Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

leather fedora posted:

I think you should do whatever seems appealing to you, no matter how kitschy or tourist trappy it appears. Whether or not an experience you get when touring is authentic or respectable or whatever doesn't matter so long as you honestly enjoy it.

Yes, but expect people to laugh at you or think that you're a weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yes, but expect people to laugh at you or think that you're a weirdo.

wgaf

do what you want. if someone says "that's touristy and dumb and you paid a ridiculous amount, you idiot!" you can say something like "i know it's touristy but i wanted to try it and enjoy it." if the question was "i really want the most authentic japanese working class experience possible, steer me away from all the tourist traps", then yes, don't go to the robot restaurant. but if you think "wow i'm in japan, that's cool and different, and it's a restaurant that is interesting with robots" and then you went and you had fun, who cares if people laugh at you. its immaterial.

i've never been but my old roommate went in 2014 and had a freakin' blast, he loved it. and i'm happy for him, because he was happy.

sometimes it really is as simple as that.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
weirdos, in MY japan?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Robot cafe and golden gai are at the top of my Tokyo experience wish list if I ever visit...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Here's the golden gai experience from the half dozen or so times I've been there. Too full, too full, too full...off to the hub then.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm sorry of offending you by going to the tourist trap.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Enjoy those goddamn robots. Wish I could go. 'Tourist traps' in Japan are still pretty great IMO.. Only 2 more weeks until my week in Kyoto seeing ALL of the tourist traps.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I've been to kansai 3 times and have never been to Kyoto except the one time I stopped to get a snack. :dukedog:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japanese people love tourist traps and generic souvenirs so actually everything ever is very authentic :japan:

There is an izakaya somewhere in Tokyo that does Awa Odori dance alongs. I tend to just do big city things which usually means eating Thai and Vietnamese food.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the biggest tourist trap called hakone. My girlfriend is right, it's like the Bali of Japan. Sure there are glimmers of nice things but everything is priced out.

I have been to my fair share of ryokans and god this is the only place where miso soup is made out of that crappy supermarket powdered form. But hey it's relatively cheap 50k for 2 nights and 2 meals for 2 people.

I would have gotten a much nicer place in Nikko but then I get to hike around some mountains and ride cable cars.

At least the robot restaurant is weird. This is place is just plain viscous on boring middle class people all over the world.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Don't do things you think look fun and enjoyable, instead just drink Strong and drunkpost in LINE

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
My wife and I are in roppongi right now and will be going to the robot restaurant before we leave because it looks rediculous and awesome #noshame

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
gently caress that noise, robots booze and scantily clad women sounds like a drat good time.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Robot restaurant don't come cheap at all. For that price I rather enjoy drinks at a Japanese cocktail bar. Or eat at an actual restaurant.

Memorable experience i guess.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'm probably way overthinking this but the Robot Restaurant is a pretty interesting case study as far I'm concerned. The management must have really done their homework. They latched directly onto the "crazy Japan" aspect that so many Western tourists who come to Tokyo actively seek out, had extensive English-language media coverage when they opened, and I suppose the website/staff has at least passable English. Or maybe they use Engrish on purpose. I've never been so no idea. But presumably they deliver enough zaniness that people aren't disappointed when they walk out of there.

I think a lot of the Tokyo resident gaijins look down on that kind of thing because it's just too... manufactured? At least when I think about crazy things in Japan it's typically a person (random drunk salaryman), a situation (unsolicited umm propositions from lonely girls/women), an event (nomihodai at... a theme park), or something that's slightly more non-intentionally crazy. Not a restaurant in Shinjuku that apparently spent $100mio specifically to make their place crazy.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

I'm in the biggest tourist trap called hakone. My girlfriend is right, it's like the Bali of Japan. Sure there are glimmers of nice things but everything is priced out.

I have been to my fair share of ryokans and god this is the only place where miso soup is made out of that crappy supermarket powdered form. But hey it's relatively cheap 50k for 2 nights and 2 meals for 2 people.

I would have gotten a much nicer place in Nikko but then I get to hike around some mountains and ride cable cars.

At least the robot restaurant is weird. This is place is just plain viscous on boring middle class people all over the world.

drat what happened to Hakone?

It was great like 12+ years ago when I went there.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

zmcnulty posted:

I'm probably way overthinking this but the Robot Restaurant is a pretty interesting case study as far I'm concerned. The management must have really done their homework. They latched directly onto the "crazy Japan" aspect that so many Western tourists who come to Tokyo actively seek out, had extensive English-language media coverage when they opened, and I suppose the website/staff has at least passable English. Or maybe they use Engrish on purpose. I've never been so no idea. But presumably they deliver enough zaniness that people aren't disappointed when they walk out of there.

I think a lot of the Tokyo resident gaijins look down on that kind of thing because it's just too... manufactured? At least when I think about crazy things in Japan it's typically a person (random drunk salaryman), a situation (unsolicited umm propositions from lonely girls/women), an event (nomihodai at... a theme park), or something that's slightly more non-intentionally crazy. Not a restaurant in Shinjuku that apparently spent $100mio specifically to make their place crazy.

Lol at foreigners living in one of the biggest, most modern metropolitan areas in the world trying to shame people for not having an "authentic Japanese experience" when visiting.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Obviously the most authentic experience is to pour near scalding water onto your head and squirt cold water up your butt every morning

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our bidet is heated

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Lol if you claim to want an authentic Japan experience and don't even confine yourself to a tiny compound in Nagasaki bay in accordance with the shogun's decrees

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Lol at foreigners living in one of the biggest, most modern metropolitan areas in the world trying to shame people for not having an "authentic Japanese experience" when visiting.

I don't think it is about that, just more of Japan being wacky enough as is. You don't need a tourist trap that is over the top wacky to prove that to you. It is like going to Bubba Gump shrimp in NYC. Yeah, you may not have a Bubba Gump shrimp where you are from, but do you really need to go to Bubba Gump shrimp when there is so much more to choose from?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Go enjoy whatever Japan has to offer without regard to whatever the hell "authentic" is even supposed to mean. Your stupid gaijin friends back home will likely believe everything you did was ultra authentic no matter what you tell them.

But next time I come to Japan I'll make sure not to bring my foreign devil bicycle with me and be sure to only ride a proper made-in-Japan mama-chari up Mt Fuji.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I watched Forrest Gump with my girlfriend on Netflix and turned on Japanese dub for it, it was so depressing. I was trying to explain the way Forrest talks and how it's such a big part of his character but absolutely none of that came through because the Japanese voice actor was just saying the lines like a normal person would apparently.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't care about authenticity but the robot restaurant just seems so stupid. You know those ads in inflight magazines for random singing and dancing shows at your arrival destination aimed at white middle class people who don't know how to have an actual good time in another country? That's what the robot restaurant is.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't be racist against white people. It's totally their fault that they're devoid of anything that resembles culture.

*only eats at McDonalds*

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

zmcnulty posted:

It would be an interesting case study in pricing too. 3,000JPY when it first opened almost 4 years ago, 8,000JPY now and apparently still packing people in every night. There are various discounts/coupons easily obtainable but the increase is still kind of extreme.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Eight thousand loving yen?

Hell I rather spend that amount of money for a nice sushi lunch

Aethersphere
Mar 21, 2009

you see me rollin up pops you step aside
Anybody ever been to Video Game Bar Space Station in Osaka? Any good? I've heard some mixed reviews. We're leaving for Osaka in a week or so, trying to figure out what all to do there.

Also: Spa World. Gross? Fun? Both?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Tequila Sunrise posted:

You use airquotes as though it's something I said. Nowhere in that post did I use the word authentic. If people want to go to the Robot Restaurant go for it, I even tried to take my family when they visited a couple years ago, but it was full. I'd put it in the same category as Gonpachi, in terms of authenticity (which was my second choice, also full). Not everyone is after some hyper local experience when they travel, given the language barrier they often want something that's close enough yet still relatively accessible for foreigners. No shame in that.

My point was just that the place seems pretty... blatant. Like Osaka Castle blatant.

Spa World is pretty awesome though.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 30, 2016

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

I don't care about authenticity but the robot restaurant just seems so stupid. You know those ads in inflight magazines for random singing and dancing shows at your arrival destination aimed at white middle class people who don't know how to have an actual good time in another country? That's what the robot restaurant is.

Nail on the head.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

caberham posted:

Eight thousand loving yen?

Hell I rather spend that amount of money for a nice sushi lunch

Stop being a poor and do both.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How many Strong Zeroes are in ¥8000?

I typed 1 USD to Chuhai in Google and it didn't recognize it. Please advise.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Approximately 2 cases of tallboys from Amazon delivered to your door.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Aredna posted:

Approximately 2 cases of tallboys from Amazon delivered to your door.

What an incredible country.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I want to get a video of the Tohoku Shinkansen - Hayabusa / Super Komachi - from a distance so outside a station that's going top speed or at least close to it. Does anyone have any suggestions on spots I could check out between Tokyo <-> Morioka Station? I love trains so no distance or time spent is too much.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 30, 2016

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
If you want something special do some research and see if you can find out when they'll do a maglev test run in Yamanashi-ken again. I hear they run them quite a bit and I'm sure at the right place you could get a good view. Most aren't publicized though so I'm not real sure where to begin researching it.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

http://www.linear-museum.pref.yamanashi.jp

Has a calendar when they run, in American too

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Oh wow - they have a lot more set up now than I realized for it. I just knew they ran them throughout the day from people that lived in the valley and heard them sometimes.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Whole lotta people looking at trees at Yoyogi Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Caught a whiff of someone smoking weed in yoyogi the other day. I was with my wifes friends, who are mostly goody two shoes girls. It was funny how most of them instantly recognized the smell. I think they all secretly smoked it once.