux. always

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
man bootctl

All you need to know about installing w/ EFI.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i think the last time i had a problem with hotplugging external monitors in kde 4 was before 2012, i dont remember much before kde 4.8 (kubuntu 12.04) but kde <= 4.5 or so was kind of a shitshow in multiple ways

and now it allegedly has taken until plasma 5.6 for hotplugging to work again; i dont actually know this firsthand since i actually took the time to install debug symbols for everything, try to report a bug or more likely attach a new stack trace to an existing one, and found the "master" bug (which all others were closed saying "duplicate of X"), which said "fixed in 5.6"

now if only scaling wallpaper didnt make the image look like blurry poo poo, id be perfectly happy with plasma 5

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

external monitors are just a shitshow in linux. always

everything is a shitshow.

external monitors with laptops only ever just worked for me when i learned all the poo poo xrandr could do than wrote some lovely bash script to work exactly with the few monitors I always used. but I don't use linux on a laptop anymore because it sucks and creates a lot more headaches when you can just use a desktop with an ethernet connection.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
sometimes linux makes me laugh. i goto use audacity to fix some thing. no LAME. only LAME is thru APT. I search. I find the answer is to uninstall audacity and reinstall audacity-nonfree. thanks richard stallman

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
the worst part about Linux is that it's Free as in Speech.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
also my computer couldnt play the outputted file. but it said click here to install the codecs or whatever. so i clicked it and soft5ware center pops up. click install on 3 buttons. works fine. Goldmine.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
also i cant mount my terabyte drive kuz it was suspended in windows before it was pulled. so ive gotta do some terminaling. epic ftw

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

The_Franz posted:

idk why gnome can't just do what osx does and make the title bars large when the app puts controls and stuff in there and small when it's just the title and close button

shouldn't be too hard to diy if it doesn't already exist as an extension

Lysidas posted:

now if only scaling wallpaper didnt make the image look like blurry poo poo, id be perfectly happy with plasma 5

feh?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=338506

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

atomicthumbs posted:

actually, that is good

the worst part is that some influential linux developers think people should be actively prevented from using anything that isn't

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i meant, have you tried using "feh" to manage your wallpaper instead of whatever plasma uses

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
dota works good as hell on my murdered out linux gaming rig but one thing thats hosed up is i have it on "windowed but full screen friendly" mode which hides the titlebar. but when i get facebook popup notifications it reveals the title bar and pushes the whole screen down to accommodate it. when the notification evaporates it clunks back up.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

atomicthumbs posted:

so 'free as in beer' is something that i hear constantly at work and ive no idea what it means

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
free beer is typically low quality and poo poo yeah

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Lysidas posted:

i think im actually going to switch to arch on my laptop, from kubuntu, since kubuntu 16.04 will ship with plasma 5.5 instead of 5.6, and theres a decent bug in 5.5 which is really irritating: plasma desktop crashes, every. single. loving. time. i plug in or remove a external monitor, and i usually use development kubuntu versions on my laptop anyway, so a rolling release seems more appropriate. just need to set up the every-boot btrfs snapshots im used to so i can easily undo things if `pacman -Syu` breaks everything

doesnt look too bad to set everything up the way ive been used to kubuntu working, just need networkmanager and plasma-nm instead of systemd-networkd i think, and steam and vmware workstation look quite easy

oh now i also get to set up a UEFI system from scratch, which i have only done once, and that took me a few tries when copying a kubuntu install from one machine to the other (didnt really know what i was doing with efibootmgr)

If you're going to do arch on the desktop and you don't feel like fiddling around and wasting time installing use antegeros. That way you can get to the real dicking around faster.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Smythe posted:

also i cant mount my terabyte drive kuz it was suspended in windows before it was pulled. so ive gotta do some terminaling. epic ftw

mlyp

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

this is probably the furthest conceivable thing from being a bug.

moonshine is...... posted:

If you're going to do arch on the desktop and you don't feel like fiddling around and wasting time installing use antegeros. That way you can get to the real dicking around faster.

or idk you could just use Arch instead of "hurr it's $upstream_distribution but with a different wallpaper default package set lovely shell script that gets run during installation"

Arch ftw

(the community is quite poo poo apparently but then I don't interact with them. Nothing's perfect)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

yes its probs good for protecting my data its just annoying is all

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

so 'free as in beer' is something that i hear constantly at work and ive no idea what it means

free as in yosmas

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

or idk you could just use Arch instead of "hurr it's $upstream_distribution but with a different wallpaper default package set lovely shell script that gets run during installation"

Arch ftw

(the community is quite poo poo apparently but then I don't interact with them. Nothing's perfect)

I liked the lovely GUI install. Sure I could do it all by hand, but I'd just rather let it download and install while I drink coffee or something.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ahmeni posted:

free as in yosmas

i sent it last week!!! its barely even summer!

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i sent it last week!!! its barely even summer!

my only hope is that it's hundreds of RHEL5 stickers because nothing would make me happier

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i just did a EFI arch install in a VM and it took me all of like 5 minutes of my time, and thats two different attempts because of a EFI fuckup i did the first time:

ubuntu variants have /boot as part of a linux filesystem (journaled, which seems like a good idea) and mount the ESP at /boot/efi, whereas systemd-boot seems to assume the ESP is mounted at /boot and the kernel and initrd are in that partition, which makes me kind of uneasy

its relatively common to have kernel updates or things which trigger a initrd to be rebuilt, and it seems kinda dangerous to have a fat32 partition mounted read-write all the time with relatively frequent modificatdions of things necessary to boot (/boot/efi is mounted rw on ubuntu too, but its really only grub updates which cause modifications to it and those are far less common than kernel version bumps or anything which triggers a initrd rebuild)

think i'll keep using grub instead, shouldnt be too hard to configure /boot and the ESP the way i like and am used to

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
This isn't a rackmount server in a cheapo colo, if things get hosed for real then booting from a flash drive to fix it isn't the end of the world you know.

But really, what's going to go wrong in a RW mounted partition that you almost never write to? You could set up a systemd automount unit to automatically unmount it after a minute of inactivity, but that just seems like total paranoia.

Lysidas posted:

think i'll keep using grub instead

no dont

well there's your problem

mount your ESP on /boot, don't overcomplicate poo poo for no good reason.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
well to be fair centos and probably redhat and fedora also keep the kernel and initrd out of the ESP, i agree that it'll never be a practical problem for a laptop but its not completely "extra complexity for no benefit that the weirdos running ubuntu decided to do"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

I have "fond" memories of trying to figure out the right xfree86 modeline so my trinitron would do something other than 640x480

"those" were the "days"

this is why proprietary unix workstations seemed so cool in the 1990s

even the firmware interface has a mouse cursor!!
unix boots directly to X11 and automatically discovers my monitor resolution!?
i dont gotta go through a 10 step wizard to tell it i have 3 buttons?
magic

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lol openbsd finally got 'smp' pf and networking code

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is why proprietary unix workstations seemed so cool in the 1990s

even the firmware interface has a mouse cursor!!
unix boots directly to X11 and automatically discovers my monitor resolution!?
i dont gotta go through a 10 step wizard to tell it i have 3 buttons?
magic

don't forget

- hardware that wasn't utterly scrub tier bottom of the barrel garbage
- release to release binary compatibility, often for both user and kernel level code
- an OS that actually had people working on the parts that were important to customers
- some degree of high-level integration across systems and product lines, so at least poo poo from the same vendor running the same OS release would work together
- tech writers
- QA

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

- tech writers

oh god this one is still true

red hat tries really hard but red hat man pages and doc books are only a pale shadow of ye olde sunsolve or sgi tpl. the volume, qualilty, and focus in documentation was outstanding by today's standards

(of course, it kinda had to be: there was no google, no stack exchange, and usenet was never as popular as one might have hoped)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

eschaton posted:

don't forget

- hardware that wasn't utterly scrub tier bottom of the barrel garbage
- release to release binary compatibility, often for both user and kernel level code
- an OS that actually had people working on the parts that were important to customers
- some degree of high-level integration across systems and product lines, so at least poo poo from the same vendor running the same OS release would work together
- tech writers
- QA

- ability to experiment with cool non-x86-ibm-derived architectures

the sgi octane for instance is pretty cool and mostly unsupported by a linux because of that.

quote:

The system is based on SGI's Xtalk architecture. This means it does not use a system bus; instead it has a Crossbow application specific integrated circuit (ASIC), referred to as Xbow, a dynamic crossbar switch that connects the XIO ports to the hub. One of the ports is used for the processor and memory subsystem, one is available for PCI-X expansion and four are XIO slots (packet-based high-bandwidth bus, somewhat similar to HyperTransport).

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

the sgi octane for instance is pretty cool and mostly unsupported by a linux because of that.

linux support for the octane is limited only by sgi's cooperation, not by its non-x86 architecture. linux supports lots of other mips64 systems really well. mostly systems where the vendor is interested in a mips64 port.

when sgi embraced linux they kinda wrote off their mips64 platform as useless, so they had very limited interest in linux ports to their "legacy" hardware.

this was not entirely a good move. sgi formally embraced linux and itanium in 1997. linux/itanium revenue didn't outgrow irix/mips revenue until 2006, when they discontinued irix/mips.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

atomicthumbs posted:

- ability to experiment with cool non-x86-ibm-derived architectures

well, yeah

why would you want to run a poo poo awful kernel on good hardware?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it happened

linux is finally on the desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

triple sulk posted:

it happened

linux is finally on the desktop