Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

It's very good. The problem is that I don't think the deck that it's going to go in is good.

Yeah, it's a shame BR tribal vampires is the only deck you're allowed to put it in.

On the subject of Languish, I'll third that it is pretty tits right now. I've been brewing a BR control with Dark DwellersDank Memers, Ob Nix and Chandra, and a Dragonlord Kolaghan that's pretty much stomped through all my friends' brews on the back of Languish and Goblins/KCommand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

stinkles1112 posted:

So what are everybody's thoughts on Heir of Falkenrath? It seems... insane, frankly. Instant speed discard trigger, relevant typing, given the relative power level of now-cards vs 2011-cards, this feels like it could be this format's Delver. One extra mana in exchange for more synergies and guaranteed transformation is a more than fair trade off.

Also shout out to Autumnal Gloom, definitely think that guy is gonna be a standard player and the design and flavor is super sweet.

He's going into my cube and a lot of others which doesn't always translate to constructed play but is a good sign.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Jeffe posted:

Sorry is this isn't the right thread for this but since I'm asking about things in the game involving popular decks and cards I hope it's applicable. I'm only a collector, I've played a little on the ipad games but that's about it, and I admit I am pretty ignorant on a lot of things, including the different things like legacy or standard and whatnot. I am not some scalper, more a hoarder who is getting overwhelmed with trying to sort things, but that's neither here nor there.

I had pulled a Jace, Vryn's Prodigy (yay) when Origins came out - I have absurd luck with core sets it seems. I really want a Liliana of the Veil. I've seen how cards in the core sets go down once they cycle out (I had quite a few good cards in M15 which have now halved in price, at least). What is the expectation of the Jace card in the nearish future? Will it suddenly go down a bunch once it cycles out? In the meantime Liliana keeps rising in value - I wish I had bitten the bullet months ago and paid $60 or whatever it was. Before more time goes on, would it seem reasonable to try to sell the Jace (hoping I get 50-60 for it) and kick in the rest for the Liliana? I might even be able to scrounge together some duplicates of decent cards from Magic and other games to put more into it. If in 6 months Jace goes down to say 50 and Liliana is 150 or even more, it'll not be a good plan anymore, so I want to do it as soon as possible if I need to. I've pretty much never sold cards I have only one of, but am willing to do it in this case to get something I would prefer, you know?

If on the other hand anyone thinks, well wait 6 months, Jace will be 150 and Liliana will still be 130 or whatever it is, then I'd wait and try to do a better trade, of course. I don't usually care about price other than grinning if I manage to get something good, I know I won't retire on this stuff, but this is unfortunately a case where I have to play the (financial) game to get what I want. It might all be a moot point if the shop I usually go to either doesn't want Jace or doesn't have Liliana, but I won't be there for a few days and any suggestions here may give me time to prepare (finding other cards to sell, etc).

Liliana will slowly crawl up until reprint, and everyone is assuming that will be next summer with modern masters 3, and even then MM reprints have been fairly ineffective for reducing prices by a significant amount.

As said before, Jace will likely be crawling down slowly as more decks move away from being blue + 3 colors, and then even more after a standard rotation unless he hits a high saturation in modern.

If you're dead set on this trade I'd say do it asap; it's possible that after the upcoming banning a control deck ends up being good in modern AND the lili printing next year drops her price, but that's unreliable and over a year away

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

stinkles1112 posted:

So what are everybody's thoughts on Heir of Falkenrath? It seems... insane, frankly. Instant speed discard trigger, relevant typing, given the relative power level of now-cards vs 2011-cards, this feels like it could be this format's Delver. One extra mana in exchange for more synergies and guaranteed transformation is a more than fair trade off.

Also shout out to Autumnal Gloom, definitely think that guy is gonna be a standard player and the design and flavor is super sweet.

I like Heir a lot. In testing as long as you aren't up against something like vampires or something cranking out thopters it can sneak a lot of damage through. It's going to end up seeing play outside of the vampire tribal deck in the back of being 3 power flying on turn 3 and enabling instant-speed discard.

The problem, as mentioned, is that it gets chumped easily by quite a few things. On top of that, 2 toughness is NOT where you want your creatures right now. Dead Weight, Impulse, Avacyn's Fury, etc. Basically everything that people are boarding in to take care of Jace can be a 2-for-1 against Heir.

With that being said it makes a great inclusion in main decks and a great swap post-boarding.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

There's a deck with 4 Cryptolith Rite and 4 Evolutionary Leap that just dumps a bunch of tokens and little guys (Blisterpods, Catacomb Sifter, Hangarback) onto the battlefield and then taps all of them to cast Ulamog, or sacs them for Ormendahl
Got a link to that list (or just the list)? That's basically the deck I want to make come rotation so I'd love a base to start from.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I would hold off on getting LOTV's until we see what we're getting in Eldritch Moon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Alris posted:

I would hold off on getting LOTV's until we see what we're getting in Eldritch Moon.

There is at least a 25% chance it's in that set....

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

mcmagic posted:

Exactly.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Alris posted:

I mean it has 100x higher chance of getting an EMA printing than eldritch moon.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

how do you even get this number lmao

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
there is a 0% chance LOTV is ever printed in a standard legal set again

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They almost put it in M15, they probably want to reprint it at some point.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Balon posted:

I like Heir a lot. In testing as long as you aren't up against something like vampires or something cranking out thopters it can sneak a lot of damage through. It's going to end up seeing play outside of the vampire tribal deck in the back of being 3 power flying on turn 3 and enabling instant-speed discard.

The problem, as mentioned, is that it gets chumped easily by quite a few things. On top of that, 2 toughness is NOT where you want your creatures right now. Dead Weight, Impulse, Avacyn's Fury, etc. Basically everything that people are boarding in to take care of Jace can be a 2-for-1 against Heir.

With that being said it makes a great inclusion in main decks and a great swap post-boarding.

Part of what makes Falkenrath good, aside from being a 3 power flyer attacking on turn 3, is that it's a free discard outlet (they seem to have been very shy about printing those) so in a deck that plays it you can probably be pitching a madness card rather than taking straight card disadvantage.

T3 flip Falkenrath, pitching Youths is gonna be a hell of a line.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They almost put it in M15, they probably want to reprint it at some point.

Creative did. Development shut it down immediately.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
They also probably won't reprint planeswalkers anymore due to story reasons.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They didn't reject the idea out of hand, they just (completely correctly) noted that mono-black devotion was already too good in RTR-Theros.

netcat posted:

On the contrary I think they will try and do it whenever possible now that core sets are gone, in the same way they've started reprinting mythics in expert-level expansions.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

born on a buy you posted:

Creative did. Development shut it down immediately.

Which is fair enough, because it would have been standard legal when Black Devotion was already a bit dominant.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So if anyone wants to get sets of some of the hardest to find basic lands, CFB has somehow gotten a hold of 11 full sets of the S-Chinese Portal Alternate Art lands

http://store.channelfireball.com/catalog/wholesale_lots__sets-sets/portal_1_schinese_alternate_art_land_set_20_lands/146143

I'm assuming the dude who was known to have like half of all of them that existed decided to sell off most of his stock, since I have no idea how they'd get them otherwise.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
"mm yes $800 for basic lands"
- a sane person

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They didn't reject the idea out of hand, they just (completely correctly) noted that mono-black devotion was already too good in RTR-Theros.
On the contrary I think they will try and do it whenever possible now that core sets are gone, in the same way they've started reprinting mythics in expert-level expansions.

I was actually very surprised by the new Nissa. I thought that since we had only got one set with Worldwaker and that was a pretty solid card it would be a good fit for reprinting during BFZ block. But I'm sure something like that will happen in future sets.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Very much agree with you on Languish. Thats where you want to be.

Is the mana good enough to play Bant anymore though? Thats my only issue with that deck.

It's just splashing blue for Jace and Reflector Mage. It seems fine. Pretty much every deck seems like its running Evolving Wilds so its not like the format is all that fast.

Yawgmoth posted:

Got a link to that list (or just the list)? That's basically the deck I want to make come rotation so I'd love a base to start from.

Deck: G/B Cryptolith Rites Combo

//Creatures
4 Loam Dryad
4 Blisterpod
1 Deathcap Cultivator
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Scion Summoner
4 Catacomb Sifter
2 Ulvenwald Hydra
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

//Spells
4 Cryptolith Rite
2 Evolutionary Leap
2 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
2 Zendikar Resurgent

//Land
9 Forest
1 Foundry of the Consuls
4 Hissing Quagmire
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Westvale Abbey

//Sideboard
2 Aerial Volley
3 Clip Wings
2 Collected Company
4 Deathmist Raptor
2 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
2 Reclaiming Vines

Display deck statistics

The idea is that you can get 2 mana off of a scion with Cryptolith Rites by making a scion tap for mana, then saccing it. You can start ramping and scrying a LOT with Evolutionary Leap out.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 29, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lancelot posted:

- a sane person

"mmm yes more than pennies on cardboard"
-literally all of us

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lancelot posted:

- a sane person

As someone who has a tabernacle, the $800 basic land dude would at least get more play out of it. :peanut:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

As someone who has a tabernacle, the $800 basic land dude would at least get more play out of it. :peanut:

obviously you should get that tabernacle altered (or altared :wink:)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

netcat posted:

I'm curious to hear why you think it's story that's keeping Wizards from re-printing planeswalkers. I would have guessed that money is a much more likely reason, as new planeswalkers drive a lot of interest in new sets even if they don't turn out to be that good. Conversely, a know quantity planeswalker would generate much less interest, unless it was something really rad like LotV.

For the record, I think EDM would be a logical place to reprint LotV for both story and mechanics purposes, but I'm definitely not holding my breath. Then again, someone at Wizards must have surely noticed how much hype a few high-profiles reprints can lend to an otherwise forgettable set (see: BFZ/OGW).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The only reason story should keep them from reprinting a given planeswalker is if something about that planeswalker has changed from the form depicted on the card. E.g., story would be a fine reason not to reprint Vryn's Prodigy in a storyline set, unless it's another set that occurs in the appropriate time and place. Similarly, I wouldn't expect them to reprint the early Garruks in storyline sets anytime soon. But as long as we can still describe some part of Jace's portfolio as "sculpting minds," then the flavor door is wide open for the eponymous card to be reprinted (not to say there aren't substantial other reasons why that will never happen in a normal set).

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Is this format really going to be slow? Like obviously Black has access to Languish and the other 3cmc -x/-x's but there's a lot of aggro tools and fair amount of reach, especially MonoRed and BR.

Like wraths are a thing and all but you can play around them and rebuild your board or rely on burn to push through so Im not sure I get this idea that decks like Vampires are going to scoop to a Languish, at least the first one.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The Cryptolith Deck is dumb as gently caress. It's pretty annoying and full of insane person decisions.

It's like:

Turn 1: Land, Loam Dryad
Turn 2: Land, Elvish Visionary
Turn 3, Land, Cryptolith Rites, Elvish Visionary, Deathcap Collector
Turn 4, Scion Summorer, Westvale Abbey, Tap, sac, Ormendahl.

Nissa is just unreasonable in this deck too. Granted, you'd probably just scoop up your cards to a Virulent Plague or a Flaying Tendrils, but its still ridiculous.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 29, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rimusutera posted:

Is this format really going to be slow? Like obviously Black has access to Languish and the other 3cmc -x/-x's but there's a lot of aggro tools and fair amount of reach, especially MonoRed and BR.

Like wraths are a thing and all but you can play around them and rebuild your board or rely on burn to push through so Im not sure I get this idea that decks like Vampires are going to scoop to a Languish, at least the first one.

the vampire deck's problem is it can be off to the races but really lacks decent payoff. So you're limiting yourself to a single tribe for basically no reason.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Angry Grimace posted:

The Cryptolith Deck is dumb as gently caress. It's pretty annoying and full of insane person decisions.

It's like:

Turn 1: Land, Loam Dryad
Turn 2: Land, Elvish Visionary
Turn 3, Land, Cryptolith Rites, Elvish Visionary, Deathcap Collector
Turn 4, Scion Summorer, Westvale Abbey, Tap, sac, Ormendahl.

Nissa is just unreasonable in this deck too.

How do you get six mana on turn 3? The second Visionary has summoning sickness.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

obviously you should get that tabernacle altered (or altared :wink:)

Even if rk post and Klug teamed up to alter it, it would end up disappointing someone. ;)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

How do you get six mana on turn 3? The second Visionary has summoning sickness.

Use loam dryad to tap it?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Voyager I posted:

Part of what makes Falkenrath good, aside from being a 3 power flyer attacking on turn 3, is that it's a free discard outlet (they seem to have been very shy about printing those) so in a deck that plays it you can probably be pitching a madness card rather than taking straight card disadvantage.

T3 flip Falkenrath, pitching Youths is gonna be a hell of a line.

It's a onetime discard outlet, meaning it is going to often be a "use it or lose it" enabler - you're going to face the reality where you often either get to discard prematurely or lose your enabler all together. If you're playing heir on turn 2 with the hopes of using it to enable madness you're often going to be disappointed.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

A big flaming stink posted:

But then you can't tap the loam dryad to produce mana from the Cryptoliths, so you're still losing a mana somewhere.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I wanna play green black delirium real bad.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I probably just counted wrong.

There's a lot of weird plays in the deck, its pretty hard to play right.

It's more like

Turn 1: Forest, Loam Dryad
Turn 2: Llanowar Wastes, Loam Dryad, Cryptolith Rites
Turn 3: Westvale Abbey, Catacomb Sifter, Scion Summoner
Turn 4: Swing with Demon, Play Zendikar Resurgent, play Ulamog, cast Nissa and minus, any of those things seem good

It's usually a turn or two slower than that though.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 30, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

A big flaming stink posted:

Loam Dryad gives you 1 mana regardless due to Cryptolith Rites.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

vandalism posted:

Yeah Same. Here's my starting point:

4 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
4 Sylvan Advocate
1 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
1 Den Protector
4 Mindwrack Demon
1 The Gitrog Monster

3 Dead Weight
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald
2 Just the Wind
2 Oath of Jace
2 Autumnal Gloom
3 Painful Truths
4 To the Slaughter

4 evolving wilds
4 hissing quagmire
4 sunken hollow
2 lumbering falls
3 llanowar wastes
3 yavimaya coast
2 swamp
2 island
1 forest

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Balon posted:

It's a onetime discard outlet, meaning it is going to often be a "use it or lose it" enabler - you're going to face the reality where you often either get to discard prematurely or lose your enabler all together. If you're playing heir on turn 2 with the hopes of using it to enable madness you're often going to be disappointed.

There seems to be a decent collection of cards that are playable and have reasonable madness costs; not good enough to build around pitching, especially since so many of the discard outlets also cost mana, but enough that having something to use with Falkenrath on T3 doesn't seem like an unreasonable barrier or something that you will have to build the deck around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

vandalism posted:

Here's what I've been testing. I've been waffling back and forth on Gitrog being the curve topper and including colorless in the form of Reality Smasher/Thought-Knot.

Deck: GB Delirium Tester

//Lands
4 Evolving Wilds
6 Forest
2 Hissing Quagmire
4 Llanowar Wastes
8 Swamp

//Spells
4 Gather the Pack
2 Grasp of Darkness
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited
4 Sinister Concoction
4 To the Slaughter
2 Traverse the Ulvenwald

//Creatures
3 Deathcap Cultivator
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Heir of Falkenrath
4 Mindwrack Demon
3 The Gitrog Monster

//Sideboard
4 Dead Weight
3 Self-Inflicted Wound
1 Grasp of Darkness
3 Languish
2 Ultimate Price
2 Duress

Display deck statistics

One thing to note is that Deckstats currently lists To the Slaughter as a sorcery rather than an instant.

• Locked thread