Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Loopoo posted:

Two assemblers making fast inserters is perfectly fine. Inserters are really, really quick to make, so why would you want 100 assemblers churning them out? Red circuits take loving eons to finish though.

PS: What I'm trying to say is you're doing fine and as long as your happy with your factory, it don't matter none how shiny other factories are, cause they're not your own.

Quote for truth. Everyone has a different approach to factory building, not to mention different goals that they're trying to meet.

But yeah red circuits take 8 seconds to craft by hand, and you need tons of them. Setting up 20 assemblers to churn them out and throw them on a bus is just one approach to solving that problem.

CanOfMDAmp posted:

The problem with this kind of question is scale. I have about 100 total red circuit assemblers, but I've gone with both methods. One set is for logistics bots to shuffle around for smaller-produced items, while I've got dedicated assemblers for speed modules and Processing Units.

I think I'll end up doing this, to be honest. I'd like to get a nice thick bus of them running, but anything that requires massive amounts of them is probably better served with dedicated factories. Modules and blue circuits are the main offenders, like you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

Early game in that mod seems like it'd be so mind numbingly boring. Late game would be fun as hell though, once you've got an army of construction bots to tear down the Amazon rainforest. Biters are super dense though, you'll be facing massive swarms.

To put it in perspective, I used about 200 grenades clearing that area, I've been burning nothing but wood in the furnaces (12 hours play so far) and I *still* have over 22,000 raw wood in storage... I have cut down a lot of trees, my wrist is not happy.

Jabor posted:

It's a little better than clear land, but you only need 6 trees on a chunk before the land is absorbing more pollution than the water, and there looks like a lot more than 6 trees per chunk there.

The mod works by letting the game spawn you, all the biters etc then puts a tree on every single unoccupied space... On the plus side, the biters can't expand (they can't even move) and the pollution absorption is amazing. If I get time to play the plan is to get blue science going now I have oil set up then head south and take out the smaller nest. I might test attacking the huge wall to the west and find out if it's one big nest or a bunch of merged smaller ones. If it's multiple nests I can probably take it out.

Node posted:

When I read things like this, and then look at my grand total of two assemblers making fast inserters, I ask myself if I am playing the game wrong.

Not wrong, just your way. I don't build more than 20 or 30 myself. Some people like to make huge factories with 100 labs, furnaces by the acre. I don't mind things taking their own time and while my few dozen assemblers work away I fiddle about with circuit networks mostly. Or drive around in a tank shooting things. Building small/medium isn't a problem so long as it works for you. If you find yourself aggravated because it's just not fast enough damnit, build more.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Have you tried dropping an explosive termite on the forest? :allears:

The termites are ridiculous -- like Landfill, they feel like they give too much power to the player, in my opinion. Except Termites are even stronger than Landfill.
There's nothing like watching an entire 4 chunks of trees just disappear in seconds.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Solumin posted:

Quote for truth. Everyone has a different approach to factory building, not to mention different goals that they're trying to meet.

But yeah red circuits take 8 seconds to craft by hand, and you need tons of them. Setting up 20 assemblers to churn them out and throw them on a bus is just one approach to solving that problem.

I think I'll end up doing this, to be honest. I'd like to get a nice thick bus of them running, but anything that requires massive amounts of them is probably better served with dedicated factories. Modules and blue circuits are the main offenders, like you said.

I prefer that my factory be comprised of modular parts that can be stamped out easily. Designing massive interchanges to account for multiple lanes of multiple products sucks, so I just make sure that each of my "modules" only takes in iron and copper plates. It simplifies the bus while still creating an easy to use pathway from plate drop off at my train station to finished products.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'd do the toxic forest iff I also started play with a couple construction drones.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Solumin posted:

Have you tried dropping an explosive termite on the forest? :allears:

The termites are ridiculous -- like Landfill, they feel like they give too much power to the player, in my opinion. Except Termites are even stronger than Landfill.
There's nothing like watching an entire 4 chunks of trees just disappear in seconds.

The alien termite one is amazing, we had them in an MP game and it's lovely fireworks but it slows the whole game down for a while blowing up thousands of trees. I didn't add them to the forest game because it'd be cheating and defeat the purpose of the trees in the first place.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I'd do the toxic forest iff I also started play with a couple construction drones.

There's a mod for that Pocket bots start

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ratzap posted:

The alien termite one is amazing, we had them in an MP game and it's lovely fireworks but it slows the whole game down for a while blowing up thousands of trees. I didn't add them to the forest game because it'd be cheating and defeat the purpose of the trees in the first place.

There's a mod for that Pocket bots start

What's the difference between alien and regular explosive termites?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Solumin posted:

I assume that alien termites are the bigger, fancier version.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Solumin posted:

5 regular ones plus some stuff make an alien one. The alien ones explode for about 20 seconds locally then there's like a circular atom bomb shockwave that spreads out for thousands of tiles (if the trees extend that far) and lag your game to hell. If you've never see it, it'd be worth rolling a game just to watch.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've been reading people discuss FARL because placing track is a pain in the dick. I tell myself "these people are just exaggerating, it can't be that bad."

Then I tried it.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Placing track manually is fine for a limited local area, but when you get into distances where you actually need a train (and laying more than one track on that path) then it's a godsend

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its something resembling fine, if you swear off diagonals and get lucky forest placement. Or just eat misplaced rail and signals on the diagonals as the cost of doing business

New rail laying is going to be amazing though.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Laying tracks is not so much of a problem, I find, but picking stuff up when you need to rework something is horrible.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Node posted:

When I read things like this, and then look at my grand total of two assemblers making fast inserters, I ask myself if I am playing the game wrong.

Yes.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I've honestly never used more than 1 fast inserter / smart inserter combo factory because it's enough to cover like 8 blue science factories and really once you get 500 of them in a box you don't need more

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I forgot that FARL can lay out parallel tracks going the other way too. Wow, Choumiko really thought of everything.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Node posted:

You're playing Factorio right. You're playing "build one rocket per minute" wrong.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

DaveKap posted:

You're playing Factorio right. You're playing "build one rocket per minute" wrong.

well, not if those are his only two assemblers total

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

awesmoe posted:

well, not if those are his only two assemblers total
If you're at fast inserter tech and you only have 2 assemblers in your entire factory then... yeah, playin' it wrong. I just assumed they meant only 2 assemblers were making fast inserters.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

DaveKap posted:

If you're at fast inserter tech and you only have 2 assemblers in your entire factory then... yeah, playin' it wrong. I just assumed they meant only 2 assemblers were making fast inserters.

One factory no-handcrafting run. every item has to be made in the sole assembler, removed and taken into inventory, then you change the recipe to make the next item and manually re-insert the ingredients. kill me.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

awesmoe posted:

One factory no-handcrafting run. every item has to be made in the sole assembler, removed and taken into inventory, then you change the recipe to make the next item and manually re-insert the ingredients. kill me.

:psyduck: When does a run like that end? Suicide?

At what point to you just replace yourself with an AutoHotkey script and stop playing?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Solumin posted:

:psyduck: When does a run like that end? Suicide?

At what point to you just replace yourself with an AutoHotkey script and stop playing?

A strange game...the only winning move is not to play.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.
In multiplayer, does everyone's mod list have to be exactly the same? Or will the game just not display missing assets?

EDIT: No, it doesn't work. For those that wanted to start a new multiplayer game, is there a modpack we should start from, or create our own for the game?

CanOfMDAmp fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 31, 2016

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

LLSix posted:

I forgot that FARL can lay out parallel tracks going the other way too. Wow, Choumiko really thought of everything.

Yeah, there's nothing quite like laying down an 8-lane mainline complete with signals and power lines at 150km/h.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Do I need a huge amount of oil refineries to keep eight chemical plants producing plastic bars? I have the heavy and light oil being poured into storage tanks, and the pipes carrying all the petroleum gas can only keep the first chemical plant fully stocked with it. I feel like I am doing something wrong, unless it really takes that many refineries to feed one chemical plant.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Moddington posted:

Yeah, there's nothing quite like laying down an 8-lane mainline complete with signals and power lines at 150km/h.

The octo-Gromit

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Node posted:

Do I need a huge amount of oil refineries to keep eight chemical plants producing plastic bars? I have the heavy and light oil being poured into storage tanks, and the pipes carrying all the petroleum gas can only keep the first chemical plant fully stocked with it. I feel like I am doing something wrong, unless it really takes that many refineries to feed one chemical plant.

Get cracking

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Node posted:

8 chemical plants will use 30 gas per second when making plastic bars. If you are just using petroleum gas from advanced oil processing you would need 28 to get over 30 gas/s. Cracking oil down and modules will change that obviously.

EDIT: My math was bad.

jzilla fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 31, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also notably, you'll need quite a bit of incoming crude to keep that many running.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
8 plastic plants is some over the rainbow poo poo so you are probably doing something wrong having that many. I know red circuits are great but module production will still be there in the morning if you only have 1 or 2.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

CanOfMDAmp posted:

In multiplayer, does everyone's mod list have to be exactly the same? Or will the game just not display missing assets?

EDIT: No, it doesn't work. For those that wanted to start a new multiplayer game, is there a modpack we should start from, or create our own for the game?
I may be wrong but I think if the mod description in-game states "requires synchronization" then that means it's required for each player to have it installed. You should just make your own mod-pack and upload it to mega for your friends to grab, that's what I do.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

zedprime posted:

8 plastic plants is some over the rainbow poo poo so you are probably doing something wrong having that many. I know red circuits are great but module production will still be there in the morning if you only have 1 or 2.

Agreed. 2 plastic factories is 5 plastic per second. That's a lot of output. One plastic plant can feed 8 red circuit plants.

Things that need plastic: advanced circuits, low-density structures (a rocket part), the 2 kinds of tank ammo. It's not in high demand.

CanOfMDAmp posted:

Yeah, every player in a multiplayer game must have exactly the same version of Factorio installed and exactly the same modlist.

Don't worry too much about mods. Here is my list of absolutely 100% required mods: (for multiplayer games)
  • The Graveyard, which saves your inventory if you die. You will appreciate this greatly.

Seriously, that's the only mod that has been an utter game changer for me. If you're just starting to play the game, don't go crazy and add a ton of mods. Get to know the base game first, figure out the things you don't like, and then see if forums poster GotLag has made a mod that fixes it yet. If not, check if someone else has.

If you want to do things with trains, grab FARL and Fat Controller. (Both of which will be mildly obsolete in 0.13! Maybe.) Consider getting RSO, which changes world generation to force you to use trains to get resources.
EDIT: Also the train dodging mod. Get that.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 31, 2016

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My wife and I launched our first rocket!

It's not a pretty base, but it was working pretty well. Two completely separate rail systems -- one to bring in iron and steel plates, the other to bring in copper plates and coils. We won't bother building coils in the field next time.

Most of the imbalances you see were put in late-game to rush the rocket parts we were short on (it took a while to get the plasma TV rocket control system assemblers running).

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
The only mods I would recommend for new starters are Long Reach and Autofill, which are both very simple tweaks that change nothing about the game's balance but make your life easier.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Jamsque posted:

The only mods I would recommend for new starters are Long Reach and Autofill, which are both very simple tweaks that change nothing about the game's balance but make your life easier.
I'll never start a new game without Train Immunity.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

dying to the train is a rite of passage, man

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Been there, done that. :negative:

I like being able to walk onto the tracks and block the train so I can jump on.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The one time I've died to a train, I forgot how to close the interaction window and hit enter to try and do so.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I have probably 300hrs in this godamned game and I've still never even built the rocket defense/launched the rocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I want a mod with a research that makes it so when the train hits me, it dies instead.

(No I don't. But I'd like a GIF of that happening.)