Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Radish posted:

It's why publicly they are stressing shutting down clinics is about safety and they are not making it technically illegal. It's both to get around Roe vs Wade but also so that people don't have to think too hard about women having to prove that their miscarriages were natural and not because they aborted their pregnancies intentionally at the threat of jail time or some other monstrous scenario until it's too late and the damage has been done.

I've heard the phrase "The Criminalization of Pregnancy" come up in some progressive outlets to try and describe this, but it hasn't really stuck. In trying to forbid abortion in the way they are, they're achieving the same effect of making abortion mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Faustian Bargain posted:

NPR had some anti-abortion woman on this morning who was trying to frame abortion as the ultimate anti-feminist act. If it was illegal, they couldn't be forced to do it by evil men :rolleyes:

That was incredible, even more so because of the bizzaro universe she constructed to house her worldview where doctors just want so badly to perform abortions, so we have to make them illegal so that the can't push women into having them.

Like abortions are just doctor heroin.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

See the problem is that kids aren't following their abstinence only education and they're having babies which are totally blessings from God.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

seiferguy posted:

It doesn't matter how much calling out a president or media does, there will always be the hardliners that watch Fox News or read The Blaze and nod their head in agreement as they do.

I will say I am getting tired of normal news media (i.e. your local news channels) posting stuff on social media saying "Donald Trump thinks women should be punished for having abortions! Do you agree or disagree with him?" as if they're trying to grow a community or something.

That's what I mean. Rupert Mudoch's personal empire will always say what they want, democrats will always be seen as having some agenda, but when supposedly neutral news media are still granting nonsense like the Birthers or Trump-esque rants legitimacy by pretending they are to be debated, that gets me.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

That's what I mean. Rupert Mudoch's personal empire will always say what they want, democrats will always be seen as having some agenda, but when supposedly neutral news media are still granting nonsense like the Birthers or Trump-esque rants legitimacy by pretending they are to be debated, that gets me.

They get to say that poo poo because real people exist who want to consume the product they offer.

Real people support Donald loving Trump. Misanthropy is the only emotion I have left.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Geostomp posted:

Obviously sites like Breitbart, Freep etc. have every right to exist under the 1st amendment, and most aren't directly calling for direct threats for people, just veiled dog whistles. Saying Obama was born in Kenya isn't necessarily a threat, just a dumb wrong statement. Hate speech isn't well defined, because technically saying "I want all <minority> dead!" isn't considered hate speech legally, but "I want <minority> who lives at <address> dead" is because it's more pointed.

Neutral news site reporters probably hate having to pander to both sides. Well, some of them at least.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
The only way the Republican Party collapses is if they choose to do so. Since the 70s it seems the party always "dies" and rebounds hard. There is no amount of media attention that will ever break their spell, if anything it will make their base believe in the party line even more. People in general are not likely to switch parties from where their parents were. People in general are very low information, and just know they vote for "the party". How do you even begin to fix that? There would have to be a gigantic shift in the entire nation consciousness to get rid of the GOP and that simply isn't going to happen. This is just another bumpy ride on the freedom train.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Vargatron posted:

See the problem is that kids aren't following their abstinence only education and they're having babies which are totally blessings from God.

It funny that this is satirical but I know several couples who have unplanned / unwanted pregnancies and their families refused to describe them as anything other than "A blessing from God."

I've seen the issue literally tear families apart because the Daughter has to deal with the grief and stress of the pregnancy and all the additional bullshit, and then hear from their family constantly that this is actually "A Good Thing" and they are just being selfish.

Some people are hosed up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CortezFantastic posted:

The only way the Republican Party collapses is if they choose to do so. Since the 70s it seems the party always "dies" and rebounds hard.

Between 1974 and 2008 Democrats controlled the White House for 12 years. And for 6 of those years, Republicans controlled Congress.

If you think at any point the party died, that's on you.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'd say choosing Donald Trump in full idiot dictator mode is a form of choosing to kill their party. They might rebound but the best case there is the status quo, which is exactly what created trump and two non functioning legislative majorities.

The first rebound from Obama was the tea party. Lot of good that did them.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Keeshhound posted:

That was incredible, even more so because of the bizzaro universe she constructed to house her worldview where doctors just want so badly to perform abortions, so we have to make them illegal so that the can't push women into having them.

Like abortions are just doctor heroin.

To these people, the only possible reason one could have for getting an abortion is that they just hate babies and enjoy killing them. Remember, when the president of NARAL got pregnant not too long ago, pro-lifers were absolutely convinced that she had to be faking it. In their minds, it was an inherent contradiction.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

computer parts posted:

Between 1974 and 2008 Democrats controlled the White House for 12 years. And for 6 of those years, Republicans controlled Congress.

I don't? That was the entire point. They go through huge scandals and people cry the sky is falling, but they always come back from it. I mean you can push to back to Goldwater and see that. People saying the GOP is done after this election are kidding themselves. The party isn't over unless they themselves decide to tank it, for power or otherwise.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CortezFantastic posted:

I don't? That was the entire point. They go through huge scandals and people cry the sky is falling, but they always come back from it. I mean you can push to back to Goldwater and see that. People saying the GOP is done after this election are kidding themselves. The party isn't over unless they themselves decide to tank it, for power or otherwise.

Your thesis is "short term predictions are not accurate". This is true. What's not true is extrapolating the failure of short term predictions into a failure of prediction in general.

In other words, just because people said something and it didn't happen yet doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

OxySnake posted:

It funny that this is satirical but I know several couples who have unplanned / unwanted pregnancies and their families refused to describe them as anything other than "A blessing from God."

I've seen the issue literally tear families apart because the Daughter has to deal with the grief and stress of the pregnancy and all the additional bullshit, and then hear from their family constantly that this is actually "A Good Thing" and they are just being selfish.

Some people are hosed up.

OTOH, I know a girl who got knocked up in college and the guy was a douchebag loser. She kept it and loves her daughter to death. She made poo poo work. That douchebag loser and his parents tried like hell to get join custody of that girl after she was ~3-4 and super adorable. The nightmare for her wasn't having a kid, it was having to deal with a jackass.

As a parent, I feel like it's important to tell people who aren't parents... having kids isn't the end of the goddamn world. The bullshit of abstinence education is a double edged sword, as it convinces droves of people that having kids is horrible and if you have one, your life will be over.

Point is, have an abortion if you want one, or don't if you want, who cares? That is the only correct viewpoint.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

computer parts posted:

I've been nursing a pet belief that if it wasn't for Watergate the Democratic party wouldn't have made it to the 80's.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

seiferguy posted:

It doesn't matter how much calling out a president or media does, there will always be the hardliners that watch Fox News or read The Blaze and nod their head in agreement as they do.

I will say I am getting tired of normal news media (i.e. your local news channels) posting stuff on social media saying "Donald Trump thinks women should be punished for having abortions! Do you agree or disagree with him? Would you like to know more?" as if they're trying to grow a community or something.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Faustian Bargain posted:

growing_ironicat.gif

"He let the cat out of the bag on what we really want, therefore he is actually The Other."

NPR had some anti-abortion woman on this morning who was trying to frame abortion as the ultimate anti-feminist act. If it was illegal, they couldn't be forced to do it by evil men :rolleyes:

Now now, you're not being fair.

Matt Walsh has neither pomp nor publicity.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

Are there people who believe Iran isn't trying to get nuclear weapons?
Iran can scare the west with phantom nuclear weapons which don't exist, so why waste money when the same effect is achieved? I'm convinced Iran is basically trolling US and Israeli politicians with pantomime.

Watermelon City fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 31, 2016

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

beatlegs posted:

I do recognize them as human beings, just very terrible ones.

I was talking about the way trump supporters think, not the way you think about them. Clearly trump supporters aren't human

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I actually had a long conversation with several women about the ethics and morality from the point of a woman and learned a good bit about their perspective. In my mind I think the man should have a say in the decision to abort the baby, with the justification being I would have emotional attachment if I was in that situation. From the perspective of the women I spoke to, that was a little unfair because ultimately they are the ones who have to carry the baby and go through childbirth. I still would like a say in the decision, but ultimately the woman is the one who has the right to have the final decision. I can definitely understand their position.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Taerkar posted:

I've been nursing a pet belief that if it wasn't for Watergate the Democratic party wouldn't have made it to the 80's.

The Democrats in the 70s were acting very similarly to the Republicans today. Their existing base was fracturing and rebelling and all they could do was say how much like [Great President] they were, like they had for the past 30 years (in this case, FDR).

The difference is that it's not really that clear who the GOP will pick up. Perhaps, if the US does become minority-majority, they will double down on the white nationalism and create a Party of Whites (GOP) and a Party of non-whites (Dems). Though that will require a very large shift in rhetoric, to the extent that even "liberal" whites will support them.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

The difference is that it's not really that clear who the GOP will pick up. Perhaps, if the US does become minority-majority, they will double down on the white nationalism and create a Party of Whites (GOP) and a Party of non-whites (Dems). Though that will require a very large shift in rhetoric, to the extent that even "liberal" whites will support them.

Short of them replacing their entire caucus with some sort of Eisenhower clone and the Democrats running some guy who promises vote for me = whitey literally to the camps, I can't see myself ever pulling the lever for the GOP. I'd rather beat up on the business suck-ups in my own party and build on the growing minority/white progressive coalition that we have going here.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

beatlegs posted:

Republicans on TV are saying Trump's comment about punishing women who get abortions is unacceptable. Excuse me but if you outlaw abortion - which the mainstream GOP has been trying to do for years - and a woman gets an abortion, wouldn't that be "illegal" and make her subject to punishment?

e: the press is shocked, SHOCKED that he would say such a thing when it's been part of the GOP's platform for years. I'm so sick of this bullshit.

No, because women are non-human cattle meant for producing more men, and are thus blameless in the act of an abortion. Their feeble minds are easily tricked into it by the abortionists. They are the ones who should be punished for damaging men's property.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vargatron posted:

I actually had a long conversation with several women about the ethics and morality from the point of a woman and learned a good bit about their perspective. In my mind I think the man should have a say in the decision to abort the baby, with the justification being I would have emotional attachment if I was in that situation. From the perspective of the women I spoke to, that was a little unfair because ultimately they are the ones who have to carry the baby and go through childbirth. I still would like a say in the decision, but ultimately the woman is the one who has the right to have the final decision. I can definitely understand their position.

A man should have the right to express his feelings on the topic but the decision on keeping the child should alway rests with the mother.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Watermelon City posted:

Iran can scare the west with phantom nuclear weapons which don't exist, so why waste money when the same effect is achieved? I'm convinced Iran is basically trolling US and Israeli politicians with pantomime.

Pardon my ignorance but isn't that partially what did Iraq in? I mean wasn't there some level of pantomime on Saddam's part because he needed the boogieman of having chemical weapons. I know he didn't and we had no proof that he did but at least to his potential enemies all he had left was his potential weapons of mass destruction?
Again, not defending the invasion of Iraq. In the end couldn't he have called the west's bluff and said we don't have anything and inspect wherever you want but wasn't he at least somewhat reluctant to keep his capabilities close to his chest? Even if it was just paranoia?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

The Ape of Naples posted:

Pardon my ignorance but isn't that partially what did Iraq in? I mean wasn't there some level of pantomime on Saddam's part because he needed the boogieman of having chemical weapons. I know he didn't and we had no proof that he did but at least to his potential enemies all he had left was his potential weapons of mass destruction?
Again, not defending the invasion of Iraq. In the end couldn't he have called the west's bluff and said we don't have anything and inspect wherever you want but wasn't he at least somewhat reluctant to keep his capabilities close to his chest? Even if it was just paranoia?

This is not accurate. When Saddam and chemical/illegal weapons he actually went for them, for use against local dissidents and Iran. Once he was trounced by the US all through the 90s, and especially after 9/11, they dropped the whole WMD thing like a hot coal, because they knew it was a death sentence before the international community. They let inspectors in all over the place. Heck, Dubya's 'official' war declaration to the media actually included an aside to tell UN inspectors and personnel to leave the country so bombing could start in earnest.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Indiana prosecuting women for killing their unborn children makes it clear what will happen once abortions are again illegal in the US. Pro-lifers, at least the ones that have the power to make decisions, are absolutely ready to start investigating every miscarriage in order to determine if women are aborting their pregnancies illegally and prosecuting them if they feel the miscarriage wasn't on the level. Look forward to more court cases determined by men if a woman who just had the pain of losing her child has to prove that she didn't have it happen intentionally.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

No but you see God didn't want that pregnancy to happen... wait what?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If God wanted that embryo to survive he would have saved it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

As an added bonus of course there will be a few clinics allowed to keep up service so that the affluent people who are behind this still have access while the poor are criminalized for yet another thing in this god forsaken country.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Dexo posted:

If God wanted that embryo to survive he would have saved it.

You can apply this great logic too so many other things to piss people off who would otherwise believe it:

"If God wanted Ronmey/Trump to be President, he would have saved his campaign."

"If God wanted that 'religious freedom' bill passed he would have stepped in."

"If God wanted the double chicken gordita to stay on the menu forever..."

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Something that really bothers me is when someone who survives a catastrophe says "God was looking down on me", suggesting the people who didn't make it weren't worthy of God's attention. it must make the grieving relatives feel wonderful to hear that.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sephyr posted:

This is not accurate. When Saddam and chemical/illegal weapons he actually went for them, for use against local dissidents and Iran. Once he was trounced by the US all through the 90s, and especially after 9/11, they dropped the whole WMD thing like a hot coal, because they knew it was a death sentence before the international community. They let inspectors in all over the place. Heck, Dubya's 'official' war declaration to the media actually included an aside to tell UN inspectors and personnel to leave the country so bombing could start in earnest.

Fair enough. I misremembered. I thought there was a while at least where he played coy with inspections. And not so much because he still had chemical weapons but because he wanted to keep they mystique that he still had them. He was a fairly paranoid man.

In the end I'm not happy anyone has nuclear weapons and I don't want Iran to have them just for the arms race that would happen in the ME. But at least during the 8 year (right) was with Iraq the Ayatollah forbade retaliation with chemical weapons. Now I don't know if that was morality or tactics or politics but in the end I'll give Iran credit for that.

I'm also kinda day drunk so I'm a little foggy on the specifics.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, the RWM sure got their talking points today.

Herman Cain, Rush and Hannity were all parroting the same line today regarding figuring out ways to defend Trumps stupid abortion comments. You see, it was a hypothetical question, therefore a "gotcha" question and a trap by the mean old media.

I think everyone understood it was a hypothetical question being asked of Trump (Should women who have abortions be punished if abortion were outlawed?) but everything I heard today, as usual, blames the media for Trump's terrifying hypothetical answer to a hypothetical question and is framing the controversy around journalistic dishonesty.

I've asked the same question on occasion to pro life people. "What should happen in a punitive sense?" I don't like Chris Matthews much but I think it's a fair question to ask. "What should the punishment be for women or doctors who undertake abortions in the event that it's made illegal?"

But every single talk radio host repeated the word "hypothetical" ad nauseam so I'm pretty confident in assuming they all got their directives.

edit:

Also, shut the gently caress about atheism, God and faith and poo poo unless you can tie it into thread topic and stop deraiing my thread. Thanks.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/715658511963840513

:lol: Walsh is a literal manchild.

And what is this crap about NO TRUE CONSERVATIVE(tm) would ever want to punish a woman for having an abortion? Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't there a case recently where some state (Mississippi, I think?) charged a woman with 20 years of jail time for having a late term abortion or something?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The thing with Trump is that he's saying exactly what a very large number of Republican voters want a candidate to say. He's giving them exactly what they have been wanting but haven't been saying publicly. Now that everybody is seeing just how much spite, rage, and pettiness exist in their platform a great many people are trying to distance themselves from it.

Yep. I caught a whiff of this from my boss today who otherwise is a pretty decent guy and I actually like him as a person but - I've posted it before - you can tell he's caught up in the RWM bubble and gets all his information there. He's also "born again" or whatever and very religious. He's one of those dudes who did some time in jail (3 years) and found Christ.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, the RWM sure got their talking points today.

Herman Cain, Rush and Hannity were all parroting the same line today regarding figuring out ways to defend Trumps stupid abortion comments. You see, it was a hypothetical question, therefore a "gotcha" question and a trap by the mean old media.

Always remember that the term "gotcha question" was coined after Palin was asked the softest of softballs ("What newspapers do you read?")

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I'm hearing the "it was a hypothetical!" argument all over the place now. Like so loving what? Are hypothetical questions asked of presidential candidates unprecedented or something?

The local right wing talk show rear end in a top hat here in Seattle (Dori Monson) excused Trump's comment by blaming it on Matthews' sneaky, wily line of questioning. :rolleyes:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I enjoy the Ben Carson flavored "They didn't give him that question in advance". Thankfully the president is issued Ben Franklins crystal ball so he never has to deal with anything he isn't informed about in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder, POSes also believe "My abortion is the only moral one." BS.

In the old days the rich/powerful either used medical tourism(or bribe local docs) or had their daughter or wife have a "vacation" for 9 months.