Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sandpuppy posted:

Hmm.. I guess I conflated Gumby's flared legs with Pokey, but I think mostly, the lack of a tail threw me. Isn't that the defining feature of a MLP character? Also, Pokey has always looked orange to me.

Its also lacking a Cutie Mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Radish posted:

Sick Semper Tyranass :allears:

:omarcomin:

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

Can someone explain to me what is wrong with the cartoon beyond having opinions about the Sanders campaign that don't match D&D's

Nothing in particular I disagree with as a statement in the comic.

I just think Bennett has been a bit lazy and ham-fisted with his messaging lately. Comparable to Gorrell if you squint enough and that's.... not a good thing.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 29, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Any day now...

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Fulchrum posted:

Its also lacking a Cutie Mark.

That's actually fitting, because Trump is a child

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Gotta say, I'm getting really sick of the whole-

{
Person 1: *vague description*

Person 2: "[blank]?"

Person 1: "no, [blank]"
}

cartoon format.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/rN9YQrC.jpg

MODNOTE: Please don't break them tables, thanks!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 30, 2016

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

What the hell? Did an Anon get outed or something?

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

the_steve posted:

What the hell? Did an Anon get outed or something?

It's two years old. When was all the Zyklon Ben stuff going on strong?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
It's from 2014, the golden age of "Zyklon" Ben Garrison edits.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Oh wow, didn't see it was from '14, figured it was about the printer thing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

zoux posted:

Yeah, guess why.

Why?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

cram me sideways posted:

I don't know why loving comics even try to pretend they even take place in our real world. Because on a long enough timeline, the question becomes "If these demigods have all this power and omnipotence and loving EMPATHY - why aren't they doing XYZ to stop all this suffering?" And there's never a good answer. Nothing satisfies. Just have your dumbass men in tights have their moron slapfights in Bamerica the Great, or Bengland, or Bindia - whatever the gently caress. Stop trying to have these dipshits be a part of our reality, because the reality is we need those fuckers to fix poo poo, and not have dumbass personal struggles on a cosmic level, or see them watching the Brussels attack on the teevee and say "I was supposed to be fighting Sinestro, but for now... I shed tears."
Authors get kind of creepy when they speculate the long-term effects of superpowers on a setting.

So it's always Present Day + Powers instead of "powers appeared in 19xx and here's how they hosed over the world"

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 29, 2016

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Oh wow, didn't see it was from '14, figured it was about the printer thing.

...Printer thing?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jackard posted:

Authors get kind of creepy when they speculate the long-term effects of superpowers on a setting.

So it's always Present Day + Powers instead of "powers appeared in 19xx and here's how they hosed over the world"

Besides "use all these old characters we've acquired". this was the express purpose of Watchmen*. :ssh:

*Alan Moore has also said he wanted to portray a world where comic books mattered.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

lol

Unsurprisingly, cartoonists are really enjoying the Bernie Sanders bird thing. Though I'm pretty sure Catalino copy-pasted every one of those heads from a different cartoon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Because it's as dumb as calling ISIS Daesh and thinking you're owning them.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Yaakov posted:

The horrifying result of ignoring European "neighborhoods" in accordance with the politically correct insanity of "multiculturism.

Yaakov: "Hitler did nothing wrong."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

After The War posted:

Besides "use all these old characters we've acquired". this was the express purpose of Watchmen*. :ssh:

*Alan Moore has also said he wanted to portray a world where comic books mattered.

Which was a limited 12-issue run (we're not counting the prequels). It can't work in a long-term setting, because status quo is God in the comics industry. Readers supposedly don't like change (see also Spider-Man's marriage of twenty years being erased via a literal deal with the devil Mephisto), but in the long-run superpowers would drastically change the world. So they have to somehow imagine that the world keeps going as normal despite all these weird changes. Civil War was a good example of how trying to set your comics in the real world can cause problems, because once you've had something like that happen, how do you go back?

What is going on with Bernie's neck?

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 29, 2016

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Jurgan posted:

Which was a limited 12-issue run (we're not counting the prequels). It can't work in a long-term setting, because status quo is God in the comics industry. Readers supposedly don't like change (see also Spider-Man's marriage of twenty years being erased via a literal deal with the devil Mephisto), but in the long-run superpowers would drastically change the world. So they have to somehow imagine that the world keeps going as normal despite all these weird changes. Civil War was a good example of how trying to set your comics in the real world can cause problems, because once you've had something like that happen, how do you go back?

apparently by doing it again except this time Captain America (supporting Miss Marvel this time) is the Fascist and Iron Man is the guy yelling about Freedom

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bernie 'Kemosabe' Sanders

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
The Boys is pretty enjoyable

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The best thing about this is that it was supposed to be about a specific person that he'd dug up some information on (hence the partially blacked out name address in the lower left), but most of the background details - Shrek, MLP, etc. - are so popular with that crowd that most people assumed he was just throwing up a bunch of 4Chan clichés.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Jay Rust posted:

I'm slightly confused here, actually. I wouldn't expect cowboy imagery to be used flateringly by Two Bulls, if only for the cowboys-and-indians movie genre. But Bernie seems to be being portrayed as a good guy?

Refreshing in any case though, Marty Two Bulls can actually draw.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Keiya posted:

I'm slightly confused here, actually. I wouldn't expect cowboy imagery to be used flateringly by Two Bulls, if only for the cowboys-and-indians movie genre. But Bernie seems to be being portrayed as a good guy?

The Lone Ranger isn't a cowboy though.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

That kid rules.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Top minion poppin a boner and bottom minion likes what he sees

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

After The War posted:

When did the cannibal pirate story ever matter?

Jurgan posted:

Not to mention having like 150 supergeniuses who individually dwarf the combined intellect of all other humans, but they still haven't cured cancer or solved global warming.

At least in DC the smartest people are usually evil. Meanwhile, Marvel has a guy who named himself Mr. Fantastic, says he's the smartest human ever, and can't fix world hunger. Hell, the guy can't even fix that his best friend looks like a horrific monster.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Isn't Mr Fantastic evil now and part of the Illuminati?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I don't like the way Bernie looks here. Someone get that bird away from him. :ohdear:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't like the way Bernie looks here. Someone get that bird away from him. :ohdear:

If you're going to draw Bernie like a Muppet, why would you go with Statler?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Radish posted:

Isn't Mr Fantastic evil now and part of the Illuminati?

Mr Fantastic has always been evil, it's just a matter of if he realizes it or not.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

duz posted:

Mr Fantastic has always been evil, it's just a matter of if he realizes it or not.
All I know is that you don't trust that fucker during a zombie outbreak.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Keiya posted:

My immediate reaction is either the horse is fake or it's a bronco Bernie is not prepped to ride, hence the ladder and the nonchalant approach to a bucking bronco. Plus after the most recent Lone Ranger flick the character could be seen as good intentioned but antiquated. Basically I read this Two Bulls like you would Bernie riding a unicorn, but by an artist that can draw worth a drat.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

loquacius posted:

e: I found the quote

shock and awe it is actually a nuanced statement :monocle:

e2: the source I was able to find was the slightly-less-blatant of two right-wing blogs though so
If you'd like the full text, it's on the White House press page.

The quoted bit leads immediately into a criticism of Cuba's economic stagnation, so you have to do some very clever editing to come out of it with, "Communism is fine!"

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

This looks like a pro-Bernie comic, but does Marty Two Bulls ever draw a pro-anything comic?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Addressing a point that is actually pretty important to consider in messaging and how trans bodies are valued in context of the bathroom fiascos. Good.

Illustrates comic with a girl quite visibly uncomfortable with being in the male bathroom. Bad.
Yeah she hasn't actually improved cartoonist-wise. This is like a loving Asay in dissonance between visuals and message.

Dr. Killjoy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 30, 2016

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Bloodnose posted:

This looks like a pro-Bernie comic, but does Marty Two Bulls ever draw a pro-anything comic?

Before the Hawaii and Alaska caucuses, Bernie heavily advertised his opinions and plans about native american issues. I'm not sure how receptive Native Americans were to the message, but he also seems to be the only candidate to discuss it at all.

https://berniesanders.com/issues/empower-tribal-nations/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

• Locked thread