Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Most mechanism machines operate on a scale where putting 8 speed upgrades yields an 10x speed increase (each one increases speed by 1/3) while power consumption increases disproportionally. Others (electrolyzer, ore washer, etc) double in speed and power consumption with every upgrade. 2x, 4x, 8x, etc. it makes not really weird to sync up their production speeds sometimes.

E: fixed some math.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

khy posted:

There used to be, a while ago, a good installation guide to get HD textures + custom shaders and poo poo installed. I liked it, but I can't find it anymore. I do remember it had fog for rainstorms, the ground would become slick, trees would sway (And sway harder during a storm), overhauled lighting, etc.

Is there a good guide for that currently available? The OP is somewhat lacking in graphics overhaul stuff.

I just follow the directions in the Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders (which uses Shaders Mod (updated by karyonix) thread) (for Minecraft 1.8.9 the Shaders Mod is included in OptiFine), get a resource pack that supports shaders, such as Chroma Hills and then toss a more fully fleshed Texture Pack on top, such as Soartex to make the non-vanilla items prettier, but doesn't support shaders (e.g. so no waving trees from Forestry ;)).

I ended up using Sildur's shaders as Sonic's would never load for me.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Black Pants posted:

Speaking of, Ars Magica 2 seems to have a bad reputation with people for reasons I am not privy to. Just a lot of people really glad it's not included in certain packs I've seen. Does anyone happen to know why that is?

Also, Twilight Forest is a crazy self-contained adventure mod that is about the only one-stop solution to what you want, and Blightfall is an interesting challenge pack. But uh.. way too much for someone who hasn't played modded Minecraft before, as is the case with most others of its ilk.

Also Factorio is an imitation of what Minecraft has been for years, not the other way around. :colbert:
Ars Magica was extremely buggy in the past, can still be buggy sometimes now (I think some of the custom mobs don't play nice with certain other mods or kcauldron or something like that), and at one point development was stopped on it. It may still be stopped.

It's a good and fun mod and I have nothing against it. It has a bad rep with some sperglords. I was playing on some public modded server with 30+ people on that had ars magica 2 and it never really caused issues. IC2, of all things, caused more issues with chunk corruption.

Note it may actually be a dead mod that will cease to exist after this patch.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Scoss posted:

I haven't played Minecraft nearly since it came out and the whole mod scene for the game is bewildering and intimidating.

One of the big things I always wished the game had was more rewarding exploration and character progression, more like a traditional RPG. I suppose my ideal Minecraft mod would be something that adds class or skill based RPG mechanics to the game and maybe fleshes out the bestiary a bit to support that kind of vertical progression or spice up the loot.

Are there any particular mods I should look at? The game is so goddamn big at this point I figure there must have been someone that made a good RPG mod at this point. I've poked around some of the mod sites but most of the game's mods seem to be dedicated to turning it into factorio, and the RPG ones I did find seemed a little questionable.

• Ars Magica adds a "leveling system" to magic and you get to craft your own custom spells.
  • My brother does Zelda Sword Skills which adds some RPG-like combat skills.
  • Twilight Forest adds more tiered mobs with escalating rewards.
  • I've never played it, but there's a Divine RPG mod that seems to do exactly what you're asking for.
  • A whole category over at CurseForge for Adventure RPG mods for Minecraft. :)

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Black Pants posted:

Speaking of, Ars Magica 2 seems to have a bad reputation with people for reasons I am not privy to. Just a lot of people really glad it's not included in certain packs I've seen. Does anyone happen to know why that is?

Also, Twilight Forest is a crazy self-contained adventure mod that is about the only one-stop solution to what you want, and Blightfall is an interesting challenge pack. But uh.. way too much for someone who hasn't played modded Minecraft before, as is the case with most others of its ilk.

Also Factorio is an imitation of what Minecraft has been for years, not the other way around. :colbert:

Ars Magica is still being worked on as of February this year and even had a new release in February. For the most part it had a few serious bugs (e.g. Dispel enchant on armour would cause you to crash whenever you log in or Disarm would cause a CTD whenever cast on a player), but most of those are fixed.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, AM2 has some bugs but it's kind of fun. My far bigger problem with it is how once you reach level 30 or so you have to make spells solely designed for grinding XP and just spam them whenever you can if you ever want to level up. And there's no config file to change the level curve (or wasn't at the time).
Magic mods are definitely the way to go if you want a less-muddied adventure feeling, Twilight Forest and Thaumcraft 5 are both a load of fun. TC5 is the best time to get in on the mod because it removes a LOT of the tedium and garbage by streamlining a number of its included systems, from the way mana works and how you store magical essence to the way you make arcane discoveries.

ImpactVector posted:

Veins could have a chance to spawn gravel ore on the surface in one or more of the ore types that the vein contains. Then at least you wouldn't have to wander around caves or branch mine forever.
This would be pretty nice, actually. At least then you could just explore the surface, something so few mods give a reason to do, instead of hoping you're mining/spelunking at the right height. "A chance to spawn" is dangerous wording, though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

yeah, new horizons or gregtech or whatever should rip off the prospecting mechanic from terrafirmacraft wholesale, as it accomplishes basically the same thing (lots of ore in a chunk of solid rock without the benefit of caves) while being possible to actually prospect and locate without x-ray or blind luck

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

'gregtech' and 'being easier to use' are at odds here so chances are that's not going to happen

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

'gregtech' and 'being easier to use' are at odds here so chances are that's not going to happen
TFC prospecting is fair enough for GT. You still miss quite a bit and have to do some guess work and hunting around. I remember the prospecting picks also break or something. It was a total pain in the rear end to find a vein in TFC the first time, but once you find it it's amazing because there's so much ore. Just loads of it.

ProjectE style prospecting is not because divining rods are busted and awesome.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
TFC prospecting is notable in that not all ores show up on the surface as nuggets, so eventually you have to explore the world to find the right stone type at the surface and wander around slamming your prospecting pick on the ground. That exploration can take a long-rear end time, as some stone types are more common than others and stone layer areas are as big as biomes.

Still better than gregtech though, because while you're exploring up on the surface you're finding other stone types and nuggets for other ores, so you're gaining knowledge about other potential mining opportunities.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I need 2 pride shards for my wand. These only drop from boss mobs. The only boss mob i know of is the wither and slime king.

I doubt i can kill the wither atm and ive no idea how to find a slime king.

Any ideas?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Do Twilight Forest bosses count? Naga didn't drop one for me I don't think but I wasn't really paying attention (their AI broke when it ran into a rubber tree and couldn't break the blocks).

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

I need 2 pride shards for my wand. These only drop from boss mobs. The only boss mob i know of is the wither and slime king.

I doubt i can kill the wither atm and ive no idea how to find a slime king.

Any ideas?

Make a cage for the wither consisting of obsidian or something, then make a door big enough for you to come in and out of easily. then walk in and wail on the wither with a melee weapon. Remember, the cage insides needs to be a minimum of 5x5x5, for those that can't count, the external size of the cage should be 7x7x7.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

Make a cage for the wither consisting of obsidian or something, then make a door big enough for you to come in and out of easily. then walk in and wail on the wither with a melee weapon. Remember, the cage insides needs to be a minimum of 5x5x5, for those that can't count, the external size of the cage should be 7x7x7.

The Wither can break obsidian easily. There are specific wither-proof blocks that some mods introduce.

Personally I just summon the wither deep underground at the end of a 2x1 tunnel. It takes a while to chew through stone and can't fly away so it's easy to just melee down.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

McFrugal posted:

The Wither can break obsidian easily. There are specific wither-proof blocks that some mods introduce.

Personally I just summon the wither deep underground at the end of a 2x1 tunnel. It takes a while to chew through stone and can't fly away so it's easy to just melee down.

Visit Nether. Dig to ceiling. Make piston. Build wither on piston, extend piston into bedrock ceiling. Step away until explosion, then walk back and punch helpless wither to death. Rinse, repeat.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There's a new alternate dimension mod called the Betweenlands, focused on marshy swampy terrain. Cool alright I can be down with tha-

Redstone, Flint and Steel, Food and Torches don't work in the dimension, you have to use their special different but the same thing and their crafting needs to use infusers and abstract named resources and ores

I'm fairly sure this isn't made by the Skylands guys, so how come they are loving it up exactly the same

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

McFrugal posted:

Bedrockium, works wonders which I'm pretty sure anything Gregtech does not have. On an old Progress server someone actually made an automated Wither-harvester with the stuff. A setup to automatically make the Wither, which would then drop it into a Bedrockium containment vessel (apparently the Wither cannot actually fly until it's touched ground once, so if the WIther is built mid-air...), close trapdoor (not sure how he made THAT wither proof) and then used a Tinkers Construct scythe (they have a two-block attack range) in an autonomous activator to kill the Wither through the bedrockium wall. Not sure how he collected the star though. But he had a system to basically automatically power his base via netherstar generators that worked for nearly a week before something went wrong and the Wither escaped.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Sage Grimm posted:

Do Twilight Forest bosses count? Naga didn't drop one for me I don't think but I wasn't really paying attention (their AI broke when it ran into a rubber tree and couldn't break the blocks).

If it's the Forbidden Magic Pride Shards, it has to be a boss in the Nether - so basically just the Wither, unless another mod adds a boss you can spawn there.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Serifina posted:

If it's the Forbidden Magic Pride Shards, it has to be a boss in the Nether - so basically just the Wither, unless another mod adds a boss you can spawn there.

OMG you're kidding right ><

I just did the drop bucket of slime 300+ times till you get a king slime to spawn, then safari net him.

BUT, does that mean if i set up my auto spawner in the nether the king slime will drop the shards?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Blind Duke posted:

There's a new alternate dimension mod called the Betweenlands, focused on marshy swampy terrain. Cool alright I can be down with tha-

Redstone, Flint and Steel, Food and Torches don't work in the dimension, you have to use their special different but the same thing and their crafting needs to use infusers and abstract named resources and ores

I'm fairly sure this isn't made by the Skylands guys, so how come they are loving it up exactly the same

i was with you on this for the first sentence and literally all i can do is :psyduck: after reading the rest

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Blind Duke posted:

Can you place pumpkins and glowstone blocks?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-BeNshalPY

if nothing else it looks good

e: initial impressions aside after checking the thread for it and looking at all the pictures and the like it honestly looks pretty cool and putting up with a goofy crafting system specifically for it is pretty alright in comparison, because honestly poo poo like new horizons is rock bottom and things can only be uphill from there

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 29, 2016

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Johnny Joestar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-BeNshalPY

if nothing else it looks good

e: initial impressions aside after checking the thread for it and looking at all the pictures and the like it honestly looks pretty cool and putting up with a goofy crafting system specifically for it is pretty alright in comparison, because honestly poo poo like new horizons is rock bottom and things can only be uphill from there

Those are some very, very cool mobs.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Steelion posted:

Most mechanism machines operate on a scale where putting 8 speed upgrades yields an 10x speed increase (each one increases speed by 1/3) while power consumption increases disproportionally. Others (electrolyzer, ore washer, etc) double in speed and power consumption with every upgrade. 2x, 4x, 8x, etc. it makes not really weird to sync up their production speeds sometimes.

E: fixed some math.

thats why you balance the speed with energy upgrades they reduce it back down. I think an elite factory with full upgrades speed and energy only uses 666RF/t

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Bluemillion posted:

Those are some very, very cool mobs.

yeah. now i just want it to be put up on technic or something so it'd be easy to be on a server for it.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Thaumcraft 5 questions: I started an infusion last night, and almost immediately a lightning bolt shot out of the matrix and destroyed(?) one of my reagents. Is there anything I can do to prevent that from happening, or is it just an instability thing? Also, is there any way to avoid the instability from having an odd number of reagents? The recipe for the runic shielding ring needs five items, and I obviously can't give all of them a partner on the other side of the setup.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Instability, yeah. And no, odd numbered infusions are inherently more unstable. Mind you, you can add enough stability items (candles, skulls are the typical ones) within its volume to completely negate instability events from occurring.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
The placement of the items never caused instability in TC4. What do you have stabilising your infusion altar, and what was the difficulty of the infusion?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

SugarAddict posted:

Incorrect, I've made reinforced obsidian wither cages before and they only need to be 3x3 by 4 tall interior dimensions. Build the wither on the bottom middle of the cage. On a server that had mob griefing off I once built an automated thing using block placers, still 3x3x4 but with the block placers in the back wall.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Black Pants posted:

The placement of the items never caused instability in TC4. What do you have stabilising your infusion altar, and what was the difficulty of the infusion?

It's TC5, and I was making a ring of runic shielding. Low instability, with eight pedestals (if that matters) and twelve candles.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

Yes it did -- if you had items not on opposing pillars, it screwed with your stability. The infusion altar is not significantly changed in TC5, other than the addition of eldritch pylons and augments to speed it up or make it cost less resources.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Goon Danton posted:

It's TC5, and I was making a ring of runic shielding. Low instability, with eight pedestals (if that matters) and twelve candles.

Spam more candles. Build a sub-floor 9x9 3 blocks below the altar. Place 81 candles 2 blocks below the alter. Floor below altar make all the same block. never worry about instability again.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Can somebody take a screenshot of a clean, but sophisticated AE2 setup? I'd like to get something for a BFSR guide on using controllers and setting up more intricate networks. I gave all the basics, so I just want a "...and then you can do this!" at the end of it. Don't forget to hit F2 first to close down the HUD!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

in TC5 mass production of candles is so easy thanks to the air transfer essentia system so there's no reason to not carpet your infusion altar's surroundings with them

just make sure to keep them symmetric

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Can somebody take a screenshot of a clean, but sophisticated AE2 setup? I'd like to get something for a BFSR guide on using controllers and setting up more intricate networks. I gave all the basics, so I just want a "...and then you can do this!" at the end of it. Don't forget to hit F2 first to close down the HUD!

Clean? are you kidding. AE2 is meant to be spaghetti!

Though i think on the Diststerpiece server (if my base is still there) i have an ordered AE2 setup for my thaumcraft furnaces. Its lines of cable and cable anchors. The top part, with the inscribers and controllers and crafting stuff is a nightmare still.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

Clean? are you kidding. AE2 is meant to be spaghetti!

Large, clean setups can look pretty drat cool. The autocrafting setups start to look almost organic, and the crafting processing array and controller look very intimidating in large sizes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Something like this then?

I built this under Dome Beta from Blightfall. I should still have the save if you want further pictures and a less pretty auto-craft setup.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

is there a good modpack on technic that has thaumcraft 5 and the 'new' botania and whatever else? maybe even psi?

part of me kind of hopes that something has the betweenlands already included, but i'm not super confident.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Gregtech new horizons trip report, in case anyone cares.
"Realistic World Gen" claims to support Thaumcraft biomes, but in fact it doesn't loving work no matter how much you tweak the biome weights and re-generate the world and fly around in creative mode, crying. Why did I pick it??? I finally gave up again and cheated in the stupid drat Vishrooms I was looking for.

I hate Minecraft and I hate myself, good night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Should an 11x11 reactor be able to handle tier 3 mek ore production? (the 4x ore) ?

As soon as i put a stack of ore in the chemical induction chamber im negative 6mill rf (at least thats how im reading the cable. Ultimate universal cable tells me im 0/6000000+ and rising when active. The once production stops that last number falls. Once it no longer shows me a value my reactor internal starts to replenish.)

My reactor is doing 4.84 KiRF a tick at max and i have some insignificant generators that kick back in once im in the negative. (like 960rf a tick between them all).

Do i need to build a turbine? (quest is telling me to do so)

Should i build a 2nd reactor and turbine? As this reactor is gelid/ender cooled

Ive never built a turbine before.

(im trying to get the 900 dark steel for my wither cage :/ and i cant just throw stacks in as power is an issue now)