Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
They're also releasing eight more commanders as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The Brit 4 and 5 looks merely okay, very comparable to the German ships of that tier except faster than the Bayern. The 3, 6, 7 9 and 10 look pretty drat good though.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Mazz posted:

The Brit 4 and 5 looks merely okay, very comparable to the German ships of that tier except faster than the Bayern. The 3, 6, 7 9 and 10 look pretty drat good though.

Nelson has me kind of excited. Only for the idea that you just keep your nose slightly angled to the enemy and smile as all your guns are available without broadsiding.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In my quest to level up Karl von Muller to see if +10% Accuracy and +5% armor is worth trading Quickload Nazi sometimes, I discovered something absolutely hilarious about the Jintsu.

With +5% armor, it bounces Atlanta AP really well. I actually scared an enemy Atlanta bad enough by dunking him three times in a Competition while he deflected off me that he started smoking and running if I got close.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I was thinking it would be fun to figure out which Battleship is the most heavily armored for its tier, give it heavy armor upgrade then stack +deck armor crew members to have a ship impervious to most shell fire.

You could probably get a combined +25% thicker deck armor out of it, which might be enough to put some AP shots into 'bounce' territory. Combine this with Lutjens and you mitigate the speed penalty and get +10% HP to boot rendering you very tanky.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Finally got the Lexington. Sexy features include:

-8x 8" guns, beefy enough to wreck cruisers I blunder into in night battles.

-Can launch four squadrons at a time.

-Plane stats are pretty good; you can upgrade to tier 9 torpedo bombers which have good HP and the torps do 1600 damage each, giving it a potential alpha strike of 8,000 damage.

It has its downsides too though. The biggest one is that the prep time feels really slow, so even though you could hypothetically have 20 planes in the air at a time, this takes forever. As such 3v3 really hurt the carrier. You're under pressure to scout for your team initially so by the time you get a squadron of torpedo bombers the battle is practically over. I find it's useful to throw out multiple smaller squadrons.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Laforey is the least fun thing in this game and would be fine if it just had the same radar as the m-class.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Scouts are dead, time to scout for myself.

:shepface:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Pennsylvania is a glorious warcrime of a bote.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Don't forget, fleet battles in an hour! Show up and laugh as 6 Wyomings converge on a helpless Independence!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Also if we don't show up, US 7th fleet will be ahead of us in fleet rankings.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I don't think I can ever outdo the underwater wrestling match my Perch performed against a pubbie Perch as it tried to vector in on Night10194.

Also not having shadowplay enabled :negative:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The best part was how I mistook you for him because you were so close your nameplates merged and you were both in the same bote, so I almost blew Groggy out of the water (thank you, Repulse dispersion).

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
World of Warships sucks so I'm going to start playing this instead. Is there room in the fleet thing?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

We have a lot of room to spare unless there's a sudden rush of Goons coming in to join. It may take a while before someone with permission lets you in though.

Edit: Remember to post your ingame name so the officers can separate you from the pubbie applications.

Danann fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 30, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Nice, the next patch adds British battleships and has a bunch of measures in it to curb seal clubbing (was that actually a problem?).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ratzap posted:

Nice, the next patch adds British battleships and has a bunch of measures in it to curb seal clubbing (was that actually a problem?).

I have to avoid driving my Fubuki because I genuinely worry I will discourage people from playing the game if I do.

Also if the shares of the 50,000,000 gold are proportional and only 1000 players do it WE ALL GET FREE SURCOUFS

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 30, 2016

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Also if the shares of the 50,000,000 gold are proportional and only 1000 players do it WE ALL GET FREE SURCOUFS

My dream goon team will finally happen!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

quote:

Iowa: Main artillery shooting range of the IX class has been increased to 6064 meters and shooting frequency has been adjusted to 2.49 times per minute. Main artillery shooting range of the X class has been increased to 6244 meters and shooting frequency has been adjusted to 2.55 times per minute.
Illinois: Main artillery shooting range has been increased to 6244 meters and shooting frequency has been adjusted to 2.55 times per minute.

:getin:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Going back to my Yubari to train Kasper Mass, having him on that thing's bridge makes it move like a dancer. I love driving that boat. Dodging all 8 of a DD's torpedoes at close range and then plugging him with HE is beautiful fun and the agility makes it awesome for ASW.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Vatek posted:

World of Warships sucks so I'm going to start playing this instead. Is there room in the fleet thing?

There are like sixty spots open and I have a hundred pubbie applications to rejectno I mean literally over one hundred so do please post your IGN so I can reject the right people.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Saw an impressive number of tier 7s this morning. Pretty nice to have an actual 10v10 with balanced teams instead of the typical 3v3 shitfests I'm used to every 20 minutes.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
My ingame is Vatek.

If I want heavily armored BBs like the brits in NF, which line do I take? I see there's some commanders that give armor boosts.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Vatek posted:

My ingame is Vatek.

If I want heavily armored BBs like the brits in NF, which line do I take? I see there's some commanders that give armor boosts.

There's nothing armored like the British could get in NF, I'm pretty sure even with commanders and equipment battleships will still penetrate you regularly. AP is the general purpose ammo instead of HE, too. I haven't tried stacking all the armor bonuses though.

That said, the Nevada (US tier 5) has good armor and is a good boat besides. US battleships are a good choice in general.

I would say the US battleships are the most durable for low to middle tiers, but I think Japan takes over at some point past tier 6. Britain is coming tomorrow so maybe they'll change things.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I would like everyone reading this to take a moment to ponder that after two months, this stratSubmarine CA BB has somehow never failed us. Ever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also the Colorado gets good with the range guns and the Admiral Hipper gets good with the upgraded cannons.

Atake Pirate never gets good. Their DD literally ran away when shot up and fled back to their cap, leaving their 4 BBs to get spotted and shot by sub/CA/BB prostrat. Then he got torpedoed by a sub.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The Colorado isn't complete poo poo, except when compared to the Scharnhorst it totally is. The Scharnhorst is better in every way. At least the SoDak is a lot of fun when platooned, you have the DPM advantage you're used to and the secondaries are just loving hilarious.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah but that's like the crippling design flaw the other two T6 BBs have which is called not being the Pennsylvania. I don't always ask for best in class, just usable enough to be fun to play through/with.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah it's not like the US line has many problems so one boat out of 10 ain't bad.

That Iowa buff looks promising, that's a pretty significant upgrade over the guns now.

I'm a little disappointed I couldn't poopsock to fleet admiral but 1400 points in 11 days was too loving much. Especially when the system is so flawed by low player count at 6+. In 100 Kagero games with a 90% WR I had one battle where I got max renown (+35). 26k damage in a no respawn DD game. I had like 10 where I got max negative though, so that's cool.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 31, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Playing the substrat with Groggy and others, I've come around to thinking US subs are seriously the best for two reasons.

One, number of torpedoes can matter quite a bit, but more importantly is 2: Radio on a sub is actually Super Hot. The US general advantage in radio ranges allows for the Sub Lure/Scout Sub strat to be invincible.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Night10194 posted:

Playing the substrat with Groggy and others, I've come around to thinking US subs are seriously the best for two reasons.

One, number of torpedoes can matter quite a bit, but more importantly is 2: Radio on a sub is actually Super Hot. The US general advantage in radio ranges allows for the Sub Lure/Scout Sub strat to be invincible.

So far the best subs I've seen at high tiers were US ones. I was in a badly matched tier 8/9 game on Monday, with my Lexington, Fletcher and Trench on our team vs a H-39, South Dakota, Baltimore, Myoko? and a Fletcher. Our Fletcher died pretty early on and while I was scouting out their BBs with planes and getting a few torpedo bomber hits here and there, the Trench single-handedly sank 4 out of 5 of their ships and the only reason we lost is because A. I had some bug where my carrier refused to budge and was a sitting duck and B. The Trench ran out of torps and was plinking at a tier 9 German Battleship with its deck gun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's like a right and proper Jutland out there, every battle. :britain:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The game translates Dreadnought as Intrepid. :china:

If only the world of warships official forum spergs played this game, so we could see their reactions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So far it's looking like the Brits have good Pen and Damage, decent fire rate, good accuracy, poor armor/HP, and the worst range. Also slow, arcing shells.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So assuming 5000 people still play this game on the NA server, we are looking at 10,000 gold a piece for the event. A more realistic number feels closer to 2500 considering the 20 battles requirement, which is 25,000 gold a piece. Not too bad.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm hoping only 1000 do it so we can get a surcouf in every pot.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Is anyone down for 5v5s tonight? It's something we have to be kinda tryhard about because losing is actively bad for your gold chances, so I need to request you at least have a decent tier 7, preferably a Scharnhorst or a 6 DD you can play well.

Not to be a dick, but I'm in the top 100 right now so I'd rather not play then try to hamfist a poo poo lineup in.

We have tonight and Sunday afternoon/evening to try and get some points.

EDIT: Holy poo poo Beattie at legendary is nuts.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 31, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

5 v 5s somehow look like an even less fun version of Fleet Battle.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
They are but if we can win like 3-4 games you'll get 12,000 gold tomorrow. Also I was wrong so we have just tonight to get 5v5 points.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

3 bots all jammed themselves up against an island, pretty funny. Its nice that they have these modes to help newbie people level up, it means more people eventually making it to higher tiers at some point.

• Locked thread