Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Oh, I meant to come into this thread to bitch about how NightCry is kinda pissing me off with all the random and entirely missable elements necessary to obtain the full length "true" playthrough/ending. Then I remembered the Clock Tower games of old were exactly like that, too.

Plus, this game killed someone with a vending machine AND scared me with an air dryer. I got what I paid for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Has anyone playing NightCry run into a situation where there's just straight up nothing left to shake the scissorman with? I think if you press the skip cutscene button when the game plays an animation of Monica hiding it auto fails you and he destroys that hiding spot. Literally the only option left to me was the washing machine and that's a trap.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Has anyone playing NightCry run into a situation where there's just straight up nothing left to shake the scissorman with? I think if you press the skip cutscene button when the game plays an animation of Monica hiding it auto fails you and he destroys that hiding spot. Literally the only option left to me was the washing machine and that's a trap.
I think I ran into a similar situation on the boat, and I think it's just a situation where you have a finite number of options. I get the impression that they don't want you to trigger every situation with Scissorman, like the small freezer in the gift shop, or maybe there was just something more to hiding in closets that I missed? Maybe you can't use the same one twice, or like you mentioned, attempting to skip the hiding just automatically makes you fail. Or maybe there was more stuff to interact with to fight him; like in that area there were two closets, the pepper spray, and a fire extinguisher....but that bucket always made me think I could do something with it.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I did some science and yeah every hiding spot works Once. This includes reusing the same idea like hiding in a closet in two different rooms. I'm not sure if I prefer that to Clock Tower's dice roll with diminishing returns each time you reuse a hiding spot but at least it's clearer I guess.

Oh also turns out you can duck behind the counter in the store and that doesn't have a minigame, it just always works. I think it's this games toilet broom? That bucket should fuckin work though with how prominently they display it. What is and what is not an escape point could really benefit from being highlighted during a chase or something.

5 hours in and i'm still completely unclear how the point and click movement actually works. Sometimes the character will go in that direction forever and other times they will stop on the spot you clicked on. It's kinda bad.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Haha, I can definitely feel you on the movement; I was mostly fine with the lady in the first part but once I got to the island, that old man would just not keep moving. It's good to know that there's a reusable spot though in that one part, but in the end it really feels like Clock Tower: First Fear with needing to fully explore and know where pretty much every useless thing is or might be, and the knowledge that investigating will likely get you hosed as well. It's a good feeling and it's nice to know that dude never lost his touch with the idea.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Dave Angel posted:

....the history of the Old Ones has them warring against the Cthulhu spawn in ages passed...
Only in the fanfiction of August Derleth and subsequent works.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What was wrong with fatal frame 4, I don't know anything about it other than I guess it wasn't made by the same devs, it never came out in the states, and it featured a flashlight that could kill ghosts. Was there something really bad about it?

I remember hearing it had a bug where you'd walk through a door into an unloaded room and be out of bounds but idk how often that occurred.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I pretty much felt the same way as previous posters re. Fatal Frame 5, but I thought the controls were alright. Tank controls that switched to fps controls when taking photos. It got a bit cramped sometimes but the fights where you had space to run around where kinda too easy anyway. The Wiiu gamepad camera gyro gimmick worked fantasticly well imo.

But yeah the story was kinda whatever.

The best scare for me was(non-story spoiler)when you were doing camera surveillance with Ren and the tall lady peeked through the top of the doorway, overall it was moderately spooky.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 31, 2016

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Only in the fanfiction of August Derleth and subsequent works.

Nope, it's there in At the Mountains of Madness, chapter 7:

quote:

Another race—a land race of beings shaped like octopi and probably corresponding to the fabulous pre-human spawn of Cthulhu—soon began filtering down from cosmic infinity and precipitated a monstrous war which for a time drove the Old Ones wholly back to the sea—a colossal blow in view of the increasing land settlements. Later peace was made, and the new lands were given to the Cthulhu spawn whilst the Old Ones held the sea and the older lands.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
gently caress now I gotta try the clock tower games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

gently caress now I gotta try the clock tower games

Clock Tower SNES and Clock Tower PS1 are what you'll wanna try out, don't mess with Clock Tower 2/Ghost Head PS1, it has some interesting ideas but is not a good game because there are a lot of parts where you unknowingly gently caress yourself over and condemn yourself to a game over. Like, for example, an early part of the game where if you examine a statue, then the statue will chase you, but if you don't examine the statue, then at the end of the game when you're in another area of the game, the statue gets thrown at you and you die. Clock Tower 3 has amazingly terrible cutscenes and some neat designs but isn't a good game, haunting ground is solid but skeezy.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I haven't played a Fatal Frame since Nintendo bought the property. I miss the gently caress outta those games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean there's only been like two games since then and one was bad and never left Japan

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
fear equation is out. which is sort of a horror game if your idea of horror is having to manage people

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Normal Adult Human posted:

fear equation is out. which is sort of a horror game if your idea of horror is having to manage people

I have manager friends who will tell you it is the epitome of terror.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

that game is good

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Fatal Frame 4 wasn't very good. Like 5, there was a lack of good 'lore' in the game - most of what was happening was due to fairly modern events, as you're mostly exploring a hospital. Also the final boss sucked - you need to stun it then play a piano using the wiimote - gently caress up, and you have to fight it again. It took a single fatal frame/zero shot to kill it, but I hosed up that stupid piano game three times. Felt extremely anticlimactic.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Morpheus posted:

you need to stun it then play a piano using the wiimote

:laffo:

I totally get the complaints that Maiden of Dark Water is not scary... so far it's been more funny than anything. I could not stop giggling at the ghost that falls out of trees onto you. It was just "aaaaaaAAAAAAAAA THUD aaaaaaAAAAAAAAA THUD aaaaaaAAAAAAAAA THUD" over and over again. Also everyone in this game is distractingly hot.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

:laffo:

I totally get the complaints that Maiden of Dark Water is not scary... so far it's been more funny than anything. I could not stop giggling at the ghost that falls out of trees onto you. It was just "aaaaaaAAAAAAAAA THUD aaaaaaAAAAAAAAA THUD aaaaaaAAAAAAAAA THUD" over and over again. Also everyone in this game is distractingly hot.

If you have an irrational fear of dolls, like me, there is a pretty scary segment pretty early on. I'm sure you can figure out where.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Atmosphere in Fatal Frame 4 was solid, but I never was in any danger once in the entire game, and that's a big deal in this kind of games imo. It made it look like it was gonna murder my face any moment, but it never delivered. Whether it's the more efficient wiimote controls or just poor balancing i don't know.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Foxhound posted:

If you have an irrational fear of dolls, like me, there is a pretty scary segment pretty early on. I'm sure you can figure out where.

Fatal Frame 2 had a much creepier doll thing going on; one house was a dollmaker's house and he used a doll to replace a dead twin sister. During the inevitable fight, you have to figure out which of the ghost twins is the real sister, because the camera doesn't work on the doll ghost.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I remember that one. When I first played it I kept loving up which was which.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Anyone know if this is any good? I liked Zafehouse Diaries until I realized everyone inevitably ends up despising each other and there's not much you can do about it without the microest of management

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fear Equation is good, but it requires the same sort of lateral thinking and non-obvious observation skills that made Zafehouse so frustrating for so many people.

For example, in Zafehouse, to avert the very hate spiral you're talking about, you needed to pair people up based on skills and prejudices - in any team of 5, you could usually get at least 2 teams of 2 that had some worthwhile skill and no major prejudices. They can then work together and have positive experiences, and at max relationship they will occasionally trigger an event that makes everyone feel better about each other. So morale works fine in that game, but you have to be very perceptive about what exactly makes that stuff work and not work.

Fear Equation is somewhat similar in how defenses against fear attacks work. First you need the equipment, which is different per fear. Spider defenses require web cutters, for example, but those aren't useful against infections or demons. What's non obvious is that for perfect defenses against a fear, you need 100% defense per person in the carriage. Well, a basic defense is 50%. So if you do what your gut says to do and keep people together, you're inevitably going to lose a lot of people to fear attacks because there is no earthly way you can defend against all the fears popping up in a carriage.

What you end up needing to do is segregate people based on their fears. If you're having spider dreams, you're in car 1. The void? Car 3. Demons? Car 7. But fears change as the game goes along, and what happens if you need an accomplished guard in car 7 to actually deploy the demon defenses, but the only car with a guard to spare is car 1? You're basically inviting a ton of spiders into car 7, and car 7 has no defenses against the loving things. So there is a lot of tension from day to day while you agonize over how to position your people, along with the "....NO!" moments of rising dread when a fear manifests itself at your most vulnerable moment.

Of course, the game more or less expects you to find this out through loving up and calmly considering your gently caress ups. It will not hint you at this.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Out of curiosity, have you played Deadnaut? It's the only Screwfly game I've played and I really want to like it, but it feels like a strategy game with no way to strategize. Like, there doesn't seem to be a way to match up equipment against certain enemies because the enemies are random, the blueprints are random, and the gearing costs are so high. Nor is there a way to really interact with the billions of stats, like the different resistances. It's either a bad game or I really need someone to make a post about it like you just did for Fear Equation.

On a totally unrelated note, if you are a smart and cool person who has Lakeview Cabin Collection, episode 6 was just added today on the beta branch. Very loosely based on Alien, this one has you on a space station of degenerate scientists with face-hugging parasites, robots, log entries, beer, ghosts, and all sorts of other weirdness. Steam is being a shithead and breaking my image links or otherwise I would post some.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zombie Samurai posted:

On a totally unrelated note, if you are a smart and cool person who has Lakeview Cabin Collection, episode 6 was just added today on the beta branch. Very loosely based on Alien, this one has you on a space station of degenerate scientists with face-hugging parasites, robots, log entries, beer, ghosts, and all sorts of other weirdness. Steam is being a shithead and breaking my image links or otherwise I would post some.

Are the puzzles as obtuse as Episode 5?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

1stGear posted:

Are the puzzles as obtuse as Episode 5?

I haven't played much but it seems much more in line with Episode 3. There are locked doors with obvious keycards and some items that have pretty clear uses. There's also some really useful new stuff like a station map and lifters that let you get over and past enemies in certain rooms. I managed to escape from the station pretty easily, which got me a cool HUMANITY IS DOOMED ending because I didn't do anything about the monster. I don't know how you beat the thing but there's a lab and a command center, so there's probably some way to poison it or blow up the station and I doubt it's anything as complex as Episode 5.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Zombie Samurai posted:

I haven't played much but it seems much more in line with Episode 3. There are locked doors with obvious keycards and some items that have pretty clear uses. There's also some really useful new stuff like a station map and lifters that let you get over and past enemies in certain rooms. I managed to escape from the station pretty easily, which got me a cool HUMANITY IS DOOMED ending because I didn't do anything about the monster. I don't know how you beat the thing but there's a lab and a command center, so there's probably some way to poison it or blow up the station and I doubt it's anything as complex as Episode 5.

Kickass, loved me some (Episode 3) LCC so thanks for the heads-up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I have not played Deadnaut but now that someone has brought it up like that I probably will take a look at it sometime soon.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I got all the endings in NightCry and I just learned that Vigo's voice actor is Barry loving Burton from the original Resident Evil.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think you mean BARRY BURTON

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Speedball posted:

Fatal Frame 2 had a much creepier doll thing going on; one house was a dollmaker's house and he used a doll to replace a dead twin sister. During the inevitable fight, you have to figure out which of the ghost twins is the real sister, because the camera doesn't work on the doll ghost.

Prior to the fight, you have to rebuild the doll by collecting the individual parts. If you view it through the camera, you can see it flexing it's fingers before its complete. :ghost:

How were 4 and 5 with moments like that? Seeing something creepy through the view finder that otherwise isn't brought up was one of my favourite things to build the atmosphere.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Prior to the fight, you have to rebuild the doll by collecting the individual parts. If you view it through the camera, you can see it flexing it's fingers before its complete. :ghost:

How were 4 and 5 with moments like that? Seeing something creepy through the view finder that otherwise isn't brought up was one of my favourite things to build the atmosphere.
I remember 4 had one ghost in particular that I think was very attached to the ideas of death and would sleep in a coffin and wheel around a life sized doll of their dead sister. And once you got in their room, you could look at the mannequin for the doll of the dead sister through the camera and I think it would suddenly turn to you. It's a very similar idea to the dollmaker in Fatal Frame 2, but I found that when you got around to fighting them that the fight was a bit more tense.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

I have not played Deadnaut but now that someone has brought it up like that I probably will take a look at it sometime soon.

It is the worst screwfly game but its also basically a proof of concept for train dictator simulator

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm still slowly poking my way through Fatal Frame 1 I've been playing it in bursts because of the atmosphere plus super frustrating controls. I just beat Takamine before I stopped the other day.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Sylvio is getting upgraded to Unity 5 and a general overhaul as a free update on May 2nd.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

I'm still slowly poking my way through Fatal Frame 1 I've been playing it in bursts because of the atmosphere plus super frustrating controls. I just beat Takamine before I stopped the other day.

The first three had such an oppressive atmosphere, the first two very much so, so much that nowhere felt safe. I think the tank controls add on to that.

It's one of those things where I hate that Nintendo owns a property, because we'll never get HD ports. See also Eternal Darkness.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 5, 2016

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
E: quote isn't edit, my bad.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The first three had such an oppressive atmosphere, the first two very much so, so much that nowhere felt safe. I think the tank controls add on to that.

I feel like the third one starts toned down but gradually ramps up until it actually feels more oppressive than either of the first two, with the house gradually becoming more and more haunted until even in broad daylight there are ghosts showing up in your hallways.

Take that with a grain of salt, though, the phrase "Fatal Frame 3 is my favorite in the series" usually gets me reactions like I'd said "Hitler did nothing wrong" so I may just be deranged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's one of those things where I hate that Nintendo owns a property, because we'll never get HD ports. See also Eternal Darkness.

There was a time I saved then walked across the room and suddenly was being attacked by a ghost. So yeah that's definitely how it feels and the fact they chase you because walls mean nothing to ghosts.