Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Aranea will probably show up to get told "i told you so" by Meenah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

WAR FOOT posted:

Well, there's a bunch of characters that feel like they just sort of faded away. Sollux, Aradia and Aranea are the headliners, and I feel we'll probably see Aranea again given Cool Vriska and Meenah's discussion about her. Tavros sort of has his closure by doing something valuable and becoming a friendleader. Kurloz and Gamzee probably still have poo poo to do. Eridan and Feferi are possibly out of the comic, except for in the ghost army? I get the feeling the scene between Eridan and Sollux/Feferi in Remember was meant to be some closure for them.

Equius and Nepeta are around in the form of Arquius and Davepeta, Callie's been ditched but will probably play some role, Jade's still asleep, off with Vaguely Sinister Calliope, who does that leave that isn't directly involved in the upcoming Vriska Plan Pileup?

Well the thing about Sollux and Aradia is that they have chosen to fade away. They had the chance to stay on the meteor and continue to be a part of the story, but they had both had enough excitement for two lifetimes and decided to simply walk away. Basically they're out. Feferi is hanging out with them now as she too is perfectly content where she is. She's always loved the dream bubbles, after all, she did have them created.

Eridan's story arc had a satisfying ending when he got cut in half, and he even got a little bit of closure during [S]Terezi: Remem8er. Kurloz is making arrangements for LE in the background as he always has, but you can't expect him to play a serious role in this story any more than Horuss or Meulin. Gamzee is definitely going to crop up again, no worries there.

I don't think Aranea is going to come back. She's served her purpose in the story as the catalyst for John's mastery of his retcon powers, and her personal arc is over too. She tried to model herself after Mindfang, just like Vriska. She came up with a poorly thought-out plan that she assumed would work because she was in the center of it, just like Vriska. It got her killed, just like Vriska. It's entirely possible that you just don't get a second chance at being a dream bubble ghost and she is actually for real no coming back capital D Dead.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Yo, just because this will likely be the last chance, even if I don't really want it to happen because it needs too much esoteric horseshit Homestuck knowledge to make sense, I'm calling that Caliborn's gonna look into the bunny's eyes and get mind controlled. Or perhaps into Lil' Cal's eyes. I'm not sure who's gonna be doing the mind controlling, but it's going to be tied into Skaia and/or the green sun. Might be Vriska. Might be dead god Calliope.

Homestuck's really fun to think about and come up with crazy theories for. There's just so many puzzle pieces that can fit together in fun ways. I have no delusions that any of the poo poo I say's gonna be real, even if I did kinda call Aranea being a villain (that's about as much as I called, I was thinking at the time that she would be the secret superboss).

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
God Bless Ye Merry,

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Over this comic, I managed to get a PhD and move to a new place for work. Seeing it update reminded me how I felt seeing update back in the day. Christ I'm a nerd.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Someone make/find a hiatus chart like the one for hunter x hunter.

There's a list of pauses on mspadventures but that only covers up to 2014.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's called a calendar

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Toxxupation posted:

It's called a calendar

:golfclap:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Upd8!

e: CAN I BE AT LEAST A *LITTLE* MORE IMPORTANT THAN LIKE DOOMED EQUIUS #45832, WHO IS WEARING A SAUCY MAID OUTFIT FOR SOME loving REASON?!

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 29, 2016

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Gay singularity didn't stop being a thing.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Karkat is great. I appreciate he seems to finally be coming out of his funk, now that he's got a whiff of leadership again. Even if no one actually will let him lead anything.

edit: His poses are Scott Pilgrim as gently caress.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 29, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WilliamAnderson posted:

Gay singularity didn't stop being a thing.

No, no, they're just good friends.

Boy, that was one scary drawing of the Condesce. And all the good guys just raising their tiny four-fingered fists... nooooo.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
This is some quality Karkat.

I missed Karkat so much :allears:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
aw ye, shoutynubs back in the freaking saddle

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That was a drat fine Roxy speech, too.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"roundcircles"

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
karkat brah, yer makin kids cry brah

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Don't be hatin' on maid Equius, Karkat.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Blackheart posted:

Don't be hatin' on maid Equius, Karkat.

He said it was saucy what more do you want

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Homestuck is dead. Long live Homestuck.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

By the way, the Chrome update-checker is broken, at least on my Mac. A good substitute is this web page, which doesn't hammer the MSPA servers. http://upd8.ninja/

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It took me a while to recall that the reason Karkat doesn't remember being recruited by Meenah was that that was pre-retcon Karkat.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I liked that the punchline to John's long history with Betty Crocker is him just going "Eh, doesn't matter who she is. We just gotta gently caress her up!" :allears:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ironically, post-retcon Karkat who would remember that chat could very well be around somewhere, being a dead ghost. On the one hand it might be neat to see some of the more "significant" ghosts like the ones we saw in Terezi: Remember, but on the other hand they'll probably just get double-murdered.

Speaking of double-murder, buckle in for ghostmurder 2016, because that army is gonna get creamed. I guess Karkat's impervious since dying in the dream bubbles while you're actually still alive just wakes you up, so my guess is Karkat gets all worked up about fighting on the front lines and is incinerated instantly, only to snap back awake so he can go wander into trouble in real life.

That Derse scene was a little eh, I guess. John shrugging off the Betty Crocker revelation felt like it swung a little too much to the other direction - c'mon, it's at least a little surprising in a "that's a weird thing for her to be" way, even if he doesn't start shaking his fist at the sky and cursing the dread batterwitch. I suppose the updates this week leading up to the flash will be setting up every fight so that the flash can resolve them all in one big battle, so I guess the updates after that are aftermath and setup for the final battle involving defeating Caliborn/Lord English?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Dolash posted:

That Derse scene was a little eh, I guess. John shrugging off the Betty Crocker revelation felt like it swung a little too much to the other direction

Andrew Hussie seems psychotically obsessed with undoing or avoiding all the comedic segments that made Homestuck so good in the early chapters.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dolash posted:

Speaking of double-murder, buckle in for ghostmurder 2016, because that army is gonna get creamed. I guess Karkat's impervious since dying in the dream bubbles while you're actually still alive just wakes you up, so my guess is Karkat gets all worked up about fighting on the front lines and is incinerated instantly, only to snap back awake so he can go wander into trouble in real life.

I wonder if he's going to somehow handwavily god-tier?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Andrew Hussie seems psychotically obsessed with undoing or avoiding all the comedic segments that made Homestuck so good in the early chapters.

well the only thing funnier than a joke is one thats told twice, as my grand pappy used to say

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I wonder if he's going to somehow handwavily god-tier?

Maybe we'll finally find out why god-tier Karkat has no wings.

Or maybe he just has reeeeaaalllllly tiny wings :3: I kind of hope that's the answer.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Li'l stubby wings to match his li'l stubby horns. :3:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The only more Hussie thing would be for all of these updates to set up the half-dozen or so penultimate battles with all the various characters and enemies only for the next flash to be NEPETAQUEST 2016, a dream-bubble walkaround, and then the last week of regular updates is just post-fight dialogue where we have to infer how all the offscreen battles went from the survivors' idle conversations.

Considering how much time and energy went into making the finale, I'm really wondering how big these two remaining flashes will be, and what form they'll take. I'd be a little surprised if there actually isn't some kind of epilogue walkaround segment that lets you check in with a bunch of characters before the last page. It might be a little unfulfilling if the ending flash is just a great, big punchup followed by everyone walking through the door into the new universe, fade to black.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Quite literally every joke in homestuck has been beaten into the ground endlessly, to the point where it's become an active negative of the story as written that every single loving moment and plot beat is immediately undercut or kneecapped through a thin veneer of irony

Nothing ever lands because everything has to be interpreted through that layer of "but it's not serious, lol!"

the fact that hussie starting with the remember flash that closed out this latest megapause is actually just trying to be sincere for the most part when closing out this trainwreck of a story is an Actually Good Thing, something that should be applauded over criticized

like, john reacting like a mature adult over X2 MELTDOWN COMBO or whatever shitass predictable non-"joke" reaction everyone expected, Karkat actually missing his boyfriend over having some bucket-based mishap or immediately goofed on for being a loud self-important fool, these are all Good Story Moments, Not Bad Ones

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I counter that there is some middle-ground between x2 Meltdown Combo and winking at the audience about yet another subverted expectation. It actually is really weird that the Condesce is apparently Betty Crocker, whether or not John has a previous history of flipping his poo poo over gushers. It's a nit-picky point but he could probably afford to be just a little more "wait, what?" about it rather than being deliberately underwhelmed so Rose can call him mature and underline his character growth in case the audience forgot it over the last year or so.

It's not a big deal or anything, but it's also sort of a part of the problem you mentioned that Homestuck has such a crust of old irony jokes built up that people have been waiting on that deliberately defusing them all so we can carry on with the actual story ends up being awkward.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dolash posted:

That Derse scene was a little eh, I guess. John shrugging off the Betty Crocker revelation felt like it swung a little too much to the other direction - c'mon, it's at least a little surprising in a "that's a weird thing for her to be" way, even if he doesn't start shaking his fist at the sky and cursing the dread batterwitch.

On the other hand, it did give us John calling the Condesce a "sexy sea lady with too much hair" :v:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

like, john reacting like a mature adult over X2 MELTDOWN COMBO or whatever shitass predictable non-"joke" reaction everyone expected, Karkat actually missing his boyfriend over having some bucket-based mishap or immediately goofed on for being a loud self-important fool, these are all Good Story Moments, Not Bad Ones

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bobulus posted:

It took me a while to recall that the reason Karkat doesn't remember being recruited by Meenah was that that was pre-retcon Karkat.

Oh wow, I never got that. That makes it much less confusing, for sure.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dolash posted:

I counter that there is some middle-ground between x2 Meltdown Combo and winking at the audience about yet another subverted expectation. It actually is really weird that the Condesce is apparently Betty Crocker, whether or not John has a previous history of flipping his poo poo over gushers. It's a nit-picky point but he could probably afford to be just a little more "wait, what?" about it rather than being deliberately underwhelmed so Rose can call him mature and underline his character growth in case the audience forgot it over the last year or so.

It's not a big deal or anything, but it's also sort of a part of the problem you mentioned that Homestuck has such a crust of old irony jokes built up that people have been waiting on that deliberately defusing them all so we can carry on with the actual story ends up being awkward.

this is a fundamental failure of the story as presented up to this point

you're sorta right but this is the least flawed option of a bunch of flawed options, and i'd rather the story more-or-less abandon its humor for a straightforward closing out of the story and more importantly the characters I've spent the past half decade invested in, for better or for worse, than yet another saw parody or joke riff done for the fifteenth time or whatever

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Android Blues posted:

Oh wow, I never got that. That makes it much less confusing, for sure.

Yeah until I caught it I thought he was just screwing with Meenah by insisting he had no idea what she was talking about.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Johns irrational hatred of Betty Crocker was, in and of itself, a joke and not really a major fixture of his character that needed resolution.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Oh, neat, the bad webcomic thread helped me realize that Homestuck is back.

Think after the story ends people will still want end-of-story avatars or will the fandom on SA just die immediately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Oh, neat, the bad webcomic thread helped me realize that Homestuck is back.

Think after the story ends people will still want end-of-story avatars or will the fandom on SA just die immediately?

that cyanide capsule was implanted in your molar for a reason