Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

cowofwar posted:

Vanvouver is for mainlander princelings with supercars, not poor people like you.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/teen-driver-charged-after-allegedly-going-5-times-speed-limit-1.3512770

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I used to spend some time at a remote office in Hamilton and a coworker was telling me about the whole cottage thing. Apparently the roads throughout the GTA are jammed every Friday and Sunday from spring to fall as everyone hustles out to do some sweet relaxing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is it just because pleasant-ish nature is just so much farther away for people in Ontario that they need cabins? I can be in a variety of spectacular provincial parks with lakes within a 15-20 min drive, so there's no need to stay over night to make the trip worth it.

How far away is the typical Ontario cabin? Hours?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Cabins are the Vancouver equivalent of wearing overpriced ~technical cashmere~ and bougie rubber boots right? In other words a continuous uninterrupted conversation with rodeo clown which is a huge rear end humble brag

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Baronjutter posted:

Is it just because pleasant-ish nature is just so much farther away for people in Ontario that they need cabins? I can be in a variety of spectacular provincial parks with lakes within a 15-20 min drive, so there's no need to stay over night to make the trip worth it.

2 hours, 5 with traffic. There's always traffic.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

EvilJoven posted:

A lot of cottage owners are second or third generation and their (grand)parents bought back when wages were higher and property was a lot cheaper.

A lot of them are now selling the family cottage because the taxes have skyrocketed because rear end in a top hat 1%ers keep tearing down these little cottages to build massive mansions.

Nothing like trying to drive up north to visit family on a long weekend and spending Friday being stuck on the 400 behind a never ending column of X5s Cayennes and Audi wagons with the occasional budget Lambo weaving back and forth cutting people off and ending up gaining about a quarter mile between the 407 and Barrie.

gently caress Southern Ontario.

There are a lot of fun stories of families tearing themselves apart in probate over who gets the cottage. My mom occasionally considers taking out a second mortgage (at age 60+) so she could have a cottage.

Helsing posted:

My mom's side of the family had one three hours away on a very dangerous road. The thing I don't really understand is that most people with cottages don't do outdoorsy things with them - it's just another place to drink beer? They don't go for hikes or rambles, maybe they canoe and fish once a month or something, they drive into town (rather than walk) every time they need a jug of milk. It's like your lovely small town away from your lovely former small town.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Most of my eastern european family had dachas. It made sense if you're living in a horrible mega-city surrounded by industrial wasteland. Everyone lived in cramped apartments too, so having a house, a garden, that was a big deal. They also have really nice long government mandated vacation time, so anyone who was anyone managed to get some little cabin on a little plot of land in the country. These generally didn't have any utilities and could vary from a true hovel-like 1-room cabin to a little suburban house. Often a family would pool together to own/maintain one. If you were rich enough to own a car you'd probably drive, but many people would take a bus or train to these little dacha villages, which were generally supported by an actual village of some sort with a little collection of shops and services around the train or bus station. People would mostly go to work hard in their gardens and could get pretty competitive over who's tomatoes or what ever were best.

I don't quite understand the appeal/need for a cabin though if most of your population is already living in single family suburbia where everyone has a lawn and can garden any time they want. I get it if you're stuck in an apartment/condo and have a real green thumb and love for nature. Sounds like in Ontario's case it's mostly cultural inertia and class signalling.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

When you live in most of Southern Ontario especially the GTA the entire place is a loving choked nightmare and even the parks are full of people throwing around garbage, listening to terrible music nobody would want their kids to hear and making going to parks a horrible place.

Except when you get like a gigantic Phillipino family reunion or something happen because then the sound of families having fun and kids playing along with the smell of fantastic BBQ drowns out the sound of assholes blaring garbage music and the stink of weed.

For camping in parks anywhere that's less than a 3 hour drive you basically have to decide what weekends you want to go camping in a park and book the first few days the online booking system is brought online for the year or you won't get a site. If you don't book on either a radio free weekend or in a radio free section you are pretty much guaranteed that there will be at least 1 site in your section full of frat boys that are using the Jeep their parents bought them as a stereo all weekend. It usually happens on the first night in the radio free sections but at least you get to watch them get forced to pack their poo poo and leave at 8am Saturday morning so only your first night is ruined.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
On weekends in Whistler now it's basically impossible to go northbound to the village on Friday nights from around 4-7 and then southbound on Sundays from at about the same time. It's gotten so bad, especially leaving the resort on Sundays, that the municipality has taken to full on disabling the southbound traffic lights at peak times to stop the backup in traffic.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
See also: Calgary to Fernie.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Cottages (we call them cabins) are pretty nice they are in the woods you can fish and hunt from your front door or go on snowmobile or boat if that's your thing. I live in a podunk town of 15 thousand but still have a cottage in the woods to retreat to about 2 hours away. Maybe the Ontario version is different than the Newfoundland one though. Theres much worse ways to spend your money, I'm sure most of the people who go out to their cottage would live there full time if it were viable.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

flashman posted:

Cottages (we call them cabins) are pretty nice they are in the woods you can fish and hunt from your front door or go on snowmobile or boat if that's your thing. I live in a podunk town of 15 thousand but still have a cottage in the woods to retreat to about 2 hours away. Maybe the Ontario version is different than the Newfoundland one though. Theres much worse ways to spend your money, I'm sure most of the people who go out to their cottage would live there full time if it were viable.

I mean, many cottages in Ontario are like that but you have to go pretty far up north for that now. In "cottage country" you typically now see large suburban homes. It's weird because most people just do the same poo poo they do at home on the weekends because all the amenities are there also, rather than do outdoorsy stuff.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

HookShot posted:

On weekends in Whistler now it's basically impossible to go northbound to the village on Friday nights from around 4-7 and then southbound on Sundays from at about the same time. It's gotten so bad, especially leaving the resort on Sundays, that the municipality has taken to full on disabling the southbound traffic lights at peak times to stop the backup in traffic.

If you're gonna go to Whistler you might as well go all-out and charter a chopper.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My parents have a cottage in Norway they inherited from a previous generation. I dunno what the gently caress I'm gonna do with it when I get older, since I won't have the time, money, or inclination to travel there enough to use it.

Why would you want to travel to the same place every summer? The world is huge and filled with a amazing stuff, go see different things.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Ccs posted:

Why would you want to travel to the same place every summer? The world is huge and filled with a amazing stuff, go see different things.

For some people it would be pretty fun to buy some bare land in the woods by a lake and then build a cool cabin from scratch on it over a decade or so. I have a friend that's doing this on one of the Gulf Islands and I'm a bit jealous. I assume that's how a lot of cottage country got started ages ago. As EvilJoven said, at this point a lot of people in Southern Ontario are staying in their great grandfather's cabin that they inherited.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
So where are yall team :getout: fleeing towards anyway? It seems all major Canadian cities are merely in a ridiculous bubble, as opposed to Vancouver's histerical bubble.

Mrs. Wynand fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 31, 2016

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

For some people it would be pretty fun to buy some bare land in the woods by a lake and then build a cool cabin from scratch on it over a decade or so. I have a friend that's doing this on one of the Gulf Islands and I'm a bit jealous. I assume that's how a lot of cottage country got started ages ago. As EvilJoven said, at this point a lot of people in Southern Ontario are staying in their great grandfather's cabin that they inherited.

If I could find a good cheap patch of land I'd be all over this.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

I moved to Central BC. It's ok. The lack of diversity is really getting to me.

I can only handle so much white.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Mr. Wynand posted:

So where are yall team :getout: fleeing towards anyway? It seems all major Canadian cities are merely in a ridiculous bubble, as opposed to Vancouver's histerical bubble.

Further into suburbia because all the jobs are in Toronto. The alternative is living in a tiny woefully overpriced condo with $600 in maint fees or your million dollar victorian 15x135 ft semi house.

(I don't actually work in TO proper right now :getin:)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm in Halifax, where the housing is reasonable. But also there aren't many jobs in NS, so people are leaving. I'm also not thinking of buying.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

A lot of cottage owners are second or third generation and their (grand)parents bought back when wages were higher and property was a lot cheaper.

A lot of them are now selling the family cottage because the taxes have skyrocketed because rear end in a top hat 1%ers keep tearing down these little cottages to build massive mansions.

Nothing like trying to drive up north to visit family on a long weekend and spending Friday being stuck on the 400 behind a never ending column of X5s Cayennes and Audi wagons with the occasional budget Lambo weaving back and forth cutting people off and ending up gaining about a quarter mile between the 407 and Barrie.

gently caress Southern Ontario.

I never did get you guys a picture of the 400 through Barrie last summer to prove just home many of these idiots there are did I? Ill remedy that this year. If the weather stays mild it could be as early as the end of April, though the May long weekend will be the big one that officially starts the summer cottage journey for the masses.

Weird thing I noticed last summer though was that you see quite a few American plates making the trek now too. That one really baffles me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Weird thing I noticed last summer though was that you see quite a few American plates making the trek now too. That one really baffles me.

They get a 30% discount on Canadian cottage prices now. Places here have taken to writing their prices in CAD and USD when advertising.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

I work with a guy for whom this is a dream. However he thinks that despite having no construction knowledge or permitting he can throw a pile of sticks together and call it a house. When I told him there are building codes and such that he'd have to follow he went on the longest sovereign citizen type rants I've ever heard in real life.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

Femtosecond posted:

My friend who's going to inherit a Southern Ontario family cottage was saying that after WW2 the government released a lot of land from government ownership (crown land maybe? I don't recall), or they relaxed the rules about where you could buy, and you could get a plot practically for free. His gramps grabbed a plot and built cabins for his brothers and sisters. The whole spread's probably worth multi-millions.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

I never did get you guys a picture of the 400 through Barrie last summer to prove just home many of these idiots there are did I? Ill remedy that this year. If the weather stays mild it could be as early as the end of April, though the May long weekend will be the big one that officially starts the summer cottage journey for the masses.

I don't need a picture. I lived it. That rear end in a top hat in a budget lambo was something I witnessed first hand.

Mr. Wynand posted:

I moved to Winnipeg, it appears to be the only place in Canada with jobs and reasonable housing prices in proximity to each other. No it's not glamorous and yes it has its problems but holy hell is it ever better than the endless suburbs of Toronto.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Flocons de Jambon posted:

My friend who's going to inherit a Southern Ontario family cottage was saying that after WW2 the government released a lot of land from government ownership (crown land maybe? I don't recall), or they relaxed the rules about where you could buy, and you could get a plot practically for free. His gramps grabbed a plot and built cabins for his brothers and sisters. The whole spread's probably worth multi-millions.

That sounds very likely to me. It reminds me of the fact that once upon a time land in White Rock was given away when you bought a magazine subscription. White Rock is now a desirable distant suburb of Vancouver.

At one point land in Canada was very, very cheap.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/january-gdp-economy-1.3514012

Canada's economy has grown for 4 consecutive months.

quote:

Oil and gas, manufacturing, retail trade, utilities and finance all expanded. Wholesale trade and the arts, entertainment and recreation sectors shrank.

The mining sector shrank, mainly as a result of a decline in copper, nickel, lead and zinc.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Femtosecond posted:

At one point land in Canada was very, very cheap.

'Kids these days want everything handed to them'

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

It's clearly due to the good management of PMJT

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Flocons de Jambon posted:

that's how my grandparents got their's on lake Muskoka.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 25, 2018

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I would pay $10 to unsee those satellite photos/streetview images of Pipestone, MB that I just looked at.

Also, there are terms and conditions. You can't just sit on that worthless land for 100 years without building foundations for a new home.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya this isn't practically free waterfront property on a clean lake with road access so the two don't really compare.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

bartlebyshop posted:

My mom's side of the family had one three hours away on a very dangerous road. The thing I don't really understand is that most people with cottages don't do outdoorsy things with them - it's just another place to drink beer? They don't go for hikes or rambles, maybe they canoe and fish once a month or something, they drive into town (rather than walk) every time they need a jug of milk. It's like your lovely small town away from your lovely former small town.

Yeah, gently caress, you nailed it. It always kinda bugged me me. I grew up hiking in Alberta and knew people with cool cabins, but Ontario cottage culture is shameful. There's something about lakes that just turn people into idiots who just want to sit around and drink beer while staring at their lovely lake. I mean not that there's anything that wrong with that, but gently caress, you could have done that at home. As for the areas themselves, so much of it is so developed cause apparently everyone in southern Ontario wants a cottage that it's like an endless commercialized vaguely rural suburbia with none of the modern convenience. Maybe this is some grass is greener type poo poo but I just don't get it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Most of the kids at school went to the cottage, and my parents and I went to my grandparents' farm. Bailing hey never seemed quite as fun as hanging out on a deck.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

A friend of mine got me to sign up for internet dating (mostly to show her what a cesspool my current town is), and I swear to God, every single non-creepy weirdo girl lists going up to a cottage as a hobby.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

mojo1701a posted:

A friend of mine got me to sign up for internet dating (mostly to show her what a cesspool my current town is), and I swear to God, every single non-creepy weirdo girl lists going up to a cottage as a hobby.

That's because it's a subtle way to say they have a little bit of wealth behind them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

attackmole posted:

Yeah, gently caress, you nailed it. It always kinda bugged me me. I grew up hiking in Alberta and knew people with cool cabins, but Ontario cottage culture is shameful. There's something about lakes that just turn people into idiots who just want to sit around and drink beer while staring at their lovely lake. I mean not that there's anything that wrong with that, but gently caress, you could have done that at home. As for the areas themselves, so much of it is so developed cause apparently everyone in southern Ontario wants a cottage that it's like an endless commercialized vaguely rural suburbia with none of the modern convenience. Maybe this is some grass is greener type poo poo but I just don't get it.

You can't drink liquor and/or smoke weed and swim at the same time unless you're on your own property that fronts onto a lake, or you have your own pool.

Some people also value the psychological separation between "vacation" and "home," where they'll drink/smoke more on vacation/at the cottage than they would do at home, all without feeling bad about it.

I don't think it's worth it, but that's why people do it. Mind you, my job also gives me the flexibility to go on vacation pretty much whenever the gently caress I like, instead of having to cram my off-time into "weekends," so I probably don't get the full value they do.

My buddy has a nice compromise. He bought a lot at a trailer park/campground thingy up by a lake, and he keeps a little trailer up there. Minimal costs and easy to move if necessary.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Mr. Wynand posted:

For a long time my :getout: plan was to head south to San Francisco for those sky high tech industry wages, but at this point the housing market there is red hot too and even overpaid brogrammers seem to be whining about the cost of living. I wonder if I've missed the window and I should have moved down five years ago.

I'll keep my eye on job opportunities down south, but I'll probably just stay in Vancouver. I'm single and though rents are increasing, and vacancy decreasing, the rental situation isn't at a crisis point yet*.

If I was considering starting a family in Vancouver I'd definitely be looking to move elsewhere. At this point you cannot possibly afford family oriented housing in the inner suburbs even if you're making a very good upper middle class income. The City of Vancouver and New West have said that they're focused on producing more family oriented housing, but they announced this like last year, so it'll be years before any real supply arrives.

I guess if I did have a family I'd be looking at Seattle or Portland, two markets that are also very hot. Victoria would be a good one, but I don't know if there's enough jobs. I agree with what you're saying. All Canadian markets are also pretty overpriced and being affected by the housing bubble.

* Make sure to save this post for when I'm evicted so that my landlord can rent my place out on Airbnb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Mr. Wynand posted:

America. At least, that's the plan.