Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Pyronic posted:

does Silverfur Partisan interact with storm spells like Ground Rift the way I want it to?

Partisan doesn't care about cast trigger like these kinds of effects usually do, only when it becomes targetted.

It will work, but I'm not sure how that storm deck is better than the traditional UR builds or what this card does better than Grapeshot or Empty the Warrens. I guess you don't need as many triggers to win since it makes 2/2s, but my understanding of Storm is that it generally either goes off or it doesn't and there's a serious cost in adding this card since it means splashing a third color and keeping it alive to go off with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Yep people are stupid.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I understand why it happens. I just do not like it and have hopes that one day it will stop. number 1 have that ego and thats how you brew. 2. if you brew, then why are you looking here even? 3. how is that harsh...I would find that to be the best game ever and applaud that person. When I say I do not get that lucky I mean I do not draw those hands when the exact cards fallinto place. I do win more than my fair share of games. I just do not factor in good luck with wins because part of that has to be skills. I will not assume things that I do not know about my opponents decks. Also what do I cre about PV? no offense to him meant but thats his deal. One thing more I want to say about luck. I never wish my opponents good luck, for 1 simple reason I do not them to blame luck for their loss or to say they got lucky when they won. I want to know that it was skill that won the game regardless of who did it. (assuming the game was won by anyone)

ABOUT MIKE
I am a very different kind of person. I am a self published writer. and all of my thoughts are original.

I value pride/honestly/respect and an overall ability to just be yourself. I am very instinct strong. I am able to read many people and more often then not i am correct. I hide allot about myself from everyone including myself.

I believe allot of things others may not. I will always be the lone outsider who just watches as the world burns. I will not cheer, I will not cry. I will watch and be mesmerized by the flames.

FAVORITE QUOTES
when the world ends remember your true friends, for they will be with you when the world ends.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I understand why it happens. I just do not like it and have hopes that one day it will stop. number 1 have that ego and thats how you brew. 2. if you brew, then why are you looking here even? 3. how is that harsh...I would find that to be the best game ever and applaud that person. When I say I do not get that lucky I mean I do not draw those hands when the exact cards fallinto place. I do win more than my fair share of games. I just do not factor in good luck with wins because part of that has to be skills. I will not assume things that I do not know about my opponents decks. Also what do I cre about PV? no offense to him meant but thats his deal. One thing more I want to say about luck. I never wish my opponents good luck, for 1 simple reason I do not them to blame luck for their loss or to say they got lucky when they won. I want to know that it was skill that won the game regardless of who did it. (assuming the game was won by anyone)

ABOUT MIKE
I am a very different kind of person. I am a self published writer. and all of my thoughts are original.

I value pride/honestly/respect and an overall ability to just be yourself. I am very instinct strong. I am able to read many people and more often then not i am correct. I hide allot about myself from everyone including myself.

I believe allot of things others may not. I will always be the lone outsider who just watches as the world burns. I will not cheer, I will not cry. I will watch and be mesmerized by the flames.

FAVORITE QUOTES
when the world ends remember your true friends, for they will be with you when the world ends.

:allears:

These people are precious.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm pretty sad about this tbh. Here I thought my wins on mulls to 4 were impressive but it turns out they don't even count!

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUp0xGSRTco&t=2340s
(39:00 if the timestamp doesn't work)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

(It worked) Will probably watch the whole thing, but I have to keep watching from there to see how long Brad holds that over him for.

First thing I thought of after pausing it was imagining the same thing being said by Barry Shitpeas.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
edit: efb

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

BizarroAzrael posted:

First thing I thought of after pausing it was imagining the same thing being said by Barry Shitpeas.

"So there's this bird, right, called Lilly Annah? And I think she's Muslim, cos she has a veil? Well anyway in this new set, right, there's a card where you can see her armpits? And that's ooh real sexy, right, because you don't get to see the armpits of muslim women that often. Because they're forbidden?"

..Okay, Charlie Brooker I ain't.

This reminds me - why the gently caress does everyone pronounce her name "Lilly Anna"? that's just stupid.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
How do you pronounce it?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

(It worked) Will probably watch the whole thing, but I have to keep watching from there to see how long Brad holds that over him for.

He doesn't even bring it up for Vampire Noble, very disappointing

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

whydirt posted:

How do you pronounce it?

More of an "ah" sound than the typically long A for Anna. But I've had one friend named Anna who pronounced her name with the "ah" sound so it still works. :shrug:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

whydirt posted:

How do you pronounce it?

Like the first one here. I'm over-reacting when I'm saying it's stupid, of course, it's up to a person to say how their name is pronounced (or in the case of fictional characters - their creators), however it always sounds so jarring to me to hear it pronounced as basically two separate names, rather than a single one, like it's spelled. I suppose not being a native English speaker also has something to do with it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sharzak posted:

would love to see a list, please and thanks!

Edit--for ramp or BW

Sure.

Deck: W/B/C

//Lands
1 Battlefield Forge
4 Caves of Koilos
2 Forsaken Sanctuary
2 Llanowar Wastes
3 Plains
4 Shambling Vent
7 Swamp
2 Westvale Abbey

//Spells
2 Anguished Unmaking
3 Dead Weight
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
4 Grasp of Darkness
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited
3 Read the Bones
3 Secure the Wastes
2 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
2 To the Slaughter
3 Transgress the Mind

//Creatures
3 Reality Smasher
4 Thought-Knot Seer

Display deck statistics
Best thing I like about the deck is the mile long list of removal you have in black and white.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 31, 2016

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

what's the point of this instead of another llanowar wastes? (and/or any other colorless producers instead of these specifically)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wrong Sorin buddy. :haw:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I like this list and will try it though I don't like 2 Ob Nix AND 2 Sorin. The cards are too similar. I would cut the ob nix and replace it with either 2 more removal spells or maybe 2 Barer of Silence? Also why aren't you playing Delcaration in Stone or Languish? I actually think Languish is so good that it might be worth dropping the TNS's for totally. TNS dies to alot in this format and I think it's taking a step back.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Telex posted:

what's the point of this instead of another llanowar wastes? (and/or any other colorless producers instead of these specifically)

It makes white, which he presumably decided he needed another source of, rather than black.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I like this list and will try it though I don't like 2 Ob Nix AND 2 Sorin. The cards are too similar. I would cut the ob nix and replace it with either 2 more removal spells or maybe 2 Barer of Silence? Also why aren't you playing Delcaration in Stone or Languish? I actually think Languish is so good that it might be worth dropping the TNS's for totally. TNS dies to alot in this format and I think it's taking a step back.

It is mostly just a playtest thing to run the two different planeswalkers and my list started out from discussion on reddit. In playtesting, they are super similar and honestly for some reason it feels right at the moment. I doubt the decklist is going to be set in stone, its just what I am playing atm to get a feel for what I like better.

Declaration in stone and languish have all been considerations. So has Flaying tendrils. All have been used in the board or mainboard in all sorts of configurations. All could be better or worse depending on how the meta shakes out. If I am playing TKS though, languish is probably better out of the board and that is why it is the current way in that build. I really love declaration in stone and in this build it was coming out of the board.

I really like TKS. Yes, lanquish kills it but at the turn it comes down you are more likely to exile a lanquish then your opponent to have 2 or topdeck the other. It works with trangress in that you get rid of the few options your opponent has to do anything against your reality smasher or planeswwalkers that you just run over them.

Telex posted:

It produces white and colorless and llanowar wastes produce black and colorless. Sometimes you need different lands that produce different mana to make the deck more consistent.

Count Bleck posted:

Wrong Sorin buddy. :haw:

Ha, didn't notice. Good catch.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 31, 2016

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Honestly found this kinda sad. He's dumb as gently caress but also seems completely out of his mind. LSV tweeted about it which is unnecessary and, one might even say, smug...

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Terrible Horse posted:

Honestly found this kinda sad. He's dumb as gently caress but also seems completely out of his mind. LSV tweeted about it which is unnecessary and, one might even say, smug...

His facebook is public.. There are some..interesting... Things on there

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

His facebook is public.. There are some..interesting... Things on there

He really is a drama queen.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Again, I enjoyed reading his comments as if he were Barry Shitpeas (not our Barry Shitpeas)

I want to follow that dude and net-deck everything he does.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Really like that deck, Sickening. I think I'm going to be running something quite similar. I don't want To The Slaughter MB unless I have sinister concoction or something to help ensure I get delirium, and I'd probably swap out Secure the Wastes for Declaration in Stone. You make a good point about TKS taking out the removal that would be used on it, but I'm actually kind of worried about potential madness/delirium enabling from Reality Smasher. Transgress also might find itself turning into Duress.

A lot of this is meta-dependent tweaking, the core is solid.
I do like the idea of running both Ob and Sorin--you'll deal enough damage to yourself that Sorin's lifegain will be really welcome (plus he's only two turns from an ult that wins you the game with Westvale Abbey, the most ballin' way to win in the format) but Ob coming out a turn earlier and just straight up destroying a creature will be quite nice as well, I think having a split is the right choice.

I'll either do this, Esper, or a janky RG ramp build. I haven't played Standard since RTR/Theros i'm pretty fuckin excited

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think this might be the first standard I commit to control and honestly I can't say I'm not excited.

The creatures are small enough that languish is good enough to be a board wioe, and theres a bunch of sac spells that get around the ulamog problem

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Wow, I really didn't expect an anti-netdecking screed in the comments of an article about mulligan decisions.

Seriously, the thread just keeps going and going, holy gently caress.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 31, 2016

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Has anyone been testing that Red Eldrazi deck in the post-rotation format? I have most of it built and I'm hoping it's for real.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Madmarker posted:

Wow, I really didn't expect an anti-netdecking screed in the comments of an article about mulligan decisions.

It's really impressive because he had to find his way to the comments section of an article on a high-end MTG Strategy site to go off about the evils of netdecking.

I suspect that's why LSV pointed it out, too.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Oh my god.

On the upside I guess I'm good at mulligans.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Has anyone been testing that Red Eldrazi deck in the post-rotation format? I have most of it built and I'm hoping it's for real.

It's a lot of fun.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sharzak posted:

Really like that deck, Sickening. I think I'm going to be running something quite similar. I don't want To The Slaughter MB unless I have sinister concoction or something to help ensure I get delirium, and I'd probably swap out Secure the Wastes for Declaration in Stone. You make a good point about TKS taking out the removal that would be used on it, but I'm actually kind of worried about potential madness/delirium enabling from Reality Smasher. Transgress also might find itself turning into Duress.

A lot of this is meta-dependent tweaking, the core is solid.
I do like the idea of running both Ob and Sorin--you'll deal enough damage to yourself that Sorin's lifegain will be really welcome (plus he's only two turns from an ult that wins you the game with Westvale Abbey, the most ballin' way to win in the format) but Ob coming out a turn earlier and just straight up destroying a creature will be quite nice as well, I think having a split is the right choice.

I'll either do this, Esper, or a janky RG ramp build. I haven't played Standard since RTR/Theros i'm pretty fuckin excited

I agree with your points and its kind of nice how the options given to this deck are so incredibly flexible compared to other deck color choices. I think dead weight enables delirium enough and with how many planeswalkers show up turns 5-7 it can be a real blowout for 2x slots.

I really do like secure the wastes at the moment. It gives you options if your opponent is also playing control or is midrange that has a slow draw. End of turn secure the wastes against b/w control or the mirror means that you get a full turn out of them considering languish and DIS are sorceries. Also, abbey online a lot in this deck and I find that part hilarious.

Declaration in stone is very powerful. The problem I find is that sorcery speed means that unless you are playing against something green, zombies, or tokens you aren't getting enough 2 for 1. I would also say that blowing up tokens against the mirror or control really didn't work out in my favor long term. Its just something in my sideboard for more aggressive decks along with languish, tendrils, and others.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

In my experience the deck is fun, easy to play, and probably going to be one of the few aggressive/midrange deck options. The only issue I had with it is that the sideboard isn't great against g/r ramp. G/R ramp with k-return is going to blowout that deck from time to time without much that can be done.

You can't ignore a deck that plays lower cost fatties and turns them sideways though.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 31, 2016

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Oh my god I'm reading those comments and I feel so bad for this weird dude. I think what weirds me out the most is the way he messes up common turns of phrase, like "I'm going to get a slack for this" instead of flak or "when you broil it down" instead of boil. Also the best quote from a person I have heard in a while:

"having too much info just bogs my head so i rather have none."

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Madmarker posted:

Seriously, the thread just keeps going and going, holy gently caress.

I do enjoy LSv's limited reviews and i find them to be a good only AFTER I have already done my reviews. Mainly i enjoy laughing at what he tells other people to do. and they gobble it up. I am not saying he is bad

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
He's clearly not that bright and obviously unhinged with a lot personal issues, so beyond a second or two of amusement I don't really see the point in sincerely dissecting his stance or attitude

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I have a hard time believing that this is a real person posting what he actually believes.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Zoness posted:

I have a hard time believing that this is a real person posting what he actually believes.

Mental illness exists

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

MiddleEastBeast posted:

He's clearly not that bright and obviously unhinged with a lot personal issues, so beyond a second or two of amusement I don't really see the point in sincerely dissecting his stance or attitude
Sure, but what about the guy posting the comments?

:rimshot:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Looks like there was a bit of a run at westvale abbey over the last 24 hours... Lowest tcgplayer preorder price is just shy of $20, seems sold out pre-order wise everywhere. This was preordering at $4 at the beginning of the week I think?

Make sure you're bringing something to deal with an indestructible flyer if you're playing standard day one

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I also really like sickening's deck and I will definitely play it but goddamn the mirror match is gonna be pulling teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

Looks like there was a bit of a run at westvale abbey over the last 24 hours... Lowest tcgplayer preorder price is just shy of $20, seems sold out pre-order wise everywhere. This was preordering at $4 at the beginning of the week I think?

Make sure you're bringing something to deal with an indestructible flyer if you're playing standard day one

It is a rare and won't be a 4 of most likely. Don't spend 80 bucks on a playset folks....

stinkles1112 posted:

I also really like sickening's deck and I will definitely play it but goddamn the mirror match is gonna be pulling teeth

The mirror won't be that bad. I suspect it will simply be who gets to stick the reality smasher first most of the time. Also another reason you want TKS instead of just more removal because having more threats than just reality smasher is pretty good.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 31, 2016

• Locked thread