Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Screams eeeEEE posted:

Yeah its a pretty rad attack now, but I'm curious about how it managed to be your bread and butter attack.

They even added a sonic "scream" power which I know would work well with this.

Apropos of nothing, do goons playing this game chill in the goon channel at all?

For the Devestator AT as a non-freeform, Eruption was the set's single target click attack that did knockup, a decent amount of damage and it was up every 2 seconds. I used it on literally every mob I fought- now it's every other mob and his friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Screams eeeEEE posted:

Yeah its a pretty rad attack now, but I'm curious about how it managed to be your bread and butter attack.

I used it as my main attack when I was messing around with Heavy weapons because you cant get skewer till lvl 8.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I gotta admit the Rocker archetype is conceptually hilarious and looks pretty well-designed, so I went gently caress it I used some of the zen I had loitering around unspent since forever ago to nab that and the half-off Batman night avenger archetype. May as well gently caress around for a week before I remember nothing's really changed and I get bored again. :toot:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

They changed Cleave and Arc of Ruin into a 360 attack, and this trend of giving powers some kind of extra little self buff (Reckless, Willpower, Furious etc) makes me happy. They really gave HW a lot of love in this patch, and not even in terms of thematic stuff for Rockstar.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Eruption's now an AoE too isn't it? Which probably more than makes up for the longer cooldown.

Really, having a lot of the early melee attacks with AOE/much wider AOE cones was a long time coming, it made the melee ATs so much less horrible to level. And Heavy Weapons actually feels usable now, it was always just kind of frustrating to find the right sort of build for it a few years back.

Shame there's like fifteen people actually playing the game these days. Even the official forums are a ghost town. I gave up years ago when it was clear there wasn't going to be meaningful content, but dammit it's still fun at the core. :(

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm playing the hell out of Path of Exile lately, because it is really fun, sorry :shrug:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The HW updates are an unmitigated good for my HW character, who was an Earth Form super-INT build with Brimstone and Thermal Reverb for energy gain. But as for actually logging in and updating her so she can once again queue up with randos, who will be 95% incompetent and 5% annoying tryhards who run the whole mission solo so you don't get to play... :effort:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

How much guitar playing is actually involved in the rocker AT? Or is that just the one lockbox power?

Also I've got a huge stash of unspent zen from my lifetime sub, what's the best way to get the lockbox powers and what ones are there?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Kelp Plankton posted:

How much guitar playing is actually involved in the rocker AT? Or is that just the one lockbox power?

Also I've got a huge stash of unspent zen from my lifetime sub, what's the best way to get the lockbox powers and what ones are there?

Actually 0% guitar playing. The Power Solo ultimate isn't even included in the AT precisely because it's only a lockbox unlock, and the only really 'rockstar' related thing in the AT is Hyper Voice. Yes it confused me as well.

On the plus side it's a really common lockbox unlock, you can find the power sold on the AH for pretty low prices. This has generally been true for most power unlocks.

All the powers in lockboxes so far are ultimates of varying usefulness:
  • Gravity Driver - Force Ultimate, Huge sphere charge that does giant damage, stuns, knocks down, and breaks defenses of enemies. Really good but slow. In the Ravenswood Lockbox.
  • Endbringer's Grasp - Darkness Ultimate that's super gimmicky and obstructive, applies fear and causes weak enemies to fight for you randomly. In the Villain Lockbox.
  • Fractal Aegis - Weird Ice Ultimate that is a tank utility, use it to get orbiting crystals and knock crap down. In the Frozen Lockbox.
  • Power Chord - Funny and good ultimate that uses your heavy weapon and can be used to screw up nearby enemies with sonic damage and knock, and even can buff your allies like some kind of rock bard. In the Rockbox. Because it uses your heavy weapon you can play a rock solo on a sword. Or scythe. Or fish.

If playing a rock solo on a fish or giant club isn't your thing, the actual guitar weapon unlocks are also pretty cheap on the AH/common in the lockbox.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Okay sounds like it's time to give CO another go and revive my space alien rockstar character for sure

Hopefully they keep adding fun and weird abilities like that. The strongest part of the freeform system from a dev standpoint is being able to add bizzare powers without having to design a full class or set of abilities to go with them.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Kelp Plankton posted:

The strongest part of the freeform system from a dev standpoint is being able to add bizzare powers without having to design a full class or set of abilities to go with them.

I do kind of wish they'd given us a full sonic power set though. That, plants and water are the three biggest gaps in the game's available powers I think. Well, that and melee elemental powers. I miss my fire sword from CoH. Really I wish every power set had options for every role so that your role isn't determined by which power sets you like.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Didn't they add fire/ice/etc. melee skins at some point?

Maybe that was DCUO.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How is DCUO, thinking of downloading it tomorrow while I'm at work.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

I'd have asked some of the people in the DCUO thread, but it's been kind of quiet recently over there:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550311

As for my input on it, which is somewhat limited, DCUO's basically a highly-action-oriented game where basically every character is about equally able at combat. 'class' is loosely determined by the powerset you choose, which basically branches out to Tank, Controller, and Support/Healing, and on the flipside everyone being about even in terms of putting out damage on their own by using a separate 'fighting' set (usually a weapon or fighting style like boxing or kicks etc). Movement is a lot more regimented in choices (only 3), but overall also well-integrated into map functions and is probably the biggest selling point of the game as far as i'm concerned.

DCUO's actual combat system is some strange rock-paper-scissors thing where enemies use attacks you need to interrupt with your own attack (only specific interrupt attacks), dodge, or block. It was a bit convoluted for my tastes, though my use of Mouse/Keyboard probably didn't help. Most of CO's combat, by contrast, centers around knowing how to block and manage energy, which is pretty simple in execution once you get your numbers and power sources down.

I quit playing it after a week or two because the customization and character models are awful. Their engine can pull off some graphical effects CO can't quite yet, but the models over there seemed to be about the same graphical quality as CoX, which is saying something. Speaking on Unlocks, however, they're by character, so if you get a new part that you want to use on a new idea for a character that has different powers, you're out of luck. The class setup also means that you can't pull off crazy power-combo ideas like Darkness/Celestial/Martial Arts monks or Fire/Ice/Heavy Weapon knights or what have you.

So in short, DCUO's probably the better game but I don't like it because I have weird taste that values customization too much.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
Also: DCUO's travel powers are what other games should aspire to be like.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DCUO has a fun, though mashy, battle system.

Its character creator is extremely lacking though, and you basically can't name your character anymore because they merged all the servers and have a unique name system.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Thirding the approval of the travel powers, they feel far better than the other supers MMOs and letting the super speed travel go up walls and across ceilings and such is what CoH's and ChampO's equivalents desperately need.

Everything else about the game is poo poo though. :geno: I guess the F2P/subscription scheme it has isn't too bad or something? But I never got into enough to mess around with that.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

DCUO has a fun, though mashy, battle system.

Its character creator is extremely lacking though, and you basically can't name your character anymore because they merged all the servers and have a unique name system.

That was the other thing, it also is very CoX in how it names characters. CO doesn't give a crap about duplicate names because it makes use of the whole account name thing, which I think more MMOs do nowadays/should do.

IIRC there also was some kind of limit on how many numbers or whatever you can throw into your name in DCUO as well? I could be wrong because even without that restriction I try my hardest to avoid that naming convention.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The fact every other MMO company everywhere hasn't copied Cryptic's Name@Account thing is an absolute goddamn travesty, yes. You can kind of get away with it in fantasy games I guess where nobody cares if you're named "Myurtylah" or some other random keyboard fart, but even there all the simple and plausible names run out quick, and it's intolerable for any other genre.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Look out its xXxSuperSayianGokuSlayerxXx!

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Asimo posted:

The fact every other MMO company everywhere hasn't copied Cryptic's Name@Account thing is an absolute goddamn travesty, yes. You can kind of get away with it in fantasy games I guess where nobody cares if you're named "Myurtylah" or some other random keyboard fart, but even there all the simple and plausible names run out quick, and it's intolerable for any other genre.

So few other games actually do this and it's maddening. If it ever comes up in their forums you also get the pleasure of seeing people in a frothing rage at the slight possibility that they'd stumble upon another xSHADOWXSEPHIROTHx and lose the originality of their character.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
:kingsley: "gently caress! I had this awesome idea for a character, but the name was already taken. He'd be nothing without that specific name. What's wrong with having a catchy name that would actually look good on the cover of a comic book?"

:downswords: "You just lack imagination, idiot scrub. When I roll a brand new character, I simply consult this French thesaurus to aid me in finding a suitably obscure name for my walking bag of stats."

Someone on the CoX forums once started a thread titled "All The Good Names Aren't Taken!" because they chose the name Carpathian Chipmunk. I think that's the shittiest name I've ever heard. That said, what does or does not constitute a good name is wholly subjective, and you don't get to arbitrarily make that decision for someone else.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 28, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pesterchum posted:

So few other games actually do this and it's maddening. If it ever comes up in their forums you also get the pleasure of seeing people in a frothing rage at the slight possibility that they'd stumble upon another xSHADOWXSEPHIROTHx and lose the originality of their character.

These people are stupid, though, because I challenge anybody here to think of times when you saw two people use the same name independently that wasn't generic as hell.

I've seen it only twice. One of them was a weird instance of a friend of mine using a name on TSW that someone else used on CoX; they'd never met, but had a lot of mutual friends, so he probably subconsciously picked a name he'd heard before. The other was seeing two people in Club Caprice at the same time, with the exact same semi-obscure I-think-Celtic-but-don't-know name, and since they had vaguely similar looks but entirely different stories means I have no idea whether or not they knew each other.

EDIT: Although I will be fair. I don't think I'd have grown nearly as attached to the character that grew to be my main if I'd gotten my first idea of a name for them, 'IQ Test'. So the unique name system probably did me good there.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 28, 2016

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

We could never have done the Goonling Swarm without the @name system.

(DCUO's combat is kind of lovely and laggy, and their powerset documentation is even worse than CO's. It's free to try out, though.)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Any build type people want to throw together a Freeform version of the Rocker AT that includes the lockbox power? Also open to some rad pyrotechnics since you gotta have a good stage show to rock n roll.

Been so long I'm not sure how to build anything anymore.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Pretty much do exactly like the archetype and throw in the lockbox ultimate too? Freeform chars get more power picks than archtypes do. :v:

Can't help much beyond that, I've only started poking around again in the past week or so due to STO being a total dead zone of non-content a random whim, so I have no idea what the gently caress to do with specializations and what stats are good and whatever. Archetypes have been helpful there at least by cutting down on the options.

Also I forgot how drastically leveling slows down after 20 or so, sheesh. Now I remember why I dropped half my characters at 22-23ish...

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I totally forgot Freeform got more powers than ATs. I might just copy it and add some stuff then.

Though I did always enjoy seeing what builds goons come up with for things.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Bluhman has become a main expert on the freeform build game, so I'd expect him to drop some wisdom on you shortly.

I had a HW character with Clinging Flames synergies, and that stuff is pretty strong - Brimstone + Thermal Reverberation would let me drop an unlimited number of charge-up attacks on the instance boss while it was running.

I haven't been able to try out Absorb Heat in actual combat because Arc of Ruin no longer does anything to proc Enrage, which means I need to substantially rethink my build, at least to replace Arc with a new boss-crusher move with knockdown.

Eruption is still really great, though. Brimstone may no longer be necessary to smear fire on everything. Fire Snake is pretty handy for lighting dudes on fire, but will probably pull a bunch of unwanted aggro in non-instance combat.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

Any build type people want to throw together a Freeform version of the Rocker AT that includes the lockbox power? Also open to some rad pyrotechnics since you gotta have a good stage show to rock n roll.

Been so long I'm not sure how to build anything anymore.

It's been made even tougher nowadays because the person updating the character builder still needs to catch up on the new munitions stuff. Nullware's Powerhouse is still a bit outdated.

I'd still mess around in it a bit just to get an idea of what sort of class (how tanky etc) you're going for. Maybe use other powers as placeholders?

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

My personal recommendations on what to do: Take Strength as your primary superstat and Constitution as a secondary. Because you likely are going to be a Fire/Heavy Weapons mix, Endurance is likely as your other secondary.

Absorb Heat is actually really good, but like Saturn said very difficult to actually test because most damaging things in the powerhouse tend to die before they get clinging flames on them.

Annihilate with its new advantage is the most damaging ability for single targets, but requires Clinging Flames to trigger. The main ways to get that buff applied in Heavy Weapons include Cleave, Eruption with Adv., Brimstone with Adv., and Earth Splitter, among several other abilities. My choice would be to take cleave, because it does a lot with each swing/completed combo.

As an aside, the current setup HW has means it can synergize with a lot of other powersets, like wind and bestial. At the moment though Fire is probably the most effective since it not only is a good bit of DoT, but the endurance setup means you can take Flame Reverb and have massive amounts of energy to work with.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pesterchum posted:

In fact name reservation is a common preorder bonus for new MMOs.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

At this point, I'd stay away from DCUO. It's pretty much dead. Sony sold it to some other company. Also, it's full of toxic players.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My download should be finished by now, unless I have to patch even more when I get home. Gonna give it a shot, I tried it on the console at one point I dont remember which, only did the tutorial.

The one thing I dont like about CO is you cant really make a minimal costume, all the decals for the tights go into absolute poo poo quality in game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Kheldarn posted:

Also, it's full of toxic players.

This can't be said often enough.

If anyone remember what it was like playing a Cleric in EQ1 (literally doing nothing but cast heal spell, sit to regen mana, stand and heal, sit regen, etc etc etc) that is the only accepted way to play Controller characters in DCUO according to the community. When I played I would get kicked out of group scenario things because I would do poo poo like crowd control. No, the only thing you're supposed to do is work up your combo meter so you can feed energy to everyone else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

At this point, I'd stay away from DCUO. It's pretty much dead. Sony sold it to some other company. Also, it's full of toxic players.

The former Sony Online Entertainment was spun-off, they didn't actually sell it. Daybreak is SOE.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

In fact name reservation is a common preorder bonus for new MMOs.

Bonus: Games who have it as a preorder bonus and then force you to change your character name a few months later. (Wildstar)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
DCUO is pretty funny, theres like herds of citizens running around for what I can only assume is forever.

The combat is pretty meh, I think I prefer the CO stuff were I can aoe down like 10+ guys.

The powers are also kinda lame in DCUO, like your spaming these kung fu moves you gained from being a super person so you can like spray teal fear gas at people by a laser. It almost feels like you don't even have super powers.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 29, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
As a CO player of several years and someone who has just started trying DCUO, I really can't get into the latter. I'm not sure why but the whole thing feels kind of strange. I don't really feel like a superhero and, throughout a lot of the quests, some big DC name just shows up to kind of solve it anyway. The typical MMO name stuff gets me, too, because in CO and NWN names didn't have to be unique. The customization, too, is really weak.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's pretty much inevitable due to DC's incompetent license handling the big property it's attached to. You're playing a DC game! Of course you want to see <licensed hero> doing cool things! Why would you want to be original, don't you want to be just like <licensed hero>? If you're really good and grind a lot you might even be <licensed hero>'s sidekick! :downs:

It really really shows through in the design, intentionally or not.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Milky Moor posted:

As a CO player of several years and someone who has just started trying DCUO, I really can't get into the latter. I'm not sure why but the whole thing feels kind of strange. I don't really feel like a superhero and, throughout a lot of the quests, some big DC name just shows up to kind of solve it anyway. The typical MMO name stuff gets me, too, because in CO and NWN names didn't have to be unique. The customization, too, is really weak.

Say you want to do fire power stuff, you have to run around punching bad guys with a choice melee weapon so you can charge up to do 1 super power move over and over. Unlike in CO if you want to do fire stuff, if you choose you can use all fire moves. Not like a fire ball then have to use the DW builder.

All the weapons looks so bad after combat too, 1 handed holds his hand over his head like hes a drat monkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

One of the "weapons" in DCUO is Hand Blasters, which animates as "you shoot people with beams and blasts of your superpower element". It's a little telling how many of the licensed characters are implemented with it - of course Fire Man fights by hitting people with Fire, why would he need a Fire Gun or a Fire Sword to do that?

The beat-em-up aspect is innovative, but would have worked better in a single-player game. I don't want to have to mentally navigate combo trees while also trying to respond to a game of Rock Paper Scissors I'm playing behind a half second of lag. By the endgame of any given character I'm basically cycling the button-mash combos that will punish me the least for losing the RPS game, because those losses come largely at random.

Their build system is loving apalling. I like playing Fire Gun Man and Fire Sword Man, and I wish Champions did a better job of that, the way CoH used to. The problem is that they all have Fire Power 1 that causes Burning and Fire Power 2 that causes Ignition and it doesn't actually say what those do, or what powers use them, and you have to learn which particle effect means what without any explicit clues.