Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pig slut lisa posted:

"Personal submarine purchased with AOL merger funds" is my new favorite BWM thing

Yeah, I've seen some dumb poo poo done with tech bubble proceeds, but that is hall-of-fame material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

That is worst with money 2016 material right there :stonklol:

e. Usually horsechat gets my juices flowing but this is a title I can get behind.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 29, 2016

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

pig slut lisa posted:

"Personal submarine purchased with AOL merger funds" is my new favorite BWM thing

Is it bad with money? Oh yeah. But at least it's good with life- owning a submarine is something you can tell your grandkids about. Beats most of the stories on here:

"Had barely over minimum wage job, bought old luxury car that cost $900 to change brakes"

"Bought house and had kid in same year we both quit our jobs to pursue our organic mustard business"

"Spent a ton of money on MLM bs"

"Sunk every free dime into pointless truck addons"

"Bought stocks on margin without even knowing what that is"

"Drove for Uber"

"Bought a goddamn submarine" <- see sounds a lot less depressing huh

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, there's actually a whole niche market for those things: https://www.thrillist.com/cars/the-coolest-mini-subs-you-can-actually-buy-pedal-powered-submarines-personal-submarines-real-yellow-submarine

Edit: This one dives deeper than most military subs! http://tritonsubs.com/submersibles/triton-6600-2/

baquerd fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 29, 2016

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Pssh, gotta go with the submersible yacht!

http://www.migaloo-submarines.com

http://www.maxim.com/gear/migaloo-submarine-yacht-2015-9

BWN Content:

"Despite years of work, there's no price tag for the Migaloo just yet: HiConsumption estimates that this undersea bad boy will likely be out of your price range, since a "similar 377-foot class attack sub costs over $2.3 billion to build." So if you want to live life like a Bond villain, you'd better start saving now."

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Beanie baby bankruptcy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgDsyj5eLmo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I was over at my wife's parents house today and noticed this painting on the wall:

My wife said her mom paid :chanpop:$1500 dollars :chanpop: for it.

edit: my favorite part isnt in the photo but it's number 67 of 100.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 29, 2016

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

BraveUlysses posted:

I was over at my wife's parents house today and noticed this painting on the wall:

Before Kickstarter, parents just paid straight cash for stupid poo poo from relatives.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

It's also my new favorite thread title :v:

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Graciela Rodo Boulanger?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Surely there has to be a news story somewhere about somewhere being daft enough to buy a submarine using windfall money?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Not knowing what a numbered print is has to be a troll, right?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I know nothing about art. I looked up that Graciela Rodo Boulanger and $1500 for one of 100 signed prints apparently is GWM.

Your grandkids are going to find that abomination in your attic 40 years from now and buy a submersible horse with all the money they make.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

"I sense great vulnerability. A man-child crying out for love. An innocent orphan in the post-modern world."

"I see a parasite. A sexually depraved miscreant who is seeking only to gratify his basest and most immediate urges."

"His struggle is man's struggle. He lifts my spirit."

"He is a loathesome, offensive brute. Yet I can't look away."

"He transcends time and space."

"He sickens me."

"I love it."

"Me too."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
He's gonna eat that owl isn't he? Hunting for your own food is GWM.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Nail Rat posted:

He's gonna eat that owl isn't he? Hunting for your own food is GWM.

If you use a reusable blade or make your own arrows you save ammo costs too

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Personal Submarine is so obviously BWM. After all, you can't possibly fit in enough stables.

e: VVV :vince:

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 30, 2016

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Throw in Seaorg and you have perfect BWM/underwater slavery.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
If my personal submarine doesn't look like the Nautilus, I don't want it. :colbert:

It's BWM and trademark infringement.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Devian666 posted:

Throw in Seaorg and you have perfect BWM/underwater slavery.

Being a religious org is GWM

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The only submarine worth owning is the one in Earthbound/Mother 2.

Too bad carts are like $200 on eBay.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

Now available on 3DS.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Phone posted:

BWM, I sold my 20+ SNES JRPG collection in 2009 for like $80 to a neighborhood store.

Edit, just saw a woman in Tinder that wrote "I'm a CPA but am pursuing a career as a chef."

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 30, 2016

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Aliquid posted:

BWM, I sold my 20+ SNES JRPG collection in 2009 for like $80 to a neighborhood store.

Edit, just saw a woman in Tinder that wrote "I'm a CPA but am pursuing a career as a chef."

Ask her if she can cook your books. Eh? Eh?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

OneWhoKnows posted:

Ask her if she can cook your books. Eh? Eh?

Booo, that was awful.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I have a friend who I think qualifies for this thread.

He works at Microsoft as a developer, which is decent money. He's been there since around 2000, which sounds like an awfully long time - but he missed the cutoff for gently caress-you money in stock by a good five or ten years. In other words, while he makes a decent salary for the area, he's not rich.

In the ten years I've known him, he's "bought" and sold five houses. He gets a little bit of a nest egg saved up - maybe $5k - and immediately decides he needs to buy a house. Our area real estate is stupid; house prices here are very high already. So $5k is not a major down payment on a house here. It's not even 5%, let alone 20%, in most cases.

The worst part is he never sat down to look at the actual numbers. He sees the house price is $420k when he bought it, "and now it's worth $450k! I've made thirty thousand dollars!" He conveniently forgets that (a) he's paying more than the original 420k thanks to being unable to pay 20% down, (b) he replaced the roof / windows / flooring / whatever, and (c) when he sells it he won't get all of that money. He's essentially saved nothing, no actual cash, because he keeps on moving.

It's not even that he's trading up with each move. He's just changing houses the way other people in this thread change cars, with exactly that same mindset.

Yet he won't rent because - according to his wife - renting is for poor people, and how could they be poor? His wife refuses to work, of course, because she's from a "traditional" country. I don't really hang out with this friend anymore, since his wife believes I'm a closet lesbian because I make money rather than keeping house like a proper wife.

They're both around 45, so it's not like they're expanding a family, either. They just get a new house, same as the old, every couple of years.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

:lol: a $5k "nest egg" doesn't even cover the transaction costs for buying/selling a house in (presumably) the Seattle area, let alone actually go toward any amount of equity.

quote:

Yet he won't rent because - according to his wife - renting is for poor people, and how could they be poor?

This is possibly one of the most financially toxic memes in America.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Thursday Next posted:

I have a friend who I think qualifies for this thread.

He works at Microsoft as a developer, which is decent money. He's been there since around 2000, which sounds like an awfully long time - but he missed the cutoff for gently caress-you money in stock by a good five or ten years. In other words, while he makes a decent salary for the area, he's not rich.

In the ten years I've known him, he's "bought" and sold five houses. He gets a little bit of a nest egg saved up - maybe $5k - and immediately decides he needs to buy a house. Our area real estate is stupid; house prices here are very high already. So $5k is not a major down payment on a house here. It's not even 5%, let alone 20%, in most cases.

The worst part is he never sat down to look at the actual numbers. He sees the house price is $420k when he bought it, "and now it's worth $450k! I've made thirty thousand dollars!" He conveniently forgets that (a) he's paying more than the original 420k thanks to being unable to pay 20% down, (b) he replaced the roof / windows / flooring / whatever, and (c) when he sells it he won't get all of that money. He's essentially saved nothing, no actual cash, because he keeps on moving.

It's not even that he's trading up with each move. He's just changing houses the way other people in this thread change cars, with exactly that same mindset.

Yet he won't rent because - according to his wife - renting is for poor people, and how could they be poor? His wife refuses to work, of course, because she's from a "traditional" country. I don't really hang out with this friend anymore, since his wife believes I'm a closet lesbian because I make money rather than keeping house like a proper wife.

They're both around 45, so it's not like they're expanding a family, either. They just get a new house, same as the old, every couple of years.

14,000 was a 3% FHA downpayment in 2009 at the low of the market in my area. So I dunno wtf those peeps are doing.

If it weren't for the microsoft thing - i'd say his wife is my sister in law because she is also retarded about rent.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Guinness posted:

:lol: a $5k "nest egg" doesn't even cover the transaction costs for buying/selling a house in (presumably) the Seattle area, let alone actually go toward any amount of equity.

This is possibly one of the most financially toxic memes in America.

Yeah. I was being a little coy about the area but it's Seattle.

And our housing prices here are $550k for a tiny, lovely old starter box with single-pane windows and a lime-green kitchen. He's "buying" houses out on the east side, which are slightly cheaper... but he's not actually saving any money. That's the thing that frustrates me about it. He gets so smug and self-congratulatory about his house appreciating. He sees in black and white: Zillow said house was worth X when he bought it, and it says it's worth X+Y now. That Y is pure profit!

...poo poo, I haven't spoken to him in over a year. I hope he didn't get into Bitcoin.

My friend grew up in a very, very poor family, though. He's always been strange when it comes to money.

Meanwhile, I've been renting for a large number of years. I've been able, therefore, to react to the changing markets as prices fluctuate. I've got a significant amount of money to my name now thanks to some very good luck. I don't have the heart to tell him that whenever he gets all smug about how "renting is just throwing money away!" and "when you rent, you're paying your landlord's mortgage!"

People get weird about houses.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Thursday Next posted:

People get weird about houses.

People have some strange ideas in general. The fact that he's moving house so often he must be losing out on fees associated with the sale. Like the fact that he's saving up $5k and then moving house doesn't make a lot of sense. He'd make more progress if he put that money into paying down the mortgage every refinancing. He'd get 1% closer to 20% equity each time.

In New Zealand one study told people how much of their house they owned based on equity:floor area ratio. A lot of them were surprised to find out that they only owned the floor area of the room the toilet is in. They also keep refinancing to 30 year terms so they pay a lot of interest, and that's most likely what your co-worker is doing with each move. People are oblivious to the financial effects of their actions, financial calculations are just mysticism to them.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If his average house sale has been just 300k (it's probably more), he's spent $90,000 just on paying agent fees for his five home sales.

Talk about "throwing money away."

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
For that amount of money he could have bought a houseboat and horse to occupy it.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
It's almost April 2016! If patron saint of BWM zaurg had gone with Option #1, he'd be debt free right now. :smith:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

nikosoft posted:

It's almost April 2016! If patron saint of BWM zaurg had gone with Option #1, he'd be debt free right now. :smith:

He's apparently taking up amateur athletics. Not sure about his finances, though.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

To minimize derails and contribute further... I think my parents qualify for this thread.

They are good, kind, generous people with a charitable streak a mile wide. So the "greed" aspect of MLMs never really got to them. Oh, they tried their hands at Shaklee, Amway, MonaVie, and so forth. But this was back in the 70s and 80s, where there weren't really any quick ways to look up information ("is amway a scam").

I thought we were done with all this bullshit, I really did. Then they tried to get me to sign up for some bullshit snake oil called Protandim. It's a snake oil caffeine supplement (green tea extract), made by a Christian(!!!) with no medical training who really wanted to help people! He's Christian, so it can't be bad!

My lovely parents blew through 50% of their retirement savings on this loving bullshit. They bought stock in the company - Lifevantage - because the MLM scammers saw a second revenue stream. The company stock fell immediately of course, because it's a scam. They bought in around $25 and now the stock is worth $9.

My parents tried to get me to sell this. You haven't known sadness until you see your father, a man whose intellect you respect above all else, try to claim that this loving pill can help cure cancer. He's a chemical engineer. With a PhD. From MIT. To his credit, he couldn't look me in the eye as he was trying to explain how it worked.

Now my dad has had to come out of a well-earned retirement to drive an advertising van.

The worst part is I don't know how to help. I feel as though my parents are functioning like cult members. If I give them money to help them out, that money is going to end up in the pockets of MLM scammers.

gently caress MLMs, and gently caress anyone who helps their bullshit exist.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 31, 2016

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Some background, Mortal Kombat X has a mobile game which is just "earn fighters, then tap tap tap the screen against other fighters and you win." If you've played a pay-to-win sort of game in the past 10 years, you know how it works: you have to spend money and grind endlessly to be the best.

Every now and then when you fight against other people you see they have poo poo like a Fusion-7 fighter that means they literally had to spend 140 dollars because that particular fighter is only available via 'early access' right now.

Here's someone who spent 2000 dollars to get his fighters outfitted with the best equipment:

He says he's ranked 30th on FW, that's Faction Wars. The funny thing is the way it's set up, being ranked 30th gets you the same rewards as a person ranked 1000th. You don't get anything different unless you're in the top 3 (and even then you only get 15 more Souls [the in-game currency], if he had spent that 2000 dollars just buying the in game currency, he'd have gotten 200,000 Souls).

Works 2 jobs to finance his mobile gaming and even then gets terrible bang for his buck.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Thursday Next posted:

gently caress MLMs, and gently caress anyone who helps their bullshit exist.

These stories make me angry on so many levels but how does a PhD from MIT not know that one weird trick to cure cancer isn't worth betting the farm on?

I won't presume anything but for most people greed is exactly what gets people past that common sense judgment.

I'm sure you realize this but you have got to get them to sell that stock. $9 >> 0.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pathetic little tramp posted:

Some background, Mortal Kombat X has a mobile game which is just "earn fighters, then tap tap tap the screen against other fighters and you win." If you've played a pay-to-win sort of game in the past 10 years, you know how it works: you have to spend money and grind endlessly to be the best.

Every now and then when you fight against other people you see they have poo poo like a Fusion-7 fighter that means they literally had to spend 140 dollars because that particular fighter is only available via 'early access' right now.

Here's someone who spent 2000 dollars to get his fighters outfitted with the best equipment:

He says he's ranked 30th on FW, that's Faction Wars. The funny thing is the way it's set up, being ranked 30th gets you the same rewards as a person ranked 1000th. You don't get anything different unless you're in the top 3 (and even then you only get 15 more Souls [the in-game currency], if he had spent that 2000 dollars just buying the in game currency, he'd have gotten 200,000 Souls).

Works 2 jobs to finance his mobile gaming and even then gets terrible bang for his buck.

Something something how other people choose spend their money on entertainment something

PTW games in particular are generally BWM for the user, although some do try to make sure that spending money just gives options, not abject victory. I played Blacklight: Retribution for a while, which was a genuinely fun game, and where not paying didn't guarantee failure. I never actually bought anything because the lowest buy in was like $20 and gently caress THAT.

I do think that we should extreme cases as addictions, though, the same as we would with a gambling addiction, and this guy seems to qualify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
It's me. I'm BWM.

Spread across the last 8 years or so, I've spent probably $1,000 total on different browser games. Compared to the freak shows who drop $50,000 on those things, it's not much. But at the same time, looking back on it what good does it to me now? :doh:

• Locked thread