Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Heavily saturated salt water for a couple of weeks, then toss them in the garbage. If you can recycle them, do - there are places that will take them, if you can be bothered to do the research. But IIRC they're safe to go in landfills once they've soaked in salt water for many days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
So I pulled my stock Clodbuster out of a box in the garage after 10+ years and got it up and running again, but I forgot how much slop there is in the steering. What are the current options for stiffening that up? I already have a higher torque servo on the shopping list (and just bought a new battery - the spending begins!) But most of the twisting seems to be in the stock plastic servo saver. Looking around, the only upgrade I can find is the Crawford aluminum kit:

I saw a couple other kits from ESP and JPS, but can't find them in stock anywhere... any other options I haven't seen? Hopefully not too much $$ since I'm already planning on picking up a Wraith soon (or maybe a Yeti XL! :homebrew: )

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The thread has gone quiet, so I'll bump this to the top. Right now with tax return season upon us and cabin fever driving us to our wits end that has meant that right now is the busiest time of year for hobby retailers and manufacturers. It's hard to gauge from a year ago but this seems to be as strong of a start as it's ever been. We've decided to take on the scaler/crawler segment which has been a pretty big undertaking. We've ordered a little over 800 different Axial SKUs, tons of Pro-Line stuff, and I'm chewing away at a Vanquish products order that will be awesome to get in. Part of this means getting a little more educated in this segment so I had a new RR10 Bomber from Axial follow me home. It immediately had new electronics thrown in (ESC, motor, servo, BEC, radio) and a couple of aluminum pieces. Next step will be Vanquish wheels, links, knuckles & hubs in the next week or two.

Also krushgroove the rumors are heavy and flying everywhere. In the midst of all that I hope it works out for the best. The people of HPI Europe are wildly talented and hopefully getting unshackled will do you all some good.

Edit: I've apparently dicked up the link to the photo. I'm phone posting so I'll need to sort this out later.

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 28, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Also krushgroove the rumors are heavy and flying everywhere. In the midst of all that I hope it works out for the best. The people of HPI Europe are wildly talented and hopefully getting unshackled will do you all some good.
Thanks, yeah we're hopeful things will work out. Can't say much at the moment except it doesn't affect just HPI Europe, that's a common misconception by a lot of people. But basically as long as we have jobs it doesn't really matter who owns the brand. It's highly profitable so something will get sorted out.

But that aside I'm at the Neo race this weekend, working the camera, computer, mic, food, whatever...if you want to watch some top class nitro buggy racing the live stream is on Neobuggy.com, and there's daily video interviews and updates as well.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Almost finished with my LST XXL electric conversion. Ran into a significant snag, though; the motor, mount, and ESC I bought over a year ago don't fit the new conversion kit. :v:

I started the conversion before the LST2-E was announced. The original conversion kit didn't include a different chassis and was out of stock everywhere to begin with. So, I had bought my motor and esc with the expectation of fitting them all on my current chassis. However, the motor mount I needed was from TDR and he was out of stock until just recently and I was unable to figure out a way to mount the battery mounts I had and also couldn't find any for sale that would fit (this may have just been me being bad at searching). I bought the TDR motor mount and single-speed conversion hub when it came in because I needed to do that anyway.

While I was waiting for all that to come in, I found that Losi released an official new conversion kit with better weight distribution. It also came with some parts I was needing, anyway (battery mount and forward-only transmission), so I bought it. Finished assembling everything today only to discover that the new chassis has different mounting points for the motor mount so the one from TDR wouldn't fit. The ESC I bought didn't have little screw spots on to the sides so it wouldn't fit on the ESC mount with the new conversion kit. The motor I had didn't quite fit right with the conversion motor mount so I was unable to attach it to the chassis with a good gear mesh.

After everything I went through, it would have cost just as much to buy the new electric version right when it came out. :sigh:

Not all is lost, because I definitely learned a lot about the way the truck is built which will be helpful when something breaks in the future. That's what I dislike most about RTR-only kit releases. I love building these things and figuring out how they work. When I didn't have to build it and I have to replace something that broke, it can be a challenge figuring out how to take things apart and put them back together with the blueprint-like manual.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bagarthach posted:

So I pulled my stock Clodbuster out of a box in the garage after 10+ years and got it up and running again, but I forgot how much slop there is in the steering. What are the current options for stiffening that up? I already have a higher torque servo on the shopping list (and just bought a new battery - the spending begins!) But most of the twisting seems to be in the stock plastic servo saver. Looking around, the only upgrade I can find is the Crawford aluminum kit:

I saw a couple other kits from ESP and JPS, but can't find them in stock anywhere... any other options I haven't seen? Hopefully not too much $$ since I'm already planning on picking up a Wraith soon (or maybe a Yeti XL! :homebrew: )
Is mounting a servo direct on each axle an option?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

Is mounting a servo direct on each axle an option?

It is an option, and I looked into it, but decided to keep the clod stock. It's my last "vintage" kit - it even still has the mechanical speed control. Lots of new stuff in the last 10 years...I discovered that battery cutoff is a thing that exists now. Unfortunately, I discovered this when it cut power to my throttle servo while running. No damage since it wasn't going very fast with a low battery, but it was a confusing few seconds because I knew I wasn't out of range and couldn't figure out why it was still going. Note to self: find my old AM radio and only use that with the Clod.

So instead of upgrading the Clod, I did this:

Wraith
Sidewinder SV3
Savox 1230
Castle BEC
Castlelink (programmable ESCs! How cool is that?)
Cheap 55T motor (since I've never used a 55T and don't know how slow they are yet)
and some tires for my other car since this is what happens to tires in long term storage

This should keep me busy for a few days...

(Wild Willy trying to sneak in the shot.)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Pic of my goods that I couldn't figure out how to post earlier:

krushgroove posted:

Thanks, yeah we're hopeful things will work out. Can't say much at the moment except it doesn't affect just HPI Europe, that's a common misconception by a lot of people. But basically as long as we have jobs it doesn't really matter who owns the brand. It's highly profitable so something will get sorted out.

But that aside I'm at the Neo race this weekend, working the camera, computer, mic, food, whatever...if you want to watch some top class nitro buggy racing the live stream is on Neobuggy.com, and there's daily video interviews and updates as well.

Yeah - I don't expect anyone to do much talking. It only makes sense that everyone would be affected; there is not much going on with HPI USA anyhow, HPI EU seems to be the central hub of most goings on now. Like I said, you have a talented crew out there and I think that the brand will benefit from this. Take a look at Axial and how things worked out for them when ownership changed to Hobbico ~3 years ago or whatever it was. Extremely talented people but a lack of cash flow limited them. NEO race has been awesome! Great reviews and coverage as usual!

Bagarthach posted:

instead of upgrading the Clod, I did this:

Castle BEC
Castlelink (programmable ESCs! How cool is that?)

Use your CastleLink to adjust the voltage output on your BEC too before hooking it up. I would probably set it between 6.5V or 7V for that particular servo. Castle Link is pretty slick! I have the field programmer which you can get when you buy one of their "premium" ESC's for like $10 so you can adjust everything out in the field, or you can just plug it in via USB to your computer and it works the same as the cable. Good call on adding the BEC because the stock unit of the SV3 is not gonna cut it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Sorry missed the clod question. My good friend Travis Sutton (Sutton Motorsports) makes a fantastic Behind the Axle mount for the clod which many of us monster truck racers use on our race trucks, like mine below. Not a great pic for the steering but you can see how the servo mounts backwards on the axle.

For an old school clod most of use a Crawford Performance Engineering vertical servo mount, as seen on my friends bigfoot replica here.

The stock clod's steering is such trash that unless its strictly a shelf queen it needs to be replaced.

Also, in regards to the rumors I really hope you guys are ok and left to do what you do Krushgroove. The hobby needs HPI.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 29, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yeah - I don't expect anyone to do much talking. It only makes sense that everyone would be affected; there is not much going on with HPI USA anyhow, HPI EU seems to be the central hub of most goings on now.
This is something you seem to know that most RC customers don't realize, which leads to what I mean by things being affected beyond just HPI Europe. There's complexities to the situation beyond simply thinking 'HPI EU is just the EU distribution for HPI'...I think some of the racers are starting to get an inkling of just one aspect of that, too.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Also, in regards to the rumors I really hope you guys are ok and left to do what you do Krushgroove. The hobby needs HPI.

quote:

Like I said, you have a talented crew out there and I think that the brand will benefit from this. Take a look at Axial and how things worked out for them when ownership changed to Hobbico ~3 years ago or whatever it was. Extremely talented people but a lack of cash flow limited them.
Thanks, and there are many ways this could play out, and a few weeks to go yet before things can be finalized. Lots of parties to talk to and get to agree to things, which is what the administrators have to sort out.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

NEO race has been awesome! Great reviews and coverage as usual!
It was good to be a part of it again! Taking today and tomorrow off, I'm still sore from climbing up and down that ridiculous ladder a couple dozen times a day...

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

This is sort of out of left field but I figure I'd ask since I know several of you are road racers - a couple months ago I purchased an ARTR X-Ray F1 car (justoc blinky esc and 21.5 motor w/ short 2S that fits chassis) off r/c tech with the intention of racing f1. With all my monster truck stuff coupled with helping out big squid I just don't have time to race F1 so I have a perfectly fine race car that I probably need to unload. I'd make a hell of a deal if anyone was interested. $275 shipped. Just add an RX and change the spur gear (it's missing a couple teeth from the previous owner). Has 2 bodies and a few extra x-ray parts. Outside of the spur its in fantastic condition.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

Dear thread, what's your favorite method for discharging / disposing of old RC lipos? I've got some ~five year old hardcases that are swelling enough to nearly pop the case halves apart, so I'm calling them done and ordering some replacements.

Most clubs have battery recycling, or your local tip/waste transfer station

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Hmmmm... I apparently need to cut open a computer cord to hook up its wires to the power supply I have for my charger. Is there anything I need to watch out for other than making sure I put the right wire on the right lead?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kibner posted:

Hmmmm... I apparently need to cut open a computer cord to hook up its wires to the power supply I have for my charger. Is there anything I need to watch out for other than making sure I put the right wire on the right lead?

What brand of power supply is it?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

You Am I posted:

What brand of power supply is it?

YDS. This one specifically: http://www.ydspower.com/switching-power-supply/single-output-switching-power-supply-yds12-200.html

Kibner fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 30, 2016

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Progress after one day.

Going pretty smoothly, a few misID'd screws in the manual, but I figured it out. A sharp eye will notice the screws on the diff cover sticking out. I rounded over both ends of two different 1.5mm hex tools, so the build is on hold until these guys come in...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Never seen anyone use those at the track. Most people go for stuff like this:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Power-Products-Electrical/Power-Supply/Laboratory-Bench/13-8VDC-0-to-12-Amp-Regulated-Power-Supply/p/MP3079

Or stuff by Much More

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I got the same set for the same reason. They have worked great.

----

I found a pre-stripped power cord at the local hardware store, so that made everything easy. Now my countertop looks like a frankenstein lab charging these batteries.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

You Am I posted:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Power-Products-Electrical/Power-Supply/Laboratory-Bench/13-8VDC-0-to-12-Amp-Regulated-Power-Supply/p/MP3079

Or stuff by Much More

It came with my order from Kershaw Designs last year. I got it all working now, though, so I'm happy.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

You Am I posted:

Or stuff by Much More

I remember seeing those at the track for a long time, before the purpose-made RC power supplies started showing up. (showing my age a bit?)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's someone locally who is converting power supplies pulled from 1U servers - quieter fans, some bullet connectors, and some vinyl wrap. I use a garbage-tier ATX PSU I converted myself years ago. The cost of the "purpose built" RC power supplies is just waaaaay too high.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs
I bought an Xmaxx. It's heaps of fun.

I also found a metal pole buried in a snow drift!

RIP in peace :(

EduardoEspecial fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 31, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat dude. That's a serious crash.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Holy poo poo. That's just impressive. Just full-speed into it on the ground, or jumped into it at a high speed? I'd honestly send an email to Traxxas - you never know if they have a PR guy who'll take pity on you :) Its a long shot, but, hey.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, mid chassis, front chassis, and basically all the front suspension/driveline?

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Full speed into what I thought was a soft snow drift!

Pretty much all the plastic in the middle of the front structure was trashed. Bent a shock shaft. Diff and drive shaft seemed ok, so were the a arms and everything else outboard of that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's someone locally who is converting power supplies pulled from 1U servers - quieter fans, some bullet connectors, and some vinyl wrap. I use a garbage-tier ATX PSU I converted myself years ago. The cost of the "purpose built" RC power supplies is just waaaaay too high.

Most of the RC guys in Australia are electricians and they have a shitfit if they see a converted PC power supply used for powering chargers/tyre warmers/USB kettle

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The best about Traxxas cars is that all of the parts to fix that is like $4.17

(except the chassis plate, that might actually cost something)

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

I'm not expecting parts to be expensive. Waiting for them is killing me though. The place I bought it from has no replacement parts in stock.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Could someone explain kV ratings when it comes to brushless motors? I've looked around online but all I find are wannabe electrical engineers arguing over minutiae.

Specifically, I'm wondering what makes a specific kV suitable for specific applications.

I'm looking to put this in a 1/8 buggy. Nothing competitive, just playing around on dirt and asphalt.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Mr. Apollo posted:

Could someone explain kV ratings when it comes to brushless motors? I've looked around online but all I find are wannabe electrical engineers arguing over minutiae.

Specifically, I'm wondering what makes a specific kV suitable for specific applications.

I'm looking to put this in a 1/8 buggy. Nothing competitive, just playing around on dirt and asphalt.

Long story short, kV rating tells you how many RPM's the motor will try to spin with a given amount of voltage applied. Its a really basic, not-100% explanation, but it works.

So, if you had the same battery/ESC on a 3000kV motor and a 5000kV motor, the 5000 would spin faster. There's more to it than that, but it gives you a "pie in the sky" explanation.

As to what would work best for your buggy - do you want more top end (higher kV rating), or a little more "torque" (lower kV rating). Note, this isn't directly related - its not that it really has more torque, but it has to fight less to spin at a given speed, so a lower kV will go through its range faster, so it accelerates a little quicker.

There are a ton of other factors, but that's a really basic one. So, if you are wanting just flat-out top end, higher kV. If its more turning and needing to accelerate/feel a bit more responsive, go a little lower.

Someone who knows this poo poo a bit more, please feel free to correct me, but I think I have at least something of a handle on this stuff :P

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Siochain posted:

Long story short, kV rating tells you how many RPM's the motor will try to spin with a given amount of voltage applied. Its a really basic, not-100% explanation, but it works.

So, if you had the same battery/ESC on a 3000kV motor and a 5000kV motor, the 5000 would spin faster. There's more to it than that, but it gives you a "pie in the sky" explanation.

As to what would work best for your buggy - do you want more top end (higher kV rating), or a little more "torque" (lower kV rating). Note, this isn't directly related - its not that it really has more torque, but it has to fight less to spin at a given speed, so a lower kV will go through its range faster, so it accelerates a little quicker.

There are a ton of other factors, but that's a really basic one. So, if you are wanting just flat-out top end, higher kV. If its more turning and needing to accelerate/feel a bit more responsive, go a little lower.

Someone who knows this poo poo a bit more, please feel free to correct me, but I think I have at least something of a handle on this stuff :P
Thanks, this is exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for. Is there a sweet spot/range/popular choice for 1/8 buggies if you're not doing anything competitive with them?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Mr. Apollo posted:

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for. Is there a sweet spot/range/popular choice for 1/8 buggies if you're not doing anything competitive with them?

General guideline would be to see what RTR kits of the type you're interested in use.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

krushgroove posted:

General guideline would be to see what RTR kits of the type you're interested in use.

This exactly.

Speaking of motors - what's everyone's opinion on the Turnigy stuff from HobbyKing? Worth a drat, or just cheap crap?

I'm wanting to grab a waterproof 1/10th brushless for my Twin Hammers, and curious if they'd be worth it. If not, I'll look elsewhere.

That, and tax return season is coming. I want something fun.

I've got a 1/8th scale 2wd buggy, SCX10, and a Vaterra Twin Hammers. I'm thinking something a little more bashy, or something I can make a little more bashy. I'd love to go 1/5th and get a gasser, but that's out of my price range.

So - 1/8th 4wd truggy? SCT (Slash, Yeti Score)? Monster truck of some sort?

Kit or RTR, not decided yet. Throw me some recommendations. What kit or RTR would you buy to play with given what I have?

Siochain fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 4, 2016

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

krushgroove posted:

Siochain posted:

This exactly.
Haha, yeah that seems really obvious now. Thanks. :)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Siochain posted:

Kit or RTR, not decided yet. Throw me some recommendations.

Totally biased here, but I prefer kits since building the kit really helps me understand how everything works so I can diagnose issues quicker and more accurately.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

You can get a Losi Mini WRC for less than $900 shipped. Do the needful and get a 1/5

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You can get a Losi Mini WRC for less than $900 shipped. Do the needful and get a 1/5

I would, but that's $900 US. Which for us Canadians is like $250,000 atm hahah.
Still tempting though.

What're your thoughts on the Arma Kraton? Doing a lot of reading, and it seems up my alley. 1/8th scale, somewhere between a truggy and a monster truck. Seems tough as hell, fast, at least some aftermarket support, etc.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Traxxas X-Maxx looks really cool but I'm hearing some complaints about people trashing the diffs because the gears are all plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So my 72 year old father in law is a bit of a geek and when I told him he should get a boat for the man made pond just outside his back yard his eyes lit up like a 5 year old on Christmas eve.

Is there a "decent" boat for beginners? Hovercraft maybe? I'd like to keep it under $300.