Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
An inserter that would only fill up ammo and fuel would be nice instead of stuffing my entire arsenal in the trunk of the tank I just suicided :downs:. I want more vehicles too like a laser tank or gigantic mech. The tank just doesn't cut it with big biters. Oh ICBMs instead of satellite launches too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
You should be able to do that with a smart inserter though?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I really want moddable vehicles and tanks. Give them slots like power armor so that we can put shields, turrets, and other poo poo on them (I'd also like to be able to strap gun turrets to the tank/car so that they get the damage bonuses). It'd also be cool to have vehicle mods start out just as you start getting cars, with better versions and more cool things as more poo poo is unlocked.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dirk the Average posted:

Of course, then you get hilarious poo poo like metals used in completely inappropriate contexts (especially nitinol) and arbitrary stuff like the need to build bearings and stuff in stages instead of all at once.

There are a lot of little busy work things in the mod that I really dislike. I love the increased tiers of things, but balancing all of the inputs and outputs of a hundred different processes is a pain in the rear end.

Yeah but it still sure beats the pants off 'haul this stuff out of the ground, squish it up with water and tranmogrify it into a turbine. The bearings are only ever used in the races anyway so you do have to wonder why but hey, it's just an extra assembler in the chain. It's the best of the current bunch IMO and there's plenty in there that irritates me like his fixation with logistic bots rather than belts.

Jabor posted:

I find that the balance of Bob's mods is really off if you're playing the game single-player. There's so much stuff to do that by the time you've finished setting one thing up, you've researched a half-dozen more, and there's little point to implementing fully efficient solutions because even the slow and naive ones will have backed up by the time you've finished your next task.

It seems like multiplayer would fix those issues, because you both have more hands working in stuff (so you don't get so far behind the tech tree), and more people consuming items so that your factory actually gets to build stuff instead of constantly backing up.

It's actually ok, play Bobs with a science cost increase mod or just use less labs. Problem solved, you don't have to race to everything ASAP and trust me, once you hit his 2nd blue pack and into alien research, it slows waaay down. That's before you even get into the module research. I just finished all science (including the follower 20) in a solo game at 3 days 21 hours played. I was going to stop at follower 10 but I'd just made some god module 5s and they made finishing it off a matter of a couple of hours. MP Bobs is good but has the drawback that you might never have touched half the processes so you have no idea WTF this block over here that Joe built does.

Spaseman posted:

Does anyone have a good guide for the Uranium Power mod? I am trying to avoid the tedium of building another massive solar farm but this mod is super unintuitive and the only guide I can find is the mod authors meandering youtube video.

Pageing Dronefragger to the thread... he built a working 140MW plant in our save.

Azuth0667 posted:

An inserter that would only fill up ammo and fuel would be nice instead of stuffing my entire arsenal in the trunk of the tank I just suicided :downs:. I want more vehicles too like a laser tank or gigantic mech. The tank just doesn't cut it with big biters. Oh ICBMs instead of satellite launches too.

As Solumin said: smart inserter, set the filter. For tanks, Bobs plus the Uranium power mod adds a hilariously OP level of violence but that MK3 tank really DOES feel tanky. Use the explosive artillery shells and nuclear shells (forget the full name, the harder to make ones). Just make sure you're not too close when you fire those bad boys or you're going up with it. And don't bother firing more than 1 per nest, nothing is going to survive.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ratzap posted:

It's actually ok, play Bobs with a science cost increase mod or just use less labs. Problem solved, you don't have to race to everything ASAP and trust me, once you hit his 2nd blue pack and into alien research, it slows waaay down. That's before you even get into the module research.

I have 5 labs and 5 module labs, they churn through the tech tree faster than I can put things together. Am I just a slow builder? I've researched literally everything that doesn't require alien science, and I just got titanium/nitinol hooked up and started putting together some modular roboport assembly.

Yes, Alien science can be a bit of a bottleneck to slow things down, but that's the opposite of helpful - it's yet another thing that's gated on something I need to do (instead of being something that the factory needs to do while I'm working on something else). I guess I could cram a bunch of pollution increasing modules somewhere and make a biter farm?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
So I'm looking for come recommendations for modest mods. I've been playing this game 2ish years and I've never installed any mods. In my current game I've recently discovered a distant oil field, so I'm going to install the Oil Tanker mod and probably that track placement mod to support it. I'm not really interested in adding bloat for bloat's sake nor do I really care to add anything to combat. Any recommendations?

As an aside I'll say that I also started playing in peaceful mode after 2 years as well. The defense/combat portions of the game are sort of boring for me. I would LOVE to turn it back on, but not until there's a fundamental change in combat. I think it would be cool if the devs allowed for modular autonomous combat vehicles that could be programmed through basic Boolean logic. Perhaps there could a central control AI that would sort of a bitch to make, but you could then program tactical things with your vehicles. You could do things like program vehicles to patrol your walls, stop and refuel when low, and seek and destroy in an indicated area.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

I have 5 labs and 5 module labs, they churn through the tech tree faster than I can put things together. Am I just a slow builder? I've researched literally everything that doesn't require alien science, and I just got titanium/nitinol hooked up and started putting together some modular roboport assembly.

Yes, Alien science can be a bit of a bottleneck to slow things down, but that's the opposite of helpful - it's yet another thing that's gated on something I need to do (instead of being something that the factory needs to do while I'm working on something else). I guess I could cram a bunch of pollution increasing modules somewhere and make a biter farm?

I used 10 labs for all the science: normal, alien and modules - 10 labs each. I was waiting on things to finish a lot of the time :shrug: The first 3 tiers goes very fast, then slows for the 4th, again for the 5th alien stuff then again for the alien labs (you have to farm up a lot of multi coloured artifacts too). Maybe you're neater than me, I just threw something up, it worked and I moved on.

On the Toxic forest front, I played a couple of hours on it today. After clearing a patch to work in and expose some ores, I put up a single lab to start on red science and the usual helper stuff.

Much more clearing later (the red science was almost finished by now) I got some furnace blocks squeezed in, hooked up and a standard circuit build.

Lastly a rather compact red/green build which should fill 10 labs (when I add more). All but the power generation is fueled by wood. I had to cut down a horrifying amount of trees which is also bad because they absorb the pollution and keeping those enormous nests from attacking me.

Apart from the tree clearing tedium it's actually turning out interesting. I need to clear to build things but clearing and building makes an overwhelming attack more likely. Getting blue science done in a compact manner could be fun.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ratzap posted:

I used 10 labs for all the science: normal, alien and modules - 10 labs each. I was waiting on things to finish a lot of the time :shrug: The first 3 tiers goes very fast, then slows for the 4th, again for the 5th alien stuff then again for the alien labs (you have to farm up a lot of multi coloured artifacts too). Maybe you're neater than me, I just threw something up, it worked and I moved on.

On the Toxic forest front, I played a couple of hours on it today. After clearing a patch to work in and expose some ores, I put up a single lab to start on red science and the usual helper stuff.

Much more clearing later (the red science was almost finished by now) I got some furnace blocks squeezed in, hooked up and a standard circuit build.

Lastly a rather compact red/green build which should fill 10 labs (when I add more). All but the power generation is fueled by wood. I had to cut down a horrifying amount of trees which is also bad because they absorb the pollution and keeping those enormous nests from attacking me.

Apart from the tree clearing tedium it's actually turning out interesting. I need to clear to build things but clearing and building makes an overwhelming attack more likely. Getting blue science done in a compact manner could be fun.

Isn't your pollution basically zero though? With that many trees, it can't be that high.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Okay, basic lanes/balancing question. Here's a setup of mine using the main bus method.

I decided to crop the image so pardon the redundant red outline. As you can see I have a pretty full main bus of iron plates. However, I'm not using nearly enough of the furnaces at the top to create steel. The first few are getting plates, but the furnaces chew through the plates fast enough that all the furnaces aren't being used. What is the best way to fill up the two lanes of iron plates for the steel furnaces? Screenshots would be great if possible. Thanks.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
From a raw ratio standpoint, Steel takes 5 iron plates and takes 5x as long. So if your furnaces are the same, you need to feed your steel furnaces with an equal amount of iron furnaces.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The easiest fix would be to send more than 1/8th of your iron production into your steel line. As it is, if you're producing 1000 iron plates/minute, you're going to end up making only 25 steel, which is pretty rubbish. Try branching off for your steel line before you split things out into four belts. Or take an entire belt (or even multiple) for steel instead of just half a belt.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Node posted:

Okay, basic lanes/balancing question. Here's a setup of mine using the main bus method.

I decided to crop the image so pardon the redundant red outline. As you can see I have a pretty full main bus of iron plates. However, I'm not using nearly enough of the furnaces at the top to create steel. The first few are getting plates, but the furnaces chew through the plates fast enough that all the furnaces aren't being used. What is the best way to fill up the two lanes of iron plates for the steel furnaces? Screenshots would be great if possible. Thanks.

You currently have one full belt of iron splitting into four lanes. You are then taking 1/2 of 1/4 of that and using it for steel. Given that it's 5 iron per steel, you're getting 1/40 of your iron production as steel. That's not a heck of a lot.

Really the big problem is that if you look at the splitter setup you have, there's no belt on the far left side. You literally have one line of iron going into four lines, and that's your primary problem. Take a look here for some belt balancing setups so that you can set the input belts you want and the output belts you want.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Whew.... finally got logistics robots set up, figuring out which chests do what to get what I need where I need was a little tricky at first (what the heck is the difference between an active and passive provider chest?) but the little robos are running around getting necessary components to disparate factory locations. That's good.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Thanks for the responses. This is harder than I thought.

It looks like I need to start from the beginning, and have more furnaces smelting iron plates.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Storage: Deep storage. You put stuff here and forget about it. Logistics robots grab from here if they can't grab from anywhere else.
Passive Provider: Low storage. You put stuff here and logistics robots grab it to give to requester chests.
Active Provider: Trash. You put stuff that you want gone. Logistics robots will instantly go there and give it to requests/storage chests (in that order).

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Solumin posted:

You should be able to do that with a smart inserter though?

I tried this it fills those slots then dumps the entirety of the chest into the trunk of the tank.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Requester chests are easy, you just slap them down wherever you want robots to deliver showing in particular.

Passive providers are used for places you want robots to take stuff from if they need it, but if it's not used it can just sit there. The output of your infrastructure-producing assemblers, for example. Active providers are similar, but the robots will empty it out even if nothing's requesting it. This is a bit more niche, but does have useful spots - for example, if you're emptying oil barrels, putting an active provider on the empty barrel output will make sure it never fills up and stops your oil production.

Storage chests are just for storage. So if you stick stuff in your logistic trash slots, or tell the bots to deconstruct something, or it gets taken out of an active provider, then it will go into a storage chest if there are no requester chests asking for it. Just slap some down in the middle of your base and forget about it, usually.

One neat thing is that storage chests are also higher-priority than passive providers when it comes to fulfilling requests, so it's not like they're a big resource hole - if you put something into storage, and then request more of it, the bots will go get the ones out of storage instead of grabbing from providers and having your factory make more.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Jabor posted:

Requester chests are easy, you just slap them down wherever you want robots to deliver showing in particular.

Passive providers are used for places you want robots to take stuff from if they need it, but if it's not used it can just sit there. The output of your infrastructure-producing assemblers, for example. Active providers are similar, but the robots will empty it out even if nothing's requesting it. This is a bit more niche, but does have useful spots - for example, if you're emptying oil barrels, putting an active provider on the empty barrel output will make sure it never fills up and stops your oil production.

Storage chests are just for storage. So if you stick stuff in your logistic trash slots, or tell the bots to deconstruct something, or it gets taken out of an active provider, then it will go into a storage chest if there are no requester chests asking for it. Just slap some down in the middle of your base and forget about it, usually.

One neat thing is that storage chests are also higher-priority than passive providers when it comes to fulfilling requests, so it's not like they're a big resource hole - if you put something into storage, and then request more of it, the bots will go get the ones out of storage instead of grabbing from providers and having your factory make more.

Oooh. I had no idea storage chests would be taken out from. I thought it was purely to signal to robots 'this is where you drop off trash'.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Well I started my first actual not-peaceful game with my friend. It's going pretty well so far, we have a lot of resources nearby and a lot of room to expand. (I'm still waiting for 0.13 before trying trains, so no FARL/RSO just yet.) We've got ammo, turrets and walls being manufactured, and we got all the way up to needing green science in the ~2 hours we played.

Dying sucks. What's the mod that makes dying suck less?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

graveyard mod or something

also, rail building is only a bitch when you need to build massive tracks. imo it's not too awful when you've got FARL and the only thing you need to put in are junctions. they take like 2 mins.

Edit: How do I properly understand the production tab? I don't get what the bars indicate. I've got more metal plates being produced than is consumed, both bars are full. Gears being produced bar is only half full for some reason.

I also think I hosed my RSO Map up. I turned richness up by one at map generation, and now I'm finding deposits that are 110k total for iron, which is a ridiculously high amount. I'm not entirely sure how quickly I'll burn through those during the end-game, but I'm hoping they don't last for-loving-ever. Else it'll sort of defeat the entire purpose of RSO. I won't need to travel out far if I've got massive deposits that last years.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 29, 2016

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I have the flu. This means I have all the time in the world to think about factorio, but I don't have enough energy to actually play it.

Goddamn

Qubee
May 31, 2013

dogstile posted:

I have the flu. This means I have all the time in the world to think about factorio, but I don't have enough energy to actually play it.

Goddamn

Drink coffee and then you'll have a caffeine buzz that'll have you pumping out logistical solutions and OPTIMIZING your factory np

Just be sure to drink plenty of fluids as well since coffee is a diuretic

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Node posted:

You've got 4 lanes of iron, but you've only got the capacity to throughput 1. Instead of taking two full lanes, merging them into 1, then splitting that into 4, just have your two lanes continue throughout.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Loopoo posted:

Drink coffee and then you'll have a caffeine buzz that'll have you pumping out logistical solutions and OPTIMIZING your factory np

Just be sure to drink plenty of fluids as well since coffee is a diuretic

Coffee/caffeine is not a diuretic.

Multiple studies have been done that show that people drinking coffee lose as much fluid as someone drinking an equal amount of other fluids, but everyone continues to listen to their mother instead of science.

This continues to perpetuate because really, most people aren't drinking enough fluid in their day to day lives, while the coffee drinkers are taking in said liquids.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

An extra belt in this green area might help a little, though you will have more iron on your left belts.
Everything has to go through this red area, the slowest splitters. That's why it's backed up behind there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gibbo posted:

Coffee/caffeine is not a diuretic.

Multiple studies have been done that show that people drinking coffee lose as much fluid as someone drinking an equal amount of other fluids, but everyone continues to listen to their mother instead of science.

This continues to perpetuate because really, most people aren't drinking enough fluid in their day to day lives, while the coffee drinkers are taking in said liquids.
Diuresis only means it makes you pee sooner than later, which is true for caffeine. Beverages aren't negative hydration like the old wives tale, but its a pretty neutral hydration source since it's in and out quickly, you can't really retain that volume over time as a sweat reserve or spending time upstream of the bladder. "Drink more fluids with coffee" is shorthand for "ignore your mouth's and stomach's status report on hydration after drinking coffee, its temporarily cut out of the hydration loop." Which is kind of important to keep in mind if you are sick and drinking tea/coffee, or using caffeine as a performance enhancing drug during athletic or strenuous activity.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Chunjee posted:

An extra belt in this green area might help a little, though you will have more iron on your left belts.
Everything has to go through this red area, the slowest splitters. That's why it's backed up behind there.

Actually, just delete the first splitter and juke the input belts to feed the second splitter. The result will be identical.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Is there a PGS thread or something for people to organize MP? I kinda want to putz around a factory with people but have no idea if anyone even plays multiplayer.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Is there a PGS thread or something for people to organize MP? I kinda want to putz around a factory with people but have no idea if anyone even plays multiplayer.

I don't think there is but if there's a group that wants to organize a game I'd be down. We'd probably want to coordinate a "start time" so we can all get in at the beginning when the cooperation will matter a little more.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dirk the Average posted:

Isn't your pollution basically zero though? With that many trees, it can't be that high.

It is pretty low, about the same width as the base all round but to expand I have to clear, to get more resource I'll need to clear. I assume that's why the challenge setup put all resources to very high frequency, to make the start less painful and drive you to clear more later. For now it's not a problem but those biter nests are absolutely enormous and they scare me. Hopefully they're as choked with trees as I am, any attack should end up as an endless trickle coming through the lane they chew.

Loopoo posted:

I also think I hosed my RSO Map up. I turned richness up by one at map generation, and now I'm finding deposits that are 110k total for iron, which is a ridiculously high amount. I'm not entirely sure how quickly I'll burn through those during the end-game, but I'm hoping they don't last for-loving-ever. Else it'll sort of defeat the entire purpose of RSO. I won't need to travel out far if I've got massive deposits that last years.

110k is pretty low. Out around the 1500 chunk marker in my RSO map, I'm getting 1M+ deposits. But the point is I've already gone through over 2M iron and copper each because that save is also using science cost tweaker. If you're running a stock game with RSO then yeah, you're not going to have much to do with all the stuff. SCT makes science cost 4 to 9 times more (but it's configurable if you want more or less) and most importantly has it's own intermediates. You can't run down the lines when you want inserters, those materials are gone.

CanOfMDAmp posted:

I don't think there is but if there's a group that wants to organize a game I'd be down. We'd probably want to coordinate a "start time" so we can all get in at the beginning when the cooperation will matter a little more.

I'd be up for a new MP game. My usual lot have sloped off playing other things. Before starting, it'd be best to meet up on a TS/mumble and discuss any mods wanted before trying to get the game going. Also note that whoever hosts needs to have a good uplink speed and set the peer to peer off. That way people on slower links can play without causing the game to choke.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Node posted:

Thanks for the responses. This is harder than I thought.

It looks like I need to start from the beginning, and have more furnaces smelting iron plates.

Yes. You need more of everything.

I recommend looking at my smelter stacks from earlier in the thread - somewhere between 80 and 120 iron smelters is usually enough for mid-game. And make sure you attach pass-through buffer storage to the end of the smelter column - when you do start using more iron than you are outputting, you want a few hundred thousand units so you don't run low before you get additional capacity set up. (Also covers times when your ore supply starts to thin out.)

Loopoo posted:

This is the universe's way of telling you that you need to start building on a proper scale. 110K should last a few hours at most, once you get going properly.

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 29, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I went back and counted and I've built about 70 iron smelters across 2 different freeplay games. 45 in the default settings rocket launch one.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kenlon posted:

Yes. You need more of everything.

I recommend looking at my smelter stacks from earlier in the thread - somewhere between 80 and 120 iron smelters is usually enough for mid-game. And make sure you attach pass-through buffer storage to the end of the smelter column - when you do start using more iron than you are outputting, you want a few hundred thousand units so you don't run low before you get additional capacity set up. (Also covers times when your ore supply starts to thin out.)

This is the universe's way of telling you that you need to start building on a proper scale. 110K should last a few hours at most, once you get going properly.

How do people define the various stages of the game? I feel like "using blue techs" is midgame, and getting 100 iron smelters up in advance of that seems insane. I'm on <20 and I'm much more bottlenecked by low petroleum (only six fields so far) and having to manually repair walls and ammo up turrets because logistics network still hasn't popped.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
For me it's something like:
  • Early game: Through automating green science. You've set up some smelters and the start of a factory, you probably have defenses set up for biters. Expanding quickly.
  • Mid game: Petrochem, automating blue science, the first few blue science techs in use. Large, mature factory, lots of smelting, and complicated products automated. Rapid expansion, facilitated by construction robots.
  • Late game: Purple science. Working towards rocket silo. Roboports and logistics network are working in earnest. Probably still expanding, but more slowly, since you've already automated most items. If using RSO, train network is really branching out.
  • End game: Rocket silo.

These are vague and ill-define on purpose.

But I agree that 100 smelters mid-game is overkill.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

People play the game vastly different ways, it's hard to give recommendations on something as tenuous as how many smelters you 'should' have at any point in the game, it's more something you expand as the demands of your factory increase. 100 does seem very high for 'mid-game' on default settings though. Maybe if your definition of endgame is launching 20 rockets per minute.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

50 smelters isn't something I would start with. That said, I would definitely plan things out such that I have the room to expand to that, and more. Typically that involves two load balanced input ore belt for each ore (so four total), two rows of each smelter that can be expanded outward, and two load balanced output belts for each type of plate . Coal belts always on the inside, to make for minimum rebelting when I switch to electric furnaces.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

I have the bad habit of upgrading from a handful of hand-fueled, self-contained miner+two furnace setups, right into a giant 256+ stone furnace array that sticks around until I outgrow 4 belts of each ore.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
I'm having a problem. I'm still fairly new to this, and am just now starting solar fields, and accumulators. But when I drop my accumulators, they flash a red no power icon, despite having power, and plenty of it. The hell am I doing wrong?

-e
I tossed a light down just to show it's powered.

Remote User fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 30, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Gonna need to see a picture of your setup to help with that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

The only time I've seen that icon is when the accumulator is connected to a power source that isn't generating power, such as only connected to solar power at night, or an overloaded system that isn't producing enough power to power the factory let alone store extra in the accumulators. If you click on your power poles connected to the accumulators, check if the Production bar is full, or the Consumption bar is - if the Production bar is full, then your power is maxed out and there is no extra for storing.