Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is a bit of a contemporary question, but is there a standard armament for UN peacekeeping forces, or a reference of what it was across various peacekeeping missions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Basically, no. You use whatever you normally have.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Anyone have any good recommendations for Documentaries about the B17 Flying Fortress?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a bit of a contemporary question, but is there a standard armament for UN peacekeeping forces, or a reference of what it was across various peacekeeping missions?

I think the idea is that UN asks for peacekeepera and then some Pakistanis get to paint BMPs white and get really concerned about blue helmets. No such thing as a standing UN army to break down your door and take your guns, no matter what uncle John says.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Is there anything good out there about the Soviet strategy in the Pacific if the balloon had gone up? The working assumption in New Zealand seems to have been that the signals intelligence sites (Waihopai, Tangimoana, and Irirangi) and maybe the military-capable airfields might have caught whatever was left over from flattening Australia, but what did the Soviets actually plan to do?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

In the 1970s, didn't the M60 get a new gun that could blow holes through the T-72? I remember reading that a Israeli M60 with this gun what knocked out in Syria managed to make its way to the Soviets, and they were not amused. This is why 1980s Soviet T-72s have that extra turret armor?

This was also an important event if you were a T-72 user, because then it became super important to get upgrades, and the T-72s of the Iraqi army didn't get them.

Nah not a new gun, but new ammunition. "M111" if memory serves me correctly.

Also the new turret armor that you refer to, do you mean the T-72A turret? Many T-72s also got an additional applique armor to the glacis, but not many of the export models.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Trin Tragula posted:

Just wait until he finds out that the sergeant says "gently caress" sometimes! :allears:

Swearing? In this mans army! That is horrid. Absolutly darn horrid!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

"Isti miseri"

Which, for clarification, looks to mean 'you wretches'. Harsh words indeed.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Panzeh posted:

To be fair, when those tanks came out, they scared the US into developing the Shillelagh and MBT-70 quite heavily. It's a lot like the Bradley and the BMP.

Except the Bradley didn't suck, of course.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Grey Hunter posted:

Swearing? In this mans army! That is horrid. Absolutly darn horrid!

What, never?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I rememer reading earlier in the thread about someone saying that they were going to do a first crusade megapost, did anything come from that? Or can someone recommend me a book with a good overview.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lord Tywin posted:

I rememer reading earlier in the thread about someone saying that they were going to do a first crusade megapost, did anything come from that? Or can someone recommend me a book with a good overview.

Everything I know about the Crusades comes from a book called "A Brief History of the Crusades." It's precisely one book I've read here, but I thought it was pretty good, definitely a good intro on the topic.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Christopher Tyerman's "God's War" is a fantastic history of the crusades (at least I think it's fantastic, I'm not a scholar of the crusades or anything) and well worth a read if you can cope with its phenomenally weighty paperback version.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, I'm reading "Mussolini's Death March" a compliation of accounts from Italian soldiers on the Eastern Front and something that stood out is how most accounts I've read so far is the emphasis on the "kindness" of the Russians. Random examples:

A large group of mixed Italian and Germans are captured. The Germans are forced to strip and told to walk back to Germany, upon which their all promptly machine gunned. The Italians in contrast are simply taken to a camp.

A Italian unit pulls garrison duty in a village. A soldier makes an arrangement with a local woman about trading for food. He enters the local's izba one evening to discover the woman's son there with a rifle, turns out he's a partisan. They shrug and decide to ignore each other.

A Italian mechanic is taken prisoner by a Red Army unit. Needing someone to fix their trucks they force him to do it for them. They keep him along for the next few months until the ranking officer gives him a choice: put on a Red Army uniform and promise not to desert, or get turned in to a PoW camp. He decides to take the former option and ends the war with that unit and is offered to stay in the USSR and gain Soviet citizenship. He declines the offer and goes home. Has a amusing incident in which the Italian decides to rant about the evils of priests in order to suck up to his captors. The Russians more or less roll their eyes and say something like "who cares? There are good priests and bad priests. Stop badmouthing them all"

How often did these sort of informal, "gentlemen's agreements" happen?

I'm going to guess this was all pretty benign compared to what happend to German PoWs?

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 30, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

A couple thoughts occur to me:

First, the Russians may very well have drawn a distinction between the Germans and everyone else that was invading their country. I know there was a lot of propaganda whipped up specifically about how much the Germans were fuckers, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that your average Russian did a double take when presented with an Italian and that was enough to get them some moderately humane treatment.

That said, the cynical historian gently caress in me immediately suspects that the accounts - even if true - may very well have been cherry picked. Italy was one part of Europe where the far left wasn't discredited by the Cold War nearly as much as it was in the rest of it. Writing about how the USSR's beef was just with the Germans (despite the fact that the Italians were the OG Fascists and were also invading Russia) would fit in nicely with that world view.

Some fast googling shows that the author of the book became an anti-German partisan after Italy bowed out of the war and was invaded. Further googling shows that the are he was active in was dominated by Anarchist partisans. My gut feeling is that someone joining up with Anarchist partisans in 1944 probably swung to the left.

Don't take this as authoritative, it's gut hunches and midday googling. Even so, it's a plausible reason for at least collecting those kind of stories in a consistent enough manner that it stood out to you as a theme in the book.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gently caress me quote is not edit whatever I'll put it here

Also some fast googling shows that Italian POWs in Russian captivity had about the same atrocious survival rate as their German companions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_prisoners_of_war_in_the_Soviet_Union

Apparently it became a hot-button topic in Italian politics with center-right parties using it to say how evil the USSR was and the Italian leftists calling all of it anti-communist propaganda.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress me quote is not edit whatever I'll put it here

Also some fast googling shows that Italian POWs in Russian captivity had about the same atrocious survival rate as their German companions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_prisoners_of_war_in_the_Soviet_Union

Apparently it became a hot-button topic in Italian politics with center-right parties using it to say how evil the USSR was and the Italian leftists calling all of it anti-communist propaganda.

Italian POWs had it rough on both sides. After Italy surrendered many were stranded inside the Reich and interned. According to Wages of Destruction the Nazis worked 32,000 of their former allies to death.

quote:

Amongst the ‘Western workers’, the group that suffered most were the Italian soldiers interned by the Germans after the Italian surrender in the autumn of 1943. Of these unfortunates, no less than 32,000 were starved and worked to death over the winter of 1943— 4.

Tooze, Adam (2008-02-26). The Wages of Destruction: The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The Red Army propaganda apparatus did make a distinction between those evil fascist invaders and the minor nations that were misled or strong-armed by said evil fascist invaders and were actually good friends of Russians and Slavs (cue several examples of friendship from historical events). That said, I've never seen a leaflet like that for Italy.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Not much good news today, I'm afraid. We start at the Hanna chokepoint in Mesopotamia, where we find General Gorringe struggling against transport woes and having to delay his last-ditch relief effort towards Kut. Which is no use to anyone, not least the deteriorating garrison. A German U-boat pops up in the Black Sea to torpedo a Russian hospital ship; and just to cap it all off, General Hunter-Weston returns to the story today...but what's this? Has he actually learned something from being on Gallipoli? Coo, slap me vitals, etc. Grigoris Balakian marches deserted roads through Cilicia to reach Sis; E.S. Thompson hears a spurious latrine rumour about Tanga; Maximilian Mugge is most put out by hearing people say "gently caress"; and Louis Barthas has just been warned to move from his comfortable rest billet on the lower Somme, which surely can't mean anything good.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 30, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I've seen at least one memoir account of crushing fleeing Italian soldiers beneath tanks so, yeah, that account seems heavily cherry picked. Of course the main defeat of Italians was during the winter of 1942-1943, and that was an exceedingly bad time to be captured if the statistics say anything.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

On the other front, I seem to remember reading about Italian soldiers basically tripping over themselves to surrender to the Allies by the time they invaded Italy, on account of not really being into fascism anymore, and life in the Italian army being mostly worse than life in an allied POW camp (German soldiers seemed to be a bit more hardcore). Is there any truth to that, or did I read a pack of lies? I think I read it in a book in the school library when I was in high school (15 years ago) so...that could have been an embellishment, now that I think back about it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The western allies treated POWs exceedingly well by WWII standards.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Another thing that occurred to me is something that holds true for all survivor accounts: they're frequently not generalizeable for the average experience of people caught in their situation precisely because they self-select for people left alive to write memoirs or give interviews. If those accounts are true it easily could be that there were a few Russians who made that distinction, but they weren't anything like the majority. If 1 in 10 POWs survives because a Russian realizes he's not a German and in the other 9 cases they all get machine gunned it's going to look like a whole poo poo load of Russians were sympathetic of Italians if those survivors accounts are all you consult.

Reaching back a bit to what I was saying earlier about survivor testimony, you see this a LOT in studying the Holocaust. If all you read was survivor accounts you would think everyone had a job in the infirmary that kept them out of the bad details and that half the farmers in Poland were hiding Jews in their barns. One of the things I have to bring up to my students every time I teach that class is that the accounts sound implausible and filled with insane coincidences and strokes of good luck because they are - we're reading about the one in a thousand who had things turn out exactly right.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 30, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah, this should also be remembered for 'our tank was shot 10 times and didn't explode' stories.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

So, I'm reading "Mussolini's Death March" a compliation of accounts from Italian soldiers on the Eastern Front and something that stood out is how most accounts I've read so far emphasis the "kindness" of the Russians. Random examples:

A large group of mixed Italian and Germans are captured. The Germans are forced to strip and told to walk back to Grrmany, upon which their all promptly machine gunned. The Italians in contrast are simply taken to a camp.

A Italian unit pulls garrison duty in a village. A soldier makes an arrangement with a local woman about trading for food. He enters the local izba (or maybe it was Ibza? A sort of hut?) one evening to discover the woman's son there with a rifle, turns out he's a partisan. They shrug and decide to ignore each other.

A Italian mechanic is taken prisoner by a Red Army unit. Needing someone to fix their trucks they force him to do it the. Keep along for the next few months untill the ranking officer gives him a choice: put on a Red Army uniform and promise not to desert, or get turned in to a PoW camp. He decides to take the former option and ends the war with that unit and is offerd to stay in the USSR and gain Soviet citizenship. He declines the offer and goes home. Has a amusing incident in which the Italian decides to rant about the evils of priests in order to suck up to his captors. The Russians more or less roll their eyes and say something like "who cares? There are good priests and bad priests. Stop badmouthing them all"

I'm going to guess this was all pretty benign compared to what happend to German PoWs?

Cyrano brought up any misgivings I would have vis a vis the author's backgrounds and intentions.

Call me overly-optimistic, but i believe most people out there are decent. Your average person isn't a piece of garbage. That's why you hear of German soldiers and civilians showing humanity and compassion. After all, Hitler didn't exactly have majority approval going for him. This isn't to propagate things like the "Clean Wehrmacht myth" or to say that non-intervention is okay, but your average modern person doesn't have the cruelty in them to inflict awful crimes. Which is why there were political units like the SS or NKVD to make sure the message was overall being kept to.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fangz posted:

The western allies treated POWs exceedingly well by WWII standards.

Is it true that the main policy was "ship to loosely guarded camp in North America, good luck escaping now"? I know there's a few old POW camps here in Alberta (our University field station is built on the grounds of one of them), nestled in the Canadian Rockies seems a pretty decent way to live out the war. Of course I don't think many of those guys were repatriated until 1949 or something?

Plan Z posted:

Cyrano brought up any misgivings I would have vis a vis the author's backgrounds and intentions.

Call me overly-optimistic, but i believe most people out there are decent. Your average person isn't a piece of garbage. That's why you hear of German soldiers and civilians showing humanity and compassion. After all, Hitler didn't exactly have majority approval going for him. This isn't to propagate things like the "Clean Wehrmacht myth" or to say that non-intervention is okay, but your average modern person doesn't have the cruelty in them to inflict awful crimes. Which is why there were political units like the SS or NKVD to make sure the message was overall being kept to.

Pretty sure everything about the experience of WW2 (and the rest of them really) reveals that this absolutely is not the case. War is a hell of a drug, and the trauma of it will gently caress with your brain in surprising ways.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nckdictator posted:

If at all true - and the posts above indicate that it may not be - it could be because the Italians (and Spanish) never really got to properly serve the part of an occupying force and seriously get on the Russian poo poo list. Romanians etc all had really great lists of "reasons why you should shoot the next Fascist underling you see in the face" floating around.

Trin Tragula posted:

Maximilian Mugge is most put out by hearing people say "gently caress"
Do you live in something like a classless society? Or at least one in which "fancy" speaking is no longer something taught to the upper classes?

There's a fairly large gap between (by way of comparison) proper literary Russian that a well educated intelligentsia / middle class family may speak, and "street" Russian or мат. Talking to working class folk who loving бля can't loving бля stop loving бля using the word "бля" after every other loving бля word can get loving бля irritating.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 30, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty sure everything about the experience of WW2 (and the rest of them really) reveals that this absolutely is not the case. War is a hell of a drug, and the trauma of it will gently caress with your brain in surprising ways.

I guess in my mind it went more like "They didn't always like what they were doing or were aware of the larger picture." It's much more complicated than my original statement, which is why I hovered over "Submit Reply" for a very long time.

I was re-reading about Operation Torch recently, and a tank destroyer unit in particular was talking about being strafed by friendly Mustangs and Spitfires for several days on end, presumably because all of the M3 GMCs looked like German halftracks. One thing I've always been curious about how often air crews were ever confronted about specific issues of friendly fire in terms of either debriefs or even punishment like court-martials. I imagine it could really mess someone up. I'm guessing if it happened, it was only in extreme cases as keeping crew numbers up was probably very difficult, but it's something I've been really curious about even since I was little.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Cyrano4747 posted:

Some fast googling shows that the author of the book became an anti-German partisan after Italy bowed out of the war and was invaded. Further googling shows that the are he was active in was dominated by Anarchist partisans. My gut feeling is that someone joining up with Anarchist partisans in 1944 probably swung to the left.

Don't take this as authoritative, it's gut hunches and midday googling. Even so, it's a plausible reason for at least collecting those kind of stories in a consistent enough manner that it stood out to you as a theme in the book.

Not sure how much the author has edited each individual's account but that would make sense.

A few more things I noticed in the accounts:

All of the soldiers interviewed -without exception- claim they never were Fascists. I'm not sure how much this was postwar rear end-covering, the fact that hardcore fascists were allegedly singled out for rough treatment in the camps or simply died on the battlefield, or a indication the the author interviewed those based on political inclination. A few of the interviewees describe attacking and heckling PCI members upon their return to Italy along with attempting to tear down various pro-Soviet banners.

Deaths in the PoW camps for the most part seem to things like "Luigi starved , Mario died of typhus, Benito worked to death in the salt mines, and Giovanni died of dysentery" rather then "Commissar Ivan lined 500 of us against a wall and shot us" Not that that makes much difference to the dead.

Some describe encountering "Russian political prisoners" on their way to Siberia, their universally claimed to be in even worse shape then the Italians.

Italian prewar exiles are sent to the camps to gives lectures on Communism. The PoW's react to these guys in different. Some of the exiles are hated and despised, while others are described as "good men".

If an Italian interviewee and German surrender together there's a 99% chance the German will be killed out of hand. Related to that blonde-haired Italians are sometimes mistaken for Germans and treated the same way by frontline captors.

Italians, Hungarians, and Romanians are all kept in the same camps, while Germans are kept in separate camps.

It's pretty interesting trying to read between the lines on these accounts here.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 30, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Plan Z posted:

I guess in my mind it went more like "They didn't always like what they were doing or were aware of the larger picture." It's much more complicated than my original statement, which is why I hovered over "Submit Reply" for a very long time.

Be that as it may, it should still be emphasized that there are reams of scholarship out there that points to the fact that your ordinary dude off the street is fully capable of committing genocidal war crimes if he's in the right place at the right (wrong) time. I'm not just talking about some dude who's been in combat for six months straight going apeshit and machine gunning civilians in a bunker or raping the gently caress out of the first woman he finds, I'm talking about participating in premeditated rounding up and slaughter. Think Eastern European killing actions against Jews.

For a good, very readable primer on this check out Chris Browning's "Ordinary Men."

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just found my Grandfather's Naval Pay & Identity book, would anyone here in the thread be interested in pictures? He served in the RN and was from the British Protectorate of Somalia. They're very fragile and it's nice to go through this stuff at least. :)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The saving grace of the AIRPOWER/Cold War thread in TFR is that if it gets really stupid, it resets itself with a shitload of airplane/cold war pictures that are badass and :black101:

Also I'd wager at least 1/3 of the "OPSEC but you're wrong" posts are aimed at people who are either totally loving nuts or are so convinced of their own political agenda one way or the other that they have really weird theories about physics and weapons as a result. Also it indirectly got me my avatar, so I can never hate.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Be that as it may, it should still be emphasized that there are reams of scholarship out there that points to the fact that your ordinary dude off the street is fully capable of committing genocidal war crimes if he's in the right place at the right (wrong) time. I'm not just talking about some dude who's been in combat for six months straight going apeshit and machine gunning civilians in a bunker or raping the gently caress out of the first woman he finds, I'm talking about participating in premeditated rounding up and slaughter. Think Eastern European killing actions against Jews.

For a good, very readable primer on this check out Chris Browning's "Ordinary Men."

The only good part of that is that the same dudes who murdered their way across Eastern Europe were apparently pretty capable of switching it off and seamlessly reintegrate into civil society after the war.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Do you live in something like a classless society?

Yer actual Queen sitting down in front of yer actual Lords in the 21st century.

quote:

Or at least one in which "fancy" speaking is no longer something taught to the upper classes?

There's a fairly large gap between (by way of comparison) proper literary Russian that a well educated intelligentsia / middle class family may speak, and "street" Russian or мат. Talking to working class folk who loving бля can't loving бля stop loving бля using the word "бля" after every other loving бля word can get loving бля irritating.

This is actually a very interesting point, if you're interested in that sort of thing. You can divide English society into three lumps (the fault lines are blurrier now than they were in 1916 but they're still there); upper class at the top, working class at the bottom, middle class in the middle. The upper class and working class share one important attribute; they know exactly where they are in the scale and don't worry about it all that much. The middle class, on the other hand, has all kinds of anxieties about itself and a desire to want to improve its own station and do the proper thing and seem vastly more well-to-do and privileged than in fact it is. We've produced a shitload of comedy poking fun at wannabe-social-climbers, from The Diary of a Nobody to Basil Fawlty's attempt to hold a gourmet night. Which of course goes horribly wrong, but it's also a joke that he's the kind of person who'd try to put on a gourmet night in the first place.

I promise this is coming to a relevant point. There are plenty of class differences around speech and what words you use, but it's a lot less formal than what you're describing (you don't learn that there's a difference between saying "napkin" and "serviette" formally in your lessons, you learn to say either "napkin" or "serviette" in conversation with family and friends, depending on your background), and it's all rooted in the three-way split. Nancy Mitford produced a wonderful and mostly-still-relevant article in 1954 with a list of words for things as used by the upper class and as used by the middle class. The killer is what you say if you don't hear someone clearly. A middle-class person says "Pardon?", because they think it's more polite and refined. An upper-class person, however, says "What?" From Jilly Cooper we have the example of an upper-class child saying to a friend "Mummy says that 'Pardon?' is a much worse word than 'gently caress'" (since it's a much more reliable class indicator).

There's the point. Yer actual upper-class person generally isn't scared of swearing when the situation warrants it. You might not often hear them dropping F-bombs every third word like a builder or a sailor , but the key thing is that they're secure enough in their position at the top of the heap to be able to swear without the fear that others might think them lower-class. Only people who are worried about their position on the scale go out of their way to avoid swearing no matter what the context. Mugge being shocked by all the swearing is a critical shibboleth that irrevocably places him no higher than upper-middle. It also points out what a good Englishman he is; despite being a naturalised citizen of German parentage, he's obeying the English rules of being upper-middle-class quite naturally. (Next time I've got some time to waste, I might write about the differences between Mugge's writing and that of Bernard Adams, who came from a relatively humble home, but won scholarships to a good public school and then Cambridge; Adams grew up with the true upper classes, and it shows.)

(If anyone finds this interesting, go buy this book right now, a forensic and very readable dissection of the English national character by a sociologist. Brief PDF excerpt here on "Pardon?" and other such words.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 31, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Trin Tragula posted:

You can divide English society into three lumps (the fault lines are blurrier now than they were in 1916 but they're still there); upper class at the top, working class at the bottom, middle class in the middle. The upper class and working class share one important attribute; they know exactly where they are in the scale and don't worry about it all that much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2k1iRD2f-c

quote:

Only people who are worried about their position on the scale go out of their way to avoid swearing no matter what the context. Mugge being shocked by all the swearing is a critical shibboleth that irrevocably places him no higher than upper-middle.
Huh. One might imagine that the upper classes of the USSR didn't mind swearing either. The current upper classes certainly don't, though for very different reasons.

Edit - I will, however, unhesitatingly recommend executing every single aristo as a matter of general practice. It's just good sense.

quote:

(Next time I've got some time to waste, I might write about the differences between Mugge's writing and that of Bernard Adams, who came from a relatively humble home, but won scholarships to a good public school and then Cambridge; Adams grew up with the true upper classes, and it shows.)
Please do. I trust you can write something genuinely interesting, if you ever put your mind to it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 31, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Using first hand accounts is more of an art.

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK, on personal accounts of historical events and a lot of the problems associated with them.

Thanks for these really interesting posts.

Flipswitch posted:

Just found my Grandfather's Naval Pay & Identity book, would anyone here in the thread be interested in pictures? He served in the RN and was from the British Protectorate of Somalia. They're very fragile and it's nice to go through this stuff at least. :)

:justpost:

Trin Tragula posted:

(Next time I've got some time to waste, I might write about the differences between Mugge's writing and that of Bernard Adams, who came from a relatively humble home, but won scholarships to a good public school and then Cambridge; Adams grew up with the true upper classes, and it shows.)

:justpost:

I think that someone posted a while ago that MG-42 wasn't a good weapon. I don't know much about guns, but I had thought that it was the best machinegun of the war, and that the Americans based their post-war machinegun on it.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Hogge Wild posted:

I think that someone posted a while ago that MG-42 wasn't a good weapon. I don't know much about guns, but I had thought that it was the best machinegun of the war, and that the Americans based their post-war machinegun on it.

I don't know much about how great it was as a machine gun compared to contemporary designs, but I know that it's design definitely influenced many future light machine gun designs, and the sound it makes when shooting is loving GLORIOUS :black101:. As long as you aren't on the receiving end.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
The best features of the MG-42 were its light weight and quick-change barrel. People like to get aroused about the cyclic rate but in reality limited ammunition and overheating concerns forced the gunner to average around 150 rpm in combat.

Its worth noting that every successor to the MG-42 reduced the cyclic rate to something more manageable.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Polikarpov posted:

The best features of the MG-42 were its light weight and quick-change barrel. People like to get aroused about the cyclic rate but in reality limited ammunition and overheating concerns forced the gunner to average around 150 rpm in combat.

Its worth noting that every successor to the MG-42 reduced the cyclic rate to something more manageable.

Yeah, when you're short on everything, a gun that goes through barrels and bullets insanely fast is a Bad Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Polikarpov posted:

As far as I can tell some of them are literally just redesignating them as "not-MG42s" and then rechambering for 7.62 x 51 rather than 7.62 x 57.

• Locked thread