Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Canemacar posted:

Twilight. It's literally the exact same set up as Twilight.

The only thing that sparkles is his personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

And boy does it!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cheshire Puss posted:

I doubt I'll ever watch the Lucifer show, but I can't help but be curious. Why does he solve crimes? Boredom?

He plays Lucifer less like the Prince of Darkness, and more like one of the spoiled brats off Made in Chelsea, and it's glorious

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

snergle posted:

i should of clarified it with s1-s2 of xfiles I tried to rewatch and couldnt get out of s1

IMO, the X-Files doesn't start getting *really* good until "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" in season three, which I think is when they first fully embraced that the show could and should be funny as hell at times while keeping the other aspects intact. The first two seasons certainly had their moments, but I always thought the show was at it's best when they sort of messed around with the structure a bit or got a little meta. Helps that the characters and mythos were firmly established at that point, of course. The trade-off is that at some point in the later seasons they kinda started running out of ideas, and while the dialogue and direction were as good as ever, the plots themselves could get pretty stupid and repetitive.

Season three is also great for the presence of "Syzygy", which is high school horror done right, and "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'", which may just be a perfect hour of television.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

He plays Lucifer less like the Prince of Darkness, and more like one of the spoiled brats off Made in Chelsea, and it's glorious

Unless you've read the comic they derived it from.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

snergle posted:

i should of clarified it with s1-s2 of xfiles I tried to rewatch and couldnt get out of s1

The first season has Squeeze and Beyond the Sea, which are both top-tier and MoTW episodes. The second season has The Host and Humbug, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

he is playing it almost identical to the comic. Snarky wise rear end who would spite an entire universe because he has to be right but still has a heart of gold.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
So I'm re-watching The Martian.

Watney is stuck on Mars with nowhere near enough food to survive without growing crops-- a difficult prospect, as there are no natural bacteria on Mars to aid in fertilization. As he puts it, "I'm going to need to science the poo poo out of this."

So what does he do? He takes the vacuum-sealed poop that he and his fellow astronauts had been keeping in a box outside the Hab and he does stuff to mix it into a viable fertilizer.

Watney did exactly what he said he'd need to do: he scienced the poo poo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Something I didn't quite get with the Martian. When he preps the rover for his final journey, he cuts a hole in the roof and seals it with HAB material. This create a bubble on the rover when the interior pressurizes. In the book, the rovers had airlocks, but not in the movie. Yet the bubble is still there even when the cabin depressurizes.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

All those rover mods made way more sense in the book. I saw the movie and loved it enough to buy the book afterward. I appreciated that they had to cut some stuff for the adaption, but it seems like they kept all the rover modification stuff because it was cool, and removed half the reasons he needed all of it in the first place. A+ movie and book both IMO. At this point I'm so used to Hollywood dumbing science stuff down to the point where it ceases to make any sense at all so in the end I'm pretty happy with what was kept/added to make it a little more movie-ish.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

snergle posted:

he is playing it almost identical to the comic. Snarky wise rear end who would spite an entire universe because he has to be right but still has a heart of gold.

Ah, yes, a heart of gold. This is the character who found two people dying of thirst in his home and left them to die because one of them invoked God.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Jedit posted:

Ah, yes, a heart of gold. This is the character who found two people dying of thirst in his home and left them to die because one of them invoked God.

He still gets super pissed at that and is profoundly selfish. But the series seems to be building toward some sort of redemption or reconciliation. Not sure at this point.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There is a hell of a lot of thematic whatsis in Zootopia, but here's a subtle one that's very easy to miss:

When Nick grabs a handful of blueberries from Judy's truck, he wraps them in a red cloth he's carrying. It's his scout neckerchief. He then uses it to do first aid on Judy when she's hurt.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jedit posted:

He's just as much to blame for them dying as God is. :can:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

An old one from Demolition Man.

We all know that whenever John Spartan swears he gets fined one credit for 'violation of the verbal morality statute'.

But I just noticed that when Huxley swears about her boss at the start of the film she gets fined half a credit 'for a sotto voce violation of the verbal morality statute'. Or in other words, she got fined less money because she swore under her breath and no-one heard her.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jabby posted:

An old one from Demolition Man.

We all know that whenever John Spartan swears he gets fined one credit for 'violation of the verbal morality statute'.

But I just noticed that when Huxley swears about her boss at the start of the film she gets fined half a credit 'for a sotto voce violation of the verbal morality statute'. Or in other words, she got fined less money because she swore under her breath and no-one heard her.

It's a really good movie except for the Denis Leary parts.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It's a really good movie except for the Denis Leary parts.
Yeah, what was the point of that guy? Like, at all, not just in Demolition Man.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, what was the point of that guy? Like, at all, not just in Demolition Man.

Somebody has to personally suck the dick of every firefighter in America, and Leary is the only one with enough chapstick to pull it off

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

"Really good except for the Denis Leary parts" describes a lot of Denis Leary's work.

Without him No Cure for Cancer is a tight half hour of Bill Hicks jokes followed by a lovely little guitar instrumental.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymltNm4p2VY

:rip: giraldo

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Jedit posted:

he went to fake chineese hell to get whatshername back and i'm pretty sure if he had been infront of yawhew instead of dealing with lilith he would of voted to save the universes. Didn't he stop destruction from going fenrir all over poo poo? I mean he did kill michael to start it but that was an accident. he could of easily of let ragnarok go on as it wouldn't effect his no heaven / hell universe.

There were some things that would piss him off no matter what like lying and invoking god.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

^^^^^ He also manipulates Solomon into getting revenge for him and (I think) judging and redeeming Christopher. But all of his good/noble actions are for people he respects and works with, he's driven more by loyalty than a heart of gold.

Jedit posted:

Unless you've read the comic they derived it from.

Comic lucifer would consider show lucifer to be completely beneath his contempt. That makes it even funnier to me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

snergle posted:

he went to fake chineese hell to get whatshername back

Fake China, also known as "Japan".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jedit posted:

Fake China, also known as "Japan".

Or if you ask China, "Taiwan".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

"mcdonalds"

lmbo

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Wow that was brutal.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Leary is a horrible poo poo person and I wish he died instead of Greg.

It sounds horrible to say that but at least the world balance would still be intact. And even if not, at least that dirtfuck would be gone.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Leary is a horrible poo poo person and I wish he died instead of Greg.

It sounds horrible to say that but at least the world balance would still be intact. And even if not, at least that dirtfuck would be gone.

And we'd be up 1 actually good comedian who doesn't ape Bill Hicks.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Louis CK claims he's also a shameless joke thief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHqw54sQZgE#t=3m00s

Denis Leary sucks and that Giraldo clip is pure gold every time I see it.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

God Hole posted:

Louis CK claims he's also a shameless joke thief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHqw54sQZgE#t=3m00s

Denis Leary sucks and that Giraldo clip is pure gold every time I see it.

I wouldn't say shameless. Louis CK in that clip even mentions that Leary was willing to cough up some guilt money later for a film Louis was trying to make years later. He's still a thief and a lovely comic but shameless? Nah.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I have a friend who swears this is a subtle movie moment, but I'm not exactly following...

Big BvS spoilers ahoy!
The reason that Batman makes a big fuckoff kryptonite spear is because the entire story of Superman is a Christ allegory, and in the bible Christ got stabbed with a spear to kill him. Then, later, the dirt being all floaty signals he's rising from the dead after a few days, just like Jesus did. Neither one of us kept up any clue of how long it was between death and burial though, so that one's a longer shot.

I mean, I kinda get it as it did seem a bit odd that instead of making bullets or something he made a giant fuckoff spear, but I think that was more due to Synder wanting the movie to look cool, and less about some mythology he was trying to use. Synder isn't exactly subtle.

Like I said, makes a weird kind of sense, but I think he's giving the director WAY too much credit on this one.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I have a friend who swears this is a subtle movie moment, but I'm not exactly following...

Big BvS spoilers ahoy!
The reason that Batman makes a big fuckoff kryptonite spear is because the entire story of Superman is a Christ allegory, and in the bible Christ got stabbed with a spear to kill him. Then, later, the dirt being all floaty signals he's rising from the dead after a few days, just like Jesus did. Neither one of us kept up any clue of how long it was between death and burial though, so that one's a longer shot.

I mean, I kinda get it as it did seem a bit odd that instead of making bullets or something he made a giant fuckoff spear, but I think that was more due to Synder wanting the movie to look cool, and less about some mythology he was trying to use. Synder isn't exactly subtle.

Like I said, makes a weird kind of sense, but I think he's giving the director WAY too much credit on this one.

Not when you consider Snyder's Christian and artistic schooling, he isn't. I'd say it's deliberate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The dirt thing is a callback to Man of Steel. When he first wears the costume and is about to take off there's kind of a field around him that causes things to start floating.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Exactly, that's what I meant in the spoiler about that's how we know he's coming back from the dead

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Um, I'm pretty sure Jesus's mother's name wasn't Martha though.... Case closed on this one.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Big BvS spoilers ahoy!

The US release was also Good Friday.

Diddums
Jan 31, 2014
Man of Steel had Superman float backwards arms outspread against the backdrop of the world after his father told him that he could save them all, and have a conversation with a priest about Jesus' feelings towards his death in front of a stained-glass window of Jesus while saying he's 33. It's a little past subtle as this point.

Edit - Also Zack Snyder told CNN that they put Christ parallels in Man of Steel. https://www.cnn.com/2013/06/14/showbiz/zack-snyder-man-of-steel

Diddums has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Apr 4, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also the movie calls him God like 37 times.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I'm like 95% sure they refer to him being 33 in MoS as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I'm like 95% sure they refer to him being 33 in MoS as well

They do indeed.