Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

N. Senada posted:

The women are misled by media and evil doctors. They should feel shame and be judged harshly but who we really need to get at is the doctors. This is why they're earnest when calling women victims. That'll be the way they frame it as they also support laws to imprison women who have miscarriages because maybe they actually wanted to murder the fetus.

Yet they say the same things about drug addicts while simultaneously supporting incredibly harsh and draconian punishments for them. There's really no consistency to be found here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
It's consistent when you realize that proper childrearing involves beating them into submission.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

beatlegs posted:

What's scarier is they seem pretty jolly about it. "gently caress the Mexicans! Woo hoo! :) " "Nuke the Arabs, haha! :D "

It's super easy to think this way when you've so thoroughly dehumanized the people you're thinking about in your head that they're just a faceless mass of evil. These are people whose brains never matured to a point where black and white morality stories are literally the only way they know to view the world on a wide scale.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Yes, I remember all those sensible moderate Republicans pleading for sanity when their leaders were shouting about birth certificates and death panels and palling around with terrorists 7 years ago. Not.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's super easy to think this way when you've so thoroughly dehumanized the people you're thinking about in your head that they're just a faceless mass of evil.

I do recognize them as human beings, just very terrible ones.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I didn't see Matt Walsh's Facebook post on the last two pages. Someone on my feed thought this was actual logic.

""Matt Walsh's bullshit" posted:

A quick note about the latest Trumproversy (Trump-related controversy) because many readers have asked me about it.
Trump was on MSNBC earlier today and the subject of abortion came up. It's bad news when any subject comes up around Trump because he's a hollow-skulled nincompoop who doesn't know anything, believe anything, or care about anything other than his own pomp and publicity. But it's especially bad news when abortion comes up around him, because he's a pro-abortion Planned Parenthood apologist vaguely pretending to be pro-life, and his random, semi-coherent pronouncements on the issue -- the most crucial issue facing civilized humanity, by the way -- will immediately be painted as representative of the movement as a whole. A movement of which Trump is not a part, has never been a part, and has never done anything in his life to help or advance.
It went about as badly as you'd expect. And because this is Trump we're talking about, it managed at the very end to sink even lower than your lowest expectations. At first, when asked whether the government should criminalize abortion, Trump repeated feminist talking points by mentioning back-alley abortions. Actually, when asked specifically how to ban abortion, which is a question any truly pro-life politician should be able to answer half asleep or in a morphine-induced coma, Trump said this:
"Uh, yeah, well you know, you'll... go back... to a position.. like, they had... where people will... perhaps go to... illegal places, but you have to ban it."
This is a man who has not the slightest clue what he's talking about, as usual.
The anchor was then able to easily back Trump into a corner, forcing Trump to endorse "punishments" for post-abortive women. Within three hours, he changed his position, saying he does not endorse punishments for women, and also saying that his position, which he just changed a moment ago, has not changed. Donald Trump emits lies like flatulent cows emit methane. He lies about everything, constantly, all the time.
But during the 160 minute window when Trump was "in favor" of punishing women who get abortions, his fans on social media, most of whom have spent months insisting that abortion isn't an important issue because immigration is the only issue in the whole universe, suddenly decided they and Trump were not only extremely anti-abortion, but more anti-abortion than every pro-lifer criticizing Trump for his comments.
Naturally, when Trump changed his mind, all of his supporters reverted back to not caring about abortion again. These people are, for the most part, empty vessels just waiting to be filled with whatever arbitrary idea Donald Trump stammered about today. They abandon the idea as soon as Trump does, and the process repeats the next day.
This is one of the many, many, many reasons why Trump will be a terrible nominee. He cannot coherently defend or articulate any conservative position because he doesn't understand or care about any of it. On abortion, he is easily the most incompetent pro-life spokesman the GOP have ever pulled out of the swamp, and that is saying quite a lot.
As far as the "issue" of punishing women who get abortions: it's not an issue. Trump only said it because he's a bumbling, ridiculous con artist who says whatever he thinks a conservative might say in that situation, and then promptly amends or denies what he just said as soon as we conservatives inform him, no, that's not what we'd say.
I've known a lot of very dedicated pro-lifers in my day, and I've never heard a single one of them seriously advocate punishments for post-abortive women. I'm not saying they don't exist, but in my experience, the pro-lifers actually out there working for the cause, investing their time and resources in it, showing up at the clinics and so on, understand that we will not win the fight by talking about punishments for the women.
Here's what I'd do if it were up to me: I'd lock every doctor and Planned Parenthood official in prison on capital murder charges. For the women, I would do what the pro-life movement is already doing and has been doing for decades: minister to them, counsel them, offer them healing and mercy.
It is the abortion industry that discards women and treats them like filth once it gets what it wants from them. Pro-lifers, on the other hand, reach out in love and compassion. Pro-lifers have always been the compassionate ones in this debate. Pro-lifers have always been the ones who care about women. And that fact has been an enormously effective weapon in our favor. An incalculable number of women have come to the cause, perhaps after an abortion or after considering it, when they see that pro-lifers care about them and care about babies, while the clinics care only about their bottom line. Loving the post-abortive women saves lives. It just does. It saves lives. Period. Talking about putting them in jail does not. It's that simple.
Women are victims of abortion, too. Yes, they choose it, but they are still being physically, emotionally, and spiritually damaged by it. The clinics prey on the women. The clinics feed on a woman's fear and ignorance. It's important that we understand this. Not to excuse it -- come on, you know me, I'm the last person to excuse abortion -- but to fully put into perspective just how evil and manipulative is the abortion industry. Let them feel the wrath of justice. They are the dealers and the pimps in this scenario. They need to be punished. The women have already punished themselves, whether they know it or not. All that we can do for them is love them. That's how we protect life and win souls.
If Trump were a real pro-lifer, he'd know that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I didn't see Matt Walsh's Facebook post on the last two pages. Someone on my feed thought this was actual logic.

He's so close. So very, very close. He can see with remarkable clarity many of the problems with Trump and yet almost aggressively refuses to accept that those problems did not just spring into being whole-cloth purely with Trump's presence alone. Nope, the introspection train jumps the logically dictated, one-way track and derails into Crazytown with "Liberal media" and "Trump followers". Just can't get that one last brain cell to fire off a spark and make the connection that Trump's followers are, in fact, THE REPUBLICAN BASE.

The tried and true knee-jerk, Pavlovian response of "It's da libuhrals fault!" just doesn't work anymore when it's your own base you fool. If Trump is "a bumbling, ridiculous con artist who says whatever he thinks a conservative might say", and conservatives are voting in amazing numbers to support that message, then the phone call is coming from inside the house.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm pretty sure Matt Walsh would go on a shooting rampage or a suicide bombing before admitting he was wrong on anything. He's a sad, hateful, spiteful little man. I don't think I've ever seen him express happiness over anything unless it involved pain for someone else.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SumYungGui posted:

He's so close. So very, very close. He can see with remarkable clarity many of the problems with Trump and yet almost aggressively refuses to accept that those problems did not just spring into being whole-cloth purely with Trump's presence alone. Nope, the introspection train jumps the logically dictated, one-way track and derails into Crazytown with "Liberal media" and "Trump followers". Just can't get that one last brain cell to fire off a spark and make the connection that Trump's followers are, in fact, THE REPUBLICAN BASE.

The tried and true knee-jerk, Pavlovian response of "It's da libuhrals fault!" just doesn't work anymore when it's your own base you fool. If Trump is "a bumbling, ridiculous con artist who says whatever he thinks a conservative might say", and conservatives are voting in amazing numbers to support that message, then the phone call is coming from inside the house.

Trump seems to do that to some right wingers. They come so very close to self-awareness, but always pull back at the point where they'd have to admit fault.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

"Trump's followers are being bamboozled by a fake Republican caricature" is the big new establishment argument. He's a liberal imitating a conservative. Only problem is his views are nearly identical to those of mainstream Republicans. He just expresses them in an honest way.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Out of curiosity, are there any other illegal services that you can seek out and not potentially be punished for? Or would abortion be the exception?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is he really an imitation when he perfectly replaces and outperforms the so-called "real" conservative? If it quacks racism like a duck, if it throws disorder like a duck and if it doesn't care about anything but itself like a duck, its a republican duck.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Trump is just saying the horrible things liberals think a conservative would say, but conservatives would never want anything like that!"
*Trump nearly runs the table on the most conservative states in the republic*

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Is he really an imitation when he perfectly replaces and outperforms the so-called "real" conservative? If it quacks racism like a duck, if it throws disorder like a duck and if it doesn't care about anything but itself like a duck, its a republican duck.

He does so without the qualities that kept them "respectable" over the years and let them peddle their terrible platform with a veneer of legitimacy. So he can't possibly be a "real" conservative because he makes them look bad by exposing what they really were underneath rather than the usual stuffed suit they want.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Big McHuge posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any other illegal services that you can seek out and not potentially be punished for? Or would abortion be the exception?

There are plenty of things that are illegal to sell but not illegal to buy.

For example, you can go to jail for practicing medicine without a license but your patients will not.

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy
"... we will not win the fight by talking about punishments for the women. "

As many others have said, Trump is loving up their whole plan just by following their philosophy to its end point.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Geostomp posted:

He does so without the qualities that kept them "respectable" over the years and let them peddle their terrible platform with a veneer of legitimacy. So he can't possibly be a "real" conservative because he makes them look bad by exposing what they really were underneath rather than the usual stuffed suit they want.

Did those qualities matter until the Trump model came along and steam rolled them? Because we still apparently see the likes of Son of Mailman claim that he is the "nice one" between a zodiac killer and Trump, all the while the not trump secretly hate and support the designated enemies of conservative white men (LGBT, The Poor, etc.). The only key difference is that he doesn't speak in dog whistles. He says exactly what hate wants to hear in simpleton's English.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

There are plenty of things that are illegal to sell but not illegal to buy.

For example, you can go to jail for practicing medicine without a license but your patients will not.

However if it's "murder" that both parties are colluding to commit it's a different ballgame.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

beatlegs posted:

However if it's "murder" that both parties are colluding to commit it's a different ballgame.

It'd certainly be possible to just make abortion an illegal service without defining it legally as murder (even if you call it that rhetorically) if you actually only wanted to jail abortion doctors and not patients.

Of course, then the question is what happens to a woman who self-induces an abortion, sure you could conceivably write a law carefully enough to protect a woman in this situation, but of course the laws won't be carefully written at all, and women will be indicted on charges of attempted murder or aggravated assault.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Did those qualities matter until the Trump model came along and steam rolled them? Because we still apparently see the likes of Son of Mailman claim that he is the "nice one" between a zodiac killer and Trump, all the while the not trump secretly hate and support the designated enemies of conservative white men (LGBT, The Poor, etc.). The only key difference is that he doesn't speak in dog whistles. He says exactly what hate wants to hear in simpleton's English.

I'm not entirely sure what all that means.

Dog whistles are important. They allow you to fire up the base and those in the know without showing your hand to the rest of the country. If your base wants you to stick it to the blacks and gays you can say out loud that is what you promise to do. The rest of the country just won't elect you. That plausible deniability lets you distance yourself from the horrible stuff the base wants and claim anybody reading racism into what you said is the real racist. The people in your base know what you really meant and how your going to govern and no one in the media is going to call you out on it.

Trump is playing the primary game super well because he throws back the curtain and tells the people who hate the mexicans/muslims/blacks exactly what the have wanted to hear from a politician. No filter or political code words needed, just plain old "gently caress those guys".

But the primary is only round one and he is basically unelectable on a national stage. Sure that 30% loving loves him but when you alienate literally every group except racist white men you don't get to be president.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

It'd certainly be possible to just make abortion an illegal service without defining it legally as murder (even if you call it that rhetorically) if you actually only wanted to jail abortion doctors and not patients.
True but I'm not sure Republicans would tolerate going through all the trouble of overturning Roe v Wade only to have abortion classified as anything less than murder. They're killing babies after all.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh yeah obviously they wouldn't. I'm well aware that the pro-life movement is not acting in good faith and they actually want The Handmaid's Tale.

I was just answering a question about whether other illegal services are treated that way or if the way mainstream Republicans say they want abortion to be treated is somehow unique.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's super easy to think this way when you've so thoroughly dehumanized the people you're thinking about in your head that they're just a faceless mass of evil. These are people whose brains never matured to a point where black and white morality stories are literally the only way they know to view the world on a wide scale.

I've always wondered what it would be like to actually believe this kind of stuff - to absorb only right wing media for information about the world, for years on end. And to grow up in a very religious church environment on top of that. I can't really wrap my head around it.

Imagine being one of the many conservatives who believe that America is the greatest country in the history of the planet. Why is America so great? Because of conservatives and christian, conservative values obviously. Because of YOU and people like you. This, by extension, places you as one of the greatest human beings to have ever lived. You also believe that God, the all-powerful creator of the entire universe, has a direct role and interest in your everyday life. You believe that God, along with your dead grandmother or whoever, is on your side, watching over you and looking out for you on a day to day basis. You believe your dead grandmother or other guardian angels protect you from getting killed in a car crash or whatever (I've known people who actually believe that).

Meanwhile, there are hordes of strange people who are enemies of your God. They're not like you at all. They look different and sound different and you can't understand them. The only time you hear about the other countries where they live is when something bad happens on the news. You feel like they are a bunch of savages who can't keep their countries together because they're not good and civilized and christian like you and they don't have God on their side looking out for them. These people are also immigrating into your country, the greatest country on earth, and they're gonna turn it into something like one of the lovely countries they came from. They're coming in here and taking up space and competing with you for jobs. There are too many of them and if only they went away then everything would be great again.

There are countless people who believe this poo poo. There are countless people who don't like to read, never read books, don't know anything about the world, have little knowledge of history, art or science, and don't understand anything about the world outside their own personal bubble. These are the kinds of people who don't like movies with subtitles because "I don't like to read my movies." These are the kinds of people who look at horoscopes and actually believe them. There are surveys that suggest that 1 in 4 Americans believe the sun revolves around the earth. A lot of people still believe in witches even, and that the devil possesses people. And millions of people believe in ghosts.

I can't really wrap my head around what it would be like to actually, literally believe this kind of stuff. The world might seem like a terrifying place, and these kinds of people would certainly be more susceptible to fascist and nationalist movements (like how Trump voters tend to be more poorly educated). Things become simple and easy to understand. Violence is simple and easy to understand. You just eliminate those people you don't like. You don't have to think too much. Child acting up? Just hit them. Problem solved! In a state of war, your neighbor, who you may not have even liked during peacetime, suddenly becomes your comrade. The complexity of the world fades away. You feel powerful and in control, like you have a purpose.

Sometimes I wonder why genocides don't happen more often.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Limbaugh is going on a rant about millenials.

Apparently we were born during the time of "peak" america, we're "selfie" obsessed, "poorly educated" by the liberal establishment, etc.

It''s gonna be a gold mine of this guy getting owned.

quote:

RUSH: Have you seen this photo that this Millennial guy took with the hijacker on board that plane? You know, ever since the advent of social media, Facebook and Twitter -- well, not since the advent, but I guess pretty close to it, those of you who have listened regularly are well aware, I hope you remember, of my considered warnings about the potential problems that could erupt from this.

And at the time, what I noticed was that everybody on these social media websites was just dying to be famous, doing anything they could to be noticed. I thought I knew why, and I was able to analyze why people wanted fame. They see fame presented by entertainment media, for example, and it really looks cool. What is fame, if you watch TMZ, if you watch Entertainment Tonight or the E! Entertainment network, if you read certain entertainment websites, what do you see?

You see a bunch of famous people who are all beautiful living a constant party. They're constantly on yachts, or they are constantly clubbing, or they are constantly on the red carpet. They are constantly getting great things written about them. The men are surrounded by a bevy, always, of scantily clad women who are throwing themselves at them. The women are the epitome of beauty and every woman wishes she would be like those they see portrayed in entertainment media. In entertainment media nobody gets ripped except in the National Enquirer.

But E! Entertainment network, the Entertainment Tonight show, all these networks just do nothing but fawning puff piece stories, and they go out of their way to make these people crucially important. They are important on such things as climate change, like Leonardo DiCaprio, they're important in all kinds of ways. They have it all. Their lives are the epitome of perfection. And so everybody wants to matter in their life, and most people know that they're not anywhere near in the same league as these famous people, but they want a taste of it. And so they go to social media and they take pictures of themselves and they publish them all, and they vomit every bit of personal information about themselves. And they relish having followers because that's as close as they can get to fame, and it becomes something almost like an out-of-body experience.

It's unhealthy, it is abnormal, it's not productive, and the whole truth is very seductive. And I saw this coming decades ago. My fear was that it was going to steer people into the sybaritic pursuits of life and the nonsubstantive, totally zero accomplishment aspects of life, just hedonism, constant sybaritic pursuits, and ultimately people concocting fantasies that they actually in their minds live in each and every day. And things that matter, that really matter, don't register with them. And things that don't really matter at all in life end up taking primacy, superiority as quests, as ambitions.

And it's reached a pinnacle here. An EgyptAir passenger who was among the hostages held during that six-hour hijacking drama convinced this lunatic terrorist, who himself I guess was lovelorn, he had seized the plane, he was holding everybody hostage, he convinced the would-be terrorist to pose for a picture amidst all this. His name was Ben Innes.

He said, "I'm not sure why I did it. I just threw caution to the wind while trying to stay cheerful in the face of adversity," he told the UK Sun. "I figured if his bomb was real, I’d nothing to lose anyway, so took a chance to get a closer look at it." This guy is from Leeds. He is a 26-year-old health and safety auditor. Safety auditor! It means this guy is auditing safety procedures under the auspices of the government at various places.

"He said the plane was on the runway in Cyprus, with hijacker Seif Eldin Mustafa still calling the shots, when 'I got one of the cabin crew to translate for me and asked if I could do a selfie with him. He just shrugged OK, so I stood by him and smiled for the camera while a stewardess did the snap. It has to be the best selfie ever!'" he said. What should we call the Millennials now, the selfie generation? It seems to be overtaking them. It seems to be the primary thing that many of them -- not all, of course -- care about.

I saw the picture, and here's this guy, the terrorist, with the supposed bomb around his waist and his Coke bottle glasses, standing next to this Millennial with his Ralph Lauren Polo shirt, just biggest geek smile you've ever seen, picture being taken on board a plane that has been hijacked. And I thought, this nailed it. This epitomizes every -- I won't call it fear, 'cause my ultimate hope is that young people grow out of this stuff. I'm not gonna become an old fuddy-duddy "get off my lawn" kind of old guy, folks. I always vowed that. But this is not psychological healthy.

Then you look out all over the country and you find out these are the people who think, these Millennials, these are the people who think that the problems that exist in America today have nothing to do with the Democrat Party, nothing to do with liberalism, nothing to do with current Obama administration policy. They sadly think that the country's best days just happen to be behind us now. Their birth happened to coincide with peak America. They are a product of very poor education because that's been dominated by the left wing for generations. And so they're seeking happiness, fulfillment, and meaning in ways that really don't provide any happiness, fulfillment, or meaning. I do hope they grow out of it, but this, to me, is just the epitome of what I was talking about.

And look, you could say, "Rush, they're just kids. They're gonna grow out of it." He's 26. I don't know. When I was 26, it was rather expected that my feet were planted and I'd be going somewhere. I mean, if I wanted to be taken seriously. I'm talking about careers and career paths and this kind of thing. I don't want to be too harsh. I'm not trying to be exhibiting a lack of understanding. My actual fears are rooted in compassion for these people. Because no matter how you slice it, they are, they do represent the future of the country. At some point they are going to become the leaders of whatever it is they happen to be living in, whether it's in their community or in their careers or what have you.

This just epitomized the problem. It's dangerous. Here this guy's got bragging rights: "Look at me, look at me, look at me, notice me, notice me, notice me." I'm telling you it's not healthy. All these people that want fame have no idea of the downsides of it. They never see the downsides. And even when they do see the downsides of it. I'm wrong. They do see the downsides of it. They, like everybody else does, ignore it, "That isn't gonna happen to me." And they really think this is something that's within their grasp.

And it's the same people running around worried the NSA's spying on 'em or some other such thing, and you just want to shake 'em, "Nobody has to spy on you. You are telling everybody who will listen everything there is to know about you." Because if truth be known, you're desperate to be known. You are seeking this fame is though it's in and of itself rewarding. And fame, for no other reason than fame, makes you a Kardashian. Now, if people aspire to that, then they do.

But the fame that results or the notoriety that results from actual achievement and success, believe me, it takes on an entirely different meaning. You treat it in entirely different way when it is not the pursuit, when it hasn't been the objective, when it's just something that happens as a result of achieving something else, it is an entirely different thing.

Rush.

You were a college dropout, a disc jockey and a promotions guy for the kansas city royals before you stumbled upon doing the right wing howard stern schtick.

Your whole career has been "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!"

Holy gently caress. Delusional as hell.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Kenzie posted:

I've always wondered what it would be like to actually believe this kind of stuff - to absorb only right wing media for information about the world, for years on end. And to grow up in a very religious church environment on top of that. I can't really wrap my head around it.

Imagine being one of the many conservatives who believe that America is the greatest country in the history of the planet. Why is America so great? Because of conservatives and christian, conservative values obviously. Because of YOU and people like you. This, by extension, places you as one of the greatest human beings to have ever lived. You also believe that God, the all-powerful creator of the entire universe, has a direct role and interest in your everyday life. You believe that God, along with your dead grandmother or whoever, is on your side, watching over you and looking out for you on a day to day basis. You believe your dead grandmother or other guardian angels protect you from getting killed in a car crash or whatever (I've known people who actually believe that).

Meanwhile, there are hordes of strange people who are enemies of your God. They're not like you at all. They look different and sound different and you can't understand them. The only time you hear about the other countries where they live is when something bad happens on the news. You feel like they are a bunch of savages who can't keep their countries together because they're not good and civilized and christian like you and they don't have God on their side looking out for them. These people are also immigrating into your country, the greatest country on earth, and they're gonna turn it into something like one of the lovely countries they came from. They're coming in here and taking up space and competing with you for jobs. There are too many of them and if only they went away then everything would be great again.

There are countless people who believe this poo poo. There are countless people who don't like to read, never read books, don't know anything about the world, have little knowledge of history, art or science, and don't understand anything about the world outside their own personal bubble. These are the kinds of people who don't like movies with subtitles because "I don't like to read my movies." These are the kinds of people who look at horoscopes and actually believe them. There are surveys that suggest that 1 in 4 Americans believe the sun revolves around the earth. A lot of people still believe in witches even, and that the devil possesses people. And millions of people believe in ghosts.

I can't really wrap my head around what it would be like to actually, literally believe this kind of stuff. The world might seem like a terrifying place, and these kinds of people would certainly be more susceptible to fascist and nationalist movements (like how Trump voters tend to be more poorly educated). Things become simple and easy to understand. Violence is simple and easy to understand. You just eliminate those people you don't like. You don't have to think too much. Child acting up? Just hit them. Problem solved! In a state of war, your neighbor, who you may not have even liked during peacetime, suddenly becomes your comrade. The complexity of the world fades away. You feel powerful and in control, like you have a purpose.

Sometimes I wonder why genocides don't happen more often.

It's not at all hard to understand their thought process, it's just falling into childish simplicity. The real question is how someone goes through their entire lives rejecting everything that might imply more complexity to the world to the point that they cannot imagine that they could possibly be wrong. I guess that's why some of the worst gravitate towards dogma: it offers them ultimate security in an authority that agrees with them completely so they can keep on rejecting any dissent, but now as heresey rather than disagreement.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySkinner posted:

Rush.

You were a college dropout, a disc jockey and a promotions guy for the kansas city royals before you stumbled upon doing the right wing howard stern schtick.

Your whole career has been "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!"

Holy gently caress. Delusional as hell.

Talent on loan from... God?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I decided to go to Pro-life site, Life Site News, to see how commenters feel about what Trump said

Good news Trump, they agree

quote:

If the life of preborn/unborn babies are to be valued EQUALLY with born babies, then why would the punishment differ? Would not doing so be a tacit admission that the preborn are LESS VALUABLE? And does that not undercut the entire pro-life argument?

quote:

Glad to see some common sense and decency in the combox. This article along with nearly every other well known pro life voice is WRONG. Women who kill their children deserve some sort of punishment under our laws, even if they are also victims.

Being a victim doesn't entitle anyone to murder another human being, especially her own child.

Maybe if the Prolife movement treated abortion like actual murder we'd make more peogress banning abortion.

quote:

I am pro-life and have been active in the movement for three years. Logic and reason require that EVERYONE participating in an abortion should be prosecuted.

quote:

Why is punishment for killing a child not a logical step? If someone kills me I hope he or she is punished. Crimes against humanity deserve punishment. Perhaps the pro-live movemt needs to get its head on straight and call a spade a spade.

quote:

The author of the article is on the wrong side of this issue. Trump's first impressions of abortion are correct. Women who get abortions are guilty. They are guilty of murder. They know it, I know it and God knows it. They literally kill their own child and for what? I am starting to see that Trumps first instincts are my own and I can't even trust supposed "pro-lifers" to follow what is obvious. Abortion is murder. It is infanticide, it is infanticide by the mother. When Abortion is illegal the mother who asked for it has culpability. Anything else is just a simple lie. Oh... I am sorry, not a simple lie but a total lie. To say the mother has no culpability is to align yourself with the people who want to murder babies in the first place.

quote:

Whatever the amount someone gets for putting a hit out on a child would be a adequate punishment.

quote:

America will NEVER criminalize abortion! Women and abortionists will pay for their crimes directly to God in the afterlife!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Of course they do, what Trump said(and in general just about everything he says) is the logical conclusion of the Policies the Right wants to implement.

If you make Abortions illegal then yes, having an abortion would be something that can be punished by the law.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Kenzie posted:

As someone who lived it, then left it, it's less different than you might think. Those People are not really something you have to live with; they're over There. The rhetoric is almost like discussing what a quarterback should have done that last game; it'd be great if the world listened and obeyed and showed you right, but typically it just doesn't happen. You get your reward in the next life, anyway, so keep playing out the charade in this one.

Leaving this bubble is weird as heck, though. Until they adjust, people you were around think of you like... you've just read the Necronomicon and are spreading the good word of Nyarlathotep. It's weird and alien and unbelievable to them but to you this new sanity makes sense.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

Of course they do, what Trump said(and in general just about everything he says) is the logical conclusion of the Policies the Right wants to implement.

If you make Abortions illegal then yes, having an abortion would be something that can be punished by the law.

...as premeditated murder.

This would likely include abortifacient drugs, which would undoubtedly be outlawed.

Welcome to the state of arbitrary religious opinion and compulsory subservience to the will of a God you likely don't even recognize even if you do identify as Christian.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The idea of Republicans disagreeing with Trump's comments is absolutely absurd and it's disgraceful we are letting them try and hide the fact that they are as monstrous as he is. We are currently prosecuting women who had miscarriages; this isn't a theoretical situation, it's the current reality we can see with our own eyes. Do we honestly have to pretend that the end game isn't making abortion illegal nationwide and then punishing women that take extreme measures since it's impolite to point it out???

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
^^ poo poo. I had heard of other nations that have made abortion illegal that have prosecuted women having miscarriages, because people thought they were having an abortion. Is that really happening here?

I remember that video of when someone went to a pro-life rally, and asked the people there "Okay, so you want to make abortion illegal, meaning that someone should be punished if they get one. What should the punishment be?" and there was a lot of hand-wringing and essentially everyone said "I'll pray for the mother!" because no one has logically thought what the next step would be after making it illegal.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Radish posted:

The idea of Republicans disagreeing with Trump's comments is absolutely absurd and it's disgraceful we are letting them try and hide the fact that they are as monstrous as he is. We are currently prosecuting women who had miscarriages; this isn't a theoretical situation, it's the current reality we can see with our own eyes. Do we honestly have to pretend that the end game isn't making abortion illegal nationwide and then punishing women that take extreme measures since it's impolite to point it out???

Welcome to the last seven years. Republicans can say or do whatever they want and still get treated as a respectable party. Nobody wants to come off as extremist for denouncing them, no matter how irrational or self-contradictory they get. Nobody wants to admit that one of America's political parties has gone completely off the deep end and screwed our whole system over.

seiferguy posted:

^^ poo poo. I had heard of other nations that have made abortion illegal that have prosecuted women having miscarriages, because people thought they were having an abortion. Is that really happening here?

I remember that video of when someone went to a pro-life rally, and asked the people there "Okay, so you want to make abortion illegal, meaning that someone should be punished if they get one. What should the punishment be?" and there was a lot of hand-wringing and essentially everyone said "I'll pray for the mother!" because no one has logically thought what the next step would be after making it illegal.

That seems to be the case with so many of these moral panics. People rant and rage about how sinful society is, but never stop to think for a second on exactly what "fixing it" would mean.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pretty much. I think your average pro-life person thinks that making it illegal will just stop it from happening entirely (since there is no access) and hasn't thought about what it would be like if it was actually a crime. Politicians however know exactly what this will result in and push it which is why their distancing from Trump's comments are so loathsome.

Geostomp posted:

Welcome to the last seven years. Republicans can say or do whatever they want and still get treated as a respectable party. Nobody wants to come off as extremist for denouncing them, no matter how irrational or self-contradictory they get. Nobody wants to admit that one of America's political parties has gone completely off the deep end and screwed our whole system over.

I'm darkly curious how far it can go since we are at the point where torture is a great tool for protection, beating up not violent protesters is virtuous, rampant xenophobia is being debated Seriously, and attacks on women are being justified. Will it actually take one going full Nazi or is that even not enough to get Serious people to think maybe this is a problem. You see comedians like Bee and Oliver talking about it but your average news outlet is still too terrified (or actively complicit) to point out that things are getting out of control. It takes a large voice to make a difference and a few isolated people speaking the truth to an audience that already understands isn't enough.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 31, 2016

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Matt Walsh posted:

he's a hollow-skulled nincompoop who doesn't know anything, believe anything, or care about anything other than his own pomp and publicity.
growing_ironicat.gif

Matt Walsh posted:

But it's especially bad news when abortion comes up around him, because he's a pro-abortion Planned Parenthood apologist vaguely pretending to be pro-life, and his random, semi-coherent pronouncements on the issue
"He let the cat out of the bag on what we really want, therefore he is actually The Other."

NPR had some anti-abortion woman on this morning who was trying to frame abortion as the ultimate anti-feminist act. If it was illegal, they couldn't be forced to do it by evil men :rolleyes:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Geostomp posted:

Obama has literally done this, like in the not too distant past either. It turns out "calling out" a political party actually does jack poo poo, no matter how much you want your fantasy of them crumbling into goo might be.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

seiferguy posted:

http://www.democracynow.org/2015/4/2/20_years_in_prison_for_miscarrying (April 2nd, 2015)

Strangely, I can't predict the result of this. I feel like my better side would be gravely underestimating the number of people who would agree or incline to agree with such an extreme position.

It makes some degree of sense, when you think about it. The right wing has been resolutely defeated on the terms of Affordable Care and Gay Marriage. They've lost so much ground on a lot of culture war issues that they're hammering hard on the ones they still have left with any degree of support. Problem is, for them, how hard is too hard?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
CNN had a "story" in the crawl yesterday that I'm sure will be turning up in this thread soon:

"Obamacare costs up due to influx of high-cost patients, including those with AIDS, Hep C, Diabetes, and Depression"

Hmm, wonder why they picked those particular diseases. Of course the costs on treating those are expensive - everything is expensive, but those diseases are likely to be seen by certain people as "punitive" or "lifestyle" diseases. Forgetting the fact that these people are now actually getting real life help for their problems, I'm sure the spin will be negative about Obamacare from the Right (surprise!)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's why publicly they are stressing shutting down clinics is about safety and they are not making it technically illegal. It's both to get around Roe vs Wade but also so that people don't have to think too hard about women having to prove that their miscarriages were natural and not because they aborted their pregnancies intentionally at the threat of jail time or some other monstrous scenario until it's too late and the damage has been done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It doesn't matter how much calling out a president or media does, there will always be the hardliners that watch Fox News or read The Blaze and nod their head in agreement as they do.

I will say I am getting tired of normal news media (i.e. your local news channels) posting stuff on social media saying "Donald Trump thinks women should be punished for having abortions! Do you agree or disagree with him?" as if they're trying to grow a community or something.