Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Vil posted:

The best part about low-manning turn 13 (aside from fewer people to fight against for the sheet music) is that the last phase of the fight lasts long enough for the third Akh Morn and its musical accompaniment.

Witness *pew* Suffer *pew pew* Borrow *pew* Reason

I've heard if you min ilvl it (i123?) with 8 people 4 sheets drop guaranteed. I have not confirmed this and those PFs might have been crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any general advice for a new player leveling an arcanist? I plan on going Scholar eventually. I haven't played a lot of MMOs, much less a pet class. Any essential keybinds/commands I should commit to memory? What do I do with my pet in a dungeon?

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 30, 2016

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

a kitten posted:

Yep, it's fast and cheap and all you want it for is those thundercloud procs.

Thanks everyone - trying to figure things out!

How important is Quelling Strikes for BLM? Should I drop everything and get Archer up before I start trying to get into raids?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

nuru posted:

I've heard if you min ilvl it (i123?) with 8 people 4 sheets drop guaranteed. I have not confirmed this and those PFs might have been crazy.

It is absolutely true. Minimum ilevel guarantees 4-5 sheets of music per clear. Coil automatically adds echo so you're effectively at higher than max ilevel when you do a minimum ilevel run. Trials are much more challenging because you really are at say, i62 for ultima bardmode. Healers have 3k life.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

It is absolutely true. Minimum ilevel guarantees 4-5 sheets of music per clear. Coil automatically adds echo so you're effectively at higher than max ilevel when you do a minimum ilevel run. Trials are much more challenging because you really are at say, i62 for ultima bardmode. Healers have 3k life.

Does this work if you do this turning on min ilvl and undersized, so at least you have your fancy expansion tricks?

edit: nevermind, nope, minimum ilvl overrides undersized and makes you 50.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

synthetik posted:

Thanks everyone - trying to figure things out!

How important is Quelling Strikes for BLM? Should I drop everything and get Archer up before I start trying to get into raids?
Before raids as in before finding a static, yes, absolutely. You want it because your opener kicks rear end - you're dropping like 6 Raging Strikes Fire IV and a Firestarter or a Thunder III in the time frame that Quelling would have - and it's nicer to the tank.

Before raids as in PF Midas or whatever the hell, who cares, tank'll be trash anyway.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

kafziel posted:

Does this work if you do this turning on min ilvl and undersized, so at least you have your fancy expansion tricks?

edit: nevermind, nope, minimum ilvl overrides undersized and makes you 50.

If you can only get a group of 7 people together, any turn of coil is still doable at minimum ilevel thanks to echo. In those situations you would need both min ilevel and undersized party enabled, but you are still synced to the actual minimum ilevel of the duty.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

nuru posted:

This is not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waElJ8W-rDI&t=2383s

Min ilvl t13 kill a few weeks ago (clearly after Orchestrion released) in which we get exactly 0 music drops.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Before raids as in before finding a static, yes, absolutely. You want it because your opener kicks rear end - you're dropping like 6 Raging Strikes Fire IV and a Firestarter or a Thunder III in the time frame that Quelling would have - and it's nicer to the tank.

Before raids as in PF Midas or whatever the hell, who cares, tank'll be trash anyway.

I'd like to start being able to do the RavEX groups that pop-up in FC chat and stuff, so I'll work on Archer 34 tonight.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Would you say you... got cranked?

Yes, I totally got cranked. :smith:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FaintlyQuaint posted:

This is not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waElJ8W-rDI&t=2383s

Min ilvl t13 kill a few weeks ago (clearly after Orchestrion released) in which we get exactly 0 music drops.

I'm pretty sure this was just an unlucky glitch. I've never seen less than 4 dropped on min ilevel runs.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Elderbean posted:

Any general advice for a new player leveling an arcanist? I plan on going Scholar eventually. I haven't played alot of MMOs, much less a pet class. Any essential keybinds/commands I should commit to memory? What do I do with my pet in a dungeon?

Arcanist is pretty easy for the pre-endgame stuff. Your pet can basically manage itself until you get into hard content.

Find a list online of when content unlocks and be sure to unlock it, so that you don't miss things like the challenge log (good for XP) or enabling your chocobo to fight alongside you for double pet action.

You'll need to train 15 levels of conjurer before you can upgrade to scholar, and you'll also need 15 levels of thaumaturge if you want to be able to switch to summoner for DPS (a useful option).

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you can only get a group of 7 people together, any turn of coil is still doable at minimum ilevel thanks to echo. In those situations you would need both min ilevel and undersized party enabled, but you are still synced to the actual minimum ilevel of the duty.

Okay, but I hopped in t13 solo with minimum ilvl enabled and undersized party enabled, and it dropped me to 50.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm pretty sure this was just an unlucky glitch. I've never seen less than 4 dropped on min ilevel runs.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

kafziel posted:

Okay, but I hopped in t13 solo with minimum ilvl enabled and undersized party enabled, and it dropped me to 50.

"*When using an undersized party, player and item levels will be synced."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Min ilvl T13 shouldn't be too different from normal sync'd t13 right? i123 vs 135?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Min ilvl T13 shouldn't be too different from normal sync'd t13 right? i123 vs 135?

For t13 the VIT and extra dps is a pretty huge difference, though Echo already accounts for a lot of that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vil posted:

The best part about low-manning turn 13 (aside from fewer people to fight against for the sheet music) is that the last phase of the fight lasts long enough for the third Akh Morn and its musical accompaniment.

Witness *pew* Suffer *pew pew* Borrow *pew* Reason

Oh my god does it really line up? gently caress I want to go back, I love musical coordination stuff like that in games (I still think the guy who did the audio on Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance deserves a medal or something).

I've never done T8 or anything of the Final Coil. The dumb idiot in me kind of wants to see them as an easier version of what they once were, though, not the unsynced versions people do now. I don't know why I want that. :shrug:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

T12 and T13 work with their music very well. I want to say Revelation and Blackfires lined up with the music in T12. The teraflare in T13 lines up with the peak of the Answers crescendo, and then Akh Morn is timed to line up with the verses after.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

nuru posted:

T12 and T13 work with their music very well. I want to say Revelation and Blackfires lined up with the music in T12. The teraflare in T13 lines up with the peak of the Answers crescendo, and then Akh Morn is timed to line up with the verses after.

oh my gooooooood

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

oh my gooooooood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNfcrBZVKbU&t=490s

T13 thematically is the coolest thing they've done so far if you ask me, and I am happy I did it when it was relevant.

nuru fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 30, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

nuru posted:

The second part of Ravana's music lines up perfectly with his attacks (up until the last Liberation), to the point where I started timing Blinding Blades based off of it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....Man, you guys are making me feel terrible that I turn the music waaaaaay down.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....Man, you guys are making me feel terrible that I turn the music waaaaaay down.

Why would you, the music in this game is really good. I mean it's FF, one of the things they (almost) never gently caress up is the music.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

nuru posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNfcrBZVKbU&t=490s

T13 thematically is the coolest thing they've done so far if you ask me, and I am happy I did it when it was relevant.

You know those shivers you get sonetimes, frissons or whatever they call em? Yeah just had a couple of those :stare:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah, music synch in big set piece fights is wonderful and I hope they keep doing more of it. Ravana really does turn it into a dance since his attacks in the last phase line up with the song so well.

I was kind of disappointed that they didn't do this so much with Sephirot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

kafziel posted:

Correct.

hobbesmaster posted:

123 with echo is around i133 or so without.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Elderbean posted:

Any general advice for a new player leveling an arcanist? I plan on going Scholar eventually. I haven't played a lot of MMOs, much less a pet class. Any essential keybinds/commands I should commit to memory? What do I do with my pet in a dungeon?

don't use the tank pet in dungeons if you have an actual tank, and don't leave the caster pet on Sic (or manually use the knockback ability) unless you're fighting a boss that's immune to knockback or intentionally trying to piss off the melees.

using Obey instead of Sic is a good habit to get into anyway because there's a bunch of abilities at higher levels that the pet isn't so great at using by itself.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Last night someone here told me to play Scholar again instead of leveling AST. I did, and it was sorta fun but I have no loving clue what I'm doing especially with the Heavensward skills. Any good guides out there I can read while I'm bored at work the next couple hours?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
In general, as a SCH, always always use Selene. Eos is only necessary for stuff that actually needs her healing throughput, which right now is...Seph EX and Midas Savage. Pretty much nothing else! In content where you don't need Eos's extra healing, Selene is overall superior because she buffs your group's offense.

Selene is also okay to use on Sic (she can manage her buff pretty decently and will silence stuff almost instantly when she needs to) as you're learning, or if you feel lazy. She does better on Obey, because you can line her buff up with burn phases and use her AoE status cure when it's actually necessary instead of when one person gets something piddly, but that can wait until you're a bit more comfortable. One skill that's helpful to learn as a scholar is positioning: stick your faerie in a place near the tank in a bossfight without tons of movement, because any time she's moving to follow you she isn't healing. Just...make sure you remember to have her follow you again after the fight. Definitely not something I'm saying from embarrassing experience, nope. :v:

If you're geared for dungeons (and your tank isn't a blithering idiot/highly undergeared/not using cooldowns at all), you can generally leave 80% of your healing to Selene and just DPS. If the tank's taking some significant damage, you can either pop out of cleric stance to deal with it or just use Rouse and see if that takes care of it. Learning to weave in and out of Cleric Stance is very, very important to healing well, and you should start practicing it early on easy content you don't need to heal too much on so it becomes second nature when you're doing content Selene can't solo heal.

Re: Heavensward skills, they don't really fundamentally change SCH from how it played at 60. Broil basically just replaces Ruin or Ruin 2 as your spammy non-DoT damage skill, Dissipation is...highly niche, and Indomitability is a loving godsend when lots of raidwide damage is going out. Deployment Tactics...someone else could probably tell you how to more effectively use it, I basically just Adlo+E4E the tank at the beginning of bossfights and spread it to everyone else and that's it. Emergency Tactics is exactly what it says on the tin, pop it when you really need to heal a whole lot of HP really drat fast; it turns Adlo into Cure 2 and Succor into a souped-up Medica.

e: If you're using Eos, Sic is not an option. Obey or don't use Eos; she is completely worthless on Sic.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 31, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Just...make sure you remember to have her follow you again after the fight. Definitely not something I'm saying from embarrassing experience, nope. :v:

I had a tank die yesterday on a big old pull right after a boss because of this, yeah :saddowns:

It was a little awkward in my defense because I'm currently Eso-poor and while my Scholar is overall i183 her weapon is the i160 from fractal/neverreap. Luckily a trial and an l60 DR tonight should fix that right up, but still.

Thanks for all the words :)

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Did a Midas 3 with MTQ's MIzzteq a little bit ago and it was one of the two best M3 runs I've had this week, out of... 11 now.

gonna get that crank

I swear to god I'm gonna get that crank

e: yessss 12 tries but it's mine now, yay

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 31, 2016

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Indomitability is an aetherflow aoe heal ability with a 30s cooldown. Really powerful and useful for pulling groups out of the "OH gently caress THEY'RE ABOUT TO DIE" health range or healing party wide damage.

Broil is a high damage ruin. Use it when you don't care about running out of mana quickly because it will drain you faster than you'd think you could burn mp.

Deployment tactics spreads your Eye for an Eye and Galvanize shields to everyone like bane spreads your dots. Good for getting tank-strength galvanizes onto the whole party. Has a long-ish (120s) cooldown so you typically want to use it before a boss pull.

Emergency tactics makes your next galvanize do heals instead, it effectively makes Adloquium / Succor have double strength but no shield. Good for clutch heals. Has a fairly short cooldown, 30s, so you can use it whenever it's up to add a little punch to your heals.

Dissipation is interesting. It makes you send your pet away but in return you get a full stack of aetherflow and increases your healing power by 20% for 35s. You can't summon your pet again until those 35s are up. This lets you do stuff like 9 lustrates in a row but it's got a 180s cooldown and not having the utility of your pet available for the next 35s can be a bit of a gamble.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 31, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Ignimbrite posted:

Broil is a high damage ruin. Use it when you don't care about running out of mana quickly because it will drain you faster than you'd think you could burn mp.
A note: this is 95% of the time, especially at 60. Healer gear right now is loving FULL of piety, and if you have good Aetherflow management (use it whenever it's up unless there is huge damage coming that you'll need more than 3 stacks to deal with, Energy Drain with any leftover stacks or whenever you need extra burst for mechanics) MP should really not be an issue at all unless your group is just getting absolutely destroyed, in which case you should bug your resident bard/machinist for MP.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Deployment Tactics...someone else could probably tell you how to more effectively use it, I basically just Adlo+E4E the tank at the beginning of bossfights and spread it to everyone else and that's it.

Honestly, it's not even all that great at that, unless you know an AOE is coming pretty quickly after the pull, or there's things for both tanks to do and you want E4E on both of them. Probably the best use of deployment in most situations is doing just aldo + deploy when a big hit is coming (like most primal's big phase change attack). In some harder fights there's a few other times you might want it, like during Sepihrot EX's add phases, you could deploy an adlo shield to let your team burn them down without as much worry about the damage that comes up from killing them.

Kobata fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 31, 2016

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I had a run of fractal yesterday where a warrior was pulling every mob possible and not using a single cooldown. I was barely staying above empty :suicide:

But yeah at 60 broil is your source of dps. Keep ruin 2 around so you can still hit things when you need to move, though.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Deployment Tactics is very much a "Know the fight" thing. There's only a very small selection of fights in which I'd recommend the spread Adlo before the pull thing, since that's only effective on fights where there's an AoE you want it for in the first 30 seconds which is pretty rare. The spread eye for an eye aspect of it is mostly useless. In the current crop of experts I don't think it'll ever do anything if you spread Adlo before the fight. Pro tip: Placing your fairy well makes for a good mobile deployment platform since it's the one entity you have full control over that you can use the ability on and you don't really need the boost from Defiance or Convalescence most of the time anyway.

Emergency Tactics niche is essentially needing to hit with Succor or Adloquium and your targets already having a shield, it's pretty niche because of it but valuable when it is. The alternate use is when people don't need the shield in the next 30 seconds, but that's when you should just let the fairy heal them anyway.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
General rule of thumb with scholar for dungeons: throw down a shadow flare, rouse your pet, bio 2 - miasma - bio - bane then use broil on targets. Reapply dots as necessary.

Deployment tactics is useful before a pull, but also right before certain raid wide attacks that do a lot of damage. Thordan EX and Sephirot EX have these types of attacks which I also stack with sacred soil. I rarely use it in dungeons though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

[x]
They shoulda gone with metallic gold, but otherwise. :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Can male characters use the afro haircut?

• Locked thread