Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Alain Post posted:

The lower series are awful, yeah, mainly due to the awful field quality lately. Haven't caught up on WTCC or DTM lately but the XFinity series might actually be the worst racing series in the world right now.

The current Formula V8 3.5 roster is a sight to behold, including Johnny Cecotto jr who spent 15 years in GP2 with a total of four wins. edit: and a 50-year-old hotel owner

funeral fag fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

funeral fag posted:

The current Formula V8 3.5 roster is a sight to behold, including Johnny Cecotto jr who spent 15 years in GP2 with a total of four wins

That series will probably collapse within 2 years.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Human Grand Prix posted:

how optimistic of you

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

we're like two years removed from people thinking formula renault 3.5 had comparable driver talent to GP2

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

we're like two years removed from people thinking formula renault 3.5 had comparable driver talent to GP2

It was pretty good.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
that's because pay drivers end up diluting the whole field to complete uselessness when they hear that series X is where it's at to get noticed by a cash-strapped F1 team

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I do wonder why some of the useless drivers who rarely win in these series don't quit and do something cheaper and more fun like autocross, instead of pootling around for years on end going nowhere fast

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
WSBR was probably better than GP2 in like, 2013.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

WSBR was probably better than GP2 in like, 2013.

Losing the Renault backing hurt them, and some of their teams (like DAMS) have jumped ship. There are some decent drivers still in the series but no-one that would make it to F1 by merit alone. It looks like a slightly better version of Auto GP as of right now.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The ladder to F1 is a loving mess.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

learnincurve posted:

lol it's funny because you have never been to a UK race event. Firstly that shirt will never be sold in any size smaller than XL and will have egg dripped down the front. Secondly it will be worn by sweaty 40 year old virgins who will sit themselves next to any woman who seems to be on her own, and will be torn between creeping on her or wanting to make themselves feel superior by explaining every little thing that is going on. There are two types of UK race fans.

This is the most accurate post that has ever been posted on the internet.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Human Grand Prix posted:

The 27 different competing ladders to a year of F1 backmarker status followed by a steady career in WEC are a loving mess.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You are all aware of course that DTM is now the place for young /F1 test drivers to be now that it's owned by a large sinister Austrian fellow who suddenly appeared on the scene 5 years ago and now seems to be everywhere.

and yet his wife still couldn't get a DTM drive

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

learnincurve posted:

sinister Austrian fellow who suddenly appeared on the scene 5 years ago and now seems to be everywhere

Historically, this does not bode well

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

You are all aware of course that DTM is now the place for young /F1 test drivers to be now that it's owned by a large sinister Austrian fellow who suddenly appeared on the scene 5 years ago and now seems to be everywhere.

and yet his wife still couldn't get a DTM drive

And yet somehow DTM manages to create races almost 10 times as boring as a WTCC race but with considerably more budget.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's a place for Germans in the car industry to hang around in hospitality and do business with each other while German youths desperately try to get sponsorship from them so they don't have to resort to the red bull young drivers program. The actual racing is unimportant and only there so that Boring McDougal and Timo Glock can act as control drivers while getting thoroughly whomped by 18 year olds on their way to a superlicence .

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

It's a place for Germans in the car industry to hang around in hospitality and do business with each other while German youths desperately try to get sponsorship from them so they don't have to resort to the red bull young drivers program. The actual racing is unimportant and only there so that Boring McDougal and Timo Glock can act as control drivers while getting thoroughly whomped by 18 year olds on their way to a superlicence .

are you talking about DTM or F1

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Timo Glock owns.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Who is this Timo Glock fella? He related to Tim O'Glock, the fastest Irishman??

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Riso posted:

Who is this Timo Glock fella? He related to Tim O'Glock, the fastest Irishman??

I think that's the Hungarian flag dude.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh dear god. Someone actually thought to run the 2017 changes through a simulator. Slower on the straights, considerably faster in the corners. Not only will the brakes not work but also they corner at 5.5G which is too much for both the drivers and the nice new big tyres.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

learnincurve posted:

Allow me to enable you - This weekend it's the first Hankook 24H Silverstone and it's going to be awesome. (and I can't go :( )

Plus RoC wildcard Brad Philpot is in a Peugeot. And would probably freak the gently caress out if you pretend to recognise him.

Human Grand Prix posted:

If that, they haven't even reached round 1 yet and 2 teams who didn't pull out when Renault did have now pulled out.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

learnincurve posted:

Allow me to enable you - This weekend it's the first Hankook 24H Silverstone and it's going to be awesome. (and I can't go :( )

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/24hr-at-silverstone/ Daily price £10, three day £25.

Compare and contrast with the F1.

Free Infield Parking
Free Paddock Access to ALL support races and access to the 24 Hour paddock
Roving access to all general admission areas
Free grid walk
Live music
Opportunity to take away used Hankook tyres
Grandstand access - National Pits Straight and Woodcote A*
Marching band to open to grid
Children 15 & under can attend the event for free

monkeytennis posted:

WEC starts in April with ELMS supporting I think. That's an epic weekend for £40 (that was what we paid last year).
Loads of grandstands open and free to sit in. You could go and have a mooch around the back of the pits and see the guys fixing up bodywork etc. Traffic was reasonable. The racing was brilliant.

I was going to go to the WEC last year but ended up not bothering, I'm vaguely interested in WEC though as it actually has some names I'd recognise :)

Thanks both, will possibly check them out

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

Oh dear god. Someone actually thought to run the 2017 changes through a simulator. Slower on the straights, considerably faster in the corners. Not only will the brakes not work but also they corner at 5.5G which is too much for both the drivers and the nice new big tyres.

hahaha loving :bravo:

Formula 1: Stay for literally everything but the racing (we're sorry about the racing)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ship those 2017 regs now. I'd watch it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

learnincurve posted:

Okay, so reduce downforce and we have a good formula. Solves every "negitive" here.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

Okay, so reduce downforce and we have a good formula. Solves every "negitive" here.

Pretty much. The worst thread solved F1.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
It's like paddle shifters or the new engines they add absolutely nothing to the show but they were still implemented because that's what the big companies wanted.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
drat I love looking at F1 tech.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

El Hefe posted:

It's like paddle shifters or the new engines they add absolutely nothing to the show but they were still implemented because that's what the big companies wanted.

semi-auto gearboxes were implemented because a team (the Scud) thought it was an engineering advantage

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Alain Post posted:

semi-auto gearboxes were implemented because a team (the Scud) thought it was an engineering advantage

Exactly it doesn't provide any benefit for us the viewers who are ultimately the reason the sport exists today.

How do the new engines improve the racing? they don't but yet billions were spent on them

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the sport isn't interesting if teams aren't trying to beat each other by building cooler cars. a bigger problem is development restrictions imo, not "the engines aren't the same ones they used in the 90s"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the Ferrari 640/641 is one of the most fondly remembered F1 cars of the era and being the first semi-auto gearbox car was part of it's legend, so idk how you can say that the viewers don't care about that kind of thing

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Because it doesn't improve racing, plain and simple.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if people care so much about "the racing" why are they clamoring to bring back the 80s and 90s

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

El Hefe posted:

Exactly it doesn't provide any benefit for us the viewers who are ultimately the reason the sport exists today.

How do the new engines improve the racing? they don't but yet billions were spent on them

You are having a laugh. 90% of the sport doesn't provide a benefit to the viewers, what did FRIC do to 'enhance the show'? Stop being hung up on that.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Because back then it was actually a challenge to drive the cars not like these days were Nico can win a race and come out of the car looking as pretty as a princess.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
teams doing cool poo poo to try to build the best car in the paddock isn't "just for the big companies", it is, in fact, part of the entire appeal of the sport. if people wanted Good Racing they'd watch the Indycars instead (they don't)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

El Hefe posted:

Because back then it was actually a challenge to drive the cars not like these days were Nico can win a race and come out of the car looking as pretty as a princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

1500quidporsche posted:

You are having a laugh. 90% of the sport doesn't provide a benefit to the viewers, what did FRIC do to 'enhance the show'? Stop being hung up on that.

And maybe that's exactly why F1 is so poo poo then

• Locked thread