Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sweet, I got my new tires. Canadian Tire did all manner of loving around on me but I now have a fine rear end set of $55 Motomaster SE2 no-season tires that are only like 6% off.

Probably chuck them on after dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Put new rotors as well as front and rear brakes on the Mrs.' HHR (and yes, I know its a shitbox) - gently caress anyone who makes cars with drum brakes in the 21st century too, but that's my own beef with drums - and started tuning up the '89 Volvo I got two weeks ago.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

:hfive:

I didn't do the rears. They're drums, and I haven't touched the ones on the wife's Fit either, and it's got 150K on it. No need to deal with them until there's a reason. There's so little weight back there (67/33 weight dist) that I can't imagine they're doing much. Mine weren't squealing, but I'm amazed that they weren't...

58/42 on the CRV, and if they were drums I'd have left them alone. I realize they're cheap and they work and the vast majority of cars with rear drums today won't need those brakes worked on until the third or fourth owner, but... gently caress drums.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I actually don't mind working on drum brakes now that I know to drop the $5 on rockauto on a full hardware kit including new adjusters.

That being said, drum-in-hat e-brakes are the miserablest horseshit ever. It's like all the hatred of a drum brake project, but at 40% scale and wedged into the hateful little crevice behind the axle/hub flange so you can't get a goddamn thing done.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ughhhhhhh. Yeah, my mother's car has that abortion of a setup. I couldn't even get the drat rotors to budge, so it just got a pad slap in the rear for the service brakes. Pretty sure the rotors have never been off the car (2003 w/~150k).

The parking brake needs adjustment on her car, but that's what the parking pawl is for anyway, right? :haw:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
:j:: "My back brakes are making a funny noise."

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ditched the run flat tyres on my Cooper S. Feels good man.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Had a new exhaust delivered. Took the old exhaust off. New exhaust doesn't fit. Ran engine without exhaust system briefly and it sounds like the depths of hell. Hilariously loud.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

88h88 posted:

Had a new exhaust delivered. Took the old exhaust off. New exhaust doesn't fit. Ran engine without exhaust system briefly and it sounds like the depths of hell. Hilariously loud. Threw away both exhausts. :getin:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
When I had a pretty bad exhaust leak at the headers my exhaust sounded badass, however I always drive with the windows down and sitting at a red light meant constant fumes in the cabin.

Then I got a new catted pipe and it sounded lame.

So I bought an off road midpipe and all is good.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If I thought I could ever get away with it, I would. I'd also be deaf within 15 minutes but whatever...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

I actually don't mind working on drum brakes now that I know to drop the $5 on rockauto on a full hardware kit including new adjusters.

That being said, drum-in-hat e-brakes are the miserablest horseshit ever. It's like all the hatred of a drum brake project, but at 40% scale and wedged into the hateful little crevice behind the axle/hub flange so you can't get a goddamn thing done.

I got to deal with that fixing the e-brake on my Crown Vic. I was a bit surprised at how much harder that damned axle flange being in the way made it, though I shouldn't have been.

Commander Puddin
Sep 30, 2007
I managed to get a picture of coolant actually leaping out of my overflow reservoir!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Bad water pump or thermostat?

Commander Puddin
Sep 30, 2007

EightBit posted:

Bad water pump or thermostat?

Ultimately it was a bad temp gauge wire that tricked me into thinking it wasn't overheating. I probably should have realized that something was up when the temp needle started spinning around like a helicopter rotor. That plus probably not enough coolant plus I decided to drive the thing on the freeway at about 70 for 20 minutes for the first time. Its a 78' C10 Shortbed Big 10 with a 454 in it. On its first endurance trial on the freeway that ended with the above picture it got about 8.3 mpg and I also found out that the horn will shock the piss out of you if you hold any metal part of the steering wheel when pressing the horn button. This truck is hilarious.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

This is honestly the first drum-in-hat I've ever had the rotor off of - I think my Volvo 240 had one on its rear axle too, but on that CR-V it's probably not much smaller than the drums on the back of the Fit. Hell, let's go look this up on Rockauto...

2013 CRV park brake shoe:

2013 Fit rear brake shoe:

If I'm reading those numbers on the upper right correctly, they're drat near the same size. The Fit hopefully has some more meat on the shoes because the CR-V park brake shoes are thin.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Ludicro posted:

Ditched the run flat tyres on my Cooper S. Feels good man.

Who makes run-flats for 10-inch wheels?!?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Installed a new dumb loud exhaust on my M3.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^^ That's real nice. My stupid loud exhaust needs a custom front section made up as on 28yr old cars there's not much choice. Had a front section delivered and it's completely wrong. So today I installed the new rear section which is all good and hacked the old front off as it was chemically welded straight through to the rear piece. That's now fitted so I can get to the dude welding it without making everyone within 30m instantly deaf. Hopefully they're open tomorrow and can take a look. I reckon it'll need a fairly hefty silencer as the new rear/middle section is pretty much straight through...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Put all new pads, rotors, shoes, drums and hardware on the Protegé, as well as a new air filter. $184 for all parts shipped to my door seemed pretty reasonable, and the rears were squeaking pretty bad. Once I got the drums off I saw that there was still friction material left on the shoes but the adjuster was all the way out so the drum must have been pretty gone. First side on the rear took over an hour because of poo poo being stuck, but the other three wheels combined only took 45 minutes so it was a wash.

Front:

Rear:

How I felt after doing the first drum:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Put the summer wheels on my car and my parents' car and put the winter wheels in storage.

So obviously freezing temperatures are coming up next week.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Scored some OEM wheels and good tires for $300.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Replaced my air filter with a K&N drop-in. I can hear the turbo spool just a little bit more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Summer wheels balanced and mounted.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

Summer wheels balanced and mounted.

I've never really saw a white accented car like that, usually people just go black with the random bits. Way to make it your own.

I installed some camber caster plates today. Instructions said an hour but it took like four. Not complaining though, nice bonding time with bro.

edit: this is just my big dumb opinion but I think it would look pretty cool if you were able to paint/plastidip your rocker panel the same color.

Cage fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 28, 2016

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Canadian Tire...Motomaster SE2 no-season tires

I'm mildly disappointed that CT's house brand isn't "Road Choocher".

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
What kind of horrible hell hole do you live in that doesn't let people ride their bikes around.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Crustashio posted:

Scored some OEM wheels and good tires for $300.

I'm jealous. Are those wheels pretty unscuffed? I've been trying to score some clean OEM E46 wheels that aren't a base style and aren't all hosed up for a long time now. I finally had to put new tires on my beat-up style 98s because everyone on CL wanted serious money for clean wheels, and my tires started showing bands so I had to just replace them.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
3 are good, the driver's rear definitely needs refinishing. I haven't tried cleaning them but the barrel has that pitted/corroded aluminum look. The style 42s are a true 2-piece wheel so I may pop the centers out next winter and give it a try.

Around here people want a loving mint for E36/E46 sport package size wheels. I sold some badly curbrashed DS2s for $400 without tires. I just happened to be at a shop working on a racecar when someone was trying to sell stuff to clear trailer space.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 28, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cage posted:

I've never really saw a white accented car like that, usually people just go black with the random bits. Way to make it your own.

I installed some camber caster plates today. Instructions said an hour but it took like four. Not complaining though, nice bonding time with bro.

edit: this is just my big dumb opinion but I think it would look pretty cool if you were able to paint/plastidip your rocker panel the same color.

I actually kind of dig that! I've been tempted to do more white accents but I don't want to overdue it. But since this was probably the last winter she'll see it might be okay to give more white a whirl.

Edit: Unseen are my badges, they are also dipped white.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Put new Steeda shocks on the GFs mustang (was previously on GT track pack shocks and Steeda ultralight springs). Ride got a lot better.

Put a trailer hitch on the 04 WRX the exhaust is now a press fit. So need to order extended hangers. Changed the oil and replaced the donut gasket and the turbo to down pipe gasket, but I still have a small exhaust leak. I guess I'll pull the turbo next and replace all those gaskets.

Put new centric rotors and PFC Z pads on the front axle of the 03 M3. Still need to do the rears. Also last autocross, a cone removed the front part of my front left wheel liner. So need one of those too.

Replaced the Miatas sticky caliper and rebled the brakes. Put fresh OEM pads and centric rotors on the rear. I love the factory pads but this may be the last set of them I get. They are super expensive compared to the alternatives.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Replaced a seized brake caliper. It went far too easily which has me wondering what remarkably easy job I need to do next will become a war of attrition.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Came to the conclusion that Rockauto sold me a bad brake master cylinder after reinstalling it following being bench bled (initially tried to install it dry and bleed with a power bleeder.)

Still solid as a rock with the engine off, but drops halfway to the floor with little effort and bottoms out shortly after that with the engine running.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Geoj posted:

Came to the conclusion that Rockauto sold me a bad brake master cylinder after reinstalling it following being bench bled (initially tried to install it dry and bleed with a power bleeder.)

Still solid as a rock with the engine off, but drops halfway to the floor with little effort and bottoms out shortly after that with the engine running.

That kind of sounds like a bad booster. Does it still stop, with a lot of effort, once it's "bottomed out"?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
in my experience a bad booster usually either whistles if you jiggle the pedal, or doesn't boost. never had one overboost or do that before, sounds like air in the lines, a leak, or a bad MC to me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I managed to drive the Civic all the way to work (almost twice, since I forgot my parking pass and had to go back).

Seems to be a car, though the amount of body roll from its no-bars setup is more than a little disconcerting. Feels a little bit like it's leaning to one side, though that might be the totally horseshit alignment. I'll take some measurements.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Raluek posted:

That kind of sounds like a bad booster. Does it still stop, with a lot of effort, once it's "bottomed out"?

Not sure if it stops, I've moved it about 30 feet under its own power in the last three years and the brakes were completely disconnected for that 30 feet (used the hand brake to stop.)

I ran the equivalent of 3-4 gallons of brake fluid through the system (recycling the fluid through my power bleeder) so I'm as confident as I can be that there was no air in the lines, and no detectable leaks anywhere leaves me with a DOA master cylinder. I'll find out Friday when the replacement shows up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Feels a little bit like it's leaning to one side, though that might be the totally horseshit alignment. I'll take some measurements.

The iPhone compass reports the front bumper of the Civic is at the same angle as the parking spot it was parked on. It might just be in my head.

I guess I could do other measurements with like measuring tape or cans of Monster or something.

The speedo is really pissing me off, I already replaced the VSS so I think I'm going to be depotting and then reflowing the solder on the speedo control board.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
made some custom tools to open my hood because e46s suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cleaned the kart engine. Chain lube is a huge pain in the rear end to get off.