Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bast Relief posted:

Reminds me of Beanie babies. I was rooting through a bin of them once, as a child, and this lady pushed me out of the way and ripped one out of my hands. She was a collector.

Now that it's been almost two decades, do people think back on this poo poo and get embarrassed? Like, is there any reckoning with "I shoved a child and grabbed a stuffed animal out of her hands?"

In that age between 18 and 21 when my friend and I were walking out of a Wizards of the Coast store, some lady stopped us and gave us money to go get beanie babies from the McDonalds. We were repaid for this good deed with Dragonball cards :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llNAsoF64Ng

edit-

Wow this is depressing :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgDsyj5eLmo

Rondette has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Mar 28, 2016

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Didn't this happen last year too because there was a cash prize or gift cards for whoever collected the most eggs?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rambling Robot posted:

Some parents are horrible. they can't bear their precious ones NOT winning, because that would so unfair!!!

My mom likes to tell me about how when I was in that 4 or 5-year-old range and we did those Easter egg hunts, I would end up helping the other kids find eggs and taking very few, if any, for myself.

Beyond that these parents ruin a fun event designed for children and take that away for them, they're taking away experiences from their kids to develop and grow and show who they are, and replacing it with ugliness and sadness. Nobody wins here. :(

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jamesman posted:

My mom likes to tell me about how when I was in that 4 or 5-year-old range and we did those Easter egg hunts, I would end up helping the other kids find eggs and taking very few, if any, for myself.

Beyond that these parents ruin a fun event designed for children and take that away for them, they're taking away experiences from their kids to develop and grow and show who they are, and replacing it with ugliness and sadness. Nobody wins here. :(

Aren't you special.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Darth123123 posted:

Aren't you special.

Nah I'm a mess of a human being. I don't even remember doing that stuff, but my mom apparently does.

The point is I was apparently able to make those decisions myself at an early stage of my development, and parents taking that away from their kids is pretty lovely. Like even if a kid chooses to do something and it's wrong or stupid, then you teach them that it's wrong or stupid and how to do it right and smart. You don't just make everything about you and deprive them of all chances to do things for themselves.

Jamesman has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Mar 28, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Poor Bryan Cranston.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CelticPredator posted:

Poor Bryan Cranston.

Coming up next... Breaking Beanie

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jamesman posted:

Nah I'm a mess of a human being. I don't even remember doing that stuff, but my mom apparently does.

The point is I was apparently able to make those decisions myself at an early stage of my development, and parents taking that away from their kids is pretty lovely. Like even if a kid chooses to do something and it's wrong or stupid, then you teach them that it's wrong or stupid and how to do it right and smart. You don't just make everything about you and deprive them of all chances to do things for themselves.

I was loving with you, but true

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Bast Relief posted:

Reminds me of Beanie babies. I was rooting through a bin of them once, as a child, and this lady pushed me out of the way and ripped one out of my hands. She was a collector.

Now that it's been almost two decades, do people think back on this poo poo and get embarrassed? Like, is there any reckoning with "I shoved a child and grabbed a stuffed animal out of her hands?"

quote:

Nov 5, 1999, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA: Attorney Frank Totti looks over papers while his client Frances Mountain sorts out Beanie Babies with her ex-husband Harold Mountain in Judge Gerald Hardcastle’s Family Courtroom in Las Vegas November 5. The couple, who were divorced four months ago, were ordered to divide up the collection valued at $2,500 to $5000 but were unable to do so by themselves. The collection was ordered spread on the court floor and divided up one by one under the supervision of Family Court Judge Hardcastle.
Maple the Bear was the first to go.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

God that's depressing.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
a good judge making the kids share their toys because he is sick of their whining.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I bet that judge gave most of the beanie babies to the wife. Everyone knows the courts favor the mothers. #beaniefatherrights

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The judge was probably so disappointed neither party spoke up against dividing the beanie babies in two. That would have proven the true owner.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Not beanie babies, but my late-fifties mother had some incredible adventures into the land of AUG when she decided to give online dating a try. Most were run of the mill stuff (she met a guy about 30 years older than his profile photo at a restaurant where he proceeded to immediately give her a large paper bag filled with lingerie, for instance) but Furbie Man took the cake. She went on a couple of dates with the guy in neutral locations and he seemed normal and she fairly liked him, and eventually he invites her to his house. She drives about 45 minutes there, walks in the front door, and immediately sees hundreds of Furbies.

The man's entire house was filled with Furbies of various design. This was 3-4 years ago, before they were supposed to 'come back,' as if that would make it any less creepy.

She tried to make polite conversation but the guy was distracted when his phone would ding every few minutes and he'd quickly grab it up and do something on it. Turned out the dings were notifications for multiple ongoing eBay auctions... He was buying even more Furbies right in front of her. She quickly left before the guy could steal her skin to complete his Gizmo costume and never talked to him again.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

My dad is still convinced that his box of beanie babies is going to be worth a shitload of money one day

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!

You Are A Elf posted:

Easter egg that was in situ since 1989 behind the piano. The shell still had its brilliant PAAS coloring, but I wasn't about to find out what lay inside, and neither was my mom. We tossed it.

I have whole pysanka that are years old now. The inside of the egg just sort of dries out in the shell. After about a year the inside form sort of a little ball that rattles around inside the shell. They don't smell or anything. Just don't crack them while stuff is still sloshing around inside

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
On the subject of parents being shitheads in front of kids. There is a miniature scandal going on in Sweden right now because a bunch of parents who were helping coach kids' football teams were insulting and yelling at a 15-year old girl who was a volunteer referee at a tournament. It got so bad that the ref walked off the field and left the tournament and the clubs have started an investigation into the parents and coaches to find out if they should be allowed to keep coaching. On the one hand it's a game and feelings fly high, but on the other hand you are an adult with your kid nearby so why are you flinging insults at a 15-year old girl.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wild T posted:

Not beanie babies, but my late-fifties mother had some incredible adventures into the land of AUG when she decided to give online dating a try. Most were run of the mill stuff (she met a guy about 30 years older than his profile photo at a restaurant where he proceeded to immediately give her a large paper bag filled with lingerie, for instance) but Furbie Man took the cake. She went on a couple of dates with the guy in neutral locations and he seemed normal and she fairly liked him, and eventually he invites her to his house. She drives about 45 minutes there, walks in the front door, and immediately sees hundreds of Furbies.

The man's entire house was filled with Furbies of various design. This was 3-4 years ago, before they were supposed to 'come back,' as if that would make it any less creepy.

She tried to make polite conversation but the guy was distracted when his phone would ding every few minutes and he'd quickly grab it up and do something on it. Turned out the dings were notifications for multiple ongoing eBay auctions... He was buying even more Furbies right in front of her. She quickly left before the guy could steal her skin to complete his Gizmo costume and never talked to him again.

I don't post stuff she told me about you, jerk.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have a box of baseball cards I've taken with me every time I've moved since I was 18. They are basically worthless as the market fell out of them when I was a kid, but I can't bring myself to throw them away. The only worthwhile thing I have is a Cal Ripken Jr signed baseball. It's not hundreds of beanie babies bad, but its still pretty nerdy for a 35 year old man.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have a box of baseball cards I've taken with me every time I've moved since I was 18. They are basically worthless as the market fell out of them when I was a kid, but I can't bring myself to throw them away. The only worthwhile thing I have is a Cal Ripken Jr signed baseball. It's not hundreds of beanie babies bad, but its still pretty nerdy for a 35 year old man.

Same, I have the complete 1988, 1989 topps complete set, worth a grand total of $30 dollars.

I stopped collecting because every year after there were like 4 sets from the same company and the whole scarcity thing was a joke.

Maybe in like 2115 the gain in value.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lime Tonics posted:

Same, I have the complete 1988, 1989 topps complete set, worth a grand total of $30 dollars.

I stopped collecting because every year after there were like 4 sets from the same company and the whole scarcity thing was a joke.

Maybe in like 2115 the gain in value.

The key to collections is that they're only valuable to grown-ups that played with them as kids and are aging into the part of their life where they have enough free money to own a piece of nostalgia.

I hear that Micro Machines are the big ones right now.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
If you can get past the terrible audio, this is a pretty good interview about Beanie Babies and collecting in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OcoxNbAE8Q

The dude he is interviewing collects Perry Como memorabilia, there's him and one other person that always bid for stuff on Ebay. Problem is, the two of them will bid it to a high price knowing that it will drop in value as soon as they buy it- because there is only one other person who is interested in buying it now. I find fads like this utterly fascinating, it's like the Tulip rush in Holland in the 17th Century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePu7L-KNOBE

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I worked at a small independent toy store in Chicago during the Beanie Baby craze. drat those people were loving nuts.

On the other hand, those stuffed animals managed to put the store owners' kid through college. I even managed to snag myself one of the rare JonBenét Ramsey memorial Beanies. God knows where it is now.

(That adorable little kid I used to babysit probably graduated from college years ago)

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
When I was a kid I somehow got a rare one worth a few hundred but I didn't know that, so I had taken the tag off because it's, you know, a toy, therefore it was worthless. Meh. Wouldn't have sold it anyways, it was cool.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thin Privilege posted:

When I was a kid I somehow got a rare one worth a few hundred but I didn't know that, so I had taken the tag off because it's, you know, a toy, therefore it was worthless. Meh. Wouldn't have sold it anyways, it was cool.

My aunt bought me the bat for my birthday and I sold it a couple years later for like $50. I think I bought a cheap stereo for my first apartment with the money.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

captainOrbital posted:

JonBenét Ramsey memorial Beanies

:stare:

How the ever loving poo poo is that a thing.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I think the Princess Di one is the holy grail of beanie babies.

I worked at McDonald's during the craze, and we'd have adults order happy meals and tell us to keep the food. They'd loop around the drive thru over and over. It was so weird.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Leon Einstein posted:

I worked at McDonald's during the craze, and we'd have adults order happy meals and tell us to keep the food. They'd loop around the drive thru over and over. It was so weird.

Why not just order 20 happy meals and tell you to keep the food. Looping around just seems, as you put it, weird. Did they think they were being sneaky?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Watrick posted:

Why not just order 20 happy meals and tell you to keep the food. Looping around just seems, as you put it, weird. Did they think they were being sneaky?

Cheap bastards were only buying one at a time in hopes they got the super rare hologram pokemon beenie baby or whatever. Each loop was another bargain attempt!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
We had limits on how many you could get per order. We forced them to take the food as it hosed up our inventory otherwise.

There weren't any rare ones. Only goddamned morons thought that mass produced McDonald's BB would be worth money. There were a lot of morons.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Leon Einstein posted:

Nah, like almost all of them, the Princess Diana was mass produced. Doesn't stop people from keeping them in plastic cases and trying to sell them at garage sales for $100 though.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
At the height of the Beanie Baby craze I visited an Amish town, and at one of the antique stores was a well displayed Tabasco the Bull for around 50 dollars, way below market value.

On reflection it was probably a forgery, because who's going to accuse an Amish shopkeeper of ripping you off while you're trying to do the same to them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
My grandparents owned a candy store that sold beanie babies during the craze. It was nuts. The store only got a limited number of the Princess D bear. What we would do is sell 1 of the rare in the store for hundreds to a thousand dollars to draw people into the store. The others would be tossed up on the new fangled EBay and sold for a couple thousand a piece. I cant tell you how much money they made off those stupid beanies. I do remember they kept 1 of the princess di bears and sold it a year after the initial release for close to $10k.

Of course the beanie crazy was crazy, but there was a small Yo-Yo craze with the yomega fireball or that butterfly one. I still laugh at seeing those things being sold for a $100. Then I cry because I wasn't allowed to play with one. Only kid to not have one and we sold them. :smith:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

It isn't. They're probably confusing the Princess Di memorial one with a fictional JBR one in the show Broad City.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

Of course the beanie crazy was crazy, but there was a small Yo-Yo craze with the yomega fireball or that butterfly one. I still laugh at seeing those things being sold for a $100. Then I cry because I wasn't allowed to play with one. Only kid to not have one and we sold them. :smith:

I spent $100 on Yomega's best but not absolutely most expensive yo-yo recently. The fireball is/was barely worth $20. I still have one from grade school and remember buying it with pocket money and no job. Want to see a total ripoff though?
This unrelated to the above Yomega yo-yo cost $40:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

amityville anus posted:

I spent $100 on Yomega's best but not absolutely most expensive yo-yo recently. The fireball is/was barely worth $20. I still have one from grade school and remember buying it with pocket money and no job. Want to see a total ripoff though?
This unrelated to the above Yomega yo-yo cost $40:

you a yo-yo champ?. Yeah they were like $10-$20 yo-yos, but because stores were always out and there was high demand my grandparents marked them up.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Leon Einstein posted:

That's extra insane. I remember going into a McDonald's once to order one of the toys because they were essentially just tiny stuffed animals, and they let me just buy one without a fuss, I can't see why you'd have to be a disruptive dickhead about it.

Male Tears posted:

Nah, like almost all of them, the Princess Diana was mass produced. Doesn't stop people from keeping them in plastic cases and trying to sell them at garage sales for $100 though.

I remember that. There was a comic store down the road from me that was overrun by Beanie Babies in the 90s and they had the Princess Di one in the centre of the store, all lit up. It was surreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Male Tears posted:

That's pretty much all the commemorative Princess Di poo poo in a nutshell. Wasn't the main sales pitch that it would all be worth a fortune someday, anyway?

• Locked thread