Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I like them a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

10 Beers posted:

The crossguard on that sword looks both incredibly uncomfortable and impractical.

It also looks like two dicks. Though personally I'm more confused by the ring of obligatory pouches that don't seem to be held up by anything. Is that supposed to be some kind of C-string situation?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

With the hair and the weird crossguard forming a trident and the orange scales he almost looks like a grizzled old Aquaman.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Travis343 posted:

With the hair and the weird crossguard forming a trident and the orange scales he almost looks like a grizzled old Aquaman.

Plus the skull and crossbones adds to the nautical / pirate feel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The mesh sleeve on Deathstroke and the halter top on Ravager make it look that dad who doesn't want to admit he's 45 taking his daughter to the club because he's still hip and totally not because he wants to hit on her friends.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

The mesh sleeve on Deathstroke and the halter top on Ravager make it look that dad who doesn't want to admit he's 45 taking his daughter to the club because he's still hip and totally not because he wants to hit on her friends.

To me the orange Tactical Hexagons (tm) look a little bit like Thing hide.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Other lines I would have accepted are:
"Slice!" and "I won't let you get in the way!"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This gritty Super Mario RPG reboot looks terrible.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

redbackground posted:

"Take this, Flash!"

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

redbackground posted:

For some reason the sword reminds me of a buff Crow T. Robot.

"Swoooord!"
"That's one O!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Picklepuss posted:

For some reason the sword reminds me of a buff Crow T. Robot.

"Swoooord!"
"That's one O!"

I'm not feeling this gritty MST reboot.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

My partner says the sword's crossguard reminds her of two Feeldoes. Now I can't un-see them. :blush:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So Snake is going to be the Ninja character in the next Metal Gear?

And someone should tell Ravager that sports bras tend to work better if worn under your shirt instead of over it. Kudos to her for being of of the few female comic book characters to actually wear a sports bra though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's actually a corset and quartertop that velcro to her sports bra.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Deathstroke's sword's crossguard is straight-up dildos and I'm not really sure why his white sleeve isn't black but otherwise I like that a lot. Like, make the sword a spatha and it would be great.

Ravager I have no previous knowledge of, but the skull and crossbones is all kinds of cute so if that's her character's angle it all works.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Ravager's logo is adorable

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like those designs a lot but I have no interest in reading one Deasthstroke book a month much less two.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...why does Ravager's logo have an eye-patch if Rose still has both eyes currently?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X-O posted:

I like those designs a lot but I have no interest in reading one Deasthstroke book a month much less two.

I don't care about Deathstroke, but Christopher Priest is terrific, so I'll give it a shot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

...why does Ravager's logo have an eye-patch if Rose still has both eyes currently?

Forshadowing?

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

prefect posted:

I don't care about Deathstroke, but Christopher Priest is terrific, so I'll give it a shot.
The Prestige was good, wasn't it? :D

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Travis343 posted:

Looks like a gold candelabra.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

Looks like a gold candelabra.

Holding novelty penis candles.

Also maybe I'm overthinking this tacticool nonsense but how are you gonna be a super badass gun-and-sword wielding operator if both the sword and the gun draw from the same side? I guess the holster is a crossdraw?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Holding novelty penis candles.

Also maybe I'm overthinking this tacticool nonsense but how are you gonna be a super badass gun-and-sword wielding operator if both the sword and the gun draw from the same side? I guess the holster is a crossdraw?

I'd assume the opposite. Sword with left hand, gun with right.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If it's a problem with the practicality of drawing the gun and the sword, he can always grab both weapons between panels. The placement is probably motivated less by practicality and more by visual balance. There's a poop ton of black or w/e the darker color is, especially on Deathstroke's right. With the orange and white crap all on the left side of his mask and arm, the sword at least creates some interest on the other side of his upper body (assuming he wears the sword most of the time he's in costume). The shoulder/mask, belt, holster, and combat ankle-warmer distribute the orange around him in what looks to me like a p. balanced fashion.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Gaz-L posted:

I'd assume the opposite. Sword with left hand, gun with right.

That would be a hell of a draw to pull that sword off his back left handed.

Seriously, visual balance or no, either give him holsters on both sides, or make the holster an obvious crossdraw holster. And while you're at it, turn one of the sword quillions to face downward. And...y'know, maybe make them not look like dicks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's real easy. He just jumps into the air and does a forward flip, catching the sword when he lands.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

10 Beers posted:

And...y'know, maybe make them not look like dicks.

Let's not get crazy now.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Now let me show you why they call me Deathstroke.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Well, why would your logo be your own skull?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

qntm posted:

Well, why would your logo be your own skull?

I dunno, ask the Punisher.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

I dunno, ask the Punisher.

He had the logo made before he had some really intensive dental work done.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot.Thus, much like how Batman utilizes the urban legends of him being a demonic bat creature, the Punisher pretends to be a spooky scary skeleton. I bet there's at least one mob boss who was terrified of Jason and the Argonauts as a kid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Frank Castle was originally going to be a Death-like skeleton, but he bought one of those 80s Halloween costumes where it's just the face of the costume on the chest, and he lost the mask.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NotAnArtist posted:

Deathstroke's sword's crossguard is straight-up dildos

Just needs one of these in a sheath for his off-hand

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollock_dagger

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 2, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
What's the general consensus on Moon Knight's costume? I think it's rather sleek. Usually, I don't like capes but it works for MK because it's functional. The way Bill Sienkiewicz made MK's cape and form so elegant and the way he played with shadows and lines really made that costume shine. Adams did the same sort of thing with the classic blue and grey Batman outfit and the way he drew the cape and the cowl. Somehow both of those artists were able to illustrate facial expressions even with a full (or nearly full in Batman's case) mask and the capes really added to the panels.

Also included in this analysis are Daredevil's and the Punisher's costumes. I always liked solid, simple designs with subtle embellishments. The Punisher's all black outfit with the skull (even if the skull's not entirely subtle), DD's all red, Black Panther's all black/grey and even the black Spiderman/Venom suit fit this mold.

Seems like most of the time when they add too much poo poo, the costume suffers.

I also liked John Byrne's costumes in Fantastic Four. He was the first artist I ever remember drawing actual clothes/jumpsuits instead of just drawing skin tight decorations on overly muscled heroes. Reed and Sue's costumes had wrinkles and looked like people actually wearing fabric. Ben was in his underwear, of course, but even that made sense since he's 500 pounds and made of orange rock.

Alex Ross has a way of making costumes look real that I've always admired. His Shazam/Captain Marvel art in Kingdom Come was very striking and made a pretty goofy costume look god-like and real.His work on that entire book is still awe inspiring.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

How exactly does Alex Ross pull that off anyway?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sinners Sandwich posted:

How exactly does Alex Ross pull that off anyway?

He draws from models posed wearing costumes? Usually just plain spandex/lycra of the same cut as the costume, which is pretty universal across all the different colours/patterns..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BiggerBoat posted:

What's the general consensus on Moon Knight's costume? I think it's rather sleek. Usually, I don't like capes but it works for MK because it's functional. The way Bill Sienkiewicz made MK's cape and form so elegant and the way he played with shadows and lines really made that costume shine. Adams did the same sort of thing with the classic blue and grey Batman outfit and the way he drew the cape and the cowl. Somehow both of those artists were able to illustrate facial expressions even with a full (or nearly full in Batman's case) mask and the capes really added to the panels.
Neal Adams was actually the editor for Sienkiewicz's Moon Knight.

quote:

I also liked John Byrne's costumes in Fantastic Four. He was the first artist I ever remember drawing actual clothes/jumpsuits instead of just drawing skin tight decorations on overly muscled heroes. Reed and Sue's costumes had wrinkles and looked like people actually wearing fabric. Ben was in his underwear, of course, but even that made sense since he's 500 pounds and made of orange rock.
Kirby's original stuff made it look like clothes they were wearing and not just body paint.

• Locked thread