Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
the system has something for a lot of playstyles. hardcore players can work their way up to savage content asap with a static, midcore can buy lore gear and do the highest primal ex/some savage, casual players (and alts) can do basically all non-savage content with regular 200-210-220 gear you can get through expert dungeons (esos) or midas dungeon finder. I've got some friends who do hardcore raiding 6 hours a week in statics while I lag behind a fair bit, but we still can do a lot of the content together while maintaining the sense of gear progress for all of us because of the multi tiered system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

He's not wrong that gear in this game is incredibly shallow, and the complete lack of any kind of customization only makes that worse.

The optimization and modeling problem is deep enough in this game, even if only artificially due to obscure damage formulae.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Sentient Data posted:

What the gently caress, why do they keep giving top-end players new goals to reach for instead of just letting the game stagnate?!

The gear should also be on an exponential curve so partying with a 60 with slightly outdated gear is the same thing as a level 50 partying with a level 1

I'm reasonably sure that Fister means that that your gearing decisions at max level are pretty much be sure you are as close to the acc cap as possible and then cram as much crit as you can swing. Even as casual scum these stats are lame.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That... wasn't an OF post? Poe's law strikes again, I guess

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

"Man, that's a lot of sacred soils, I wonder... oh."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

That... wasn't an OF post? Poe's law strikes again, I guess

Of course it is.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

vOv posted:

"Man, that's a lot of sacred soils, I wonder... oh."

Book Club, motherfucker. =P

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
omg the bennu plays the music from t12. I may actually never use another mount

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Where is Bio, where is Bio 2, where is Ruin 1

At one point in a previous fight I saw him use Hawk's Eye.

edit: oh I'm a moron, he did use bio and bio 2, I don't know how ACT works and didn't realize it sorts them elsewhere because they don't do damage upfront

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 30, 2016

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Hamsterlady posted:

where is Ruin 1

Except in very long fights there's no need for a Summoner to use Ruin 1 anymore, especially if they're meleeing.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

nuru posted:

Except in very long fights there's no need for a Summoner to use Ruin 1 anymore, especially if they're meleeing.

That's fair, but I'm pretty sure Bio and Bio II are still pretty important

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, no words for that part.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Even in not-that-long fights, every four Ruin Is you cast instead of Ruin II saves you enough mana to hardcast a Ruin III out of DWT, which means that the Ruin 1 has an effective potency of ~110 instead of 80.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Okay, I did one. :ninja:

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 30, 2016

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

synthetik posted:

And we get to play dress up with catgirls in short shorts.

I saw a catgirl dressed up as cammy from street fighter. Ive been told it's a bit hard to pull off Bison though.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
0/7 on a Crank from Midas 3 now through DF. Yuuup, think I'll be trying to recruit some goons tomorrow. Five of those seven times, the parties wiped once, atleast twice at 1%. The last one I did had two wipes, causing the other seven party member to play the blame game. We somehow won with accusations being thrown around every 20 seconds.

After next week, I think I'm ignoring Midas for some time. Not even sure if I should get my main a lore weapon, since I'll have a hyperconductive anima weapon. "They played us like a goddamn fiddle!"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Re: game stagnating

At what point do you just realize you've done all the content in a game? Is it the games fault that it doesn't just go on literally forever? I always thought something like 5% of players ever get to the MMO endgame. If anything, it seems inefficient to cater to that small but very vocal crowd.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Pretty sure the whole idea of dungeon finder, several sets of gear and all, that stuff is to make sure more than 5% of people see the end game content. Number sounds like an eq1 or 40 man wow raids era figure.

And it's not like only the high end raid players themselves enjoy the content. People watch streams, do the content when gear is better so it's in reach of the average player, or just do it a few times and fail. Casual people have fun mostly losing to sephirot ex.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

How to Seph Ex as a tank:

1. Make sure your group includes at least one MCH.
2. Aim for a perfect rate of killing the turret with Seph's phase 1 cleaves.

If the turret happens to be in the middle of the rest of the party, it introduces a new dodging mechanic and keeps them on their toes.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Elderbean posted:

I tried verifying with FF goons but it didn't work. Is there anyone I can send an email to?
I just manually verified your account instead, everything should be working now.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Re: game stagnating

At what point do you just realize you've done all the content in a game? Is it the games fault that it doesn't just go on literally forever? I always thought something like 5% of players ever get to the MMO endgame. If anything, it seems inefficient to cater to that small but very vocal crowd.

Well I have almost a thousand hours of game time from over a year of subs and I still haven't exhausted everything I want to do, let alone the entirety of the games content...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Grimace posted:

0/7 on a Crank from Midas 3 now through DF. Yuuup, think I'll be trying to recruit some goons tomorrow. Five of those seven times, the parties wiped once, atleast twice at 1%. The last one I did had two wipes, causing the other seven party member to play the blame game. We somehow won with accusations being thrown around every 20 seconds.

After next week, I think I'm ignoring Midas for some time. Not even sure if I should get my main a lore weapon, since I'll have a hyperconductive anima weapon. "They played us like a goddamn fiddle!"
Would you say you... got cranked?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Is there a good resource for figuring out what materia to meld to certain gear?

Also, learning BLM - is Fire1 my filler if Eco isn't up, or FireIII for single target? Should I be hardcasting ThunderIII or start with ThunderII and wait for ThunderCloud procs to get ThunderIII rolling?

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
Stupid noob questions: I'm around level 12 on my first class, Gladiator, and so I've just unlocked the whole crafting side of things. In WoW I was an avid crafter, always picking up recipes as soon as I could and going out of my way to ensure I levelled my crafts at the same rate as my class. But the in-game help suggested that wasn't the sort of thing one should do in FFXIV, thanks to the whole concept of craft classes replacing your main one.

So, questions: Around what level/progression would it make sense to pick up a craft or two; and, what crafts make the most sense to level alongside a gladiator? Although, yes, I'm aware I can switch away from that too.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

synthetik posted:

Also, learning BLM - is Fire1 my filler if Eco isn't up, or FireIII for single target? Should I be hardcasting ThunderIII or start with ThunderII and wait for ThunderCloud procs to get ThunderIII rolling?

if you mess up your 60 rotation and enochian isnt up, fall back to the 50 rotation until it is

T2, F3, F1 till near oom (procing firestarter/thundercloud when its up), B3, (optional refresh of T2), repeat. Use T2 during umbral to get thunder up if it isnt already, but always proc thundercloud with T3

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 30, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Stupid noob questions: I'm around level 12 on my first class, Gladiator, and so I've just unlocked the whole crafting side of things. In WoW I was an avid crafter, always picking up recipes as soon as I could and going out of my way to ensure I levelled my crafts at the same rate as my class. But the in-game help suggested that wasn't the sort of thing one should do in FFXIV, thanks to the whole concept of craft classes replacing your main one.

So, questions: Around what level/progression would it make sense to pick up a craft or two; and, what crafts make the most sense to level alongside a gladiator? Although, yes, I'm aware I can switch away from that too.

I'll just quote an earlier post of mine:

Fister Roboto posted:

You can make leveling gear that's actually better than quest rewards, but it's not really worth the time investment on your first class. Crafting is significantly more interconnected in this game than in other MMOs. It plays to the fact that you can level every profession on one character. If you were to play a paladin, for example, you couldn't just level up mining and blacksmithing and be able to cover all your gear needs. Most of their equipment is made by blacksmiths and armorsmiths, yes, but a lot of it also comes from carpenters, goldsmiths, leatherworkers, and weavers. And those items are made from materials that are made by all the crafting classes and/or gathered by all the gathering classes.

Let's take a simple steel longsword for example. To make one totally from scratch, you'd need to be a level 35 blacksmith, and you'd need two steel ingots, a length of walnut lumber, and a block of fish glue. The ingots are made by either blacksmiths or armorsmiths, and made out of materials obtained by miners. The lumber is made by carpenters and made out of materials obtained by botanists. The glue is made by alchemists and made out of materials obtained by fishers. So you'd have to level all those classes up to the appropriate levels. You'd also have to make gear for those classes, because crafting and gathering gear is a thing in this game too. As you can see, that's quite a bit of effort just to make a simple sword.

That's not to say that crafting isn't worth it. But my advice is to get to level 60 on your first combat class first. You'll get good enough gear from quests and dungeons on the way, as well as a decent amount of seed money for when you do start crafting.

tl;dr: crafting is worth it, but not in a way to supplement your first combat class. Get to 60 first before you worry about crafting.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

synthetik posted:

I don't think anyone has written a guide on it yet. It kind of depends on the job, but in general, crit materia is the most preferred. However, if your gear already has max materia, then it's going to vary a bit. BLMs benefit well from spell speed, since they essentially have infinite MP. Determination seems to suck pretty bad this patch. I guess you could use a priority system:

- Are you at max accuracy for the content you plan on doing? If not, meld accuracy.
- Is you gear at max crit? If not, meld that.
- If at max crit, is spell speed max? If not, meld that.
- If somehow both crit / SS are max, I guess you can meld det.

I'm not sure if anyone has found out the correct weights between SS and Det yet, and I've heard that there's times where you want to meld det over SS.

edit: For right side fending gear if you go tank, meld strength to it since 1 strength is worth 0.43 attack power. That's an exception.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'll just quote an earlier post of mine:

tl;dr: crafting is worth it, but not in a way to supplement your first combat class. Get to 60 first before you worry about crafting.

That makes sense, then. Thanks! Back to quests.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
By no means does that mean don't try to level crafting at all, but don't worry about leveling crafting/gathering to supplement your first class. Go ahead and start working on them sooner rather than later, but do it as a means to assist in leveling other classes as you go.

Whenever you do start to level crafting, there is an order that is most helpful. Level all of the classes to 15 at least to get a good staple of cross class skills. Level culinarian to 37 first to get steady hand II. Next take carpenter and weaver to 50. At this point you'll have all the skills necessary to HQ almost any craft.

Also, unlock all of the classes whether you're actively leveling them or not and do your daily grand company turn ins. This gives you an abundance of grand company seals, a little bit of gil, and excellent experience for your doh/dol classes. You can frequently buy the turn ins (especially gatherer ones) on the marketboard or from a vendor for dirt cheap. It's always best to turn in HQ if you can, but if there's a significant price difference just use NQ.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

synthetik posted:

Materia can buff substats but every piece of gear has an internal "cap" on how high it can boost any given substat.

An example: Lets say you have a crafted body piece, with 2 free slots and 3 overmeld slots. It's substats are 100 crit rate and 80 determination. The higher substat is the "cap", that can't be pushed any higher with materia. So you could meld crit materia onto this piece, but they wouldn't do anything, and would show a boost of +0 crit rate. You could meld determination instead, but only up to the cap of 100; so materia would be able to improve things up to +20 determination but would then stop providing benefits. Something like spell speed, which isn't on the body piece at all to begin with, is at 0/100 so could be boosted as much as you like. If you had more money then sense, you could throw Quicktongue Vs at this piece until all five slots had +12 spell speed, which would leave the final body piece at 100crit, 80det, and 60ss.

Rule of thumb for substats is to always meld Crit unless it's already capped, in which case you meld Det if you're using Materia V, and SS if you're using Materia IV. This is because a SSIV will give +9 and a DetIV will only give +6. Even if Det gives more benefit to a class it's usually not enough to overcome the lower bonus in actual Det points.

A wrinkle on this entire process is that materia for primary stats, like STR, VIT, INT, can only go into free slots. You can't overmeld them. This isn't a problem though, because primary stats have a cap as well, and those caps are usually already reached on left-side gear. In general if you only really meld primary stats in two situations:

1. You are a tank melding STR onto fending accessories for damage
2. You are anything else melding VIT onto accessories for survivability

Situation 1 is the norm because STR benefits a tank way more then any other substat can. Situation 2 only happens in bleeding edge progression, usually. If you don't need the extra 1-2k hp buffer it's better to meld offensive substats in non-tank accessories.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In addendum to using GC turn-ins to level, the second best way to get experience 1-50 is to do delivery leves, and you'll want to level more than one class at a time if possible from the same city state. For example, leatherworker and carpenter get delivery leves from Gridiana, and the delivery goes to the same spot, so level those together. Do goldsmith and weaver together, as well as blacksmith, armorsmith and culinarian together.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Smart Car posted:

I just manually verified your account instead, everything should be working now.

Awesome, thank you!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kuvo posted:

if you mess up your 60 rotation and enochian isnt up, fall back to the 50 rotation until it is

T2, F3, F1 till near oom (procing firestarter/thundercloud when its up), B3, (optional refresh of T2), repeat. Use T2 during umbral to get thunder up if it isnt already, but always proc thundercloud with T3
You and him both made the same typo of "Thunder 2" when you meant "Thunder 1".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just had a dungeon with a monk who was using one ilm punch regularly, and tornado kick whenever he reached GL3. He was doing 650 dps. It's a good thing we have the newbie hall and SSS to prevent things like this.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You and him both made the same typo of "Thunder 2" when you meant "Thunder 1".

Don't cast Thunder 2? Basically if I'm hardcasting Thunder, it should be the level 1 version?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

synthetik posted:

Don't cast Thunder 2? Basically if I'm hardcasting Thunder, it should be the level 1 version?

Yep, it's fast and cheap and all you want it for is those thundercloud procs.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The logic is that you're using it purely to fish for Thundercloud procs. Because everything afterwards is going to be Thunder 3 anyways.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yes

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Fister Roboto posted:

Just had a dungeon with a monk who was using one ilm punch regularly, and tornado kick whenever he reached GL3. He was doing 650 dps. It's a good thing we have the newbie hall and SSS to prevent things like this.
no amount of hand holding is going to stop someone from trying to slam the square peg through the round hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The best part about low-manning turn 13 (aside from fewer people to fight against for the sheet music) is that the last phase of the fight lasts long enough for the third Akh Morn and its musical accompaniment.

Witness *pew* Suffer *pew pew* Borrow *pew* Reason

• Locked thread