Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

All of those Jews were polluting the blood of my local community, obviously that's a serious form of aggression so I was within my rights to put them in a forced contractual, mutually beneficial labor camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Gahmah posted:

wherefore we can look upon the depiction of the Nazi's and their super science in popular media, if only there were less regulations on medical testing, and the best speakers commanded production, we could advance more quickly as a society, source: wolfenstein

Not as of the latest wolfenstein, thank Christ.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

QuarkJets posted:

"Follow the NAP" is so vague that you can justify literally anything with it

Make this the thread title and just close it down.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
We generate new philosophical problems every loving day and you idiots think we'll someday have exhausted all that?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

We generate new philosophical problems every loving day and you idiots think we'll someday have exhausted all that?

Philosophical problems will be a thing of the past when the SINGULARITY arrives!

Any day now!

Any day...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Then comes the problem of us being total overlords of our (perfectly replicated, highly advanced) virtual world.

What then is real? If the virtual world is an absolutely perfect simulacrum of the physical universe then what differentiates them from each other? If such a simulation is possible What says the original universe isnt a similar simulation?

(And this is like 5th grader metaphysics. PHILOSOPHY NEVER ENDS YOU WILL THINK FOREVER)

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
It is a basic problem of the way we think, where we are able to create nonsensical statements which automatically seem deep. It's just a more modern turn on the old "what is the sound of one hand clapping".

[edit] This 'brain-in-a-jar" kind of bullshit philosophy I mean.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Just a friendly reminder that the Libertarian Party Presidential Primary Debate on Stossel airs at 9pm on Friday on Fox Business. Of course, only three candidates will actually be there, so might be interesting to see all the glorious tears from the Libertarians that didn't get invited. iirc, it's going to be Gary "Feel My" Johnson, McAfee2016, and that one guy who used to work for Fox and Fox Business, but I'm sure he made the cut because he's a serious candidate and not by pulling some strings at the network.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
Struggling with systematic skeptical doubt is what ended the stranglehold of Aristotelian scholasticism on European thought, though.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Nosfereefer posted:

It is a basic problem of the way we think, where we are able to create nonsensical statements which automatically seem deep. It's just a more modern turn on the old "what is the sound of one hand clapping".

[edit] This 'brain-in-a-jar" kind of bullshit philosophy I mean.

Yeah, exactly. Every brain-in-a-jar or chain-of-simulations hypothesis is fundamentally unfalsifiable, and gets to share a table with the infinitely many unfalsifiable hypotheses about metaphysics that can be expressed in a language. Easy stuff.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
Out-of-hand dismissal of an enormous literature based on little or no actual familiarity with the material is not the mark of wisdom, probably.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Juffo-Wup posted:

Out-of-hand dismissal of an enormous literature based on little or no actual familiarity with the material is not the mark of wisdom, probably.

He said, in the thread where we talk about arguing with the most long-winded group of ideologues of our time.

No, I don't think there's an enormous body of [noteworthy] literature about the brain-in-the-jar style of postulate, any more than that can be said of ghosts.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

No, and either way, I was referring to science.

Stinky_Pete posted:

He said, in the thread where we talk about arguing with the most long-winded group of ideologues of our time.

No, I don't think there's an enormous body of [noteworthy] literature about the brain-in-the-jar style of postulate, any more than that can be said of ghosts.
... Descartes?

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Stinky_Pete posted:

Yes, and as this thread has made clear, jrod's opponents were almost universally better-acquainted with libertarian literature than he was.

Stinky_Pete posted:

Here. But then I suppose you're gonna lean pretty hard on 'noteworthy,' which just strikes me as a kind of intellectual hubris that I find really grating.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I suspect that a lot of philosophically interesting things could be done with ghosts.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

... Descartes?

The man whose "proof of God" was "I have an idea of an infinite being that is perfect in every way and made everything. Well gee, I can't have come up with that out of nowhere! Hmm, of all the possible sources from which I could get that idea, naturally ruling out the people and books that told me about it, I can only conclude the idea came from the infinitely powerful thing itself!" ? That's exactly what I'm talking about. There are people who are allowed to be philosophy professors who think that's a really strong argument.

Juffo-Wup posted:

Here. But then I suppose you're gonna lean pretty hard on 'noteworthy,' which just strikes me as a kind of intellectual hubris that I find really grating.

Okay, what do these papers accomplish? Arguing about the best way to define some words? What does someone learn by deciding whether or not they might be a brain in a jar?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stinky_Pete posted:

The man whose "proof of God" was "I have an idea of an infinite being that is perfect in every way and made everything. Well gee, I can't have come up with that out of nowhere! Hmm, of all the possible sources from which I could get that idea, naturally ruling out the people and books that told me about it, I can only conclude the idea came from the infinitely powerful thing itself!" ? That's exactly what I'm talking about. There are people who are allowed to be philosophy professors who think that's a really strong argument.

Okay, what do these papers accomplish? Arguing about the best way to define some words? What does someone learn by deciding whether or not they might be a brain in a jar?
I don't want to sound rude, but do you genuinely think you're making a good case for your position here?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

I don't want to sound rude, but do you genuinely think you're making a good case for your position here?

I forgot what my position was, and what we were talking about. I just like griping about how old uninformed philosophers with little understanding of their own cognitive biases and abuse of language are still put on a pedestal.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 30, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

Just a friendly reminder that the Libertarian Party Presidential Primary Debate on Stossel airs at 9pm on Friday on Fox Business. Of course, only three candidates will actually be there, so might be interesting to see all the glorious tears from the Libertarians that didn't get invited. iirc, it's going to be Gary "Feel My" Johnson, McAfee2016, and that one guy who used to work for Fox and Fox Business, but I'm sure he made the cut because he's a serious candidate and not by pulling some strings at the network.

It's good that Fox Business is treating Libertarian politics with the seriousness it deserves.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stinky_Pete posted:

I forgot what my position was, and what we were talking about. I just like griping about how old uninformed philosophers with little understanding of their own cognitive biases and abuse of language are still put on a pedestal.
Everyone needs a hobby I guess.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Stinky_Pete posted:

These are the sorts of things one might expect to learn by reading the papers in question, or even just by reading the one paragraph editorial summary on the page I linked. But don't let that stop you I guess.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Juffo-Wup posted:

These are the sorts of things one might expect to learn by reading the papers in question, or even just by reading the one paragraph editorial summary on the page I linked.

The argument summarized there can be easily countered by adjusting the hypothesis to say "I am a meta-brain in a vat." I see no need to "refute" a hypothesis that purports no consequences.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Klaus88 posted:

Not as of the latest wolfenstein, thank Christ.

It was like a clone of Half-Life 2.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Stinky_Pete posted:

The argument summarized there can be easily countered by adjusting the hypothesis to say "I am a meta-brain in a vat." I see no need to "refute" a hypothesis that purports no consequences.

Yep, you did it. You just Solved epistemology. What fools we all have been. If only Hilary Putnam were still alive to see his obvious error.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Juffo-Wup posted:

Yep, you did it. You just Solved epistemology. What fools we all have been. If only Hilary Putnam were still alive to see his obvious error.

Why does solipsism even need to be solved in the first place?

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

Well, you might think that empirical knowledge requires a firm theoretical foundation. Or you might think that a good solution would tell you something interesting about reference or justification. Or you might be interested in questions about moral value. Or you might think that you can generate an interesting conclusion about how our minds process perceptual information.

I've answered your question; here's mine: what particular expertise do you think you have that enables you to call into question whole academic fields while knowing next to nothing about them?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

It doesn't, don't worry. Nothing about this would change your life in any way. Philosophy is the "love of truth", not the "changing of matters that are in dire need of changing".

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Juffo-Wup posted:

Well, you might think that empirical knowledge requires a firm theoretical foundation. Or you might think that a good solution would tell you something interesting about reference or justification. Or you might be interested in questions about moral value. Or you might think that you can generate an interesting conclusion about how our minds process perceptual information.

I've answered your question; here's mine: what particular expertise do you think you have that enables you to call into question whole academic fields while knowing next to nothing about them?

I didn't know I needed a doctorate to ask a pretty simple question. gently caress me for wanting to learn, right?

Edit:

Cingulate posted:

It doesn't, don't worry. Nothing about this would change your life in any way. Philosophy is the "love of truth", not the "changing of matters that are in dire need of changing".

Where did I say it needed to "change my life"? Don't project onto others, it's not very appealing.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

I didn't know I needed a doctorate to ask a pretty simple question. gently caress me for wanting to learn, right?

If that was really your intention, then I apologize. But I don't think it was.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

To be fair, I too (seemingly mis)read you as arrogant and cynic.

I still stand by my own answer, just ignore the condescending tone if your question was genuine.

On the other hand, I would defend an aggressive position of the major benefit science would derive from paying closer attention to questions of epistemology - specifically philosophy of science, and most specifically, Popper, Kuhn, Lakatos.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cingulate posted:

That's philalethy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Juffo-Wup posted:

If that was really your intention, then I apologize. But I don't think it was.

You know I'm not Stinky_Pete, right? I've honestly never talked to anyone very knowledgable about this subject, and I honestly did want to know what perceived value people who do know about this saw in it to help me get some insight into the subject. Chill, man.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Guys, guys. Let's heal the divisions and focus on what we have in common: realizing philosophy is garbage.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

To be fair, I too (seemingly mis)read you as arrogant and cynic.

I still stand by my own answer, just ignore the condescending tone if your question was genuine.

Have you ever considered not being a condescending rear end in a top hat? You should give it a whirl if for no other reason than the novelty of it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Have you ever considered not being a condescending rear end in a top hat? You should give it a whirl if for no other reason than the novelty of it.
At this point, I may have forgotten how.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Juffo-Wup posted:

I think you can question the value of some "problems" in epistemology, which are only debated by picking different definitions for words, without calling all of philosophy into question.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Maybe it's about the journey and not the destination.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Stinky_Pete posted:

I think you can question the value of some "problems" in epistemology, which are only debated by picking different definitions for words, without calling all of philosophy into question.

That's true, but it more or less requires substantive engagement with the work itself. There are certainly deflationary accounts of many of the common debates in epistemology, and they're written by people with a deep familiarity and understanding of the work of the people they're critiquing.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

SedanChair posted:

Guys, guys. Let's heal the divisions and focus on what we have in common: realizing philosophy is garbage.

Logical Positivist spotted.

More sincerely, philosophy is important because it attempts to answer questions of "why" when science can only go after the whats and hows. Like, if a libertarian were fully grounded in reality and science, and was still fully dedicated to shrinking the government because he thinks pollution and oligarchy are actually awesome, we would still have philosophical grounds to criticize them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

GunnerJ posted:

Maybe it's about the journey and not the destination.
Maybe it's about strength and not weakness.