Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

radlum posted:

Besides the Frank Miller stuff, what are some good Elektra stories?

EDIT: Also, are the old Power Man and Iron Fist comics any good? Been enjoying the new series and got curious about the classic one.

It's not terribly old, but the Immortal Iron Fist is a wonderful comic. It features some Luke Cage, but not really as "Power Man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Any Luke Cage makes a sweet Christmas gift

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

bobkatt013 posted:

Any Luke Cage makes a sweet Christmas gift

:golfclap:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Hello friends, I watched the Batman bin Suparman movie yesterday and that made me think I hadn't read any DC since, like, a month after the new 52.

1) Are there any really standout, exceptional post-n52 runs? I was really into Morrison's Batman, but dropped out when n52 started.

2) What about Wonder Woman? I remember people saying Rucka's run was great, at the time, but I didn't read it. Might as well ask for other good WW stories in general.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

KoldPT posted:

Hello friends, I watched the Batman bin Suparman movie yesterday and that made me think I hadn't read any DC since, like, a month after the new 52.

1) Are there any really standout, exceptional post-n52 runs? I was really into Morrison's Batman, but dropped out when n52 started.

2) What about Wonder Woman? I remember people saying Rucka's run was great, at the time, but I didn't read it. Might as well ask for other good WW stories in general.

Snyder and Cupullo's run of Batman is good, and ends next month.

Haven't read any N52 Wonder Woman other than Justice League. That pics up after issue 30ish and is currently in a really fun arc.

Keep in mind DC is about to do another relaunch Rebirth

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

KoldPT posted:

Brian Azzarello New 52 run on Wonder Woman is fantastic. It's issues #1-35.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KoldPT posted:

Rucka, Simone and Perez are the 3 go-tos for pre-reboot WW. Perez is a bit more interested in the mythic, and it's VERY 80s, but it's still some of the best comics you'll see and is somehow still under-rated generally. Rucka's more interested in the politics and conspiracies than Perez, but if you know Rucka, he's great at that stuff and still manages some great mythological cuts. And Simone does good work with a slightly clunky status quo that had been forced on her when Allan Heinberg and Jodi Picoult had short-yet-delayed runs that kinda fizzled.

As for now? Azzarello and Chiang's run is hailed by a lot of people, but it changes a lot of things at the core of the character, enough that it doesn't sit well with some (like me). Sensation Comics, Bombshells and Legend of Wonder Woman (the latter two are still currently running) are fantastic though. The first is an anthology featuring many different creators from Jaime Hernandez to Noelle Stevenson giving there takes on the character, and most of them are great and some are even innovative (the Stevenson-drawn story is amazing). The second is based on the poster/statue line that reimagined the DC heroines as WW2 pin-ups, and is way better than it has any right to be. Marguerite Bennett and a ton of lady artists make it a fantastic, fun, pulpy Justice League in the European theatre origin story. And Legend of Wonder Woman is the Wonder Woman Year 1-10 we never got.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

KoldPT posted:

You should probably read Batman Incorporated Vol 2 then. Peter Tomasi & Pat Gleason's 'Batman and Robin' runs parallel to that and picks up from it nicely, then Gleason's Robin: Son of Batman solo is good too.
Grayson uses on Spyral from Batman Inc. It's great.

If you want some Superman, pick up Greg Pak's Action Comics run from #25.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

KoldPT posted:

Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman run in the N52 is probably one of the best runs of the character and really got me into the character for the first time. There's a digital series right now called The Legend of Wonder Woman which is fantastic and needs to stay around forever so check that out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So I've enjoyed Deadly Class, Tokyo Ghost and Bitch Planet...what other Image stuff should I hop onto? Doesn't have to be recent, just not poo poo.

It's genuinely weird to me that Image is probably #2 right now in terms of quality.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So I've enjoyed Deadly Class, Tokyo Ghost and Bitch Planet...what other Image stuff should I hop onto? Doesn't have to be recent, just not poo poo.

It's genuinely weird to me that Image is probably #2 right now in terms of quality.

Have you given valiant a try?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I guess more Rick Remender comics, for a start. Low and Black Science.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

My three favorite ongoing series are all from Image: Saga, Sex Criminals, and Chew. The Fade Out is a 12-issue Image series that recently wrapped up, which was excellent (although I haven't read the last TPB yet, but I have faith in Brubaker and Phillips).

I never thought that in 2016, I wouldn't be following any monthly DC or Marvel books, but all my favorites would be from Image.

That said, I've also recently read the first volumes of Prophet, Pretty Deadly, East of West, Manhattan Projects (think I made it through two volumes), Five Ghosts, Lazarus, Satellite Sam, and Southern Bastards (the first two volumes), and I wasn't enamored enough with any of them to continue. But I know a lot of people here like those.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Injection is a pretty decent read as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That said, I've also recently read the first volumes of Prophet, Pretty Deadly, East of West, Manhattan Projects (think I made it through two volumes), Five Ghosts, Lazarus, Satellite Sam, and Southern Bastards (the first two volumes), and I wasn't enamored enough with any of them to continue. But I know a lot of people here like those.

I love almost all of those!

(haven't read Five Ghosts or Satellite Sam, I wish I loved Pretty Deadly more)

Things that I can add:
Nowhere Men (in the sci-fi style of Warren Ellis' work, but not a lot of issues are out, yet)
Rat Queens (if you love D&D and raunchy comedy)
ODY-C (ultra futuristic sci-fi retelling of The Odyssey; not my usual cup of tea, but the art has me enamored)
No Mercy (kids on a school trip are having a really bad day; I don't love this, but some people do)

Uthor fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 28, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Satellite Sam might work better in trades, but I didn't like it at all as a monthly. East of West and Southern Bastards are the two books I most look forward to.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
How good is The Legend of Wonder Woman?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 28, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's a really charming and fun early Wonder Woman story with beautiful art.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Ibblebibble posted:

Injection is a pretty decent read as well.
Yeah I'd suggest this and Pretty Deadly, it's by Kelly Sue DeConnick who writes Bitch Planet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah I'd suggest this and Pretty Deadly, it's by Kelly Sue DeConnick who writes Bitch Planet.

I'd say the bigger draw for that is Emma Rios. Lady can draw the gently caress out of dreamscape fantasy poo poo.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

What's some stuff worth reading involving Guy Gardner?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

What's some stuff worth reading involving Guy Gardner?

Green Lantern Corps pre and post 52, Justice League International, JLI

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Green Lantern Corps pre and post 52, Justice League International, JLI

Yeah, GLC is what I'm reading now which got me interested. (Why is Hal Jordan the main Green Lantern when he's so loving boring?) I'll check out both JLIs.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

Yeah, GLC is what I'm reading now which got me interested. (Why is Hal Jordan the main Green Lantern when he's so loving boring?) I'll check out both JLIs.

I have not read it, but I know he rocks a fantastic 'stach in Red Lanterns at some point and it all looked very fun.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

Geoff Johns loves him some super friends

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Brocktoon posted:

(Why is Hal Jordan the main Green Lantern when he's so loving boring?)

I am legit excited that DC Rebirth will shoot him back into space and let the rookies get some experience.

Also, Guy's part of Red Lanterns is good, hop in when Charles Soule writes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ride the red mustache.

Red Lanterns #21+

Brocktoon posted:

Why is Hal Jordan the main Green Lantern when he's so loving boring?

Read this comic https://www.comixology.com/Justice-...C9pdGVtU2xpZGVy
Tom King shoulda got to write Hal based on this one thing. Stupid double shipping Batman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 30, 2016

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I've recently been getting into comics. I like things where normally serious characters have light hearted shenanigans and/or don't achieve much. Examples of things I've really dug include More than Meets the Eye, Fraction's Hawkeye, Waid's Daredevil, Schadfer's She-Hulk, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Ms Marvel (2014).

Is there anything else like that for me? Bonus points if it's on Marvel Unlimited.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Roach Warehouse posted:

I've recently been getting into comics. I like things where normally serious characters have light hearted shenanigans and/or don't achieve much. Examples of things I've really dug include More than Meets the Eye, Fraction's Hawkeye, Waid's Daredevil, Schadfer's She-Hulk, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Ms Marvel (2014).

Is there anything else like that for me? Bonus points if it's on Marvel Unlimited.

The Incredible Hercules for marvel. Valient has Archer and Armstrong, Faith, and Quantum and Woody

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You'd enjoy Justice League International from the 80's.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Roach Warehouse posted:

Patsy Walker aka Hellcat! is something you should check out (although it's still new and so won't really be on unlimited yet).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Roach Warehouse posted:

I love a lot of these too (Fraction's Hawkeye, MtMtE, Daredevil, and She-Hulk, although I'm not sure who Schadfer is -- Slott and Soule are the two most significant recent She-Hulk writers).

I'll second the classic Justice League International/America/Europe run by Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis. Those series ran from 1987 to 1992 -- first Justice League, which was renamed JL International and then JL America (60 issues in all) and JL Europe was a spinoff series (36 issues in all).

You should also enjoy Nick Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Warren Ellis' Nextwave (although Planetary is his masterwork), Mike Allred's Madman, Peter Milligan and Mike Allred's X-Force/X-Statix, Peter David's second series of X-Factor from the mid-'00s (which began with the Madrox: Multiple Choice miniseries), and the classic twelve-issue run of The Tick by its creator, Ben Edlund.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

You might also enjoy Howard the Duck by Chip Zdarsky and Joe Quinones.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I really enjoyed The Last Days of an Immortal. Like a lot-- something about it reminded me of classic age sci-fi novels from the 1940s-50s.

Anything like else like that?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I've never really read Western comics before

I've read a bunch of Silver Age Spider-Man, I read Civil War (which I loved), and I've read various one-off titles like the first trade for Sex Criminals

I'm looking to get way more into Marvel, is Spider-Gwen good? Spider-Gwen sounds kinda interesting

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Spider Gwen is cool, but if you're looking to get into the lady Spider game, Silk and Spider Woman are in my opinion better. If you sign up for Marvel Unlimited you should be able to read the most recent runs of all three. Spider Gwen was 5 issues, Spider Woman was 10, and Silk was 7. All 3 also now have new ongoing series that started last fall.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's less that I'm looking into the "lady spider" game as much as the concept of Spider-Gwen sounds pretty appealing to me, personally speaking

I value really strong characterization and connective emotional centerpieces in my fiction, with less of an emphasis on rigorous plotting and i find overly self-serious fiction to be downright insufferable (which is why i wanna try marvel and not DC in the first place)

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Just visited Rome and am on a bit of an ancient Rome trip. Are there any comics worth reading set in the Empire or the Republic?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

I value really strong characterization and connective emotional centerpieces in my fiction, with less of an emphasis on rigorous plotting and i find overly self-serious fiction to be downright insufferable (which is why i wanna try marvel and not DC in the first place)

Try Ms. Marvel (the current and last series starring the Pakistani/American MM)
Also, Prez. It's DC, but entirely disconnected from anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wengy posted:

Just visited Rome and am on a bit of an ancient Rome trip. Are there any comics worth reading set in the Empire or the Republic?

X-O manowar