Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Those Saxon minis are great! I wonder if they'd mix okay with my Footsore guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Footsore makes amazing minis, btw. I am getting some at AdeptiCon

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I finished a Krupp and two Opel trucks, a panzer 1 sig 33 I kit bashed, and three objective markers for Adepticon. The trucks are Slovak, the panzer is German 22nd Panzer in support

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Aw, look at that cute li'l bobblehead tank. I keep trying to find a good 1:35th kit of the bugger, but no dice so far.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
A friend and I bought a couple Napoleonic starter boxes from Baccus a couple years ago, sort of on a whim, since Black Powder is solidly a 28mm game in our group. After slowly and quietly painting away for a while, early this year we finally put our collective foot down and decided to play. It was my first game of BP ever (although I've played some Warmaster and a small game or two of Hail Caesar, so I know the basics) and his first in a while, so we had some false starts - including, on the first turn, following our Epic instincts and doing alternating activation in the movement phase for some reason - but it turned into an extremely fun game. Turns out big games of Black Powder on 6 x 4 tables using a straight inch -> cm conversion work very well indeed! Lots of maneuvering and generally all the good stuff that playing in 6mm lets you do.

We each had about a division - sort of by chance, we ended up with roughly-mirrored forces of three brigades of infantry, one of light cavalry and one of heavy cavalry each, plus artillery and what-not - for about 20 units on the table each. He played French, based on a historical division (I forget which - and he is, in fact, the kind of guy who has a favorite historical division from the Napoleonic wars) and I used a generic-but-historically-plausible British division.

The French won the day, but the British had some victories and it was, all in all, pretty closely fought, and most importantly good fun.

Sadly, our gaming group is pretty conservative when it comes to scale, so it'll probably just be him and me fussing about in 6mm, but it was fun enough that we're probably going to try and play with some regularity.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Giant Ethicist posted:

A friend and I bought a couple Napoleonic starter boxes from Baccus a couple years ago, sort of on a whim, since Black Powder is solidly a 28mm game in our group. After slowly and quietly painting away for a while, early this year we finally put our collective foot down and decided to play. It was my first game of BP ever (although I've played some Warmaster and a small game or two of Hail Caesar, so I know the basics) and his first in a while, so we had some false starts - including, on the first turn, following our Epic instincts and doing alternating activation in the movement phase for some reason - but it turned into an extremely fun game. Turns out big games of Black Powder on 6 x 4 tables using a straight inch -> cm conversion work very well indeed! Lots of maneuvering and generally all the good stuff that playing in 6mm lets you do.

We each had about a division - sort of by chance, we ended up with roughly-mirrored forces of three brigades of infantry, one of light cavalry and one of heavy cavalry each, plus artillery and what-not - for about 20 units on the table each. He played French, based on a historical division (I forget which - and he is, in fact, the kind of guy who has a favorite historical division from the Napoleonic wars) and I used a generic-but-historically-plausible British division.

The French won the day, but the British had some victories and it was, all in all, pretty closely fought, and most importantly good fun.

Sadly, our gaming group is pretty conservative when it comes to scale, so it'll probably just be him and me fussing about in 6mm, but it was fun enough that we're probably going to try and play with some regularity.

Nice! We're dumb enough at the club to start Napoleonics this year in both 6mm and 28mm, not sure which scale will see some playable forces finished first. But your 6mm stuff looks great.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
While I'm strictly ish moderns man, I think the closer you get to 1:1 of manz to historical men, the better the game is, and that's why 6mm is God's own scale. All those serried ranks and stuff makes Napoleonics look mouth watering.

28mm is for BA, FoF, Sharp, 40K Kill Team and other stuff like that.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

JcDent posted:

While I'm strictly ish moderns man, I think the closer you get to 1:1 of manz to historical men, the better the game is, and that's why 6mm is God's own scale. All those serried ranks and stuff makes Napoleonics look mouth watering.
Well, to be fair, it's still hardly 1:1. We were playing one base of 25 mans = one company, so it really turns out to be more like 1:10 or so - about the same as most people play in 28mm. The main benefit to 6mm to my mind is being able to fruitfully field a lot more units than at 28mm, with a lot more room for maneuver between them.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Giant Ethicist posted:

Well, to be fair, it's still hardly 1:1. We were playing one base of 25 mans = one company, so it really turns out to be more like 1:10 or so - about the same as most people play in 28mm. The main benefit to 6mm to my mind is being able to fruitfully field a lot more units than at 28mm, with a lot more room for maneuver between them.

Still easier to cram more dudes than 28mm, cheaper and easier to paint.

you won't turn me against 6mm, villain

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
6mm Napoleonics owns and every time I see pics I rue the day I sold mine. I do have a few 1000 unpainted Austrians needing my attention though

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

6mm Napoleonics owns and every time I see pics I rue the day I sold mine. I do have a few 1000 unpainted Austrians needing my attention though

Gonna paint up some French to go with my Brits, and a clubmate is painting Russians as we speak. Now we just need to rope in an Austrian or a Prussian or something:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I saw 6mm Napoleonics (or maybe it was US CW) in person for the first time at a con last year, and it really felt like I was looking at a proper battle between armies. Pretty :radcat:, wish I had the time and money for it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I love the individual characterisation you can achieve in 28mm, so I doubt I'd ever go smaller, but Napoleonics look amazing in 6mm.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
What are the go-to suppliers of 6mm mans?

Also, thanks for all the input RE: modern combat rules - I found Bolt Action Modern so I'm giving that a shot.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Commissar Kip posted:

What are the go-to suppliers of 6mm mans?

Also, thanks for all the input RE: modern combat rules - I found Bolt Action Modern so I'm giving that a shot.

Baccus 6mm has tons of nice ranges in various periods. I buy most of my stuff from there, but we've settled on Adler for our Napoleonic cavalry, as their poses are just superb for cavalry. But for infantry I prefer Baccus, partly because Adler have even huger heads than Baccus.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Holy gently caress they are so tiny - and so cute. I now want 6mm mans but I loving know no one will want to play this poo poo with me around here.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
The Baccus guy has a rreally good rant about the benfiits of 6mm - its hidden at the moment, as he's re-writing it to take account of the changes in wargaming in the last few years, but its still worth a read if you've not done it before.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Commissar Kip posted:

Holy gently caress they are so tiny - and so cute. I now want 6mm mans but I loving know no one will want to play this poo poo with me around here.

The good thing is that in 6mm, you can more easily afford to buy two opposing armies to rope other people into playing with you. For example, the Napoleonic starter packs are enough for many different games in the period, and they are £35-40 each. That's like picking up a small gang in many skirmish games.

But honestly, for me as an apartment dweller, one huge advantage in going smaller scale is storage. I keep several 15mm and 6mm armies on a single bookshelf in these: http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/90246154/

It's just so easy to store and transport small scale armies. I still do plenty of 28mm, but when it comes to convenience it's just impossible to beat a smaller scale. Just one of my pike-armed 28mm units take more storage space than my British 6mm starter army.

And don't even get me started on the space you save on storing terrain, it's out of this world.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'm collecting 2 Team Yankee armies in 6mm and I know nobody will play with me, but it's so cheap...

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

lilljonas posted:

The good thing is that in 6mm, you can more easily afford to buy two opposing armies to rope other people into playing with you. For example, the Napoleonic starter packs are enough for many different games in the period, and they are £35-40 each. That's like picking up a small gang in many skirmish games.

But honestly, for me as an apartment dweller, one huge advantage in going smaller scale is storage. I keep several 15mm and 6mm armies on a single bookshelf in these: http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/90246154/

It's just so easy to store and transport small scale armies. I still do plenty of 28mm, but when it comes to convenience it's just impossible to beat a smaller scale. Just one of my pike-armed 28mm units take more storage space than my British 6mm starter army.

And don't even get me started on the space you save on storing terrain, it's out of this world.

I live in an apartment too, and in Japan no less, so for me this is huge. Getting half a closet to store my gaming stuff required a fair bit of negotiation with my wife, so it's nice that my whole 20-some-odd unit British army fills up 2/3 of a single standard miniatures case.

My 9 armies for Epic take up a bit more space, mind, and I'm thinking of collecting an opposing pair of forces to do Blitzkrieg Commander...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

I live in an apartment too, and in Japan no less, so for me this is huge. Getting half a closet to store my gaming stuff required a fair bit of negotiation with my wife, so it's nice that my whole 20-some-odd unit British army fills up 2/3 of a single standard miniatures case.

My 9 armies for Epic take up a bit more space, mind, and I'm thinking of collecting an opposing pair of forces to do Blitzkrieg Commander...

You could fit two opposing WW2 armies in a shoebox, with space for terrain. And yeah, I feel for you, I lived in Kokubunji for a while, and even in the 'burbs' it was kind of crowded.

In other news:

I've just received a cold call request from a British(!) historical publisher to review their books in a British(!) historical(!) wargaming rag(!). It's almost like I'm becoming a baby grognard. Don't mind that English is my secondary language and that I haven't studied, or even played that much in, the period in question. :P

No I have no idea how they a) found me and b) came to the conclusion that I'm qualified at all.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 30, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Must be goons afoot.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

Must be goons afoot.

"Alexander gay. So what." Done, next book!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

lilljonas posted:

"Alexander gay. So what." Done, next book!

You're going to stretch thst to 500 words and you're going to like it, mister

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

JcDent posted:

I'm collecting 2 Team Yankee armies in 6mm and I know nobody will play with me, but it's so cheap...
Where you getting the minis from dude? That sounds rad.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

You could fit two opposing WW2 armies in a shoebox, with space for terrain. And yeah, I feel for you, I lived in Kokubunji for a while, and even in the 'burbs' it was kind of crowded.

In other news:

I've just received a cold call request from a British(!) historical publisher to review their books in a British(!) historical(!) wargaming rag(!). It's almost like I'm becoming a baby grognard. Don't mind that English is my secondary language and that I haven't studied, or even played that much in, the period in question. :P

No I have no idea how they a) found me and b) came to the conclusion that I'm qualified at all.
What's the rag? I may know of it.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
In the 6mm discussion, I have 2 full ACW armies from baccus, and they are lovely minis, but I have trouble getting them painted, I am trying 10mm Pendrakken for Maurice, and the models are just bigger enough to get a bit more control on painting. Not as cheap. but not pricey by any means either ( a full 30-32 man unit with shipping from UK to US is about 5 quid ($7.50`ish, just model cost is about $6 a unit).

Hope to have some painted up soon, they really are nice models.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

Where you getting the minis from dude? That sounds rad.

Heroic and Ross for T-72s, Scotia Grendel for Rooskie manz, BMP-2s, M1s. Dunno about M113s and Americans.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
How are H&R models? I've been interested in 6mm historics but I've seen several photos that make them look like malformed blobs of lead. I'm willing to sacrifice some detail for a drop from GHQ prices, but not that much. OTOH, maybe it's poo poo painting or old moulds.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For what you pay they're great. I'm very happy with mine. The planes are a bit crappy, but I dunno how other people do at that scale so I'm happy enough with them.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

For what you pay they're great. I'm very happy with mine. The planes are a bit crappy, but I dunno how other people do at that scale so I'm happy enough with them.

How'd they compare with something like Ground Zero Games' sci fi stuff? I'm guessing it's quite a bit better than a vaguely tanklike blob, at least?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, it's nowhere near GHQ's "We literally shrunk a tank via demonic magics" ... OK, I might be lying. I had ordered a wide variety of tanks from them (in singles), and their T-72 have a short of lovely hull. The turret is quite OK. It's the exact opposite of Grendel's awesome hull, lovely pancake turret. So for a pound, you can make your dream T-72 at half GHQ prices. T-55s (for those 6mm Fate of a Nation) are perfect, and T-62s and -64s are OK, even if the road wheels aren't that special on the -64s, but that's a KHARKOVITE SIN in the first place. BTR-50 looks hit unpainted, less so with shading.
HnR M1 is pretty crappy in comparison to SG M1s.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

How'd they compare with something like Ground Zero Games' sci fi stuff? I'm guessing it's quite a bit better than a vaguely tanklike blob, at least?
I've never looked at that, but the stuff they've advertised in the wargames mags are usually 15mm so... not at all comparable?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

I've never looked at that, but the stuff they've advertised in the wargames mags are usually 15mm so... not at all comparable?

They sell 6mm Dirtside stuff, which was more what I was thinking of.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
6mm forever! Baccus ACW:

I bought a pair of (large) armies a year ago and am now at the point where I have a full painted division for each side and a table with good scenery, all for about the price of buying a single army of one of the big 28mm systems (or a small fraction of a GW system). The scale has a phenomenal "living map" effect when you put a battlefield together and it's surprisingly easy to paint.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Time for me to shill for C-in-C again I guess.

An M60A1, M113, BTR-70 and T-72A in 6mm. They run ~$5-6 for a pack of 4.

Impressed-looking 28mm Soviet submachinegunner for scale.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

They sell 6mm Dirtside stuff, which was more what I was thinking of.
I've not seen that, can't compare in-hand I'm afraid.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Britgoons! Lidl have just this week gotten stock of artificial grass mats that are about 1m x 2m, so 2 mats are perfect for a 4x6 table. Total cost: a tenner (£5 per roll). I went and got 2 today, and may get another tomorrow to cut up for Blood Bowl or something. The surface isn't like static grass or felt, it's more like a tightly woven artificial wool with medium and dark green fibers. I'm planning to airbrush on some dark and light brown areas for dirt patches just for variation, and when I eventually do woodland type scatter terrain I want to match the green just so there's a bit of coherency to the table. Should be great for Saga and historicals if I ever get around to finally, actually playing those.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

krushgroove posted:

Britgoons! Lidl have just this week gotten stock of artificial grass mats that are about 1m x 2m, so 2 mats are perfect for a 4x6 table. Total cost: a tenner (£5 per roll). I went and got 2 today, and may get another tomorrow to cut up for Blood Bowl or something. The surface isn't like static grass or felt, it's more like a tightly woven artificial wool with medium and dark green fibers. I'm planning to airbrush on some dark and light brown areas for dirt patches just for variation, and when I eventually do woodland type scatter terrain I want to match the green just so there's a bit of coherency to the table. Should be great for Saga and historicals if I ever get around to finally, actually playing those.
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit. :getin:

I do indeed know of it, and in fact a column in it is written by a gaming buddy of mine who does wonderful stuff.
VVVV

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

What's the rag? I may know of it.

Miniature Wargames with Battlegames, which is funny since I'm a big fan of the View from the Veranda podcast. Turned out I've gotten on some reviewer list, marked as "Ancient". Maybe because I'm a fan of all kinds of Asian historical periods, and frankly most historical period labels are so eurocentric that it's impossible to cathegorize those things correctly? Either way, I spend two hours a day on a train commute, it's not like I'll be dying if some of my precious Puzzle & Dragons time is spent on learning a thing or two about hoplites instead.

Now I'm just curious about what other secret lists I'm on. I can see it now:
"Are you, or have you ever, been a card-carrying member of a historical wargaming club?"
"These forums are infested with grognards. I have here in my hand a list of 205—a list of accounts that were made known to Lowtax as wearing suspenders and who nevertheless are still posting threads and commenting in TG".