Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Occasional boxer Andre Ward is making his light heavyweight début tonight against Sullivan Barrera on HBO. Ward needs a bit of a tune-up before his fight with Kovalev I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I just find it funny that last night Oracle Arena hosted the incredibly exciting Golden State Warriors in a high paced, dramatic and fun game and tonight they host Andre Ward who's like the boxing equivalent of the Utah Jazz on horse tranquilizers.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Eubank Jr mid-round trolling Billy Joe Saunders and Tyson Fury sat at ringside, he's great

Khorre
Jan 28, 2009
Ward can't stop himself from punching after the bell, can he?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I unironically enjoy how Ward manages to cheat in at least three different ways in every match, and if a ref calls him on one of them he'll stop it and switch to a fourth one.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Is ward still an extremely skilled boxer in a low key way?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Is ward still an extremely skilled boxer in a low key way?

Yes. He's an infighting master who's the total package in terms of boxing IQ, ring generalship, etc. He forces guys to fight his fight, every time.

He just dominated a big, undefeated Cuban and looked just as good at 175 as he did at 168. There was some talk of him being slower but I didn't really see it. I think it was more the fact that Barrera was 6'2 and long, so he was able to touch Ward a bit more than we're used to. That's going to happen at 175 where most guys are 6'2, 6'3. Otherwise, Ward was still highly elusive and got hit with very few shots. His reflexes were still great and he did not look past his prime at all. If anything the time away might have helped him as he was able to recover from shoulder surgery, and from 2012-2015 there were no new dominant 168 pounders for him to take on anyway.

Ward's game will age very well as he's a master technician who doesn't rely on athleticism, but he is a great athlete. He's only just turned 32 years old, and 175 has a new group of relevant opponents to take on: Sergei Kovalev, Adonis Stevenson, Artur Beterbiev, Eleider Alvarez, etc.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Lionel Richie posted:

Eubank Jr mid-round trolling Billy Joe Saunders and Tyson Fury sat at ringside, he's great

His opponent is in a medically induced coma :(

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

willie_dee posted:

His opponent is in a medically induced coma :(

not the way you want to follow in your dad's footsteps :\

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Best wishes for Nick Blackwell, tragic when someone is in a bad way because of sport.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Triticum Guzzler posted:

not the way you want to follow in your dad's footsteps :\

Sr was worried and actually told him to stop hitting him in the head https://www.facebook.com/realboxingguru/videos/1731138897133427/

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Boxing kind of sucks

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Best wishes for Nick Blackwell, tragic when someone is in a bad way because of sport.

The guys who train with him who train with me at another gym say he is going to be fine, including a nurse who knows what he is on about.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Boxing kind of sucks

I'm just clinging onto the hope that we see Broner lose in a spectacular way that brings everyone together again. Seeing Chavez Jr was maybe the last worthwhile thing I can remember.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Slaine posted:

I'm just clinging onto the hope that we see Broner lose in a spectacular way that brings everyone together again. Seeing Chavez Jr was maybe the last worthwhile thing I can remember.

That Broner would even be allowed to fight facing felony assault and armed robbery charges would be a damning indicment of the current state of boxing in and of itself.

Edit: But if trainwreck is your bag Shane Mosley (sr.) is ranked #3 at welter by the wba and will be fighting for a "belt" soon.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2016/3/27/11312100/shane-mosley-to-face-david-avanesyan-for-interim-wba-belt-on-may-28

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 28, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blackwell's family say his condition is worsening. :smith:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Where'd you hear that? I thought they weren't giving statements to the media.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They've said he's not deteriorating and might be brought out of the coma today so i'm not sure where you got that idea

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...s-a6957401.html

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Where'd you hear that? I thought they weren't giving statements to the media.

Jose posted:

They've said he's not deteriorating and might be brought out of the coma today so i'm not sure where you got that idea

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...s-a6957401.html

Said it on BBC News (TV show, no web article to link) this morning. So gently caress those guys, good to be wrong.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Hopefully Blackwell recovers as fully as possible but in other fighter sad news Prichard Colon has been in a coma since October and hope appears to be dwindling he will ever come out

quote:

Pirchard Colon has been in a coma since since October 17th, when he suffered a traumatic brain injury in his fight against Terrel Williams on NBC. Colon, who just had surgery last week, is scheduled for yet another surgery this week according to his family. Clearly this isn't the best of news as Colon has already undergone a number of procedures in the past few months. But in anticipation of the upcoming surgery, his family asks for your hopes and prayers.

"In the middle of [last] week, Pri underwent surgery," the family said. "[He will] go back to surgery next week. We ask that you take one minute to ask the creator for the health of our champion. Let us continue to pray to God for a miracle."

In Colon's disqualification loss to Williams, he suffered a number of illegal blows, including a tough one to the back of his head in the ninth round which put him down. Referee Joe Cooper, who had deducted a point from Williams in the seventh for rabbit punching, did not take a point for that particular punch, nor a number of other illegal blows for which he has been heavily criticized.

Colon would get up from the knockdown, the second of that round, and head back to his corner where his trainers would begin cutting off his gloves believing the 10-round fight had concluded. When they were unable to get his gloves back on in time, Colon was disqualified from the match. He then walked back to his dressing room, became dizzy, vomited, and abruptly collapsed before he was then rushed to a nearby hospital.

Colon has been in a coma ever since, and just a couple of weeks ago the Virginia Department of Professional & Occupational Regulation announced that they completed their investigation of the fight and found no regulatory violations.

Part of their statement read:

"no regulatory violations appear to warrant disciplinary action against any Virginia licensees, including Williams. Cooper, the contract referee, generally maintained control of the contest -- despite noted disagreement over some foul calls and consistency of point deductions -- consulted with the ringside physician; and complied with regulatory requirements to attend to Colon's health. ... No one action (or failure to act) can be identified that is so apparent or egregious to justify holding accountable any one person."

This story, along with some others in recent memory, really illustrates the dark side of the sport. Although there is certainly an inherent risk of serious injury in combat sports, nobody likes to see these kinds of things happen. We extend our best wishes to Prichard Colon and his family.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2016/3/29/11323858/pirchard-colon-will-undergo-another-surgery-this-week-family-asks-to

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 29, 2016

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFAi7oyG15E

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
"Will you pass a brain scan?" lmao

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

such a choreographed joke. haye saying if he fights on the undercard and the fans want to see it he'll fight him as if they haven't all been alluding to this fight happening for weeks.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
God I love Briggs. Schtick or not I am still entertained. I do wish he'd fully commit to his inner pro wrestler and get a payday that way, honestly could probably be a bigger platform for him and safer.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Bad Left Hook posted:

Adrien Broner nearly didn't show up for yesterday's final presser. And do you know what actually didn't show up for? A second chance to meet the 140lb limit to retain his WBA world title. Ashley Theophane hit the 140lb limit right on the nose, but Broner weighed-in just over the limit, tipping the scales at 140.4lbs in the nude.

From there Broner had two hours to shed the 0.4lbs, but he never showed back up to weigh-in again. Broner was then stripped of his belt for failing to make weight for the second time in his career. What's worse is that he might've just shaved off his beard and kept the belt and some money -- but that would've ruined the Rick Ross look chicks really dig.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2016/3/31/11340694/adrien-broner-loses-title-on-the-scales

Fwiw, i dont blame him. After all bowling alley food-like stadium nachos- is fattening and delicious

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 1, 2016

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Broner might be the biggest clown in boxing ever. He makes JCC Jr and Zab Judah look like professionals.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Remind me what Zab did again? Other than just being good enough to look good briefly while losing to a bunch of guys.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
I remember he threw a stool once at poor Jay Nady. Zab is a cool dude though.

Broner Victa

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Welp I guess Spike isn't showing this fight live for the west coast. Time to go find a stream I guess.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Welp I guess Spike isn't showing this fight live for the west coast. Time to go find a stream I guess.

You haven't missed anything.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Lol gently caress off Broner

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
This fight is pretty bad, especially after the cool undercard. Also these commentators are dumb, Broner has won maybe 3 of 8 rounds so far.

EDIT: ugh

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Lol, the crowd is not happy that Broner didn't get the KO in 3.

If Theophane staves off the KO into the 12th, you can see Broner is getting tired.

E: or not

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Boxing never changes

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Bad stoppage, I wonder if they're even going to interview Theophane?

Crowd doesn't buy that KO either.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
gently caress it-let it happen.

EDIT: There will never be a better time for Floyd and Broner. It's probably worse than the Berto fight in a vacuum but the pieces are starting to fall into place and assuming Broner stays out of jail and/or bowling alleys it's probably the biggest box office fight that can be made in boxing now. Outsells GGG-Canelo by a bit and Ward-Kovalev by a mile imo.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 2, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yep they just ignored Theophane. Nice to see Broner land a "knockout" low blow.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

broner is wank and floyd should stay hosed off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I legit think Floyd is out for good. Quote this in ten years when I'm still prophetically right. :smug:

• Locked thread