Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

And yet, if you eat the same amount of non sugar calories, you will be just about as likely to develop type 2. If a diabetic follows your mystical beliefs in fresh food and eats a ton of nuts, or a bunch of boiled potatoes, or anything else calorie dense they will have the same outcomes.

the entire reason those fresh vegetables are recommended is because they are not calorie dense. That doesn't mean there aren't "fresh" things which are calorie dense: there are a ton of them. Replacing soda with milk is not good. Replacing wonder bread with potatoes is not good. There are possibly some benefits to doing so but we do not have solid science about this. The video you are citing is a correlation, and you are treating it as a causation. People who eat processed meats may have other attributes in common, may eat salt in over proportion from other sources. Etc. it is likely that eating preserved foods has some negative effects but we do not know the strength of them, and calories total are a far, far bigger problem--and that is only in the context of lack of activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

WampaLord posted:

Tell that line about sugar calories to a diabetic.

That's loving stupid, and you know it. Anything can be bad for someone with the right disease to make it bad for them, that doesn't mean it's bad in general.

quote:

How about the part where they add high fructose corn syrup to it? Why does a sugar substitute need to be in bread?

God only knows. I'm not defending it as a fine product with a great taste, I'm just saying it's not actively unhealthy for most of the population (those that don't have diabetes or celiac disease).

Helsing posted:

I feel like I'm debating a martian who has never actually eaten human food or been in a grocery store. You do understand part of why doctors recommend fresh fruits and vegetables is because in addition to having a good calorie to nutrition trade off, they also promote a sense of satiety? Whereas sugar is the opposite: many food items with added sugar will actually make you hungrier despite being full of calories.

This doesn't mean that sugar is worse for you than any other source of calories, though. That's what you're not getting. I agree it can make you hungrier, and that, in turn, makes it hard to maintain a proper diet, but that doesn't make it bad for you. That just means it can turn itself into a part of a whole diet that is bad for you.

I could go have a slice of wonderbread right now and suffer absolutely no ill effects from it whatsoever, as could most people. It is not bad for you; it promotes a diet that is bad for you. The bad diet is the problem, not any individual component thereof.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Obdicut posted:

And yet, if you eat the same amount of non sugar calories, you will be just about as likely to develop type 2. If a diabetic follows your mystical beliefs in fresh food and eats a ton of nuts, or a bunch of boiled potatoes, or anything else calorie dense they will have the same outcomes.

the entire reason those fresh vegetables are recommended is because they are not calorie dense. That doesn't mean there aren't "fresh" things which are calorie dense: there are a ton of them. Replacing soda with milk is not good. Replacing wonder bread with potatoes is not good. There are possibly some benefits to doing so but we do not have solid science about this. The video you are citing is a correlation, and you are treating it as a causation. People who eat processed meats may have other attributes in common, may eat salt in over proportion from other sources. Etc. it is likely that eating preserved foods has some negative effects but we do not know the strength of them, and calories total are a far, far bigger problem--and that is only in the context of lack of activity.

So in addition to reversing your position on sugar you're now rehashing stuff that was already addressed, in tedious detail, pages ago.

PT6A posted:

The bad diet is the problem, not any individual component thereof.

So far as I can tell this has been universally and explicitly agreed on by everyone posting here for the entire discussion.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

So far as I can tell this has been universally and explicitly agreed on by everyone posting here for the entire discussion.

If no food can in and of itself be bad for you (and excepting trans fats and literal poison, this is the case), then how can you call something "junk food?" That's what people are arguing with you about.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

PT6A posted:

If no food can in and of itself be bad for you (and excepting trans fats and literal poison, this is the case), then how can you call something "junk food?" That's what people are arguing with you about.

This has been explained in tedious detail. You can read my post history in this thread and decide for yourself if you agree with the arguments but unless you want to quote something I've said and offer some novel critique that hasn't been made yet I do not think there's much profit in going through this yet again.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Helsing posted:

So in addition to reversing your position on sugar you're now rehashing stuff that was already addressed, in tedious detail, pages ago.

I didn't reverse my opinion though. Eating straight sugar is bad for diabetics since it spikes their blood sugar. Eating white bread or a bunch of fruit is bad for the same reason. I can't tell if you are pretending not to understand this or really don't. And the rehashing is stuff that you are still wrong about, so it's probably going to keep happening.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Helsing posted:

I feel like I'm debating a martian who has never actually eaten human food or been in a grocery store. You do understand part of why doctors recommend fresh fruits and vegetables is because in addition to having a good calorie to nutrition trade off, they also promote a sense of satiety? Whereas sugar is the opposite: many food items with added sugar will actually make you hungrier despite being full of calories.

Also I can't even begin to comprehend the level of idiocy that claims only calories matter. The logical conclusion of that position is that you could eat or not eat literally anything you wanted and as long as you watched your calories it wouldn't matter whether you were getting protein, fibre, vitamins, etc. Is that seriously the position you are defending?

The video showed a strong association between eating large amounts of processed meats and the risk of diabetes or heart disease. There's no ambiguity there. The exact relationship of the association is where the "may" comes up, there's no question that an association exists. More importantly, the video is exhibit A in the massive pile of evidence showing that people who actually know what they are talking about regularly use the term "processed" when advising consumers about food and nutrition, which was the original point of contention in this debate.

Why do you keep saying "fresh" fruits and vegetables? What's wrong with frozen varieties or canned tomatoes from a respected brand? You type that exact phrase so often I'm surprised it hasn't overtaken your auto complete.

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 30, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
"Fresh" as opposed to processed, I'd assume. It's a good rule of thumb. A pizza might have more tomates than a salad, but that doesn't mean it's better for you.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

BarbarianElephant posted:

"Fresh" as opposed to processed, I'd assume. It's a good rule of thumb. A pizza might have more tomates than a salad, but that doesn't mean it's better for you.

What about a can of tomatoes, though?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What's wrong with a pizza? It's bread with stuff on top; I've made it from scratch. If you make one the proper size, and don't jam too much greasy meat and cheese on top, it's a fairly well balanced meal.

Salads are good too, but they ain't gonna satisfy your calorie needs for a meal unless you're a sedentary waif or top it with the same sort of stuff you'd put on a pizza and/or tons of dressing. The ingredients don't care whether they're in a salad or on a pizza, and neither does your body.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PT6A posted:

What's wrong with a pizza?

Jesus Christ can you be more disingenuous? He said "Pizza is not better for you than a salad" and your response is "Well, what's wrong with pizza?" :cripes:

I swear to god, people in this thread can't get over the idea that "Well I eat this thing and I am healthy, therefore that thing can't be unhealthy!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Jesus Christ can you be more disingenuous? He said "Pizza is not better for you than a salad" and your response is "Well, what's wrong with pizza?" :cripes:

I swear to god, people in this thread can't get over the idea that "Well I eat this thing and I am healthy, therefore that thing can't be unhealthy!"

No, we're saying "I eat this thing and am healthy, so it's not intrinsically unhealthy." A pizza can be better for you than a salad.

Everything can be unhealthy.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

WampaLord posted:

A pizza can be a lot better than a salad.

Examples:

Here's a horrible lovely frozen pizza for one, you can't get more processed than this:

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-frozen-pizzas-deluxe-pizza-for-one-frozen_f-ZmlkPTgwMzcw.html

Here's a slices from a famous new york place:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/30966587

And two slices would be a hefty lunch.

And here's a vegetarian salad from Au Bon Pain with a sesame ginger dressing

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-salads-vegetarian-deluxe-salad_f-ZmlkPTE5NDU2Ng.html
http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-salad-dressings-sesame-ginger-dressing_f-ZmlkPTE2MzUwMQ.html

And the chicken salad from some salad joint:
http://www.saladworks.com/salad/mediterranean

Salads would be much better if we didn't put dressing on them, but we do.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Obdicut posted:

Examples:

Here's a horrible lovely frozen pizza for one, you can't get more processed than this:

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-frozen-pizzas-deluxe-pizza-for-one-frozen_f-ZmlkPTgwMzcw.html

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-salads-vegetarian-deluxe-salad_f-ZmlkPTE5NDU2Ng.html
http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-salad-dressings-sesame-ginger-dressing_f-ZmlkPTE2MzUwMQ.html

This is the problem with nutrition: people "know" that fresh fruits and veg are better than frozen, and people "know" that salad is better for you than pizza, and people "know" that a roast beef sandwich is better than a burger, despite none of this being true.

This is why people get frustrated with diets: "I eat salad all the time and I haven't had a slice of pizza in months and I'm still fat :qq:" Yeah, it's because you've been conned into believing that salads have magical healthful properties and that pizza is bad for you for some reason, so you're miserable all the time because you're not eating things you like, and you're not losing weight because you're not paying attention to your calorie needs versus your calorie intake.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Obdicut posted:

I didn't reverse my opinion though. Eating straight sugar is bad for diabetics since it spikes their blood sugar. Eating white bread or a bunch of fruit is bad for the same reason. I can't tell if you are pretending not to understand this or really don't. And the rehashing is stuff that you are still wrong about, so it's probably going to keep happening.

The point, which you seem to simultaneously grasp and yet not grasp, is that food is more than just an empty and neutral vessel for a certain number of calories. Depending on how it's prepared and what's in it the human body responds differently, and these different responses are very relevant to a discussion about diet and health.

This is one of the reasons why doctors tend to recommend that a large part of our daily food intake come from plants. Because they tend to not only have high nutritional value but also because they promote a feeling satiation. The chips and cola you drink, by contrast, don't make you feel full and you're a lot more likely to eat more of it.

DARPA Dad posted:

Why do you keep saying "fresh" fruits and vegetables? What's wrong with frozen varieties or canned tomatoes from a respected brand? You type that exact phrase so often I'm surprised it hasn't overtaken your auto complete.

Usually there's no meaningful difference between, say, a bag of frozen fruit vs. a piece of fresh fruit. Sometimes canned foods can have additives like sodium for preservation.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Helsing posted:

The point, which you seem to simultaneously grasp and yet not grasp, is that food is more than just an empty and neutral vessel for a certain number of calories. Depending on how it's prepared and what's in it the human body responds differently, and these different responses are very relevant to a discussion about diet and health.

Not really, though. Calories in and out are by far the biggest nutritional deal as long as you're not deficient in any vitamins, and very few people eating a modern diet are. For diabetes, for heart conditions, etc. by far the main driver is obesity and for obesity by far the main driver is calorie count rather than calorie makeup.

quote:

This is one of the reasons why doctors tend to recommend that a large part of our daily food intake come from plants. Because they tend to not only have high nutritional value but also because they promote a feeling satiation. The chips and cola you drink, by contrast, don't make you feel full and you're a lot more likely to eat more of it.

I don't know why you keep referencing doctors. Do you think doctors are an authority on nutrition for some reason? Anyway: Yes, compared to chips, vegetables produce satiety. So does crappy 'hungry man' processed food. And 'plants' is a silly thing to say: wheat is a plant and eating bread does not produce satiety. I think you mean 'vegetables'. A lot of the problem with what you say is you seem completely careless about your terminology and get irritated with other people for not continually discerning what you really mean rather than what you actually said.

quote:

Usually there's no meaningful difference between, say, a bag of frozen fruit vs. a piece of fresh fruit. Sometimes canned foods can have additives like sodium for preservation.

And usually when you prepare fresh vegetables, you use salt. Harping on 'fresh' the way that you were is a distraction, and really makes this more of a cultural issue than an actual nutrition issue.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Obdicut posted:

Examples:

im pretty sure its from supersize-me, but the often quoted anectode of mcdonalds salads having the most calories out of any menu item is one of the more amazing things to me. not because it's true, but because people repeat it as if its useful dietary information

yeah, it has 800 calories if you empty the entire half cup of dressing made of pure liquid fat onto your salad :negative:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nigga crab pollock posted:

yeah, it has 800 calories if you empty the entire half cup of dressing made of pure liquid fat onto your salad :negative:

A pizza's probably healthier without cheese too.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

nigga crab pollock posted:

im pretty sure its from supersize-me, but the often quoted anectode of mcdonalds salads having the most calories out of any menu item is one of the more amazing things to me. not because it's true, but because people repeat it as if its useful dietary information

That's what we do, though.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i thought only using like half of the dressing packet was the normal thing to do i guess i am wrong!!

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 30, 2016

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
I didn't think any topic could provoke more spergposting than Uber, but apparantly nutrition is that special unicorn.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

wateroverfire posted:

I didn't think any topic could provoke more spergposting than Uber, but apparantly nutrition is that special unicorn.

ive eaten five ice cream sandwiches today, each of them got 3g of protein so by the time ive finished this box ill be good on my fiber and protein until tomorrow.

intuitive eating :smugdog:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Obdicut posted:

Not really, though. Calories in and out are by far the biggest nutritional deal as long as you're not deficient in any vitamins, and very few people eating a modern diet are. For diabetes, for heart conditions, etc. by far the main driver is obesity and for obesity by far the main driver is calorie count rather than calorie makeup.

That's not actually true though, or if it is then it contradicts the studies I've heard about. Huge numbers of Americans are thought to be deficient in vitamin D, people don't generally consume enough fibre, etc. Where exactly are you getting this idea that only calorie counting matters?

quote:

I don't know why you keep referencing doctors. Do you think doctors are an authority on nutrition for some reason? Anyway: Yes, compared to chips, vegetables produce satiety. So does crappy 'hungry man' processed food. And 'plants' is a silly thing to say: wheat is a plant and eating bread does not produce satiety. I think you mean 'vegetables'. A lot of the problem with what you say is you seem completely careless about your terminology and get irritated with other people for not continually discerning what you really mean rather than what you actually said.

Because doctors can also be researchers and I'm not just referring to some family doctor but rather the general consensus among a large number of health agencies and practitioners. I'm curious about where your ideas and thoughts are coming from?

Also in light of my numerous previous comments on the importance of including whole foods in your diet it's hilariously dorky and pedantic that you're now complaining that my comment on plants could be interpreted as meaning "it's fine if you just eat bread." Is it hard for you to understand that each post I make builds on my previous posts rather than negating them?

quote:

And usually when you prepare fresh vegetables, you use salt. Harping on 'fresh' the way that you were is a distraction, and really makes this more of a cultural issue than an actual nutrition issue.

This is yet another thing that was discussed upthread which you either missed or forgot. The vast majority of the salt in American diets comes from processed foods or dining at restaurants, less than 10% is typically added during home cooked meals.

wateroverfire posted:

Yeah, sorry bout your thread.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Obdicut posted:

Junk food is very calorie-dense, making it hard to moderate your intake. Most vegetables have so few calories that they are practically a rounding error. You'd have to eat a bucket of carrots to get the same calories as a serving of potato chips, and by that time your stomach would be groaning and bloated and you'd swear never to do it again. But a serving of potato chips slips down easily. I don't know any fat people who got that way by gorging on plain vegetables.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Obdicut posted:

And 'plants' is a silly thing to say: wheat is a plant and eating bread does not produce satiety. I think you mean 'vegetables'.

Good thing you pointed this out. No more will I think of bread when somebody says "plants".

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Helsing posted:

That's not actually true though, or if it is then it contradicts the studies I've heard about. Huge numbers of Americans are thought to be deficient in vitamin D, people don't generally consume enough fibre, etc. Where exactly are you getting this idea that only calorie counting matters?

From the way that you actually develop diabetes. Vitamin D is not something you readily get from plants, fiber isn't a nutrient the body uses int he same way as others. Are you saying that nutritional deficiencies are in any way comparable to obesity in terms of health problems in the US?

And please, cite your studies.

quote:

Because doctors can also be researchers and I'm not just referring to some family doctor but rather the general consensus among a large number of health agencies and practitioners. I'm curious about where your ideas and thoughts are coming from?

I work and study at a school of public health and this is an area that I work in. You are falsely representing a consensus. There is huge, huge, huge contention over what recommendations we should make both at a scientific level and a policy level.

quote:

Also in light of my numerous previous comments on the importance of including whole foods in your diet it's hilariously dorky and pedantic that you're now complaining that my comment on plants could be interpreted as meaning "it's fine if you just eat bread." Is it hard for you to understand that each post I make builds on my previous posts rather than negating them?

Yeah, it is hard for me to understand why you are so insanely sloppy with your language and do not give a poo poo about communicating well. Saying stuff like 'fresh' and 'plants' and then saying 'Oh that's not what I meant' is dumb. As I said, nobody should have to be able to figure out what you really mean, the onus on you is to actually say what you mean. Instead of whining about it, take the incredibly minimal amount of time and effort to actually speak accurately.

quote:

This is yet another thing that was discussed upthread which you either missed or forgot. The vast majority of the salt in American diets comes from processed foods or dining at restaurants, less than 10% is typically added during home cooked meals.

Yeah, but the amount of salt in a can of tomatoes is tiny, which is part of why lumping all 'processed' food together is dumb. The amount of salt in a can of tomatoes is trivial compared to what you'd use in cooking.

Look, hunts has 210mg in a can of about three cups, whereas a normal pasta sauce recipe will call for 1/4-1/2 of a teaspoon of salt, for that amount of tomatoes, which is 500-1000 mg of sodium.

http://www.hunts.com/products/tomatoes/crushed-tomatoes

Junk food is very calorie-dense, making it hard to moderate your intake. Most vegetables have so few calories that they are practically a rounding error. You'd have to eat a bucket of carrots to get the same calories as a serving of potato chips, and by that time your stomach would be groaning and bloated and you'd swear never to do it again. But a serving of potato chips slips down easily. I don't know any fat people who got that way by gorging on plain vegetables.

Why not compare potatoes to potato chips? Wouldn't that be more reasonable than carrots? And potatoes the way that they are normally prepared and made---not just a boiled, naked potato?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought this would be an interesting discussion on food waste and ways to avoid it at various levels. Nope, pages and pages of arguing what junk food is and if it's worse to eat than fresh veggies. Ok.

I'm really wondering who's doing all the food wasting though. I so rarely see it.
In my household we try not to waste any food. It mostly comes naturally. Buy food related to the meals you generally make, prioritize cooking things that involve ingredients that are going to expire sooner than others. Every now and then some spinach gets mushy or some milk will turn sour but the amount of food we actually ever have to throw away is super low. We had a discussion about food waste a while ago with some friends and discussed shopping/cooking/storing practices and everyone else seemed to be the same. Every now and then throw away a small portion of veggies, maybe some cheese went moldy and it wasn't the sort you can just scrape off. Food costs money, wasting it because you were too stupid to keep on eye on your stocks and toss poo poo into a stir fry before it goes off is shameful. I feel pretty shameful and upset if I have to throw anything away. And at restaurants pretty much everyone gets left overs packed up if it's the sort of food that's still tasty the next day.

Now of course this is just my social circle, and it's more or less how I was raised as well. My parents are probably a little worse as my dad constantly goes out to friend's places for dinner so my mom never quite knows what food to stock.

I'm curious who's doing all the household food wasting. People far richer than me or my peers who can afford to buy fancy food then throw it away? Poor people too stressed/disorganized to keep tabs on what they have and need to cook? Is it a cultural thing not an income/class thing? I know I saw a lot more food waste when visiting friends and family down in the US, but it's hardly a big enough sample group to say "americans waste more food!" or "suburban folk waste more food"

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
I definitely waste plenty of food. Fresh food comes in big portions. I buy an iceberg lettuce every week and after 3 family salads there is still half a lettuce left. Out it goes. My local supermarket only sells celery in bundles of two, and I can only use one before it is limp. Out it goes.

And I get food poisoning extremely easily, much more than you probably, so if something looks off, I dump it. No guilt, I can't afford to be ill.

So it is me doing the food wasting. Sorry.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baronjutter posted:

I'm curious who's doing all the household food wasting. People far richer than me or my peers who can afford to buy fancy food then throw it away? Poor people too stressed/disorganized to keep tabs on what they have and need to cook? Is it a cultural thing not an income/class thing? I know I saw a lot more food waste when visiting friends and family down in the US, but it's hardly a big enough sample group to say "americans waste more food!" or "suburban folk waste more food"

Probably people who buy lots of fresh food, more than they need. Other stuff doesn't go bad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I definitely waste plenty of food. Fresh food comes in big portions. I buy an iceberg lettuce every week and after 3 family salads there is still half a lettuce left. Out it goes. My local supermarket only sells celery in bundles of two, and I can only use one before it is limp. Out it goes.

And I get food poisoning extremely easily, much more than you probably, so if something looks off, I dump it. No guilt, I can't afford to be ill.

So it is me doing the food wasting. Sorry.

You don't think to change your diet/cooking to suit the portions and ingredients available? If I was regularly throwing out half a something I'd just stop eating it all together out of shame for the waste, and cheapness. I guess there's plenty of people like you though so that drives up the stats. Of course you're mostly a victim of hosed up portions at the market. I buy celery by the one, or in bunches. Can buy most "head" style veggies in halfs or even quarters. I guess if you can afford it it's probably not that bad (financially), but if I threw away half my produce I'd have to get a 2nd job.

Also when they give food waste stats is that by weight, or by value? Throwing away half a head of cabbage because you can't possibly eat it all fast enough is one thing, throwing away a big thing of meat or cheese or something very expensive is another.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 30, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

You don't think to change your diet/cooking to suit the portions and ingredients available? If I was regularly throwing out half a something I'd just stop eating it all together out of shame for the waste, and cheapness. I guess there's plenty of people like you though so that drives up the stats. Of course you're mostly a victim of hosed up portions at the market. I buy celery by the one, or in bunches. Can buy most "head" style veggies in halfs or even quarters. I guess if you can afford it it's probably not that bad (financially), but if I threw away half my produce I'd have to get a 2nd job.

Also when they give food waste stats is that by weight, or by value? Throwing away half a head of cabbage because you can't possibly eat it all fast enough is one thing, throwing away a big thing of meat or cheese or something very expensive is another.

I'm not going to stop eating salads because of the waste. I could buy pre-packed salads and waste zero, but that would be much more expensive.

You also need to consider "inedible" waste. The truly thrifty can make a delicious soup out of potato peelings, bones and the ends of courgettes, but not me, sadly.

One thing that annoys me is paying more for less. I could buy one head of celery, but it costs more than 2, because it is organic. If the supermarkets give us perverse incentives, there will be waste.

In the UK you often get supermarket deals where it is cheaper to buy two boxes of strawberries and throw one away than just buy one. Thankfully in the USA you don't seem to get BOGOF deals. I sometimes see them advertised, but if it is 2 for $2 it is also 1 for $1. Odd, but fair.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Christ this thread turned dumb as hell.

So, the current talking point is that nothing can be "bad for you" unless it's actively poisonous in like a toxic or pathogenic way?

Humans have an idiot animal part of the brain that craves salt and sweet. It craves salt because, until a couple thousand years ago, salt was in short supply while still being necessary for survival. It craves sweet because, evolution having not occurred in a vacuum, it turns out that sweet foods are often safe because plants are incentivised to get animals to eat their fruit and thereby transport seeds. By happy coincidence, sweet foods are also often calorically dense and full of vitamin content, with sugar for quick & easy energy on the go. For similar reasons to these, fat content also contributes to a thing being objectively delicious to an average human being. See: why avocados are so good, despite ostensibly tasting like diluted grass if you think about it too much.

Our glorious food-manufacturing megacorporations know these facts, and the snack industry is a race to the bottom to produce edible items that are as sweet, salty, and fatty as possible, while also being as cheap to make as possible, because they know that such a food is functionally addictive. Their target demo is the person who will gladly make an evening meal out of a full-size bag of Doritos while they watch TV or play Call of Duty or whatever, because this is a person who could be as frequent as a daily repeat customer. I'll say this about Doritos: You get a surprising amount of protein from the 12 servings of chips that constitute a whole bag- 24 grams, which is about what you'd get from a serving of chicken breast. However, that comes with your entire day's requirement of sodium, most of what is increasingly appearing to be a way overestimate of your daily carbohydrate intake, about half of some of your vitamin needs, with a payload of 1800 calories. That is to say, a sedentary person eating this way is meeting all of their caloric needs in one "meal", with very little else to show for it. If we are to follow the Doritos marketing train to the station, they likely also drank at least 20 oz of MTN DEW during this time.
This is the intended way that Doritos wants you to consume their product; they can say whatever "enjoy in moderation" feel-good bullshit they want, but the fatty/salty composition of the snack's flavor profile is designed to make a person cram as much of it into their face as possible.

Obviously, like almost anything, your Doritos are fine in moderation. I would use Doritos as croutons without a hint of irony. I would even eat a small bowl of them as an evening snack (that's portion control). I struggle to not let my buddy catch me rolling my eyes when he demolishes a party-size bag over the course of an afternoon and then complains about being fat.

The point is that over-eating a "whole food" is still in general a healthier choice than over-eating a manufactured snack food. I fuckin challenge you to eat 12 servings of chicken breast they way a person can easily eat 12 servings of Doritos. You won't want to, even if it's delicious. You might get up to 4, which is like a pound of meat and still fewer calories than 1/3 of a bag of Doritos. You'd have enough protein to support a fairly heavy lifting routine, and enough calories left out of your daily neutral requirement to fill in the vitamin and mineral gaps with other more balanced meals.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Who cares what food an individual throws away?

I could split a head of lettuce with a random neighbor and save a few bucks, but what good is that?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Obdicut posted:

From the way that you actually develop diabetes. Vitamin D is not something you readily get from plants, fiber isn't a nutrient the body uses int he same way as others. Are you saying that nutritional deficiencies are in any way comparable to obesity in terms of health problems in the US?

And please, cite your studies.

Here's a little canned summary from NPR on the CDC's report and here's a link to to the executive summary. And yes I'm well aware that you don't get vitamin D from plants, whether or not you think I'm totally wrong here you could at least acknowledge that I'm saying a bit more than "eat plants".

(Edit: to be clear, read past the headline, which confirms the average American is doing allright, and look at the numbers for certain minority populations, such as African Americans)

quote:

I work and study at a school of public health and this is an area that I work in. You are falsely representing a consensus. There is huge, huge, huge contention over what recommendations we should make both at a scientific level and a policy level.

So, for the benefit of some neutral observer, what evidence can you point to suppoting your arguments? You asked me to cite a study just now and that was fair enough, but where's your source of data here? From the perspective of an outsider all you've done is make a series of raw assertions. Try to imagine this from the perspective of someone who has no knowledge of your qualifications, whatever they may or may not be. Where do they turn to verify some of the things you've claimed?

quote:

Yeah, it is hard for me to understand why you are so insanely sloppy with your language and do not give a poo poo about communicating well. Saying stuff like 'fresh' and 'plants' and then saying 'Oh that's not what I meant' is dumb. As I said, nobody should have to be able to figure out what you really mean, the onus on you is to actually say what you mean. Instead of whining about it, take the incredibly minimal amount of time and effort to actually speak accurately.

I guess we'll have to let anyone else reading this make but their own minds but when I say "you should eat plants", in the context of a conversation where I've repeatedly advocated that people should make whole foods a part of their diet, and your response is "Heh, you mean like bread?" I think that makes you look like an idiot. If someone else has a different take away then so be it but I don't think you scored the brilliant point that you seem to think you did.

quote:

Yeah, but the amount of salt in a can of tomatoes is tiny, which is part of why lumping all 'processed' food together is dumb. The amount of salt in a can of tomatoes is trivial compared to what you'd use in cooking.

Did you just start reading the thread in the last page or two and completely ignore the preceding discussion where it was made clear that the reason one lumps together "processed food" is literally just because consumers should scrutinize the label for ingredients more closely? No one has ever claimed there's anything wrong with processed food. The point is that knowing something has been processed should invite much greater scrutiny about what's been added or done to the food, it doesn't mean you should never eat it.

Helsing fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 30, 2016

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Helsing posted:

Here's a little canned summary from NPR on the CDC's report and here's a link to to the executive summary. And yes I'm well aware that you don't get vitamin D from plants, whether or not you think I'm totally wrong here you could at least acknowledge that I'm saying a bit more than "eat plants".

(Edit: to be clear, read past the headline, which confirms the average American is doing allright, and look at the numbers for certain minority populations, such as African Americans)

So in other words, no, nutritional deficincy in the US is nowhere near, at all, the problem of obesity. Thank you.

quote:

So, for the benefit of some neutral observer, what evidence can you point to suppoting your arguments? You asked me to cite a study just now and that was fair enough, but where's your source of data here? From the perspective of an outsider all you've done is make a series of raw assertions. Try to imagine this from the perspective of someone who has no knowledge of your qualifications, whatever they may or may not be. Where do they turn to verify some of the things you've claimed?

I'm claiming the null hypothesis for most things. For "Calories are what matters for developing diabetes":

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa010492

Obesity/BMI the sole biggest predictor, with other factors coming before the diet composition.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/73/6/1019.short

Relationship between fat consumption and diabetes remains unclear

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/25/3/417.short

Relationship between fat intake and diabetes disappear when corrected for BMI. Be happy with this one, they also found that consumption of processed meats is related, but don't indicate if they corrected for BMI on that one.

quote:

I guess we'll have to let anyone else reading this make but their own minds but when I say "you should eat plants", in the context of a conversation where I've repeatedly advocated that people should make whole foods a part of their diet, and your response is "Heh, you mean like bread?" I think that makes you look like an idiot. If someone else has a different take away then so be it but I don't think you scored the brilliant point that you seem to think you did.

I didn't think you meant bread. I was saying that spreading the message 'eat plants' is dumb, and you shouldn't do it, because it's massively inaccurate. Is there some reason you are just refusing the idea that maybe it might be useful to be accurate when you speak? You seem to have almost contempt for the idea that you should bother to use the right words to say stuff.
ANd also, this was your first post:

quote:

Sorry but I'm going to go ahead and say you should buy some rice, some veggies, and some dry pasta, familiarize yourself with the stove and oven, and maybe leave the TV off for the evening and crack open a book when you're all done.

Rice and pasta are both equivalent to bread in terms of being high glycemic index foods. Pasta and rice are not good foods to recommend for healthy eating, they are calorific and easy to eat a lot of. If you're going to take the stances you are, it is nuts to recommend eating pasta and rice.

quote:

Did you just start reading the thread in the last page or two and completely ignore the preceding discussion where it was made clear that the reason one lumps together "processed food" is literally just because consumers should scrutinize the label for ingredients more closely? No one has ever claimed there's anything wrong with processed food. The point is that knowing something has been processed should invite much greater scrutiny about what's been added or done to the food, it doesn't mean you should never eat it.

But they're not going to. We know how human beings are actually going to behave when presented with complex nutritional information. Putting the calorie count on McDonald's menus goddamn backfired--people ordered more high calorie stuff. A lot of prepared food having high sodium levels is worth looking at even without a really significant finding about sodium, but that doesn't mean that prepared foods are bad. If we want to stop food waste, the absolutely best way to do that is prepared foods, frozen foods, canned foods, etc.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Obdicut posted:

So in other words, no, nutritional deficincy in the US is nowhere near, at all, the problem of obesity. Thank you.

This is pathetic. Your original claim was that no American is at serious risk of vitamin deficincies. I just showed you a report that indicates that actually some significant minority populations are at risk and your reply was to say "see, I told you obesity was a bigger problem!" Well no poo poo, nobody ever said vitamin deficiency was a worse problem than obesity of all thing.

quote:

I'm claiming the null hypothesis for most things. For "Calories are what matters for developing diabetes":

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa010492

Obesity/BMI the sole biggest predictor, with other factors coming before the diet composition.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/73/6/1019.short

Relationship between fat consumption and diabetes remains unclear

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/25/3/417.short

Relationship between fat intake and diabetes disappear when corrected for BMI. Be happy with this one, they also found that consumption of processed meats is related, but don't indicate if they corrected for BMI on that one.

That's all very interesting but actually what I meant was that I was hoping you could demonstrate that "processed food" is a hugely controversial label rather than a term that practically all health care experts seem to use regularly. Given that even here you're posting a study using the term "processed meats" I feel like you're just demonstrating that actually there's nothing controversial about using that kind of language.

quote:

I didn't think you meant bread. I was saying that spreading the message 'eat plants' is dumb, and you shouldn't do it, because it's massively inaccurate. Is there some reason you are just refusing the idea that maybe it might be useful to be accurate when you speak? You seem to have almost contempt for the idea that you should bother to use the right words to say stuff.

No, I'm advocating this radical idea called "reading things in context".

quote:

ANd also, this was your first post:

Rice and pasta are both equivalent to bread in terms of being high glycemic index foods. Pasta and rice are not good foods to recommend for healthy eating, they are calorific and easy to eat a lot of. If you're going to take the stances you are, it is nuts to recommend eating pasta and rice.

What stance do you think I'm taking and why does it make what I said there "nuts"?

quote:

But they're not going to. We know how human beings are actually going to behave when presented with complex nutritional information. Putting the calorie count on McDonald's menus goddamn backfired--people ordered more high calorie stuff. A lot of prepared food having high sodium levels is worth looking at even without a really significant finding about sodium, but that doesn't mean that prepared foods are bad.

This is actually a really great illustration of why nutritional guides use simplified heuristics such as advising people to balance between processed foods and whole foods. While these guides all make clear that processed food isn't inherently bad and that the main thing to do is to check the label for ingredients, they also provide a straight forward and easily actionable plan that, if followed through, will reliably help you ensure you strike a reasonable balance in your diet between caloric intake, satiety, and getting the right mix of micro and macro nutrients.

quote:

If we want to stop food waste, the absolutely best way to do that is prepared foods, frozen foods, canned foods, etc.

Sure, but I never claimed that food waste is reduced by eating more fresh food.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Helsing posted:

This is pathetic. Your original claim was that no American is at serious risk of vitamin deficincies.

No, it wasn't.

quote:

Calories in and out are by far the biggest nutritional deal as long as you're not deficient in any vitamins, and very few people eating a modern diet are.

That's what I said. Why on earth would you try to claim otherwise?

quote:

That's all very interesting but actually what I meant was that I was hoping you could demonstrate that "processed food" is a hugely controversial label rather than a term that practically all health care experts seem to use regularly. Given that even here you're posting a study using the term "processed meats" I feel like you're just demonstrating that actually there's nothing controversial about using that kind of language.

Processed meats is a meaningful term, barely. Processed foods isn't. And they operationalized it in the study. There have been very good reasons given to you why 'processed' is overly broad, and I don't get why you refuse to acknowledge them.

But anyway, yeah, all those studies were showing that composition of diet does not matter nearly as much as BMI/obesity for diabetes formation.

quote:

What stance do you think I'm taking and why does it make what I said there "nuts"?

You've changed your stances back and forth at a whim, abandoning 'fresh', for example, but in general you're advocating people don't eat 'unhealthy' prepacked foods and were offering rice, veggies, and pasta as the better alternative. Veggies are good, but the other two are unhealthy in terms of glycemic index, lack of other meaningful nutrients, and being calorific. I'm sorry, I should have twigged to this earlier.

quote:

This is actually a really great illustration of why nutritional guides use simplified heuristics such as advising people to balance between processed foods and whole foods. While these guides all make clear that processed food isn't inherently bad and that the main thing to do is to check the label for ingredients, they also provide a straight forward and easily actionable plan that, if followed through, will reliably help you ensure you strike a reasonable balance in your diet between caloric intake, satiety, and getting the right mix of micro and macro nutrients.

But what actually happens when you provide people with that guide? What is the actual, real-world result?

quote:

Sure, but I never claimed that food waste is reduced by eating more fresh food.

This was all an intentional derail?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

The over consumption of sugar is one of the biggest problems we have and explains much of America's obesity epidemic.

And no, unless you're going to sperg out and say that baking a loaf of bread is processing it. I am not the one claiming "unprocessed" means "one ingredient."

I know this is a little ways back but holy poo poo if milling, adding salt and sugar, and then fermenting something doesn't count as "processing" then we've really hit peak useless terminology here.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Obdicut posted:

No, it wasn't.

That's what I said. Why on earth would you try to claim otherwise?

Well, unless you're claiming, in a"No-true-scotsman" kind of way, that the millions of people suffering from vitamin deficiencies in America aren't really eating a "modern diet" (talk about a slippery and vague word coming from the prophet of linguistic precision himself!) then I'm not sure how else to interpret what you said there.

quote:

Processed meats is a meaningful term, barely. Processed foods isn't. And they operationalized it in the study. There have been very good reasons given to you why 'processed' is overly broad, and I don't get why you refuse to acknowledge them.

I don't know why processed meat is fine but processed food is somehow bad in your mind, but I'm honestly just glad you're willing to acknowledge that "processed meat" is a useful category for analyzing food health. No one else on your "side" or this debate has actually been willing to acknowledge that up to this point.

quote:

But anyway, yeah, all those studies were showing that composition of diet does not matter nearly as much as BMI/obesity for diabetes formation.

I'm not disputing that. I'm suggesting that you're really overlooking the extent to which different kinds of food lead to different behaviors from the people eating the food, which is highly relevant to this discussion and which has been brought up many times.

quote:

You've changed your stances back and forth at a whim, abandoning 'fresh', for example, but in general you're advocating people don't eat 'unhealthy' prepacked foods and were offering rice, veggies, and pasta as the better alternative. Veggies are good, but the other two are unhealthy in terms of glycemic index, lack of other meaningful nutrients, and being calorific. I'm sorry, I should have twigged to this earlier.

My position has been perfectly clear and hasn't changed.

At no point have I said that people shouldn't eat prepackaged meals or processed foods. You're a bad reader and aren't debating in even remotely good faith, leaving me with the unenviable choice of either repeating myself or digging up old quotes from days ago when I addressed exactly the tired and asinine criticisms that twodot and Discendo Vox were making.

quote:

But what actually happens when you provide people with that guide? What is the actual, real-world result?

In my experience people whose health is basically fine rarely pay much attention but many people who are getting older or facing some kind of health situation pay very close attention to these nutritional guides and do seem to get some good use out of them.

If you know of any studies on the influence of nutritional guides on behaviour at the population level then that'd be very interesting to read about but I'm not directly familiar with any such research.

quote:

This was all an intentional derail?

Its a conversation that evolved naturally over time. I'm now pretty convinced you only skimmed the early parts of the thread and jumped into the debate without fully understanding who was arguing what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Helsing posted:

I don't know why processed meat is fine but processed food is somehow bad in your mind, but I'm honestly just glad you're willing to acknowledge that "processed meat" is a useful category for analyzing food health. No one else on your "side" or this debate has actually been willing to acknowledge that up to this point.
"Processed meat" where processed is defined as exactly equivalent to preserved, such that we can replace all instances of "processed meats" with "preserved meats" is a class that at least be reasoned about (which is a thing I've said before). In that scenario, using "processed meats" is still stupid, because you're deliberately obscuring the thing that actually differentiates the group.

• Locked thread