Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
AFAIK selling stolen mission slaves to Robigo still works.

So... uh.

I have no idea where to ask this, so I might as well ask here, maybe someone came fiddled with this before. My throttle has two detents on it. AFAIK, they can be moved around if I take the thing apart with a screwdriver, but I'd rather leave that as a last resort.

What I want to achieve is have the ship on full reverse when throttle is at 0, stopped on the first detent, blue zone forward on the 2nd and full throttle at 100. Is there any way to achieve this in elite itself that I'm not seeing? If not, does anyone have a solution to this? I found some joystick curves thing on the webs but while it's very nice it only works correctly for -50 - +50 axis (i.e. pitch/roll) axis and not for 0-100 ones, because it modifies both extremes of an axis.

e: Of course after I ask this I find out moving the deadzone of the throttle in control panel also moves the "center". Good enough for now.

Truga fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010

KakerMix posted:

You'd figure that Imperial-built outposts would always accommodate Imperial-specific ships. Imagine you are some Duke of Imperialisms and you are going to an outpost somewhere to check up on your slave holdings. Are you really telling me that I can't land my pimped-out Clipper at my outpost? Imps must not be as ostentatious as they think they are.

Sir, I'm sorry there's nothing we can do. Sir, please stop screaming.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

They hosed up hard with the limited amount of granularity on module sizes - going up or down a size class on FSD or power distributor or hardpoints is a huge jump in effectiveness so there just isn't that much 'play' in the system for them to make a variety of effective ships. This is why unladen hull mass is such a clusterfuck stat, because it's the only way that they can make ships have meaningfully different jump ranges (like taking an asp from C5 to C4 FSD makes it go from 30+ LY range to ~14-15LY)

It's extra weird because the system is still jammed full of 'magic numbers' so the fact that 2 ships use the same engines or shields means nothing, they could have scrapped the whole module size system entirely with a minimal amount of game impact and just kept the E => A progression for each slot, though I suppose that fails to give the illusion of depth.

The only mechanics in the game that doesn't rely on hidden magic numbers for each hull are the FSD stuff and cargo.

Maneuverability, power plant, speed are all pure magic number.

Their fitting system and the stats behind the ships are probably the biggest lingering time bomb in the game right now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

It's python sized. It's not mass that makes it "large" (it's lighter than the python AFAIK), it's the nacelles.

If you shrunk it down, it wouldn't have the similar internals to the python. Your other option is remove the nacelles, which are the bits that make it fast (the extra engines have to go somewhere). So you'd be left with what's essentially a python... so just buy a python.

I wouldn't complain if it were changed, I'm just a little puzzled by this focus on the clipper's single fault when there are ships out there that are less than worthless. Frankly it's loving great, one of the best ships in the game. All the Imperial ships are superb in fact. The poor Feds on the other hand didn't have a ship worth flying until the FAS came along!

e:gently caress yo tables.

Both the Panther Clipper and the Beluga Liner look nice and make me wish they were already in the game. Especially the Beluga Liner. :sigh:

Of course, I have no idea how the Panther Clipper is supposed to fit through the mail slot, isn't the Type-9 already filling it out almost completely? And the Panther Clipper is even larger. :stare:

Edit:

Or the picture isn't entirely accurate, because I'm sure the Federal Corvette is a lot smaller then this shows.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's an old picture, the ships coloured green are just guestimates (read the key!).

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Type 9 is only about 10 meters wider than the Clipper. The Beluga could be a good 60 meters wider than that and still have plenty of room in the slot for a Cobra to squeak by on the side while flying sideways.

For anyone interested in actual ship dimensions:
http://www.elite-dangerous-blog.co.uk/Blog/2016/2/19/elite-ship-sizes-to-scale-for-all-ships-post-horizons-launch

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

Both the Panther Clipper and the Beluga Liner look nice and make me wish they were already in the game. Especially the Beluga Liner. :sigh:
Maybe they're just waiting until passenger missions are ready.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

AFAIK selling stolen mission slaves to Robigo still works.

So... uh.

I have no idea where to ask this, so I might as well ask here, maybe someone came fiddled with this before. My throttle has two detents on it. AFAIK, they can be moved around if I take the thing apart with a screwdriver, but I'd rather leave that as a last resort.

What I want to achieve is have the ship on full reverse when throttle is at 0, stopped on the first detent, blue zone forward on the 2nd and full throttle at 100. Is there any way to achieve this in elite itself that I'm not seeing? If not, does anyone have a solution to this? I found some joystick curves thing on the webs but while it's very nice it only works correctly for -50 - +50 axis (i.e. pitch/roll) axis and not for 0-100 ones, because it modifies both extremes of an axis.

e: Of course after I ask this I find out moving the deadzone of the throttle in control panel also moves the "center". Good enough for now.

What kind of joystick do you have?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Phi230 posted:

What kind of joystick do you have?

It's a saitek x-65

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

So I know I'm one of the most zealous posters about how We Do Not Buy Saitek, but, uh... http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x56.html

Right now I think a T-16000M and a CH throttle is the best thing for elite, but I can personally testify to how it sucks to not have trim dials in an atmospheric flight sim like War Thunder or DCS. A hotas that can do both space sims and flight sims sounds really nice :ohdear:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

What they should have done:
- Remove the pointless LEDs
- Reshape the stick for better ergonomics
- Add a two stage trigger and CMS hat like the Warthog
- Replace the lovely mini-stick on the throttle with a good one

What they actually did:
- Doubled down on the pointless LEDs
- Put another, probably still lovely, mini-stick on the joystick (what is this even supposed to be used for?)
- It's blue now

Mad Catz, you god drat idiots.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The mini stick on the x55 (and x52s) are lovely mouse widgets. They have zero sensitivity, and almost no travel. Edit: actually I'm wrong. What they have is too much travel, and they only register movement after you've hit the limit.

If the mini stick on this new one is actually a mini stick like on a CH throttle, then that's actually pretty loving sweet. It enables analogue control of directional thrusters.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
For the love of all that is holy do not preorder that Saitek stick.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

No danger of that, I already returned three faulty x55s. Like the man said: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me three times, go gently caress yourself.

I'm just saying, mini sticks are sweet!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

tooterfish posted:

If the mini stick on this new one is actually a mini stick like on a CH throttle, then that's actually pretty loving sweet. It enables analogue control of directional thrusters.

I admit I assumed this was the case already. If they put up all this talk about 6dof space games and didn't make one of them a real actual mini stick, I'll travel to wherever they hail from and shove the thing down their stupid throats

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

So I know I'm one of the most zealous posters about how We Do Not Buy Saitek, but, uh... http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x56.html

Right now I think a T-16000M and a CH throttle is the best thing for elite, but I can personally testify to how it sucks to not have trim dials in an atmospheric flight sim like War Thunder or DCS. A hotas that can do both space sims and flight sims sounds really nice :ohdear:

That HOTAS looks disgustingly awful anyway.

If I was planning on replacing my CH stick (I'm not) then I'd wait for the next round of VKB preorders.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

DancingShade posted:

That HOTAS looks disgustingly awful anyway.

If I was planning on replacing my CH stick (I'm not) then I'd wait for the next round of VKB preorders.

VKB? That's not on my radar, I don't even know what that means

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They're a peripheral/joystick company from the motherland, comrade.

They make this, probably the best budget joystick out there (including the T16000):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsrt_Sc4Seo

They make higher quality joysticks too, on par with the more expensive Thrustmaster stuff. And they're apparently developing a new modular HOTAS, although it doesn't look all that spectacular tbh.

edit: more info.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

tooterfish posted:

They're a peripheral/joystick company from the motherland, comrade.

They make this, probably the best budget joystick out there (including the T16000):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsrt_Sc4Seo

They make higher quality joysticks too, on par with the more expensive Thrustmaster stuff. And they're apparently developing a new modular HOTAS, although it doesn't look all that spectacular tbh.

edit: more info.

Oooooh right, I remember these guys. They make the rad poo poo that's always sold out everywhere

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

As a former owner of an X-52 pro (which I loved but replaced with a HOTAS Warthog) I can personally testify to how lovely those dials are for trimming an aircraft. They don't have nearly enough range or sensitivity and will send you porpoising all over the sky. You get much better results using the hat switch.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

tooterfish posted:

It's wonderful, so wonderful for the directional thrusters. Easily my favorite part of the CH gear when it comes to ED.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I eventually found the mouse joystick in my device manager and disabled the thing because for no reason and at random it would go 'lol your head will look down now until you reboot'

X52 maybe, Pro? I think not.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

My favorite thing about that x56 page is that both Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous are listed twice in the games list.

Gotta be honest it looks pretty sweet from an aesthetic standpoint but that's probably just because I'm a sucker for customizable LED backlighting.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Comments on the X56 from the company on Reddit. If legit then that's cool.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/4cpv6m/saitek_x56_pro/

"every part in the HOTAS has been completely retooled in order to fine tune the tolerances even further."
"the new X-56 has been completely re-engineered from the ground up to address feedback received from the simulation community and incorporates new materials, increased switchgear life cycles and new graphics." ... "Trust me: we're listening"
"We've included a removable hand rest that pushes your hand up further and brings everything more comfortably into reach."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hamelekim posted:

Comments on the X56 from the company on Reddit. If legit then that's cool.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/4cpv6m/saitek_x56_pro/

"every part in the HOTAS has been completely retooled in order to fine tune the tolerances even further."
"the new X-56 has been completely re-engineered from the ground up to address feedback received from the simulation community and incorporates new materials, increased switchgear life cycles and new graphics." ... "Trust me: we're listening"
"We've included a removable hand rest that pushes your hand up further and brings everything more comfortably into reach."

It would be best to reserve judgment until someone buys one and does a teardown review so we can see the internals.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, prudent to wait.

Some youtube "reviewers" in the sim community shilled pretty hard for the x55 when it came out. I remember the words "I like it so much I don't even use my CH products stuff any more", which was obviously complete loving bollocks in hindsight.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Eh, I guess it's fairly subjective. I love my x65 and it's good as gently caress, but yeah, it also has a mini stick, not just the dumb mouse nipple.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The X65 was also from before MadCatz bought them, and in general was a cool as hell stick that was just too weird to live.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
What is the point of LEDs on a stick that's "Ideal for use whilst wearing a HMD"?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

What is the point of LEDs on a stick that's "Ideal for use whilst wearing a HMD"?

Especially when it's already covered in blue accents that can't be changed and will clash horribly with about half the colors you can set those LEDs to. I thought that was a really weird choice

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
It's like putting guns on an exploration ship. You may have space for them, but it's just extra expense.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Heh, truth. I would happily take a discounted version with no LEDs.

Still gonna wait for a teardown before ordering, but the reddit thread does make it sound promising.

Speaking of the X55's stupid mouse nipple... A friend offered to lend me his spare X55 throttle for free, so I'm considering sending my CH throttle back. It's still within amazon's return window, and while it's better than the X55 throttle, I don't know if it's $130 better. Are there any workarounds to get the mouse nipple working like a proper mini stick in Elite? I thought I read something about someone getting it to not totally suck at lateral thrust control

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I thought I read something about someone getting it to not totally suck at lateral thrust control

You need to do some regedit things to disable some other axis to make space for the x and y axes of the mini stick (because most games seem to support only 8 axis and 32 buttons per joystick (except star citizen, don't ask why I know this)). Then you disable the mouse functionality in the pro flight software and it behaves like a normal joystick

I don't have the link to it right now but I'll try to find it in about... 30 minutes.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Truga posted:

You need to do some regedit things to disable some other axis to make space for the x and y axes of the mini stick (because most games seem to support only 8 axis and 32 buttons per joystick (except star citizen, don't ask why I know this)). Then you disable the mouse functionality in the pro flight software and it behaves like a normal joystick

I don't have the link to it right now but I'll try to find it in about... 30 minutes.

My hero :swoon:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, I'm tempted to try to get this game to check it out, but the $60 price tag seems a little steep--I know the base game is $30, but from what I've read it's more expensive than the double pack or something if I wanna upgrade later?

So, is it worth it, or should I wait for a sale?

Edit: And is there a good steam controller config for this? I pretty much use my computer from the couch so I've got a wireless keyboard/trackpad combo that's not the best for gaming.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 1, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

A steam controller is probably your best bet for couch play, because it's the unholy result of a hatefuck between an Xbox controller and kb/m.

As with all titles, expect to loving hate it until you find that perfect layout, at which point you'll wonder why this isn't the only way you play anything (until the next time you have to come up with a layout)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Oh hey, good news - you don't have to unmap any axis on the x-55 for it to work:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2rudl0/xpost_rhotas_how_to_turn_x55_mouse_ministick_into/

e: For anyone on an x52 or x65 wanting to do this:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1060705&postcount=12
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1060211&postcount=1

I *think* the x52-pro uses the same values as the vanilla x52, but I'm not sure. If it doesn't you just have to find what your device ID is in the device manager and edit the .reg appropriately, though. Fairly easy stuff.

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 1, 2016

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I sorta gave up on the idea of using the X52 mouse nub for lateral trusters because it's just not very good at reading angles. It's ok for headlook if you don't try to move in diagonals too much. Analog for thrusters is really nice for precise maneuvering around landing pads but not such a big deal elsewhere I think.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I finally uploaded some old screenshots I made. Since I don't want to spam this thread like mad, I decided to spread them apart a bit. Also I'm posting them on my blog, so if pictures of deep space annoy you, you won't even need to scroll past my post!

The Day of the Clipper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Is there a good entry-level not insanely expensive FAS build out there? Doesn't need to be A ranked, but I would like something with power that's not the Vulture to fly for a bit.

By crazy expensive I mean when you get into the 90mil range.

• Locked thread