Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

The Root Double Steam page is up. Careful when looking at the preview images, as one in particular seems to contain a spoiler for one of the endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I was thinking about Umineko today. See, that's the mark of a good game when I'm still thinking about it even 6-7 years later.

Anyway, I was thinking about how while I really liked the story of Umineko as a whole, I think I liked the music and atmosphere it was told with better. If I listen back to any of the game's songs, it can instantly put me in the exact mood I felt all those years ago when I was first reading it. Gives me goosebumps.

Good game. Go read it if you haven't.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

I was thinking about Umineko today. See, that's the mark of a good game when I'm still thinking about it even 6-7 years later.

Anyway, I was thinking about how while I really liked the story of Umineko as a whole, I think I liked the music and atmosphere it was told with better. If I listen back to any of the game's songs, it can instantly put me in the exact mood I felt all those years ago when I was first reading it. Gives me goosebumps.

Good game. Go read it if you haven't.

I will when Manga Gamer gets to it.

In other words, I'll read it by 2030.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's definitely my favourite OST, there's so many cool atmospheric tracks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It always amazed me how many new/great tracks each chapter added too, until I think EP8 which only had a handful of new ones comparatively. You almost never got bored or sick of any one particular theme or leitmotif because it was always changing things up, which is a good thing given Umineko's length.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I actually just popped in the first Umineko OST which I think covers up to game 3. It surprised me how many of the very early songs are variations on Ride On. It kind of fell out of use more in the later games but it was almost omnipresent in the first few. That song still kind of represents the series for me.

I'm thinking about going back and playing Ookamikakushi. It got kind of ripped by a bunch of people, but then again so did Umineko. I think everyone went into every single Ryuukishi07 work expecting Higurashi and when none of them turned out to be HIgurashi2 they freaked out and hated them but I was always bewildered by the hate for Umineko. I couldn't say which is better between it and HIgurashi (Umineko has the better OST by far though) because I love them both a lot, but they were very, very different beasts. I'm wondering if maybe Ookamikakushi was rated bad just because it wasn't like Ryuu's other stuff. Plus Peach Pit did the graphics.

The anime was pretty crap, but then again so was Umineko's so that really doesn't sway me.

Edit: waitaminit there's like 9 people listed as scenario writers for this game. Ryuukishi just provided the concept? Oh well no wonder it sucks. They probably just slapped his name on it like a Tom Clancy game and hoped it would sell.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some people were down on Umineko's ending (I'm not one of them) but it was absolutely not hated as it was coming out, it was extremely popular with Higurashi fans. Ookamikakushi... well I only watched the anime but yeah that was a huge disappointment for anyone expecting anything on the level of Higurashi/Umineko.

Higurashi and Umineko are my 1A and 1B favorite VN series but I'd probably pick Umineko as my overall favorite of the two. Higurashi really comes into its own with the second half (the Kai chapters) whereas Umineko is pretty consistently great start to finish. Its worst chapter (EP6) is easily better than at least a couple of the Question chapters from Higurashi IMO. Higurashi's first four chapters also have kind of mediocre music all told, since Ryukishi07 was using public domain stuff or something instead of his doujin artist friends.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Wasn't there a video of an Umineko release at Comiket and the crowd is so huge and rowdy they like accidentally take out the stand or something like that?

But yeah I agree that it was mostly the ending that lost a lot of people which is sad and meant they forgot the most important clue the series gave you, right from the beginning.

Without love it cannot be seen

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the main upside of Higurashi is that the final chapter did a really good job of explaining everything. Umineko's by contrast does leave a bunch of threads dangling or unclear.

Once you've worked everything out Umineko is pretty great on a re-read though, almost every scene ends up reading pretty differently. Also the constant audience manipulation is pretty funny in retrospect.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 20, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It would not surprise me if some weird stuff had gone at Comiket at some point but it also sold out there constantly, had a very vibrant fanwork community (such as the Umineko Motion Graphic videos), very popular/well-trafficked polls for theories and characters on the 07th Expansion website, spin-off video games, and of course anime/manga adaptations. Yes the anime sucked but comparatively it's not like you're seeing that stuff coming out for Higabana or Rose Guns Days. Obviously some or a lot of my perspective could be skewed coming from a Western fan perpsective but I never got the remote impression Umineko was not a popular series as it was coming out.

Speaking of manipulation, one of my favorite moments is actually back in EP1's Tea Party. If you're a Higurashi reader it's instantly recognizable as another one of those "cast talks about what just happened" sequences from Higurashi and then it...well, you know.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nate RFB posted:

Its worst chapter (EP6) is easily better than at least a couple of the Question chapters from Higurashi IMO.

Erika Furudo is the best character in Umineko, so any episode that features her as one of the main characters cannot possibly be the worst. :colbert:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Preaching to the choir there, Erika is awesome. It's mostly that EP6 is sandwiched in between two of the arguably best chapters in the whole thing and nothing really happens in it other than dropping a lot of hints about the one Big Twist.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Well mystery-wise yeah but there's a bunch of badass action scenes and Birth of a New Witch is excellent. Also Erika owns. Which I guess is really saying something about Umineko when "the worst episode" is that good. That said, I might be biased because I had guessed the Big Twist as early as Episode 2 and Episode 6 was finally where I basically got confirmation that I was right, which was satisfying enough for me to throw my arms in the air and holler IRL, so. :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it's also a chapter that is better in retrospect after you're finished because you no longer wonder what the deal with the mystery is, or are able to recognize some its themes a bit more clearly. The Tohya character for example takes on an entirely different meaning after EP8. But at the time it came out, it was on the heels of the amazing high left by EP5, not to mention that the gap between each chapter release was around 6-8 months so people would be constantly chomping at the bit to learn more after each one.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh I remember the hatred when EP6 came out. We went from EP5 having Battler running and jumping out of a goddamn window, having a dbz air battle with Erika culminating with GOLD TRUTH being used to EP6 which a significant half of which focused on George's backstory and motivations, a character I think most of the western fanbase hated

Not nearly as bad in retrospect but it is definitely my least favorite chapter.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I didn't follow Umineko as it came out, I played it all at once just recently, so that might account for the difference. The western fanbase hated George?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He's creepy and overbearing and possibly fell in love with a ten-year-old.

Ep6 suffered at the time for still dancing around stuff that most of the fanbase had worked out by that point. I imagine that's less likely to be true if you just read all the episodes in quick succession on your own though.

e: also the backstory is definitely less compelling than the Natsuhi backstory you get in ep5

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

When George isn't being boring, he's being creepy. I think only points I will give to George is (mega umineko spoilers) - Ryukishi stated that if Yasu had told the truth about herself to him, George actually wouldn't have cared. Considering a lot of her motivation stems from how George would receive her, it's a final bittersweet note I guess.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 20, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I mean fair but he has sick kung fu kicks and is forever fated to be inferior to Battler in both protagonist power and romance so I can't dislike him I guess

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked him more when he had a fat sprite.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Isn't there a visual novel dating simulator where it does the VLR thing of remembering what you did on previous play-throughs and having one of the girls flip out on your for restarting and trying to date someone else, so she ends up murdering you and deleting your save file?

I remember seeing a video of it on Youtube and it was really weird and messed up.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Isn't there a visual novel dating simulator where it does the VLR thing of remembering what you did on previous play-throughs and having one of the girls flip out on your for restarting and trying to date someone else, so she ends up murdering you and deleting your save file?

I remember seeing a video of it on Youtube and it was really weird and messed up.

There is, it's Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi (often abbreviated as Totono)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tamba posted:

There is, it's Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi (often abbreviated as Totono)

This is it, thanks.

Here's the scene in question:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=esqjVgEcJPo

I thought there was an English translation, I'll keep checking.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Do you guys think that Ryukishi is ever upset the Umineko anime was apparently voted the worst anime of 2010 or whenever it was? I know the sales were complete garbage and it never got a resolution or second season.

I mean it was bad, sure, but it's not like it was his fault.

On that note, how was Rose Guns Days? I know I shouldn't go into it expecting a grand mystery like When They Cry, but is it at least a fun read?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also apparently they were trying really hard to release Root Double in March, but it's been officially delayed to April.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I liked him more when he had a fat sprite.

I really felt like they hosed up there. Alot of his insecurities and stuff make alot more sense when he's represented as being overweight and kinda homely, rather than a generic attractive bishie.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

voltcatfish posted:

On that note, how was Rose Guns Days? I know I shouldn't go into it expecting a grand mystery like When They Cry, but is it at least a fun read?
I personally found it boring and never even finished season 1. I like Ryukishi07 works for the mystery solving and the characters and RGD didn't really deliver on either. The premise in general was kind of super weird and vaguely unsettling, at least the part where poor little ol' post-WWII Japan is being victimized by China.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I didn't get a pro-Imperial Japan vibe off it but yeah it was pretty boring.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So I know it's not Vita, but Steins Gate 0 is getting a Japanese PC port.
http://gematsu.com/2016/03/steinsgate-0-coming-pc-japan-june-24
Is this faster than usual?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is Tokyo Babel any good or should I just wait for Root Double.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It has a really long free demo so I'll give it a go.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

MegaZeroX posted:

I will when Manga Gamer gets to it.

In other words, I'll read it by 2030.

MangaGamer's art looks weird as heck, though! Be sure to get the inevitable PS2 sprites mod, like the one for the Higurashi MangaGamer releases, because the person they got to draw the new sprites just doesn't GET it, y'know?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

John Lee posted:

MangaGamer's art looks weird as heck, though! Be sure to get the inevitable PS2 sprites mod, like the one for the Higurashi MangaGamer releases, because the person they got to draw the new sprites just doesn't GET it, y'know?

I didn't have a problem with the Manga Gamer Higurashi sprites. Then again, I never played the VN with the original sprites.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 5, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
MangaGamer's sprites are OK compared to the Higurashi originals but they are still pretty bad. The proportions are really ugly and some like Mion's swimsuit sprite are just embarrassing (they just took what was obviously a naked model and painted over it). The PS2/PS3 sprites are honestly the best compromise for all of the When They Cry games; a bit generic but they are ultimately inoffensive. I of course still prefer Umineko's original set but I won't really get bent out of shape at this point if I had to use the PS3 set.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 5, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It has a really long free demo so I'll give it a go.
The prologue was pretty good, it was well paced and the animations really added to the experience. I guess it's now time for the inevitable School Scenario to start though

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

MangaGamer's sprites are OK compared to the Higurashi originals but they are still pretty bad. The proportions are really ugly and some like Mion's swimsuit sprite are just embarrassing (they just took what was obviously a naked model and painted over it). The PS2/PS3 sprites are honestly the best compromise for all of the When They Cry games; a bit generic but they are ultimately inoffensive. I of course still prefer Umineko's original set but I won't really get bent out of shape at this point if I had to use the PS3 set.

They took Mion's swimsuit sprite and made it less cute

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Does anyone who backed the KS have any news on Root Double? The Steam page still just says "April". I've got a flight coming up soon and it would be rad to load up on my tablet.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ryoshi posted:

Does anyone who backed the KS have any news on Root Double? The Steam page still just says "April". I've got a flight coming up soon and it would be rad to load up on my tablet.

I think that Sekai is waiting on Regista to integrate the remaining Steam things (overlay and cloud) right now, and I'm not sure that even Sekai themselves know of the exact status. So, it should hopefully come out this month. Or not.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 14, 2016

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning is now on Steam. It earned an ESRB rating of M without any cuts/changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Does this mean it's got any 18+ scenes? I'm surprised if so. Steam may be relaxing on that.