Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Overbite posted:

doom was my first computer game. i am your senpai

It was mine too. Truly, in this moment, we are family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Jia posted:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jia posted:

It wasn't my first computer game (my family had an Apple IIe computer with a ton of :filez: games and poo poo, and I definitely had Wolf3D and a couple other PC games like Lemmings and Indy500 Simulator before Doom) but I will never forget where my parents and I were when I talked them into picking up the Doom shareware disks. I probably still have those disks kicking around somewhere.

I'll also never forget Chex Quest, and the malware-esque difficulty I had uninstalling that motherfucker for some reason.

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I see they understand what makes Doom tick.

Was about to quote that same bit, and say "Sounds right out of the classic John Carmack handbook."

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Gzdoom with beautiful doom is probably my most played combination, I like Brutal Doom but it ain't the same game really. All beautiful doom does is add more animation frames to everything and changes the explosions to Duke Nukem 3d's.

edit: I should add this is before the author went all retarded and copied brutal doom. The later versions of beautiful doom added all that gore and dreck needlessly.

SmoothDoom is my jam. Don't forget the high quality sound effects wad too (http://www.perkristian.net/game_doom-sfx.shtml), I love the pretty seamless true to the style improvements like those.

Kibayasu posted:

Doom is a state of mind.

I've got a mind... to get into that state of mind... this May 13th!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

That guy looks like Bryan Cranston.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jia posted:

I *think* my first computer game was Taipan and I played it on a TRS80.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

khwarezm posted:

That guy looks like Bryan Cranston.

Glad I'm not the only one who saw that.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

All you centenarians can go suck it!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

AirRaid posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who saw that.

3rd-ing. Also I would wear the gently caress out of a Quake sweater.

Anyway everybody's down on Brutal Doom's executions, but you have to 1) Pick up a Berserker pack in that level and 2) melee enemies to death, and even then you can change 'modes' of punching so you just kill them normally. They don't just happen all the time for no reason. You do get +5 health for each one, but it sounds like they may be pretty necessary in this new DooM, at least on higher difficulties with less health/ammo pickups. Can anyone who was in the alpha confirm/deny?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Alpha was team deathmatch multiplayer on one map with like 4 guns, and I don't even know if it had any executions. I never did any or had any done to me, at least.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A.o.D. posted:

I *think* my first computer game was Taipan and I played it on a TRS80.

I think my first computer game was scorched earth. I played a bunch of Heretic and X-COM and Worms 2 shortly after that.

Xenomrph posted:

The Alpha was team deathmatch multiplayer on one map with like 4 guns, and I don't even know if it had any executions. I never did any or had any done to me, at least.

The best news.

I wonder if they saw the public reaction and walked it back a bit? That one developer had such a hard-on for executions but it sounds like it was just him pushing it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Multiplayer definitely has executions in it, they're all over the place in the multiplayer trailers. I'm just not sure if they were in the Alpha, which was really bare bones.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
They were in the alpha if my memory serves me well, I did them a couple of times and had them done to me once.

In terms of frequency it reminded me of when assassination melees happened in reach, only every so often.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Maybe people just didn't know about it or didn't care then.

Yeah that's actually a solid comparison, Reach executions are pretty long animations but you can ignore them and people don't even use them that often, when they do its almost a surprise.

I wonder if you're still vulnerable while you're doing the execution on a player? Or how long you're locked into the animation? Usually in Reach doing those assassinations kinda locks you in place and gets you killed if anybody is nearby and ready to shoot you, which is part of why they aren't used as much.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
In MP you need to get a player down to low health (not sure on the exact figures) to do a glory kill on them. They're pretty quick, but I don't think you get any invulnerability.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

AirRaid posted:

They're pretty quick, but I don't think you get any invulnerability.

You don't; doing one basically guaranteed your death.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good :colbert:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I'm imaging a conga line of players, one guy does an execution, then someone runs up and executes him while he's stuck in the animation, then another runs up behind him etc etc :unsmigghh:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm imaging a conga line of players, one guy does an execution, then someone runs up and executes him while he's stuck in the animation, then another runs up behind him etc etc :unsmigghh:
That's how executions played out in AvP2010, it was either terrible or hilarious depending on how you looked at it (I thought it was hilarious).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

That's how executions played out in AvP2010, it was either terrible or hilarious depending on how you looked at it (I thought it was hilarious).

I forget which version of AvP it was, but my standout memories of multiplayer was "Server host limits it to one Predator, Him. I go on a wild Predator killing spree as the only Marine, until they disable all marines so he can fire giant lasers at Xenos without toggling vision modes in peace".

I'm pretty sure Doom Multiplayer will be a bit more smooth, just by virtue of not needing to juggle multiple species of player.

Smoother doesn't automatically mean more interesting or more enjoyable, though.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
offtopic but I really want to know why ID totally botched Quake 4's plot twist by advertising it as their main feature right from the get-go. seems like a wasted opportunity.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

nightwisher posted:

offtopic but I really want to know why ID totally botched Quake 4's plot twist by advertising it as their main feature right from the get-go. seems like a wasted opportunity.

Because the game only gets fun after the twist happens, so people needed something to look forward to during the slog of the first act.

Also did I miss the beta for this game that I was supposed to get for pre-ordering Wolf TNO? (A much better game, but that's neither here nor there.)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Geight posted:

Because the game only gets fun after the twist happens, so people needed something to look forward to during the slog of the first act.

Also did I miss the beta for this game that I was supposed to get for pre-ordering Wolf TNO? (A much better game, but that's neither here nor there.)

The beta starts on March 31st.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Sweet, I'm not gonna spend any money on this game in my lifetime but since I already have access to the beta I'll probably install it and play it so I can snark to my buddies about how much I don't like it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Geight posted:

Sweet, I'm not gonna spend any money on this game in my lifetime but since I already have access to the beta I'll probably install it and play it so I can snark to my buddies about how much I don't like it.

Technically speaking, the multiplayer mode by an external team isn't the same thing as the single-player campaign by id software, so you're not trying the main part they've been working on. I'm also not sure how you already know you don't like it, since we haven't seen a whole lot of the campaign. Unless you're just talking MP.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Sometimes my gut feeling on whether I like a game is wrong, but usually it's right.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm having something of a premonition about DOOM, it's gonna make us all it's bitch!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-kfIrneQWE are you pumped to see youtube superstars play retard 4?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Linguica posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-kfIrneQWE are you pumped to see youtube superstars play retard 4?

Oh hell yes! Muh fave youtubers playing muh favorite loving game series of all time, and with all the positive changes to the DooM formula [executions, cover based shootmans, power armor, regenerating health, piss filters, no FFA dM, and the all new ID tech 6!] Retard 4 is shaping up to be a monster :dance::f5::eng101::devil:

I for one cannot wait for Retard 4 to be released on the world and see Jontron, Kacietron, Bradtron, Jakechan, and Pewds show those demon bastards who the muh Fukken bawssss is! Can I get a Oh HELL yeah!!!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Retard 4 posted:

Oh hell yes! Muh fave youtubers playing muh favorite loving game series of all time, and with all the positive changes to the DooM formula [executions, cover based shootmans, power armor, regenerating health, piss filters, no FFA dM, and the all new ID tech 6!] Retard 4 is shaping up to be a monster :dance::f5::eng101::devil:

I for one cannot wait for Retard 4 to be released on the world and see Jontron, Kacietron, Bradtron, Jakechan, and Pewds show those demon bastards who the muh Fukken bawssss is! Can I get a Oh HELL yeah!!!

Please do not discuss your 'release' in the Doom thread, TIA. :gonk:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Technically speaking, the multiplayer mode by an external team isn't the same thing as the single-player campaign by id software, so you're not trying the main part they've been working on. I'm also not sure how you already know you don't like it, since we haven't seen a whole lot of the campaign. Unless you're just talking MP.

Ehhh.... I think this is going too far. Knowing CA they just made the maps and the main developers still balanced the modes.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Doom is about going too far, rip and tear baby! I'm more hyped for the campaign killin' demons, but the MP does look fun too. And hopefully a SnapMap with 400 barrels.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You can do the Carlton :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Loadouts :smith:

Feels more like Halo so far than Doom.

E: I'm losing all interest in this game as I'm watching them play it. It seriously Halo with a Doom skin. This is hosed.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 29, 2016

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
ohhhh mother loving HELL YES!!!!! I love load outs in my old school shootmans! Finally a way to level the playing field and make the game more fair for the newbs [not me]

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The loadouts thing makes sense to me. As they described it, it's just so people don't start out wandering around with the weakest weapon. But there are still plenty of spawns around the map you'll want to get a feel for. Sounds good, I don't think it harms the arena shooter genre.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

why is there a sniper rifle in DOOM of all games

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lovely Senorita posted:

why is there a sniper rifle in DOOM of all games

The multiplayer is Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 having a 2016 baby, so UT brought the sniper rifle gene. Shoot a rocket at that fool. In Doom the chaingun was a sniper rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heavy Metal posted:

The loadouts thing makes sense to me. As they described it, it's just so people don't start out wandering around with the weakest weapon. But there are still plenty of spawns around the map you'll want to get a feel for. Sounds good, I don't think it harms the arena shooter genre.

Yeah it's a great idea :peanut: love me some load outs in muh shootmans. Halo FTW. Glad the retard 4 devs finally wised up and realized modern gamers don't wanna start with a lovely pistol and "search" for guns.