Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

EC posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Salt & Sanctuary: Just Use Giant gently caress Off Weapons

Big gently caress Off Weapons™

Trivializing PVE souls content since 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Smaller weapons got a much kinder treatment in all the souls games than they do here. There's definitely an imbalance in those gmaes but not like there is here.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
So i found the hot topic Covenant and their magic all seems really, really broken. I assume the dark magic doesn't have elemental balance like Fire and Sky?

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Smornstein posted:

So i found the hot topic Covenant and their magic all seems really, really broken. I assume the dark magic doesn't have elemental balance like Fire and Sky?

Yes, but it does make you spray blood out of yourself which makes you take bonus damage when struck.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Genocyber posted:

Start as The Three since that's the easiest to level. At Devotion 3 (I think) you can purchase a flintlock pistol from the Blacksmith. Pistols (especially the higher tier ones you transmute) are quite powerful and you can parry with them. A cool thing you can do is do a melee attack and then followup with an r2 that has you dashing back and firing a shot (also works with xbows and wands). Switch over to The Stone Roots once you have your pistol; for a light weapon build poison is incredibly helpful versus the tankier bosses, and two of the rewards for gaining Devotion are tons of poison knives and a poison buff item, respectively.

For gear I'd recommend going with both swords and whips, maybe daggers too if you like the feel. Swords are solid weapons with fun combos, whips are a bit boring but have very good range. With Whips you can also make a few whip swords that have a mix of whip and sword movesets. A cool sword you can make is Flint & Steel which is a gunsword (be wary of using it in combination with a pistol, firing it causes a glitch making pistols just vanish from your inventory if you have them equipped).

Thanks.

Though, I think I'm going to start with Devara's Light because you can buy the flintlock pistol from that creed's blacksmith immediately.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The game's gonna pick up a fair bit as you get access to more movement options. Take on the Ziggurat next.

I finished the game last week, I'm just rerunning with different builds now.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Yes, but it does make you spray blood out of yourself which makes you take bonus damage when struck.

Yeah, this sounds amazing.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I killed the Nameless Deep and finished up my platinum :toot:

I really enjoyed the game, wrote about it here.

It's not quite a Souls game but is totally a worthy try and it would benefit greatly from a Scholar of the First Salt type patch.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ultrachrist posted:

I killed the Nameless Deep and finished up my platinum :toot:

I really enjoyed the game, wrote about it here.

It's not quite a Souls game but is totally a worthy try and it would benefit greatly from a Scholar of the First Salt type patch.

I'd honestly just have a few patches to fix the damage balances and then a sequel to start development, this game could easily carry a franchise.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Magic in this game is a little OP, huh. Most of the bosses can be obliterated with either the fireball-volley-whatever spell or the lightning bird summon thing.

I'm at the last boss. Only one attempt in and I'm really not looking forward to having to take this looooooooooong rear end walk to the boss each time I die.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BlackFrost posted:

Magic in this game is a little OP, huh. Most of the bosses can be obliterated with either the fireball-volley-whatever spell or the lightning bird summon thing.

I'm at the last boss. Only one attempt in and I'm really not looking forward to having to take this looooooooooong rear end walk to the boss each time I die.

The length doesn't bother me, it's that the game forces me to take fall damage to challenge the boss. It's needlessly cheap, particularly for the last boss of the game.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

According to the wiki, the House of Splendor stone mage is supposed to sell Flame Barrage on top of other spells. But I joined them and summoned up a mage and he's not selling anything like that. Why is that?

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

According to the wiki, the House of Splendor stone mage is supposed to sell Flame Barrage on top of other spells. But I joined them and summoned up a mage and he's not selling anything like that. Why is that?

The wiki has a lot of stuff like that listed inefficiently. Some pages show what they sell at lowest devotion rank, some at highest with no marking of milestones.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Flame barrage is also found in a mid to late game area so you don't need to do the house of splendor at all. The best spells come from the betrayer and the fire and sky dudes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The endgame areas take such a dive in fun, the game went from 'this is cool to explore' to poo poo tier falling to your death constantly because the levels are all oriented downwards and you can't see far enough below to plan a fall and/or one slip results in instadeath. Lame poo poo.

Game is really cool in places, but really rough in others, and the rough parts are dragging my opinion of the total package down pretty badly :|

e: since I'm probably done with the game, I should leave a positive note and say this game is a stunning achievement for a two person team, and they created a really cool world, so I do hope it does well for them

victrix fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 29, 2016

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

If nothing else I'd say the success of this game will warrant some improvements made via updates.

I'm personally kind of :psyduck: over how none of the light armor is more protective than the Level 0 Hunter's Jacket.

Seriously my jacket is the most protective piece of heavy(?) equipment as a dexterity-focused character. You literally need no other armor except maybe the pale mask (which is still only slightly better than the hunter hat) if you're going light build. I just refunded my light armor spheres. Not worth.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
I'm definitely in the Big gently caress Off Weapon camp. :black101: Beat my first play through with great hammers/axes and prayers. I would cast Divine Blessed Weapon, Ethereal Intervention and Divine Armor right before every boss and I never had any problems with any of the bosses really.

Buff up damage/strength with rings/charms and watch bosses crumble in a few hits. The witch was the only tricky one, but that was only because I tried getting cute with a shield instead of just getting good.

I also never went past Heavy Armor lvl 4. The trade off with weight vs protection never seemed worth it with level 5 gear. Plus those big weapons take up enough weight already even with putting a lot in to endurance so I could quick roll. Blocking didn't seem too important to me once you learned a bosses attack patterns. Rolling/timing is.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

victrix posted:

The endgame areas take such a dive in fun, the game went from 'this is cool to explore' to poo poo tier falling to your death constantly because the levels are all oriented downwards and you can't see far enough below to plan a fall and/or one slip results in instadeath. Lame poo poo.

Game is really cool in places, but really rough in others, and the rough parts are dragging my opinion of the total package down pretty badly :|

e: since I'm probably done with the game, I should leave a positive note and say this game is a stunning achievement for a two person team, and they created a really cool world, so I do hope it does well for them

The Crypt of the Gods is thoroughly un-fun. I liked the Still Palace, it had a nice atmosphere and felt reminiscent of the first area of the game in color scheme, so it's like the game bookends itself. The game's level design peaks at the Hall of Red Cages, and the best endgame area is probably the Mire 'cause of all the fun platform (and not the Pitchwoods for all of the UNfun platforming).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Demtor posted:

I'm definitely in the Big gently caress Off Weapon camp. :black101: Beat my first play through with great hammers/axes and prayers. I would cast Divine Blessed Weapon, Ethereal Intervention and Divine Armor right before every boss and I never had any problems with any of the bosses really.

I'm heading in that direction myself, only with greatswords and prayers. I wasted a bunch of pearls on spear stuff, though, so I'm lagging behind on the prayer side of things pretty thoroughly.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
It's really too bad you can't use a grey pearl to take back some of the weapon/armor choices as some you find out in use are really not that good. Oh well, I guess that's what multiple characters are for if you really desire to min/max. At least the weapon and armor talents in the trees give decent stat boosts too.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

victrix posted:

You know you can pan the camera with the right stick? There's some optional things that take some dodgy jumps but you shouldn't regularly be making blind jumps.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Internet Friend posted:

You know you can pan the camera with the right stick? There's some optional things that take some dodgy jumps but you shouldn't regularly be making blind jumps.

Yeah I finished it, and no, panning didn't help in the areas that were pissing me off

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Internet Friend posted:

The camera doesn't pan enough in those areas. It's a really, really silly difficulty jump - struggling with the mechanics isn't legitimate challenge IMO.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I'm enjoying this game but the last boss is crazy resistant to all elements, pretty resistant to slash and completely vulnerable to strike damage. Yay for my dagger poison guy (sigh).

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
Finished this game yesterday. Didn't realise there was a thread for it. I thought it was really good! Definitely some issues e.g. the witch of the lake seemed entirely luck based. If she used the homing red beam attack and then the white orb machine gun, I was toast. Absolutely no avoiding it. Also the timing on rolls seemed quite inconsistent though that's probably my fault for not getting gud. I also had no clue what the various creeds did and why I would pick one over the other.

On the plus side though, they absolutely nailed general exploration which I think is the best thing about this game. Almost too much because I couldn't remember how to get from one place to another a lot of the time but that's fine by me.

All in all, excellent game, well worth the money.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I'm enjoying this game but the last boss is crazy resistant to all elements, pretty resistant to slash and completely vulnerable to strike damage. Yay for my dagger poison guy (sigh).

I am pretty sure he's weak to holy, if you have some Sacred Pages.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Nothing like painfully running an agonizing gauntlet to happen upon a shortcut back to Bandit's Pass. Why yes, I'd like to chill at a sanctuary I unlocked 5 hours ago. Thanks game! :3:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stargate posted:

I also had no clue what the various creeds did and why I would pick one over the other.

Creeds affect what items NPCs sell and the text in the ending.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Earlier I commented about about magic feeling underwhelming compared to greatswords. Well, now I have static geist (level 4 incantation, got it from one of the non-starting creeds) and it seems like a great boss-killer, particularly when you consider that it's an incantation and can supplement my melee. It really chewed up Ronin Cran. I cast flame guardian, lightning pod and then spammed geist while fat rolling around like an rear end in a top hat and felt really good about it. :shobon:

Dragonfire seems fun but annihilates focus. Do I just need to pump willpower or has it been nerfed?

How are the dark spells? They seem cool but the debuff would be rough when wearing heavy armor.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
The wiki says the last location of the Thief is in the Far Beach, but I can't find her to save my life. I've been talking to her at every location so far so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Edit: actually I'm a dummy, I gotta beat the stupid cavern boss first. gently caress.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Dark Swarm in particular is especially broken from what i've seen. If you played Dark Souls 1 it's basically Pursuers, homing missiles that lock on to enemies, and just tears through most bosses since they're all so tall it never misses them.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Can you do anything with the NPCs that wander into a sanctuary then wander out whilst you're doing leveling up and so on?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Angrymog posted:

Can you do anything with the NPCs that wander into a sanctuary then wander out whilst you're doing leveling up and so on?

Those are actually other players I think. I'm guess it's like a bonfire situation in Dark souls where you can see other players who are resting at the same spot as you.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Where can I find enemies the drop "Drowned Soldier's Ear"?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

One will always spawn right above the Village of Smiles Sanctuary, although it's tedious to grind it. There's another one in that area too.

EDIT: I think there's a handful in the upper reaches of the Festering Banquet.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

A couple spawn in the corpse pile to the right of the Bandit's Pass sanctuary, IIRC.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
IIRC I actually had the best luck grinding the ones below the Sunken Keep sanctuary, east of the kraeken cyclops. It worked out because I also needed the drop from the eyeball mobs.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Kind of confused about oaths at the moment. So I guess I joined The 3 covenant when I started the game by talking to that old guy? Now I'm in the woods and joined whatever covenant that was. And my healing item changed to a leaf but I guess it's still the same?

You level up covenants by having a leader at the sanctuary and giving them ears? Does that level up the blacksmith as well?

Should I just stay in one covenant for most of the game? I just found out you lose all your progress when you switch. :(

Other than that confusion, really enjoying this game a lot! Though the hit boxes on the Cyclops kraken guy I just fought were kind of bs. Had to switch to my lightest armor just so I could get far enough behind him on my roll so he didn't clip me with his overhead slam that wasn't near me.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Kind of confused about oaths at the moment. So I guess I joined The 3 covenant when I started the game by talking to that old guy? Now I'm in the woods and joined whatever covenant that was. And my healing item changed to a leaf but I guess it's still the same?

You level up covenants by having a leader at the sanctuary and giving them ears? Does that level up the blacksmith as well?

Should I just stay in one covenant for most of the game? I just found out you lose all your progress when you switch. :(

Other than that confusion, really enjoying this game a lot! Though the hit boxes on the Cyclops kraken guy I just fought were kind of bs. Had to switch to my lightest armor just so I could get far enough behind him on my roll so he didn't clip me with his overhead slam that wasn't near me.

That is how you level up a creed's devotion, yes. Each time you level it you can choose +1 item that'll be given to you when you check in at a shrine/sanctuary. So for the forest covenant you just joined you could have a bonus healing potion, a mana potion, a poison weapon consumable or (25? 10?) poisoned throwing daggers. Also yeah the merchants, blacksmiths, mages and clerics will sell new buffs/weapons/spells.

e: I am actually not clear on if your "reward" progress gets cleared if you rejoin a creed. So if you level up to devotion 7 with the Three, leave, then come back, I thiiiink you will get the +item rewards from having leveled the creed even if it says devotion 1.

Anyone have any input on Keepers of Fire and Sky vs. Order of the Betrayer for NG+? The former seems like it would have me casting spells more often. And yet, the flask of defilement... My guy is swords 4/heavy armor 5/staves 5, working on maxing wands then will either do shields or just pump magic.

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 31, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your progress does get reset to 1 if you leave the creed. I had to level up devora again when I accidentally left because they put the "join this creed" menu option in the same place where "level up" normally is when you're in another creed's sanctuary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is Ronin Cran necessary? Anything good? I am loving HATING this torch-brand jumping from the Salt Alkemancy area. For some reason it's really picky about when I catch the ledge so I fall to my death a TON.

• Locked thread