Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Scruffpuff posted:

Maybe so, but the fall from hero to zero happens in a flash. The loudest supporters will be the ones preparing the noose when the scales finally fall from their eyes. I wonder if Chris is ready for that? The people around him better start setting up distance between them and this project in the hopes they might get missed during the reckoning. Sandi dipping out is one of the indicators I've been looking for. She's been on camera a bit less lately, which I find somewhat telling, considering her propensity for making everything about her. If anyone has their finger on the pulse of what benefits them personally, and gently caress everyone and everything else, it's her.

Worst case he'll just gently caress off back to Australia with millions and live among the snakes.

Gatsby again, this time creepin' in the bathroom.

We like to give lots of nicknames to our pets, which evolve over time. Here are some.

-Gatz
-Gattsbutt
-Geebus
-Geebz
-Geebus Creebus
-Jarvis
-Jeeves
-MacGuillicutty

Toops fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Star Citizen will last for a thousand years.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

AP posted:

Star Citizen development will last for a thousand years.

ftfy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GabrielMobius posted:

I might be entirely wrong but Tree of Savior looks like Ragnarok Online for the new age. How close am I?

its a bit more on rails than RO, but otherwise yea

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The smuggest catte.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Caught up on the thread (by skipping five pages at a time). Here is what happened before the livestream yesterday:

"loving useless child proof piece of poo poo!"

Lesnick winced at the words, trying to move the bulk of his body away from his mentor. His palms, flat on the table he sat at, slid across the top leaving a trail of sweat and desperation. On the other side of the table sat Chris, fiddling with a bottle of aspirin.

"Chris maybe I can--"

"I told you not to call me that! I am the Master Programmer!" Chris screamed, hurling the bottle of aspirin at Lesnick. It hit him in the chest, and with a sickening sound not unlike getting a blowjob from a jello mold, the bottle of aspirin disappeared withing his folds.

"....Master Programmer. We are going live in fifteen minutes. Are you sure...." Lesnick did not know how to finish that sentence. In fact, Lesnick had never even thought of a sentence pertaining to Chris Roberts where he would question his hero.

Chris's beady eyes shot over to Lesnick. Chris vibrated in his chair, his hands trembling and his eyes vibrating. "I don't remember asking you for opinions. I don't remember asking you for anything! You just showed up one day, trying to fit through a goddamn door and offering yourself to me like a sexual slave! And I had four of those already!"

Lesnick bit his lip. It tasted like bacon grease. He knew Chris was right, but he did not like seeing the best coder since he was a small boy in this state. Lesnick wiped a fresh stream of sweat off his forehead.

"So are we doing this, or what?" a bored voice said off to Lesnick's left. Lesnick turned, and a full minute later faced Lando, who had his head on the table.

"Of course we're doing this! I am jacked up on all sorts of illegal and exotic drugs! I can see the future! A future where my game, my vision is out there! 87% of the world is playing it! Why aren't more people playing it you fat gently caress?!"

Lesnick turned his head to see Chris staring a hole in him. Lesnick could see the heat rising from Chris's skin. He did not look good.

"Master Programmer, maybe you should lie down--"

"I will not be talked down by a man-made mountain such as yourself! You have been nothing but an insufferable hack since you started here, and your incompetence will no longer be tolerated! And you have a small, limpish dick!"

"Master Programmer?"

"What??"

"You're looking into a mirror."

Chris did a double take to acknowledge the fact he was indeed looking into a mirror. "Well that goes double for you too!" he screamed, smashing the mirror with a fist. Glass shattered onto the floor.

Lando lifted his head, a bored expression on his face. "Oh good, another expense. Just what we need."

Lesnick felt his heart pounding hard. He had never seen Chris like this. He looked around the room for support, but everyone had abandoned them. He felt a light breeze, and turned to see Chris by his side, his fingers digging into Lesnick's arm. Lesnick felt nothing.

"Remember, mirrors steal souls. Mirrors are an evil thing. Created by evil warlocks to store our souls like ammunition for their unseen and otherwordly war," Chris said, his eyes bulging from his head.

"That explains why Sandi looks the way she does," Lando said in a defeated tone.

"Laugh while you can you homeless loving mall santa!" Chris hissed, frothing at the mouth.

"Guys, we are supposed to be live now. Can you just hold it together Chris until we get through this? We need to tell backers everything is fine."

"Everything is fine! My veins are fizzing on unknown substances! My brain is reaching new parallels in the underverse, which is like the universe, but vastly superior!"

The room stayed silent. Lesnick gulped.

"Right," Lando said, rolling his eyes. "Just remember. Promise nothing and keep it simple."

"Yes, we have to keep it simple," Chris said, hunching in his seat, "Because they are simple people. No, no they do not know my vision. No one does," he tapped his forehead hard enough to leave a mark, "Only my mind can contain my vision."

"Chris? Goddamnit stay focused. The chatters are arriving."

"Yes. Simple. Simple and promise them nothing. Little do they know what they are going to get. FULLY NUDE FEMALES. LIKE PLAYTHINGS FOR MY MANY FINGERS OF ECSTASY!!!" Chris shouted, laughing and choking.

"Oh great," Lando said, not paying attention, "the rear end in a top hat goons are showing up. Oh yeah, eightace. Sure you are. I'm going to ban your--"

"DON'T YOU DARE!!" Chris cackled, surprising both Lesnick and Lando, "THIS IS MY TIME TO RAT OUT THE MOLE!! KEEP HIM BUSY I WILL TRACE HIS IP WITH MY MIND!! AND THEN I WILL SMASH HIS HANDS WITH MY COCK!! WHICH IS NOT LIMP LESNICK gently caress YOU HOW CAN YOU SAY THINGS LIKE THIS TO ME I AM FRAGILE!!"

Before Lesnick could say anything, Chris galloped away from the table, clapping his hands to an unknown rhythm. Lando placed his head back on the table. Lesnick's lip quivered, watching the breakdown of his mentor.

A long silence followed.

"You know I'm eightace right?" Lando said, sighing.

I held it together until "Little do they know what they are going to get". After that, it got harder to read through the tears.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4cpy9d/why_is_scott_manley_wanted_by_the_uee/d1kd7tx

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Star Citizen will last for a thousand years.

This is meaningless without the corresponding shoulder rank tabs. Hate to burst your :godwinning: bubble.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

This is meaningless without the corresponding shoulder rank tabs. Hate to burst your :godwinning: bubble.

I didn't start the :godwinning: so I'm not going to argue with an expert on it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Eldragon posted:

Good point: Once the narcissist decides they don't want the spotlight, you know something is up.

The irony is if she'd left at Citcon she could spin an implosion as the consequence of her departure.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

I didn't start the :godwinning: so I'm not going to argue with an expert on it.

The fact that you :f5: this dumb thread still is priceless.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Can confirm, manky is a word

I thought Manky was a pokemon

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

GabrielMobius posted:

I don't remember who linked to the crazy Uglynoodles thread about her insane friend but thank you, it is helping with how slow this thread is moving today.

I posted about when my gf took me to a furry convention in that, lol

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Skoll posted:

no your dumb

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

I might miss something.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

....told you all to stay put. You are witnessing the beginning of The End Times.

Both Star Citizen (PU) and SQ42 are hosed.

The mPU, aside from things designed to make money, is in maintenance mode.

E.L.E. already in progress.

They're hosed.

The End.

FYI, this appeared on my forum early this morning.

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/general-discussions/#post-2812

quote:

Can vouch for the technical issues, some of the things I’ve heard have been terrible from the programming / engineering side. Some I’ve heard has been over the last month or so from people looking for jobs from CIG they applied at my place of work. We are already seeing the negativity at being associated with a failed project as we did not hire any who had applied.

Trouble is because they failed to fix the underlying platform wide issues they now have a severe technical debt. Their engine is practically kaput as no one knows exactly what does what as the experienced staff have already left and no one has full documentation. I was skeptical of various things I had been told about the UK office (more so some than others), I did not think some were physically possible to break Cryengine in so many “wonderful” ways to cause some of the issues they are seeing.

The engine is I understand it is layers and layers of tentacles stacked on top of each other as part of “features” added into the engine but no one has looked at how they all work together – assume it’s a complete mess similar to their server and architecture components. To make matters confusing they refer to certain features as modules of the engine and refer to features-of-features also as modules code side.

Some things I couldn’t verify or refuse to believe were:

Refactor is a keyword within CIG to mean looking at the code, sorry that’s not the word means and having difficulty believing it

Parts of the modified engine have no documentation as to how it interacts with the base of the engine or the API to how a client interacts with a server and vice versa

Some branches only compile successfully on certain dev machines and they don’t know why

Their programmers or engineers usually have to trawl through code to find specific modules which have no standard naming convention

There is no internal standard naming convention for features-of-features for modules

Some underlying base code has changed so much some previously working assets and previously working code no longer works (had heard this is specifically to do with the FPS module), pretty much the two options were to either maintain two code bases or start again

Some days some engineers are disheartened they fail to write any new code and “refactor” old code to maintain a CVS quota (which is apparently an arbitrary number based on commits per-line)

Taking the above with massive pinches of salt it still looks bad, again they are applying for new jobs for a reason so some of it may likely be true but can’t validate it. I’m wondering to see if it matches what you or someone else has.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Sandi has more important cameras to stand in front of. Once her stint as vics mom is up she'll be back.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D_Smart posted:

....told you all to stay put. You are witnessing the beginning of The End Times.

They're hosed.

The End.

*Evidence needed

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/323308/not-much-happened-in-q1-2016/p11

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

D_Smart posted:

They're hosed.

The End.

FYI, this appeared on my forum early this morning.

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/general-discussions/#post-2812

So when are you going to have your big reveal today? I want to schedule the time to sit ant :f5: the thread all day.

Sheogorath
Mar 29, 2007

I thought of a scummy way that they could try to bias ship sales to get more money out of their targets.

So one of the issues that gets brought up is the need to sell more ships without seeming desperate, and how ship sales get less effective at bringing in money the more time goes on. Since players can melt existing ships to buy new ones, if you sell 1000x $1000 dollar corvettes, you may only receive a fraction of the $million dollars expected because a lot of people are melting hundreds of dollars of currently owned ships to upgrade to the new hotness. So thats one issue.

Another issue is that people get upset with flash sales of limited ships cause they can't buy what they want, and then they blame the grey market for grabbing them all up. But you cant just sell 10x the number of your new corvette or it may not sell out and it'll look like there is no demand, thus creating another issue.

What they could do, and I expect they've thought of this too, is allow people to buy a free token for a chance to buy the new ship, and then pick people at random to be able to buy the ship proper. This is a reasonable solution to the limited quantity sales that fixes the problem of unfairness in the flash sales that people complain about.

Where you could get scummy is in biasing the output of 'which people get to buy the ship' to only those who have the least amount of money already in the game. So you sell the new limited corvette at $1000 in a quantity of 1000x, get 10,000 people willing to buy, and choose, at 'random' the 1000 people who have to spend the most additional money to get the ship. You could also add in a small fraction of people who are randomly chosen from the pool so it looks less obvious what you've done. Additionally, there is no public facing data on how many ships are sold, so you could sell more than 1000x and it would never be detected. You could also say that the initial quantity was 3000, and if you get less demand than that, not worry that it'll look undersold because you aren't reporting on the final sales.

But now you have a system where you can sell as many or as few as you want, where its biased towards giving offers to those who have to spend the most to get a ship, and noone can tell that you are overselling or underselling a ship, and the 'CIG is being more fair' element of the 'random' allotment would be a smokescreen to people who get suspicious of the change in how you are reporting the number of ships sold.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Eldragon posted:

So when are you going to have your big reveal today? I want to schedule the time to sit ant :f5: the thread all day.

That was it- you just quoted it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So here's a favourite song from Echo and the Bunnymen:

"Stars Are Stars"

The sky seems full
When you're in the cradle
The rain will fall
And wash your dreams
Stars are stars
And they shine so hard

Now you spit out the sky
Because it's empty and hollow
All your dreams
Are hanging out to dry
Stars are stars
And they shine so cold

I saw you climb
Shadows on the trees
We lost some time
After things that never matter

I caught that falling star
It cut my hands to pieces
Where did I put that box
That had my name in it

I saw you climb
Shadows on the trees
We lost some time
After things that never matter

Cards are played
And the clock's real heavy
Say you're numb
Make another day
You came here late
You've gone home early
Who'll remember now
You've gone away
Gone away
Gone away

See you in the verse commando o9

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

G0RF posted:

That was it- you just quoted it.

Unironically this.

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

Haskell9 posted:

I posted about when my gf took me to a furry convention in that, lol

You have brought me such gifts today. I really need to get out of this thread and browse the forums more, but today is the first day it's ceased moving at 9000 miles an hour.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

we are the kids in the back of the car bothering Uncle Derek

"are we there yet? are we there yet?"

and the answer is always "soon"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Toops posted:

Hey if anyone has a bit of spare time, I'm in need of ship concept art for the three races for Solar Plebeian. The working idea is each race has their own variants of the same ship classes. Below is my wish list. The idea of having 15 different original, fully modeled ships is overly ambitious, and I just need one class per race for what I'm calling the "Alpha 0.1.0 vertical slice".

But the concept art for as much as possible will help arrive at a theme. Although I'm a visual person, I'm not visually creative (if that makes sense). If I try to do it, I'll just end up Archering it. So mainly I'm looking for consistent themes for the three races.

Races:
- Goonrathi
- Sperg
- Stimpire

Classes:
- Scout
- Fighter
- Corvette
- Cruiser
- Capital

Any ideas/artwork, whether serious or not, would be either helpful or funny.

Ship class name absolutely must not accurately describe the ship's actual size and function. I look forwards to piloting a Scout with 200 crew.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Caught up on the thread (by skipping five pages at a time). Here is what happened before the livestream yesterday:

"loving useless child proof piece of poo poo!"

Lesnick winced at the words, trying to move the bulk of his body away from his mentor. His palms, flat on the table he sat at, slid across the top leaving a trail of sweat and desperation. On the other side of the table sat Chris, fiddling with a bottle of aspirin.

"Chris maybe I can--"

"I told you not to call me that! I am the Master Programmer!" Chris screamed, hurling the bottle of aspirin at Lesnick. It hit him in the chest, and with a sickening sound not unlike getting a blowjob from a jello mold, the bottle of aspirin disappeared withing his folds.

"....Master Programmer. We are going live in fifteen minutes. Are you sure...." Lesnick did not know how to finish that sentence. In fact, Lesnick had never even thought of a sentence pertaining to Chris Roberts where he would question his hero.

Chris's beady eyes shot over to Lesnick. Chris vibrated in his chair, his hands trembling and his eyes vibrating. "I don't remember asking you for opinions. I don't remember asking you for anything! You just showed up one day, trying to fit through a goddamn door and offering yourself to me like a sexual slave! And I had four of those already!"

Lesnick bit his lip. It tasted like bacon grease. He knew Chris was right, but he did not like seeing the best coder since he was a small boy in this state. Lesnick wiped a fresh stream of sweat off his forehead.

"So are we doing this, or what?" a bored voice said off to Lesnick's left. Lesnick turned, and a full minute later faced Lando, who had his head on the table.

"Of course we're doing this! I am jacked up on all sorts of illegal and exotic drugs! I can see the future! A future where my game, my vision is out there! 87% of the world is playing it! Why aren't more people playing it you fat gently caress?!"

Lesnick turned his head to see Chris staring a hole in him. Lesnick could see the heat rising from Chris's skin. He did not look good.

"Master Programmer, maybe you should lie down--"

"I will not be talked down by a man-made mountain such as yourself! You have been nothing but an insufferable hack since you started here, and your incompetence will no longer be tolerated! And you have a small, limpish dick!"

"Master Programmer?"

"What??"

"You're looking into a mirror."

Chris did a double take to acknowledge the fact he was indeed looking into a mirror. "Well that goes double for you too!" he screamed, smashing the mirror with a fist. Glass shattered onto the floor.

Lando lifted his head, a bored expression on his face. "Oh good, another expense. Just what we need."

Lesnick felt his heart pounding hard. He had never seen Chris like this. He looked around the room for support, but everyone had abandoned them. He felt a light breeze, and turned to see Chris by his side, his fingers digging into Lesnick's arm. Lesnick felt nothing.

"Remember, mirrors steal souls. Mirrors are an evil thing. Created by evil warlocks to store our souls like ammunition for their unseen and otherwordly war," Chris said, his eyes bulging from his head.

"That explains why Sandi looks the way she does," Lando said in a defeated tone.

"Laugh while you can you homeless loving mall santa!" Chris hissed, frothing at the mouth.

"Guys, we are supposed to be live now. Can you just hold it together Chris until we get through this? We need to tell backers everything is fine."

"Everything is fine! My veins are fizzing on unknown substances! My brain is reaching new parallels in the underverse, which is like the universe, but vastly superior!"

The room stayed silent. Lesnick gulped.

"Right," Lando said, rolling his eyes. "Just remember. Promise nothing and keep it simple."

"Yes, we have to keep it simple," Chris said, hunching in his seat, "Because they are simple people. No, no they do not know my vision. No one does," he tapped his forehead hard enough to leave a mark, "Only my mind can contain my vision."

"Chris? Goddamnit stay focused. The chatters are arriving."

"Yes. Simple. Simple and promise them nothing. Little do they know what they are going to get. FULLY NUDE FEMALES. LIKE PLAYTHINGS FOR MY MANY FINGERS OF ECSTASY!!!" Chris shouted, laughing and choking.

"Oh great," Lando said, not paying attention, "the rear end in a top hat goons are showing up. Oh yeah, eightace. Sure you are. I'm going to ban your--"

"DON'T YOU DARE!!" Chris cackled, surprising both Lesnick and Lando, "THIS IS MY TIME TO RAT OUT THE MOLE!! KEEP HIM BUSY I WILL TRACE HIS IP WITH MY MIND!! AND THEN I WILL SMASH HIS HANDS WITH MY COCK!! WHICH IS NOT LIMP LESNICK gently caress YOU HOW CAN YOU SAY THINGS LIKE THIS TO ME I AM FRAGILE!!"

Before Lesnick could say anything, Chris galloped away from the table, clapping his hands to an unknown rhythm. Lando placed his head back on the table. Lesnick's lip quivered, watching the breakdown of his mentor.

A long silence followed.

"You know I'm eightace right?" Lando said, sighing.

:sbahj:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ahahah

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

:five:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
so what exactly were we waiting for today (the three days?)

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

:vince:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait to find out what may or may not be happening today!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FrankieGoes posted:

Wait, WHAT? I thought crobbnits said that 2.4 would be as much a revelation as to 2.0, as 2.0 was to literally nothing? And Lando is saying 2.4 is humble and lame? What the hell?

Derek, what does your archivist have on this action? Can we get some clarification?

I thought today was a little on the boring side for SC shitfuckery (aside from the continued Archer awesomeness), but shitizens have literally been going apeshit over all these things that they thought were going to be added within the next month or two, and CIG is flat out telling them to quit being fucktards, none of that poo poo is coming before the end of the this year (which means none of it is coming before the end of next year [which means none of it is coming at all]).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4UqMyldS7Q

When I said he was lying during the broadcast, which part did you miss exactly?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I died

That is this moment and many prior like it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ahahahah

:five::five::five:

I love you Daz

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

flyboi posted:

What the gently caress kind of warrant canary does cig have though?

These are used typically to skirt around the kinds of investigations brought forth which are highly classified and even mentioning their existence can be considered treason against the united states. There's absolutely nothing at CiG worth investigating for that as we're talking like phone records, internet tapping, data preservation, etc. Why would the FISA court give a flying poo poo about CiG?

If you're taking the comment (and term) literally, and thinking it has anything to do with FISA, congrats, you're an idiot.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait I thought we were all joking around and having fun, can you literally not choose a gender for your character yet? is that a "big" loving feature that they are waiting on?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm not nearly good enough to work on concept art (unless lovely mspaint drawings are acceptable) but if I might make a humble suggestion - the Sperg ships should be designed especially poorly. Like stick fins and thrusters all over them in places that look cool but make 0 loving sense, and make sure the cockpit has plenty of struts all over the goddamn place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Asema posted:

wait I thought we were all joking around and having fun, can you literally not choose a gender for your character yet? is that a "big" loving feature that they are waiting on?

Yeah, isn't it crazy? Females! You'll be able to play as a female! Chris Roberts truly is the savior of PC gaming.

• Locked thread