Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Put bluescreen rounds on your sniper and laugh as their tiny pistol suddenly does turbo damage to giant deathbots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Dr Christmas posted:

So let me see if I have this straight:

Codex
-Immune to haywire protocol, fire, and poison
-Vulnerable to mental attacks, acid, and EMP grenades
-Bonus damage from bluescreen rounds

Gatekeeper
-Immune to haywire protocol and fire
-Vulnerable to mental attacks, acid, and EMP grenades
-Bonus damage from bluescreen rounds

Fully mechanized (MECs, turrets, and Sectopods)
-Immune to fire and poison, mental attacks
-Vulnerable to haywire protocol, acid, EMP grenades
-Bonus damage from bluescreen rounds, combat protocol, and capacitor discharge

Andromedon shell
-Same for MECS, turrets, and Sectopods plus immunity to acid.

I can't recall how the Gatekeeper does with poison.

Edit: Are fully mechanized units immune to flashbangs?

Codexes are immune to acid - mind controlling one yesterday taught me that. I can also confirm that Gatekeepers are vulnerable to poison. Both Codexes and Gatekeepers are vulnerable to flashbangs, and it's a good idea because they can't do any of their awful stuff when disoriented.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Anyone interested in making a DMX voice mod with/for me? I have all the acapellas I need and am ready to slice em up, but I simply don't have 50+ gigs of space to download the SDK.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Digirat posted:

Put bluescreen rounds on your sniper and laugh as their tiny pistol suddenly does turbo damage to giant deathbots.

Bluescreen rounds + Fan Fire = 5x base shot damage +15 or whatever the gently caress.

30-40 damage is a hell of a thing

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man. Someone commented that I should replace the skyranger loading/briefing music. Now putting whole songs in would take up a fuckload more memory and open me up to legal shittery.

But it did give me the idea of replacing it with elevator music.

And maybe this for failed/sad mission ends:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

edit:

:allears:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 30, 2016

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Isn't one of the easy routes to crashville loading a bunch of voice packs? If so, wouldn't loading music packs cause the same thing or is it managed better?

Also I was thinking failed/sad mission ends deserve sadtrombone.wav

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Making the continent bonuses random was one of the best ideas in this game. That way obsessing over the metagame isn't a priority and instead you just go for whatever fate gives you.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Reik posted:

If AP rounds and shredder have some crazy synergy it might be worth keeping 1 person to help deal with andromedon and shield bearers

I don't know if it works for anybody else, but the AWC was kind enough to pop out Shredder for my last sniper, and it interacts quite nicely (I usually use AP for snipers for reliable damage numbers).

The AP ammo ignored the armour, all right - and Shredder ate it anyway. Killzoning freshly activated pods was especially amusing, particularly as he was using the Handsome Jack voicepack.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Was that your shields that just went down?"

My favourite way of dealing with Shield Bearers remains Rangers, though. With Talon Rounds, one shot can and will kill a Shield Bearer. On Legend. With full health. And full armour. With a five point shield up.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 30, 2016

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2cQaWk_7X4

Well, so much for that ironman run.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That was kind of inevitable with the line of guys on that ledge.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's quite a few things in there that I wouldn't call inevitable

That is a solid density of bugs/minute.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Something about eggs and baskets.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bugs aside, you really shouldn't break concealment with your last action.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
From what I can tell, the heavy MEC wasn't visible until AFTER he opened fire, he'd have been fine if that was literally ANYTHING else.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
All bugs aside, and to borrow a phrase, that manoeuvre was at the bottom of the scale that things like the charge of the light brigade are at the top of.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Moogle posted:

All bugs aside, and to borrow a phrase, that manoeuvre was at the bottom of the scale that things like the charge of the light brigade are at the top of.

Yeah, ignore the bugs. That's still engaging a pod without full sight (only 2 enemies in view). That's still overwatching with your entire team as you break concealment (never do this, you can't react). That's still ending your turn on a roof with all your guys stacked in one place (never do this as its too vulnerable to explosives). That's still breaking concealment at anything more than medium range (never do this, you should be breaking concealment as close as possible, with a guaranteed kill that turn)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
On the other hand, I have totally done that move "right" and still had some arsehole mech live long enough to rocket barrage half my squad off their high ground. :allears:

At that point i blew up the objective and peaced out. My only "failure" on my first campaign. :geno:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The problem is though, high ground is just not that strong. It gives you an aim bonus, that's it. You're vulnerable to explosives. You're generally in low cover. You're much more exposed because its easy to get line of sight on the top of the building.

You should only take and stay on high ground if you're confident you can kill everything in sight that turn, or your high ground soldiers are far enough away, like with sharpshooters. Otherwise, stay low, get high cover, blow up theirs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

As soon as the video started I knew what was going to happen. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Maluco Marinero posted:

The problem is though, high ground is just not that strong. It gives you an aim bonus, that's it. You're vulnerable to explosives. You're generally in low cover. You're much more exposed because its easy to get line of sight on the top of the building.

You should only take and stay on high ground if you're confident you can kill everything in sight that turn, or your high ground soldiers are far enough away, like with sharpshooters. Otherwise, stay low, get high cover, blow up theirs.

I know that, knew that even! but over-confidence can be a surprisingly swift and unexpected killer when its not being slow and insidious. :ssh:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

What is wrong with all your units???

I love the ragdoll MEC Overwatch

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
this bug where the AI only moves and takes no action is super cool

I seem to remember there being some fix where you remove some mod references in a Config file somewhere

someone help???

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Oh man, you gotta start that off with a grenade yourself.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Is it me or is the first retaliation mission always a crapshoot? Faceless always seem to decide to suddenly say hi and kill off one of my troopers the turn it spawns with overwatch as a precaution always missing. Plus the fact that sometimes you won't have 5 squad up ready seems like you're only really in control once you get the first retaliation over with.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It's not easy but don't feel like you have to win it. All it does is lower your income, not as bad as losing all of your developing soldiers.

Overwatch is a tricky proposition for faceless. You'll need a lot of it to be able to kill one before it reaches you, I prefer to keep civs at arm's length at all times.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I treat civilians like new terrain so i just don't reveal/save them on yellow moves or with the final move of a turn. It works and i've never had trouble with the faceless as a result

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Faceless only do 3-4 damage. That means they can't OHKO you unless you are near something explosive like a car. What they do have is a giant pool of HP - so I'd say that unless you have significant firepower or a bladestorm ranger, it is generally not worth it to overwatch in anticipation of a faceless reveal.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Ok I just looked it up and the crit chance is only 15%. Thought it was higher since no joke I've lost one person per swipe three 1st retaliation missions in a row.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
They can't oneshot you... usually.

15 crit :negative:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've only had trouble with Faceless twice. The one time I had trouble with Faceless was in a retaliation on Commander. All my high level units were out wounded due to a stray MEC missile (gently caress mec missiles), so I had squaddies and two corporals, one of which was a rescued medic I had to leave behind to save the campaign. It was the first retaliation with chryssalids. I was down to one civilian left to save in order to not lose, and two were in sight. I send the corporal gunslinger to the closest. Oh gently caress a faceless! He swipes and somehow blows up the floor (they were on the second level), nearly killing the gunslinger. Through sheer luck, the medic saves the gunslinger, and the squaddie squad gets out alive, saving the day. Watching the gunslinger fall into fire was horrifying though.

The second time was when I parked a bunch of guys next to what I thought was a corpse, though I thought it was weird I couldn't step on that tile. Oh it's a living civilian! Oh. Oh wait. No wait stop gently caress

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

RBA Starblade posted:

I've only had trouble with Faceless twice. The one time I had trouble with Faceless was in a retaliation on Commander. All my high level units were out wounded due to a stray MEC missile (gently caress mec missiles), so I had squaddies and two corporals, one of which was a rescued medic I had to leave behind to save the campaign. It was the first retaliation with chryssalids. I was down to one civilian left to save in order to not lose, and two were in sight. I send the corporal gunslinger to the closest. Oh gently caress a faceless! He swipes and somehow blows up the floor (they were on the second level), nearly killing the gunslinger. Through sheer luck, the medic saves the gunslinger, and the squaddie squad gets out alive, saving the day. Watching the gunslinger fall into fire was horrifying though.

The second time was when I parked a bunch of guys next to what I thought was a corpse, though I thought it was weird I couldn't step on that tile. Oh it's a living civilian! Oh. Oh wait. No wait stop gently caress

I've seen a faceless on the ground swipe up and miss the target but take out the floor beneath them. The high ground is a cruel mistress at times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Reason #5001 not to take cover using cars: I have had a faceless miss a swipe, but blow up the car the squadmate was using for cover- which in turn took out the tree that was on the other side of the cover, setting up a perfect angle for the advent dude across the way to kill them in one shot thanks to the reduced health.

edit:

GUESS WHO JUST LEARNED PANICKED/MIND CONTROLLED SOLDIERS CAN THROW GRENADES AT THEIR OWN TEAMMATES

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 30, 2016

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Moogle posted:

I don't know if it works for anybody else, but the AWC was kind enough to pop out Shredder for my last sniper, and it interacts quite nicely (I usually use AP for snipers for reliable damage numbers).

The AP ammo ignored the armour, all right - and Shredder ate it anyway. Killzoning freshly activated pods was especially amusing, particularly as he was using the Handsome Jack voicepack.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Was that your shields that just went down?"

My favourite way of dealing with Shield Bearers remains Rangers, though. With Talon Rounds, one shot can and will kill a Shield Bearer. On Legend. With full health. And full armour. With a five point shield up.

I've got two shredder Sharpshooters this campaign so far :getin:

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

CJacobs posted:

GUESS WHO JUST LEARNED PANICKED/MIND CONTROLLED SOLDIERS CAN THROW GRENADES AT THEIR OWN TEAMMATES

This is a dumb thing to happen on panic. Mind control they absolutely should though (it's what I'd do)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I mainly hate Faceless because a single swipe is probably going to put 2 or 3 dudes in medbay come mission end :argh:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Is it me or is the first retaliation mission always a crapshoot? Faceless always seem to decide to suddenly say hi and kill off one of my troopers the turn it spawns with overwatch as a precaution always missing. Plus the fact that sometimes you won't have 5 squad up ready seems like you're only really in control once you get the first retaliation over with.

I've come to expect that at the very least one soldier will be wounded on the 1st retaliation mission of a campaign. Its pretty hosed up that they can reveal, charge and attack and there is literally nothing you can do about it. You might be able to kill it if all four xcoms are on overwatch but when its maybe 4 corporals, good luck with that. I'm on my third try at an L/I campaign, flawlessed the first three missions and then the retaliation put two guys in the hospital for a geological epoch, thanks to faceless.

Also, gently caress early game supply raids. Holy poo poo, they are so hard for some goddamned reason. The mechs and stunnies probably have something to do with that. I'll tell you what, though, the Bleedout mod makes for some awesome action movie moments. I never once saw a soldier go to bleedout in my Commander campaigns because they either just die in the early game or they tank the handful of shots that come their way in the late game. This time around, having bleedout be a thing changes a bad turn from "gently caress, that guy died" to "gently caress, I gotta save that guy!" and a mad dash to try to evac them while under fire. Even if its an overall buff, its really worth it just for the way it can change the dynamic of a situation into a tense struggle for survival. It was a really cool feeling to pull off getting my guy onto the skyranger on the last possible turn and then barely completing the mission with two men down. Sure, now everyone's wounded until the heat death of the universe but they're all alive dammit!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I hate Stun Lancers so much and I yearn only for their death

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

many johnnys posted:

This is a dumb thing to happen on panic. Mind control they absolutely should though (it's what I'd do)

It is really way too punishing for panic, which is already often a sign of a snowball loss happening. Due to panic letting this happen, the very first shot an enemy ever took left me with 1 dead and 2 at minimum health. Panic is enough of a middle finger without being a method for the RNG to flat out make you lose the game because the weakest enemy in the game was allowed to fire a single time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

many johnnys posted:

An ethereal mind controlled my mec last campaign. Because I threw ghost grenades at everyone else, it told the mec to just shoot itself in the foot with collateral damage. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Stun Lancers seem pretty out of step with the rest of the difficulty curve. Stun Lancers can run from farther than your guys can see, dodge everything for half damage, and instantly KO a dude for the rest of the mission no matter how high his health is. That's PRETTY bananas.