Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

best senpais.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

I actually keep forgetting how long Towa's hair is.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah, I think it was the DRM which prevented 60 fps. Joyland's ports of Falcom games had some kind of weird system where they'd constantly ping certain servers for authentication and in doing so, dropped the framerate down to single digits at times. Hence, it's :filez:.

Specifically: they use standard SecuROM, which is bad enough. The thing is, SecuROM is usually wrapped around just the executable and has to phone home every time the executable is accessed to boot the program. Obnoxious, but not unlivable (usually).

Joyoland, in an effort to make the game harder to crack, has, as I understand it, SecuROM-wrapped every single file in their ports. Whenever the game tries to access any data, it must phone home and go through the process. Every time.

Needless to say, this renders load times generally intolerable.

also I should post in this thread more and emerge from my haze of hellish mobage

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So I just finished Cold Steel, great game, possibly leans on the obvious anime high school cliches a bit too much but at least it's brazen about it.

I like how the plot and setting more or less turned into Code Geass at the tail end. Nobody told me Kiseki would turn into a mecha anime! Looking forward to how CS2 continues things because ooooh boy does it have a lot of explaining to do.

Other random thoughts:
- I played on Hard and there were actually some pretty legitimate challenges. I had a tough time with the Ch 3 Spider Boss and C, the final schoolhouse boss wiped me with its AOE once but otherwise wasn't too bad. I spent way too many tries on the real real final boss before I realized that you could double buff yourself and once that clicked it was smooth sailing. Fun finale regardless.

- I'm already sick of Emma and her refusal to say anything of value or worth until it's too late to matter.

- Actually on that note, there is a lot of very thinly-justified refusals by authority figures to give the class any useful information until the writers arbitrarily deem it worthy to the player. I'd give examples but I don't even know where to start, and it was by far my biggest problem with the game's writing.

- Olivier was and continues to be the best there is :allears:

- I know we're in the weird position of getting Cold Steel long before the Crossbell arc games that it frequently makes allusions too, but it's still worrying to me that I could end up spoiled on what happens in those games just by virtue of playing this and its sequels. Hopefully it doesn't end up too bad in that regard.

- Major ending spoilers: Man I thought the 'Professor Alba is secretly the main villain' plot twist in TitS would have prepared me for this, but Crow being C didn't even occur to me at all until near the end. I think the whole deal with Crow disappearing on the day of Osbourne's speech finally raised some red flags, and when an NPC said that he was in the capital to watch the speech personally everything finally clicked for me. I'm very very interested to see what they do with his character in the sequel.

- Sharon being an Enforcer was pretty obvious, as was Vita not being on the level, though I didn't peg her for being an Anguis. I'm rather curious what the hell Ouroboros is even trying to accomplish here.

- I used a guide to double check my AP collection to get it maxed out, cause hell if I'm going to let Falcom's dumb bullshit hidden requirements catch me off guard again. I actually did pretty good all things considered, there was really only maybe 3-4 things that I missed completely that I had to take care of.

- Book collection side quests will never ever ever be fun Falcom, stop doing it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ys vs sora no kiseki is a really good game when you learn how to play it, which the story mode tutorial makes just clear enough with the images in its tutorial prompts

hosed up that estelle and adol have to fight their friends, though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://a.pomf.cat/iuezxv.webm

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
So that's where Adol's bloodlust comes from: pent up rage at terrible employment.

EDIT:

The Colonel posted:

ys vs sora no kiseki is a really good game when you learn how to play it, which the story mode tutorial makes just clear enough with the images in its tutorial prompts

hosed up that estelle and adol have to fight their friends, though

Is there a fan translation for this now?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Slur posted:

Is there a fan translation for this now?

nope

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The real reason why Adol keeps sinking every boat he gets on, at last.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ottel, my favorite action rpg protagonist.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Ottel, my favorite action rpg protagonist.

I'm fairly sure in one version of Ys I, Dogi was renamed to Colin as well.

EDIT: Speaking of Dogi, he sure looks different in Ys VIII.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/03/29/ys-viii-introduces-dogi-barbaros-system-details/

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 29, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the ys ova so far is not terrible, but it has the awful problem of spending too much time on people talking, and not nearly enough time on adol bumping into things

and considering this is ys 1, most of the characters don't really have much personality, and the ova doesn't give them much more than they already have

i feel like it should be a lot shorter, basically

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 29, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the ys ova so far is not terrible, but it has the awful problem of spending too much time on people talking, and not nearly enough time on adol bumping into things

and considering this is ys 1, most of the characters don't really have much personality, and the ova doesn't give them much more than they already have

i feel like it should be a lot shorter, basically

I thought the OVA covered Ys 1 and 2?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I thought the OVA covered Ys 1 and 2?

ys 2 is a separate ova, it's four episodes long

e; https://a.pomf.cat/cgycps.mp4

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 29, 2016

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I'm trying out Alternative Saga, it's neat and I like SEVEN's battle system way more in the context of an arena battler but I'm really bad at it.

Edit: The whole "fighting game with levels" thing kinda sucks though, and level differences in this are way worse than in something like Dissidia. I'm one level below Lloyd and he's taking me to jail

Double Edit: What the gently caress why is Lloyd so freakin strong

Reco fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 29, 2016

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

That's Dave Wittenberg as Adol, isn't it? Somehow that's really funny to me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lloyd is just kind of a poo poo wrecker iirc. There's a couple characters in ys vs Kiseki that are a fair bit harder than others

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
for example: giant grey ogre men

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Hivac posted:

Double Edit: What the gently caress why is Lloyd so freakin strong

Because this is a 2010 release and we have a new game to promote, dammit :v:

He's also quite potent in his own game, as his skillset is basically "Estelle, but a bit better and with more defensive stats overall". For example, his tonfas have innate +defense.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

That dash that does like 3 times the damage anything Estelle can use is infuriating

SpaceDrake posted:

Yeah Ao would have been the most recent game IIRC, so it would make sense to make the protagonist of it in this big crossover strong as hell to make sure people checked out his game :v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope that some day falcom makes a sequel to ys vs kiseki and puts in characters from a bunch of different games, too

playing as parin or gallandou would own

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 29, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

SpaceDrake posted:

He's also quite potent in his own game, as his skillset is basically "Estelle, but a bit better and with more defensive stats overall". For example, his tonfas have innate +defense.

But is his personality better than Rean's, or as entertaining as Estelle's?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I think Rean would have been fine if he wasn't unvoiced for half the game, because his voiced scenes were pretty great.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Slur posted:

don't worry slur, he's going to drag your delusions out into the daylights

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

All I know about Lloyd from watching a few Zero/Ao videos is that he has a Craft where he boosts his ATK/DEF/SPD by yelling really loud, so I've decided that he's good.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

go away

edit:

The Colonel posted:

for example: giant grey ogre men

Jesus loving christ gently caress these guys

what is this nonsense

Reco fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 29, 2016

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I feel you're going to enjoy the Bladelord.

It's been a while since I played it, but I don't recall the ogres being that bad compared to some other fights.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

It's mostly that the AI partner always dies like an idiot and I'm underleveled which means they just buttstomp everywhere while Joshua is a corpse.

Edit: Okay yeah Loewe is absolutely bonkers but I can't really get mad about that

Reco fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 30, 2016

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Doubleposting because I'm sorry,

you what now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hivac posted:

you what now

Should have gone with COM RAV RAV

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Hivac posted:

you what now

Like I said. Some other fights.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the 3 v 1 isn't actually that bad as i recall. they all have lower than usual stats and seem to have hobbled AI so they don't use their dangerous moves as much

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

the 3 v 1 isn't actually that bad as i recall. they all have lower than usual stats and seem to have hobbled AI so they don't use their dangerous moves as much

Yeah, it wasn't nearly as bad as it looked. I just spammed Hurricane a bunch and they fell over pretty fast. It sure scared the hell out of me though

The Loewe 1-on-1 was probably the hardest fight but it was really fun too. The game made me imagine some kind of weird version of Trails but with SEVEN's combat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the chester fight is one of the most fun in estelle's story, honestly

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i think the chester fight is one of the most fun in estelle's story, honestly

I was too busy being blinded by rage just because it's loving chester so I don't remember any of it, I just kinda facetanked him and won

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

after much consideration, ive come to the conclusion that every character in trails of cold steel owns, especially alisa.

also, this is good.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Slur posted:

This one's gonna come down to opinion, but yes and yes. In a different way than Estelle, he's really entertaining. It helps that he's paired up with 3 and/or 5 people who complement him fantastically.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lloyd also has about as many women falling for him in the games as Adol does in Ys.

Cold Steel 2 spoilers: He's also the only protagonist who has interacted with all of the other protagonists of the series thus far, meaning he's met Estelle, Joshua, Kevin and Rean.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
http://i.imgur.com/ZrVDd8e.webm

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 31, 2016

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

Cake Attack posted:

also let's watch badass falcom commercials from the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vxzB2tLpWY

These are rad as hell.

So... just so y'all know, the PCE version of Ys 1&2 was a game I was rather obsessed with in my teen years, so I'm currently making attempts at speedrunning the Ys I section over at http://twitch.tv/superhappybros/
Will be going after Ys II after getting a decent enough time, then maybe both at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm finally finished watching the ys 1 ova

https://a.pomf.cat/apgqap.mp4

it was decent. there were some really good parts, actually, the animation was generally good, and episode 4 and 7 were great