Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kumaton posted:

I feel like the biggest joke in all of this is that it seems like no other working artist out there wants to associate themselves with Working Daze, so Roberts has to ape some famous cartoonist's style.
I don't even think it's that nobody will work with him; it's probably more a case of he thinks they're "paying tribute" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Snoopy Shouldn't Talk

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Eh, close, but still out of tune (yes, it's still pretty cool):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znilKotogN8

Double the speed and it sounds a little better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKJQB2qOIV8

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze continues to poo poo on the legacy of the masters.

Everything about this trash is an affront to comics.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Transmodiar posted:

Snoopy Shouldn't Talk

:hellyeah:
So much better.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (March 29 and 31, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (July 19-21, 1954)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze continues to poo poo on the legacy of the masters.

I gasped. Horrific.

Transmodiar posted:

Snoopy Shouldn't Talk

THANK you.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Flapper Fanny Says

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey, resident colorist in the thread! I'm wondering something! I don't know if these comics are in your syndicate, but even if you have no connection with them, you might be able to make an educated guess...

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

And Dawn wanders off, obliviously repeating in her head, "Explore new interests...Make new friends...But HOW?"

A lot of the characters in Mary Worth seem to like wearing single-tone lounge suits. This makes sense for an old lady like Mary Worth, but it also shows up on small children, trophy wives, and happnin' college kids.

It seems like an odd choice. How does this happen? Is the colorist being consistently too lazy to pick separate colors for the tops and pants (though the background characters would seem to disprove this theory), or has the task of creating Mary Worth propelled the writer/artist to such depths of insanity that they are actually specifying "MAKE DAWN DRESS ALL IN PURPLE, COLOR PEONS"?

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

The coloring in Pros and Cons, on the other hand, is consistently well done, with subtle touches that would be hard to envision in a lot of other strips. People in this room have different skin tones! That man's shirt collar is a different color than his jacket! The lawyer character (who does not appear today) wears a vest where the front is clearly a different fabric than the back. This smacks of effort!

Is this likely a case of Meehan specifying how he wants things colored, or is this a case of a colorist liking the comic and wanting to make it look nice?

Here's a comic that's a waste of some poor color drone's effort:

Luann

And some better ones!

The Amazing Spider-Man

Does Dr. Strange not have any wizard friends? What if a nice wizard wants to visit and have some tea? Does buddy get zapped?

Sally Forth

I AGREE, CES.

Uh... Colorist? Why did Ted switch to salad in the last panel?

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

:stonklol: in retrospect. Do you have the date on this one?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Don't complain, Sluggo, or else your betters wont give you any charity at all

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Pluggers remember when who was a what? :confused:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

No, seriously, how the hell does this one strip get to make all these sex jokes????

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

Hey, resident colorist in the thread! I'm wondering something! I don't know if these comics are in your syndicate, but even if you have no connection with them, you might be able to make an educated guess...

Hey there! These are mostly outside my syndicate with the exception of Luann. Let me answer your questions as best I can.

I can say that workload and deadlines play into the laziness and/or weird choices by colorists. I'm guilty of this. If you're not given consistent guidance by the cartoonist and/or you're not paying attention, you fall into a "get this poo poo done as quickly as possible" funk, especially with older strips. Every strip has a palette, but you can't account for every single scenario with just one palette, so you often have to improvise.

When I color Peanuts, I have to color the same strip twice. Every week, I have to color one strip, and then repeat the entire process with the next strip, the only difference being that the second strip is a little taller. Schulz is long dead, so the only guidance I've ever received from Peanuts was, "Keep the backgrounds pastel and not so dark." That's it.

My coworker who colors Big Nate, on the other hand, gets emails from Lincoln Peirce CONSTANTLY because Peirce looks at every single strip on GoComics and he makes note of every inconsistency. You develop a stricter and more consistent palette based on the creator's involvement, and your natural talent as a colorist comes into play as well.

Stephan Pastis does not like yellow backgrounds. That's all the advice I got when I was handed coloring duties on Pearls Before Swine last week.

Luckily I get to color Phoebe and Her Unicorn, and Dana Simpson is both encouraging and consistently helpful. We have a freelancer color Luann, and I pray every day I won't ever have to color it myself. I already have to color Close to Home and it's awful.

tl;dr: the more guidance creators give colorists, the better. But most strips don't receive that much guidance regarding color, which results in inconsistencies and weirdness.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Nice try, but we both know libraries never close because they're the unstoppable anticapitalist juggernaut slaughtering Mom & Pop Main Street!! You can't compete with free!!

I still laugh every time I see this. :roflolmao:

RandomFerret posted:

I watched The Fugitive more than once, and this is still the only scene I remember.
It's literally the only good part of the entire movie.

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger
Why was there a prescription in the safe? :psyduck:

That's a really bad choice of profanity symbols, unless the implication was that the customer was calling her "box" for some reason.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

painynumbs posted:

We have a freelancer color Luann, and I pray every day I won't ever have to color it myself.
Tell them I'm willing to paypal them 20 bucks if they start gradually changing the background gradients so we end up with psychedelic multicolored swirls in a few months.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tiggum posted:

That's a really bad choice of profanity symbols, unless the implication was that the customer was calling her "box" for some reason.

Maybe he's actually calling her a oval office.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I like how the elixir in this Moomin story was water, honey, and pepper.

And it actually does something.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Written For a Modern Audiencebean

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix prepares for this year's big summer blockbuster.

gently caress you, rabbits own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MHUlVIJy94 :colbert:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life mid-week catch-up.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Does Dr. Strange not have any wizard friends? What if a nice wizard wants to visit and have some tea? Does buddy get zapped?

Dr Strange is an rear end in a top hat, even by wizard standards.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

I AGREE, CES.

Uh... Colorist? Why did Ted switch to salad in the last panel?

Little know fact: Muffins are actually salad cleverly woven together into a more pleasing shape/colour, to trick people into eating healthy food. By breaking a muffin into its constituent parts Ted is exposing the truth to the world!

Also I like how they managed to gently caress up the continuity on the Muffin/salad which is both important to the plot and pretty front and center, but still got the colouring continuity on the books spot on between the first and third frame, even though they're a minor background thing basically no ones ever going to notice.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

You know, in a good comic this little storyline would end with Lynn finding out about the dance and then having the same reaction as her husband. Somehow I don't think that's going to happen.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County is really into genuine experiences.

Peanuts (April 5, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

No wait, what's that other word? A hack. Yeah, that's totally it.

Crankshaft

Li'l Rip Haywire missed his calling by not writing old jungle sayings.

Out Our Way (January 9-10, 1929)

Thimble Theater (October 17, 1929)

Part of me hopes that Castor has figured out a way to get those checks cancelled and just let his idiot son wander off to learn these things the hard way. Of course, we already know that Popeye ends up independently wealthy off of pirate gold, but that comes much later.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set stimulates the economy.

Working Daze has nine panels, zero jokes.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix pays tribute.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Great. I agree to take Dad to his doctor's appointments and what do I get in return? He makes me a Plugger. :mad:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

And now I know what a Wawa is.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

This isn't actually that far off from the standard descriptions - a lot of things seem to "die" or "be killed" in math. I'm still not sure why.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Ripley's

And now I know what a Wawa is.

The achievement is a bit less impressive when you realize that Wawa is only in six states, so it's not like it was a massive road trip.

They do have great sandwiches, though.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

TOBY

Wallace the Brave

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Chimeric posted:

Wallace the Brave

I really like Wallace the Brave. It reminds me a lot of Cul-De-Sac.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (March 7, 1951)

Barnaby (August 12, 1942)

Nancy (April 21, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (January 2, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (January 31, 1923)

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

This is such an incredibly raunchy strip. Is the punchline really what I think it is?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

painynumbs posted:

Every strip has a palette, but you can't account for every single scenario with just one palette, so you often have to improvise.
So you have a set number of colors to choose from for any given comic (other than the occasional need to improvise)? I assume with current comics the creator usually has some input in what those colors are, but otherwise who decides that? Just some dude at some point had the authority to say "These are the colors for Mary Worth" and that's just the way it has been for who knows how long?

This explains MW's penchant for weird yellow walls and purple whatevers. Having a set palette makes a lot of sense. I don't know why I never thought about it. But it should probably be revisited periodically.

F Minus

Score!

Mary Worth has a professor with a rare duotone outfit.

It's probably unusual that in a group of 6 at least 2 are left-handed. I don't know what the girl in the back left is doing. Fixing her hair?

Rex Morgan MD

I both hope this does and does not end up with Mr Avery clumsily and inappropriately hitting on June.

Secret Agent X-9

I want to know what the regulation actually said.

Apartment 3-G

Ugh.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I would love it if, one day, one of the dreg comics like luann just started having these amazing colors on every daily, like they hired this amazing genius who just expressed himself through the daily ins and outs of snuffy smith or the lockhorns or whatever

E: I did one myself, this was fun, everyone do one

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 30, 2016

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Ardeem posted:

:stonklol: in retrospect. Do you have the date on this one?
January, 1915-ish.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Flapper Fanny Says

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze has nine panels, zero jokes.

I am personally insulted! Stay off my turf Roberts and Zakour!!

Life In Hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

treasureplane posted:

Barnaby (August 12, 1942)

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the lesson in this whole arc in Barnaby has been "judge people by their looks", right? Like, Barnaby assumed the ogre was evil just because he looked evil, and Barnaby was vindicated on this: no one could look that sinister without actually being a Nazi menace.

And this has continued to be the case.

I'm remembering this right, right? :psyduck:

• Locked thread