Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Nerdrock posted:

Exactly this. I wouldn't pay a guy who doesn't know you can't just "put server on a workstation" 30k a year, let alone let them make any changes. Especially to a dipshit kid who plays Halo on the clock.

On the other hand, if I were getting paid next-to-nothing for a scummy douche in an environment like Turtlicious has, I'd probably play games on the clock, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can we also please keep in mind that I still can't get anyone to call me by my name? I'm currently CT in the office still, that's 500+ people, and none of them will call me by my name. Situations is hosed 12 ways from Tuesday.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

I played videogames at work once. I got here at 5AM when I am scheduled for 8AM and fixed an issue in 10 minutes, and I was the only person in the office. Even then I felt kinda uncomfortable about it.

I feel uncomfortable just browsing SA at work. I can't imagine how playing a video game at work would make me feel.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sefal posted:

I feel uncomfortable just browsing SA at work.

Whoa now, let's not be crazy.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Uh guys, 14.70 * 2080/work hours a year = 30k

You were all the ones telling me to be ballsy or whatever.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/san-francisco-systems-administrator-salary-SRCH_IL.0,13_IM759_KO14,35.htm Going off of this, and a few other sites, it goes from 64k for a junior analyst, to 120k.

I was checking up on this thread for advice before I go in, but yeah I'm going to take it. I just read you shouldn't say yes on the spot, and everyone was telling me to grow a spine and don't let them push me around, so I tried to do that. Anyways! Going in today somewhat early to get this poo poo set up from scratch. The contract is a 2 year term, but with how everyone is freaking out about the pay, I'm guessing I should hop on it. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm getting mixed messages, I wasn't scheduled for anything, and had no tickets in my system. My Job title at the time was still "Counter Terrorist" obviously, this is getting very serious very fast so I'm going to take it a lot more seriously.

Everyone starts somewhere. The thing with the money is that you already worked there for a certain amount. I can't think of a single employer I've ever had that wouldn't have laughed in my face if I asked them to double my salary. The point of this isn't to make money now, it's to learn valuable skills and have fun breaking poo poo so you can make more money elsewhere.

Turtlicious posted:

Can we also please keep in mind that I still can't get anyone to call me by my name? I'm currently CT in the office still, that's 500+ people, and none of them will call me by my name. Situations is hosed 12 ways from Tuesday.

Please don't sign a 2 year noncompete. That place sucks, you'll want to leave in 6 months.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
a Jr sysadmin is not the same as sysadmin

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Turtlicious posted:

Your situation is awful and based on what they want from you $64000 sounds great. You appear to be the sole it person responsible for everything.

My point was if you have a meeting with the boss and explain how hosed everything is and get them on board, then an hour later you're fragging newbs in halo you aren't doing much to help your cause.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kashuno posted:

a Jr sysadmin is not the same as sysadmin

I went base line based on multiple sites, and I'm feeling like you didn't read the whole thing. I pointed out that a sysadmin makes close to 6 figs, and even a junior sysadmin makes 64k

Bigass Moth posted:

Your situation is awful and based on what they want from you $64000 sounds great. You appear to be the sole it person responsible for everything.

My point was if you have a meeting with the boss and explain how hosed everything is and get them on board, then an hour later you're fragging newbs in halo you aren't doing much to help your cause.

I was offered 30k, not 64k. Either way, I'm taking the money, but going to try and negotiate on the non-compete.

unclenutzzy posted:

Please don't sign a 2 year noncompete. That place sucks, you'll want to leave in 6 months.

If they stick on it, I'm going to take it, I'm young, I can afford to learn a few lessons the hard way. Besides the money will make the crazy ok.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd kill to be making almost 6 figs as a sysadmin

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Where do you live? Depending upon location 31k can can range from decent to below the poverty line. Salaries from the Bay Area/NYC/Dc aren't really good to go off of because the cost of living in those areas is astronomical compared to like Texas or some place.

e: Also those benefits are pretty ridiculous.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

psydude posted:

Where do you live? Depending upon location 31k can can range from decent to below the poverty line. Salaries from the Bay Area/NYC/Dc aren't really good to go off of because the cost of living in those areas is astronomical compared to like Texas or some place.

31k is less than teachers make in texas.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Kashuno posted:

I'd kill to be making almost 6 figs as a sysadmin

Also never sign a 2yr contract

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Turtlicious posted:

Besides the money will make the crazy ok.

If it's crazy money like that dude working for the neurotic Israelis, maybe. The offer thrown at you sounds more reasonable given what you're dealing with, except I wouldn't put up with such a dysfunctional organization. Also yeah, where are you located?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

31k is less than teachers make in texas.

Probably because they're teachers and not a fresh new IT guy working for a lovely company.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
East Bay San Fran.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

East Bay San Fran.

Oh boy.

Can't you make 30k in San Fran working at mcdonalds?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

East Bay San Fran.

Yeah then 31k is ridiculous and you should ask for more.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wait did I misread this and they offered you 31k..in total?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hell we start our helpdesk people who just answer the phone and enter tickets all day between 35-40k in Orlando.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

psydude posted:

Probably because they're teachers and not a fresh new IT guy working for a lovely company.

My point was that even in texas that would be getting close to making almost nothing. And lol at fresh new IT guys not making 31k in texas.

Teachers also don't make jack poo poo for a degree required occupation and that is basically the low bar example I laid it out as.

Turtlicious posted:

East Bay San Fran.

I am in a well, help.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
Please don't do this Turtle.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

East Bay San Fran.

:staredog:

I was expecting midwest or the south, bless your heart.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Get the hell out of that place now.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ok Strawpoll, how many thinks that 31k is a good offer?

http://strawpoll.me/7227707

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So I work in Boston and helldesk gave me 40k+ for my IT job ever with just an A+ cert. What they want you to do is way beyond the scope of that. Get a new job.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

ok Strawpoll, how many thinks that 31k is a good offer?

http://strawpoll.me/7227707

You're missing the option to get out and find a job that isn't completely giving it to you in the rear end.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

Teachers also don't make jack poo poo for a degree required occupation and that is basically the low bar example I laid it out as.

Ah. Teachers here make pretty good money.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

air- posted:

:staredog:

I was expecting midwest or the south, bless your heart.

Yeah holy poo poo what the gently caress?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

East Bay San Fran.

You are aware that you will soon be making less than minimum wage, right? Ok, well, in 5 years you will be. But minimum wage is going up from 10/hr to 15/hr in california...

Also, I'm making 50k a year and have full benefits as a helpdesk person in Santa Cruz.

Also, what kind of noncompete contract is it? Just "no working in a competing industry" or "no working in a similar job"? First one you can laugh at after you get some resume building done, second one is "gently caress no".

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My life is boring compared to Mr turtles.

I saved my company over 250k over the last few months, the project is a month ahead of schedule, and I am now in talks to get a much larger raise than normal.

I wish I had wacky adventures for this thread. :smith:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FireSight posted:

You are aware that you will soon be making less than minimum wage, right? Ok, well, in 5 years you will be. But minimum wage is going up from 10/hr to 15/hr in california...

Also, I'm making 50k a year and have full benefits as a helpdesk person in Santa Cruz.

Also, what kind of noncompete contract is it? Just "no working in a competing industry" or "no working in a similar job"? First one you can laugh at after you get some resume building done, second one is "gently caress no".

I can't quit, I can only be fired from what I understand.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
You can, and should, quit.

Assuming you have some sort of fallback plan. There has to be a help desk job out there that pays better.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Last time I checked, California is an employment at will state and you should read up on what that means.

We're all on your side here and we all want to help.

e: vvv :five:

air- fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 30, 2016

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

Did not realize indentured servitude was still legal in the states.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Oh yeah totally

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol back in 2004 I was making 13$/hr doing call center IT work. You are being paid almost less than a guy working the phones for 1000x the responsibility.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

My life is boring compared to Mr turtles.

I saved my company over 250k over the last few months, the project is a month ahead of schedule, and I am now in talks to get a much larger raise than normal.

I wish I had wacky adventures for this thread. :smith:

How do i prepare myself for a raise talk?

I'm thinking about leading with this;

"Hey, the company gave a very good review about me. They are very happy with me. I've migrated the wsus,DHCP and the Domain controller to 2012R2. I will no longer answer the helpdesk phone or do tier 1 tickets starting in april, I will only work on tier 2 escalations and make changes to the infrastructure. I've become MCSA Server 2012 certified.
But i'm at the lowest of the low with regards to my salary. Can we do something about that?"

Is that a good way to lead things?

But the thing i have against me is. I don't even have 1 full year of experience.
I started in July 2015. Could that be a problem?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sefal posted:

How do i prepare myself for a raise talk?

I'm thinking about leading with this;

"Hey, the company gave a very good review about me. They are very happy with me. I've migrated the wsus,DHCP and the Domain controller to 2012R2. I will no longer answer the helpdesk phone or do tier 1 tickets starting in april, I will only work on tier 2 escalations and make changes to the infrastructure. I've become MCSA Server 2012 certified.
But i'm at the lowest of the low with regards to my salary. Can we do something about that?"

Is that a good way to lead things?

But the thing i have against me is. I don't even have 1 full year of experience.
I started in July 2015. Could that be a problem?

Keep a running tab and wait out the year IMO. Bring everything you have done to save the company money if you want a bigger raise. A employee is just somebody who sucks money from the company, make them see why you are valuable and making the company money.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Keep a running tab and wait out the year IMO. Bring everything you have done to save the company money if you want a bigger raise. A employee is just somebody who sucks money from the company, make them see why you are valuable and making the company money.

I have a performance review coming up in june. Would that be a good moment?
The last performance review I had was very positive I'm expecting this to be the same/better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I think I see the cause to your dilemma, you are a loving gullible idiot.