Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bull3964 posted:

I really get the feeling that adding ice to drinks to make them really cold is a uniquely western thing.

People have thought that that chilled drinks were cool for a long time, but till relatively recently, it was an unattainable luxury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

bull3964 posted:

I really get the feeling that adding ice to drinks to make them really cold is a uniquely western thing.

All of our Indian developers put a shot from the hot side of the water cooler into their water to make it room temp rather than cold. I've never seen any of them use ice before.

I dunno about uniquely western, but I know from experience that at least in China and some other parts of East Asia it's widely believed that drinking cold water (especially together with food) is bad for you. Even people who don't believe in that particular superstition/old wives tale (and they're probably in the majority these days) sometimes prefer to drink lukewarm or even hot water (or just tea), probably out of habit.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 28, 2016

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

God what a beautiful aeroplane. I might have to dig around the attic and see if I have Combat Flight Simulator 2 somewhere.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

monkeytennis posted:

God what a beautiful aeroplane. I might have to dig around the attic and see if I have Combat Flight Simulator 2 somewhere.

Its a bit grindy but War Thunder is a pretty good multilayer game for warbirds; they have planes from prewar all the way up to Korean War era jets.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

monkeytennis posted:

I spent a million hours with combat flight simulator 2. I wish they would make a new pacific theater simulator that is VR compatible.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

monkeytennis posted:

Enjoyed the Corsair being included in Battlefield 1943, albeit in slightly less realistic form.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Now imagine this video if the Corsair was burning grape juice and running actual WEP manifold pressure settings.

:getin:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

...grape juice? Is that some old slang term for methanol?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Enourmo posted:

...grape juice? Is that some old slang term for methanol?

115/145 octane Avgas, sometimes called Avgas 115. It's dyed purple, unlike 100LL which is blue, or 80/87, which is red. The only place I've ever seen it is Reno.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MrYenko posted:

115/145 octane Avgas, sometimes called Avgas 115. It's dyed purple, unlike 100LL which is blue, or 80/87, which is red. The only place I've ever seen it is Reno.

That's about the only place you will see it too; IIRC they have a refiner blend a special batch of purple drank specifically for them and that's all that ever gets made. Even the green stuff (100/130) is getting hard to find too; about the only place in Canada that will have a semi-reliable supply of that are the forestry services, for their piston-powered water bomber fleets.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Can I ask a question relating to R101?

I found a description of R101 "chief engineer" Lt. Col. VC Richmond as "an enthusiast of lighter than air flight - not really trained as a engineer - a good manager of men."

First question: does this surprise anyone?

Second: Is this in any way typical of older aerospace projects? Because I guess I thought like it is today would be like it was, IE the person in charge of engineering decisions would be an engineer, abet one now acting as a manager.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Enourmo posted:

Its a bit grindy but War Thunder is a pretty good multilayer game for warbirds; they have planes from prewar all the way up to Korean War era jets.

Also Corsairs own bones in WT.

If you're not a bad.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

I found a description of R101 "chief engineer" Lt. Col. VC Richmond as "an enthusiast of lighter than air flight - not really trained as a engineer - a good manager of men."

Second: Is this in any way typical of older aerospace projects? Because I guess I thought like it is today would be like it was, IE the person in charge of engineering decisions would be an engineer, abet one now acting as a manager.

Well, the way it is today, the guy in charge of the engineers would generally be an engineer. And the guy in charge of him can spell engineer. And the guy in charge of him knows there are people in his employ who build things that fly, and that they cost too much money.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Linedance posted:

Well, the way it is today, the guy in charge of the engineers would generally be an engineer. And the guy in charge of him can spell engineer. And the guy in charge of him knows there are people in his employ who build things that fly, and that they cost too much money.

Yeah so I guess imagine the guy who can spell engineer working as the chief engineer and I guess you got it

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Ugh, Delta shuffled my DTW -> AUS flight off to Endeavor Air (formerly Pinnacle Air). This is the second change they've made with this flight. So now I'll be flying in style in a CRJ-200s flown by these guys. Frankly, I'd rather walk.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Everywhere that I've work in aerospace everyone has been an engineer (except techs) from the bottom to about Project/Program Manager, Directors are sometimes from the business side. And there is a sprinkle of support jobs like logistics, financial people, IT support...etc. But everyone I work with day to day is some kind of engineer.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Ugh, Delta shuffled my DTW -> AUS flight off to Endeavor Air (formerly Pinnacle Air). This is the second change they've made with this flight. So now I'll be flying in style in a CRJ-200s flown by these guys. Frankly, I'd rather walk.

Relax, I can guarantee the pilots will never do that again.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Midjack posted:

Relax, I can guarantee the pilots will never do that again.

Not those pilots, certainly.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Well at least you'll be riding in (semi) comfort as that route is flown by all CRJ-900s which are significantly better than the POS 200.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Mobius1B7R posted:

Well at least you'll be riding in (semi) comfort as that route is flown by all CRJ-900s which are significantly better than the POS 200.

You're right. For some reason I thought it was going to be a -200 instead of a -900.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

MrYenko posted:

That was Chuck Aaron doing the stunt flying. You can see his GLORIOUS MUSTACHE in several scenes.

True Story:

Good stunt pilot. HORRIBLE AT FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS, or showing up on time.

They spent 30 minutes looking for him during that shoot while he wandered off to sign autographs for people in the square.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm just kind of curious why you think someone who attended University at the Royal College of Science and worked as a young professional doing structural analysis for one of the largest engineering firms in London at the time isn't actually capable of doing engineering work?

"Not really trained as an engineer" isn't saying much. Our VP of Engineering isn't really trained as an engineer but his PhD in physics and 40 years of experience is a pretty good substitute.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
31028G39KT

+

=

:whatup:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Murgos posted:

I'm just kind of curious why you think someone who attended University at the Royal College of Science and worked as a young professional doing structural analysis for one of the largest engineering firms in London at the time isn't actually capable of doing engineering work?

"Not really trained as an engineer" isn't saying much. Our VP of Engineering isn't really trained as an engineer but his PhD in physics and 40 years of experience is a pretty good substitute.

It's a good question. I think I might be encountering some ex post hoc reasoning as to why the R101 disaster happened. Richmond also had lots of practical design experience from the first world war designing blimps. Another kinda spit-take quote I got from this same source was that R100-R101 were really a prototyping program for imperial airships, but that it was necessary to lie to parliament about that and tell them that the airships would actually be used in service in order to get them to pay for it. If so 1) somebody definitely lost track of this lie at some point, and 2) it may have been forgotten in the face of showing the superiority of government run enterprise over private - which is unfortunate.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

31028G39KT

+

=

:whatup:

I used to live directly under that approach path. It was cool as gently caress even though the planes were usually pretty pedestrian.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/montreal/magdalen-islands-plane-crash-1.3510975

6 confirmed dead.

Make that 7 dead including TV analyst and former cabinet minister Jean Lapierre.

Plane was an MU-2B of all things.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 29, 2016

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

In nicer news:
http://www.wral.com/small-plane-makes-emergency-landing-on-i-540-in-raleigh-pilot-unhurt/15606584/

A piper loses an engine over I-540 in Raleigh, NC, and the pilot lands and steers into the median safely.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I didn't think anybody but USAF contractors flew MU-2s anymore because they had wonky flight characteristics.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
When I worked at Waco Regional airport there was one based out of there.

Didn't work a ton of them otherwise but they weren't super rare either, in TX.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

I didn't think anybody but USAF contractors flew MU-2s anymore because they had wonky flight characteristics.
It has a schmancy wing, and peasant-aircraft recovery procedures don't work with it. Once the FAA mandated type-specific training the incident rates returned to normal.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Boeing cutting 4-8k jobs over the next year, right when they're supposed to be ramping up 777X and 737 max production, what gives with that?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
747 and 767 lines are both likely to get shut down, I think.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

To be honest I thought 767 production had ended ten or so years ago already

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Well if relations are to be believed they're moving a bunch of jobs to Charleston because South Carolina is a right to work state and lol LIEberals.

Or something to that effect.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

simplefish posted:

To be honest I thought 767 production had ended ten or so years ago already

They're only building tankers and freighters at this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

rscott posted:

Boeing cutting 4-8k jobs over the next year, right when they're supposed to be ramping up 777X and 737 max production, what gives with that?

Look at how they planned the 787. They want to outsource production of individual parts.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The 767 is transitioning to KC-46 production. I don't know if anyone is still ordering 767 freighters, but if not Boeing might be cutting jobs since the KC-46 will be low-rate for a while.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Look at how they planned the 787. They want to outsource production of individual parts.

They've always outsourced production of individual parts. They're now outsourcing entire assemblies.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

The 767 is transitioning to KC-46 production. I don't know if anyone is still ordering 767 freighters, but if not Boeing might be cutting jobs since the KC-46 will be low-rate for a while.

The cargo market blows right now and fuel is cheap so demand for new-build freighters is extremely low. I think there are extant orders for 767-300Fs but why bother with new build when you can get retrofits off cheap airframes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They've always outsourced production of individual parts. They're now outsourcing entire assemblies.

That is what I meant. Individual sub assemblies.