Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

Probably no time soon. The Rust Belt economy forces us to work for slave labor wages. Beer is a luxury of the elite.
(I vote everyone comes to Jamestown and we sperg up the Southern Tier brewery)

Man, that sounds like a good time. Kind of far for a lot of people, though. How about Hamburg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

KillHour posted:

Man, that sounds like a good time. Kind of far for a lot of people, though. How about Hamburg?

*shrug*. I just threw that out there because I'm self-serving and lazy. Hamburg is probably a much more central option for area goons.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

crunk dork posted:

So are VRFs like a VLAN's big brother where they have unique routing tables and are used to isolate routing information? Reading some ASR configs from someone higher up than me and trying to understand what's going on with them.

Pretty much.

They're a routing abstraction layer, you can turn a big router into 20 little routers if you want, They take a little more configuration thought, you have to have forwarders defined per VRF

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Also, when are all the WNY computer goons getting together for a beer? There's a lot of us.
Who else is from WNY?

Nerdrock posted:

(I vote everyone comes to Jamestown and we sperg up the Southern Tier brewery)
Jamestown is a haul from Rochester but I'd gladly schlep down there during Pumking season to give a high five to the glorious bastards who make the only pumpkin beer I truly enjoy.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Nerdrock posted:

*shrug*. I just threw that out there because I'm self-serving and lazy. Hamburg is probably a much more central option for area goons.

There must be Hamburgs all over the place because there's one in Pennsylvania* and that was kind of confusing for a bit.

*it's a lovely town that grew up around a Cabela's so that's all it has going for it

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

KillHour posted:

Supporting argument: cover letters suck and I hate writing them. I already spent the last hour customizing my resume so it hits all your special snowflake requirements to get through HR.

Where was that wall of text that had a bunch of MBA-words mashed together?

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Come to Albany and hang with the capital region goons. :q:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

gooby pls posted:

Come to Albany and hang with the capital region goons. :q:
I grew up in the 518 (Ichabod Crane district :laffo:) and miss the Hudson Valley area. Albany is pretty dry though unless you work for the state. Do you work for the state?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I lived in Syracuse, but that place is absolutely devoid of basically everything, let alone jobs. Can't say I miss it at all.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

When I signed up for Myspace a decade ago, I put my zip code in as 12345, so it said I was from Schenectady. That's my upstate NY story, thanks for reading.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

When I signed up for Myspace a decade ago, I put my zip code in as 12345, so it said I was from Schenectady. That's my upstate NY story, thanks for reading.
Skank-ectady.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You should all come to NYC and hang since it's the only place worth a drat in this enormous state.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Aunt Beth posted:

I grew up in the 518 (Ichabod Crane district :laffo:) and miss the Hudson Valley area. Albany is pretty dry though unless you work for the state. Do you work for the state?

Network engineer for a medium size-ish health care organization. Things have definitely picked up since nanoscale opened in Albany and global foundries in Malta. Troy even has a bit of start up vibe going lately with Apprenda, GreyCastle, and a few other small businesses. Plenty of local VARs and MSPs as well. The hipster influx into Troy means lots of great craft breweries along with bespoke artisanal vegan baking.

I think Western NY is still out pacing the capital region economically, but Albany isn't all terrible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

You should all come to NYC and hang since it's the only place worth a drat in this enormous state.

This is a lie. But I'm going to be down there next week either way.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

gooby pls posted:

Network engineer for a medium size-ish health care organization.
A certain physicians health plan or the most valuable sort?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, I got to give my AD presentation 3 days early, because A.) "We were hit by a Windows 10 Attack" and B.) "Turtle was giving orders to people way above his pay grade during an organized attack" So that was Terrifying. Especially considering I was just playing Halo: Online on my laptop like, 5 minutes before anyone tells me. I'm sitting in a conference room that I've turned into my Office, because no-one wants to clean up the left over glass from one of the 4 tables that broke in there, and my Boss comes in and basically orders me to clean myself up because we have an important meeting to go to. I wet my hair comb it, and throw on some poo poo from my bag and I guess I look presentable, but I don't have my suit or anything. I keep the gloves in my back pocket though, that's just to feel right.

Anyways, I walk into the Board Meeting room, which is just a conference room without broken tables, and they all look at me like I'm supposed to say something. I look at my boss, and he's like nudging me so instead of going off my script, I just have to flat out say, "We got attacked yesterday, and the only reason it didn't completely destroy this company from the inside out is because the hacker was dumb as hell." My boss is looking at me like I'm crazy, so I keep going, and lay out why we need internet security, why we need an active domain, how easy our entire system could be brought down by employees, and then showed them key loggers and poo poo on amazon. It took like an hour to go through everything in it's entirety, and they eventually let me grab my laptop to show them the powerpoint with costs and poo poo laid out.

I might have been a bit more alarmist, but I felt like I had to be, and pointing out all of the extremely easy ways I could cost us millions, up to and including that bounty for counterfeited windows, they seemed to really come my way. They made me an offer for 20k a year ontop of my job duties, and I flat out refused and told them most IT professionals make close to 6 figures, and even a Junior System Administrator made 64k. They didn't really like that, and I pointed out they could always hire a contractor that would charge them close to a million a year, do half the work, and maintain no actual liability. They offered 31k in pay, full healthcare, vision, dental, a 401k that matches up to 20%, and a 1k raise for every COMPTIA Cert I have / get and 2k for every Cert I get on this list. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/windows-certification.aspx

I told them they had to pay for my Certs at that point, and I had to seriously talk it over with my girlfriend to work for so little.

Then I uh... Went back to work, turned off the facebook firewall and played halo for 5 hours.

Oh my god, what the gently caress am I thinking?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Congratulations, you're growing a spine.

Also stop playing games at work. Since you apparently have time to spare, use that to read up on how to set up AD or something.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Turtlicious posted:

That's your spine loving with you, march back in there and say you'll take the 20K.

This is a good start. If you're making some more money, getting benefits and are getting some respect you're in a position to maybe learn some very marketable skills.

You have an amazing resource in these forums, you'll be able to punch way above your weight.

The MCSA certs are a real bitch, but if you're working on it in a real environment every day, it shouldn't be impossible.

First thing:
Knock out some comptia. One every other month for the next six months.
A+
Network+
Security+

These are not difficult, you can pass them. Schedule your A+ tonight. If you don't have a book, buy one. This will work: http://amzn.com/1119137853
Don't buy all the other bullshit, just start skimming through the book. if you understand everything go fast. If you don't go slow. You're going to have to memorize some dumb poo poo because it's the A+ but you're getting paid $1000 to do this.

Network+ shouldn't be bad at all, do the same exact thing, buy the book, read it, take the test, get paid.

Security+ is dessert. It's an easy as poo poo test and as long as you memorize some ports and all their dumb terms like "Smishing" you'll be fine.

As for Microsoft:
MTA, you could probably pass today, cold.

MCSA is kinda lovely. You will learn a ton and it will pay off more than the $2000 your employer is offering. The tests are bullshit. If you studied your rear end off for the 70-410, 411 and 412 and failed each one, you'd be well equipped to take a job as a System Administrator. Not a Jr.

If you're going to do a modern environment, you're going to be virtualizing at some point. VMware VCP will be gold to you. It's a pain to get unless you can find a community college that offers the class. I think you'd benefit from sticking your toes in the virtualization pool.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
gently caress you MSCA

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Swink posted:

gently caress you MSCA

That goes double for 70-411 gently caress that test.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zaepho posted:

That goes double for 70-411 gently caress that test.

Yeah. Double, as in the number of times I failed that test.

They've got a package now where for $200 you can take the test and get 4 retakes.

Make sure to memorize what Get-ADDomainControllerPasswordReplicationPolicyUsage does. This is totally not a scam.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Turtlicious posted:

So, I got to give my AD presentation 3 days early, because A.) "We were hit by a Windows 10 Attack" and B.) "Turtle was giving orders to people way above his pay grade during an organized attack" So that was Terrifying. Especially considering I was just playing Halo: Online on my laptop like, 5 minutes before anyone tells me. I'm sitting in a conference room that I've turned into my Office, because no-one wants to clean up the left over glass from one of the 4 tables that broke in there, and my Boss comes in and basically orders me to clean myself up because we have an important meeting to go to. I wet my hair comb it, and throw on some poo poo from my bag and I guess I look presentable, but I don't have my suit or anything. I keep the gloves in my back pocket though, that's just to feel right.

Anyways, I walk into the Board Meeting room, which is just a conference room without broken tables, and they all look at me like I'm supposed to say something. I look at my boss, and he's like nudging me so instead of going off my script, I just have to flat out say, "We got attacked yesterday, and the only reason it didn't completely destroy this company from the inside out is because the hacker was dumb as hell." My boss is looking at me like I'm crazy, so I keep going, and lay out why we need internet security, why we need an active domain, how easy our entire system could be brought down by employees, and then showed them key loggers and poo poo on amazon. It took like an hour to go through everything in it's entirety, and they eventually let me grab my laptop to show them the powerpoint with costs and poo poo laid out.

I might have been a bit more alarmist, but I felt like I had to be, and pointing out all of the extremely easy ways I could cost us millions, up to and including that bounty for counterfeited windows, they seemed to really come my way. They made me an offer for 20k a year ontop of my job duties, and I flat out refused and told them most IT professionals make close to 6 figures, and even a Junior System Administrator made 64k. They didn't really like that, and I pointed out they could always hire a contractor that would charge them close to a million a year, do half the work, and maintain no actual liability. They offered 31k in pay, full healthcare, vision, dental, a 401k that matches up to 20%, and a 1k raise for every COMPTIA Cert I have / get and 2k for every Cert I get on this list. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/windows-certification.aspx

I told them they had to pay for my Certs at that point, and I had to seriously talk it over with my girlfriend to work for so little.

Then I uh... Went back to work, turned off the facebook firewall and played halo for 5 hours.

You're taking the piss. No one in a group meeting discusses salaries or makes offers on the loving fly.

:cmon:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DigitalMocking posted:

You're taking the piss. No one in a group meeting discusses salaries or makes offers on the loving fly.
Have you been reading his posts? I think we're looking at a completely new level of organisational dysfunction here.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DigitalMocking posted:

:cmon:

I mean, that's how it happened, right after the presentation they went "Ok we need this, you can build it, here's how much we'll give you" I have no idea how other companies do it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Swink posted:

gently caress you MSCA

i just did them the last few months. Passed then all the 1st time.
I scored lower each exam. 411 en 412 were a real bitch.
Scored 788 and 750 on them.
410 is doable, scored 842. But god I spent so much time learning. It feels refreshing to have so much free time again.
Prepare to learn where a certain function is in 10 tabs.

Scheduled a meeting with my boss next week to ask for a raise.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Make sure to memorize what Get-ADDomainControllerPasswordReplicationPolicyUsage does. This is totally not a scam.
This is true

Roargasm posted:

Awesome book, but here's the cliff notes:
-Get a physical planner
-Write down absolutely everything
-Start your morning but organizing your priorities into A, B, and C categories and make a rough schedule for the day before you start helping people with emails/tickets

Thank you. I got some this in school

Sefal fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 30, 2016

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

AD presentation
:words:
active domain
Repeat after me: Active Directory.

Or just "Domain," because almost nobody uses Open Directory or eDirectory/NDS anymore.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I think if you're learning the terminology and technology as you go, you're not particularly equipped to set it up on a work environment, but hey if they want to let you.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 30, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Working in IT 4.0: Mr Turtles Wild Ride

This whole thing is amazing. Good luck dude.

I agree on if you have so much time to start reading or watching videos. Watch the pluralsight or CBT nuggets videos for the MCSA 410 and you should probably have a good start on getting your domain setup

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I think if you're learning the terminology and technology as you go, you're not particularly equipped to set it up on a work environment, but hey if they want to let you.

pretty much this. I hope it goes smoothly, but look forward to the stories along the way,

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SaltLick posted:

Working in IT 4.0: Mr Turtles Wild Ride

Please to do the needful

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
31k raise and full benefits, plus a title of system admin? You'd be psychotic to not take that. Sorry not sorry for the honesty but if they posted that job anywhere you'll be out qualified in a second by dozens of candidates who know what they're doing.

Single tier system admins are not making near 6 figures. Consultants don't cost a million dollars. You pulled some ballsy lies on them, don't let them think about it and figure out you're not the best candidate for the job.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 30, 2016

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
For $1000 raise/$2000 bonus per cert I would gladly bullrush every entry level cert on the planet.

Also stop playing video games at work, what the gently caress. Especially after a huge meeting with the bigwigs.

And if contractors in your area are making a million a year please tell me where to submit my resume.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 30, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

31k raise and full benefits, plus a title of system admin? You'd be psychotic to not take that. Sorry not sorry for the honesty but if they posted that job anywhere you'll be out qualified in a second by dozens of candidates who know what they're doing.

edit: Nevermind it is probably a raise since he already makes 14.70/hr. Doubling your salary in the span of a hour? Yea not too shabby.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 30, 2016

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I felt the random capitalization of "my Boss" was telling.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Exactly this. I wouldn't pay a guy who doesn't know you can't just "put server on a workstation" 30k a year, let alone let them make any changes. Especially to a dipshit kid who plays Halo on the clock.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Single tier system admins are not making near 6 figures. Consultants don't cost a million dollars. You pulled some ballsy lies on them, don't let them think about it and figure out you're not the best candidate for the job.

Yeah this plus the tuxedo gloves made me realize it's fake quickly

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bigass Moth posted:

For $1000 raise/$2000 bonus per cert I would gladly bullrush every entry level cert on the planet.
The first place I worked at started techs at $18,000 (this was back in 2000 but poo poo, that's $8/hr) and then you got $1,000 raise for every CompTIA, Microsoft, or Novell (again this was 2000) cert you took.

So basically guys would study up and pass the 6 tests or whatever you needed for MCSE, then Novell CNA or whatever they called it, and they'd be making like...$35,000 a year. And then after they figured out that wasn't jack poo poo they would end up just getting a full-time job at a regular company doing less work with less stress making $50,000.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I played videogames at work once. I got here at 5AM when I am scheduled for 8AM and fixed an issue in 10 minutes, and I was the only person in the office. Even then I felt kinda uncomfortable about it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uh guys, 14.70 * 2080/work hours a year = 30k

You were all the ones telling me to be ballsy or whatever.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/san-francisco-systems-administrator-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IM759_KO14,35.htm Going off of this, and a few other sites, it goes from 64k for a junior analyst, to 120k.

I was checking up on this thread for advice before I go in, but yeah I'm going to take it. I just read you shouldn't say yes on the spot, and everyone was telling me to grow a spine and don't let them push me around, so I tried to do that. Anyways! Going in today somewhat early to get this poo poo set up from scratch. The contract is a 2 year term, but with how everyone is freaking out about the pay, I'm guessing I should hop on it. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm getting mixed messages, I wasn't scheduled for anything, and had no tickets in my system. My Job title at the time was still "Counter Terrorist" obviously, this is getting very serious very fast so I'm going to take it a lot more seriously.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
My first IT job was for a "large financial institution" and I supported a call center as a desktop guy. This was in the late 90s when IT was booming and we were pretty heavily staffed and served a call center of about 1000. We had a 6 seat "test LAN" in our equipment room behind a locked door that required badge entry. I worked the 1-10pm shift, so during the day when it was slow (which was often), we'd play counterstrike or unreal tournament on the private LAN. Sometimes at our desks, we'd play Quake 2 over IPX on the main company LAN. At night when all the important people left, me and the other guy would take turns playing Everquest on dialup over an unmonitored fax line that we had.

That run only lasted a year or two before I moved into a new role at a new building, but for a 23 yr old it was a pretty cool gig.