Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah there's still about five kilos of "girl car" detritus to shake loose. This one was a total sty.

Two opened bottles of water were under the driver seat. One jammed itself under the pedals while braking hard one day, and that was after we removed the first and thought we got it all out. Extension cord, bic lighter (car hasn't been smoked in as far as I can tell, but it had a poppy plant print on the fuel bottle so maybe she was into casual heroin use, she is a writer after all), gravel, comb, receipts.

I've been removing it as I find it but I need to go through it with a fine nozzled shop vac for sure. Car wash unit didn't have nearly enough jam to deal with this chunky peanut butter spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Who else wants to join in?!

:siren: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/medicine-hat/1984-1st-gen-rx7/1152047177?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true :siren:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Haha, Jesus

We're starting a parts yard aren't we?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I feel like we've all been roped in by this "bachelor party" story so that Tink can just buy more loving RX7s.

:colbert:

Hey guys I'm having a bachelor party in Las Vegas where everyone has to buy cocaine and do it. Hey look at all this cocaine I bought.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How good is the engine?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Just look at that ~*patina*~ :allears:

I'm way too invested in this rad Toyota to shift now, but that one looks like a good candidate.

You guys want me to head to the hat and grab it for spares for you?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Just look at that ~*patina*~ :allears:

I'm way too invested in this rad Toyota to shift now, but that one looks like a good candidate.

You guys want me to head to the hat and grab it for spares for you?

We already have one parts car. Don't need a second. I'm actually still trying to part out the first one.

I'm getting worried I might not be able to get rid of it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I go to the hat regularly is someone wants me to buy it/check it out for them.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Update:

Engine swap is happening tomorrow morning. Vehicle will in my garage by Saturday night. Registration / Insurance is taken care of.
More parts have arrived ( russian dometic market 2" Z flares & miata short shifter).
Tires and wheels acquired - just need to get them mounted and balanced.
Brushed aluminum vinyl has also arrived.

Have call with Asahi Super Dry western Canada distributor regarding merch & vinyl / sponsorship on Monday. Tshirts and beer tap handle shift knob are already confirmed.

Going to be a busy weekend.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Our suspension arrived along with the timing belt kit.

Popping status of this poo poo: Off

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Today was a good day

Sweet Chili Heat now has a running engine in it. Which we immediately tested by driving it 100+km to McTinkerson's house :toot:

I was planning on keeping up with the tweets, etc but my phone is garbage and died

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

Today was a good day

Sweet Chili Heat now has a running engine in it. Which we immediately tested by driving it 100+km to McTinkerson's house :toot:

I was planning on keeping up with the tweets, etc but my phone is garbage and died

Where are the pics drake. Show us evidence.

Also I am old and have no idea how to use twitter. I tried it out last week trying to educate some young lady named Tay about the world outside her basement but then she went offline :saddowns:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Screw twitter, toss it on here and the facebook page. We want pictures :argh:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

We were all focused on getting the car completed rather than documenting the progress via imagery.

I will get pictures of the car today however. In all of its Hiroahima Kazoo glory.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

We were all focused on getting the car completed rather than documenting the progress via imagery.

I will get pictures of the car today however. In all of its Hiroahima Kazoo glory.

Yeah, unfortunately I got caught up trying to get it done so my wife wouldn't murder me for spending all day on the car. Then the phone died and all hope was lost.

Wife status: still in the murder zone

Unfortunately this is all I can contribute from yesterday. First step of engine swapping: remove all possible emissions crap

After removing all emissions crap, put another engine in and start it. Oh, it won't start? Maybe plug in all the wires. :v:

Once it's running, immediately drive it on a major highway and annoy WRX's with your kazoo exhaust.

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 3, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

This image is perfect in every way. HD sticker and all...
:perfect:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh man I am so wiped from today's work. The sun is great but so drat tiring.

Today's goal was to extract the front struts and prepare the housings for POR15. To that end we only needed to make one medium-long trip into town for all the tools and other poo poo we did not have on hand.

In the end, we did struts. The Celica has front inserts so you gotta crank 'em out of the front and reuse the housings (pictured: some cranking of shafts).

She's dead, Jim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edz_N9pMiTA

We gazed into a gaping axle. The hee-haw who did the insurance inspection thought this was shock oil. Wish I could get paid hundreds of dollars an hour in exchange for being that wrong.

We painted the rear wiper arm.

We thrilled to Chinese tires giving us cryptic warnings about them catching on fire from earwax or something.

Current status:
  • The front left is almost completely dismantled. Rotor, caliper, pads, strut, strut bar are gone.
  • Front right is less dismantled, but getting there. Strut, strut bar are gone. Axle already had a torn boot and burst open as we were working.
  • I wouldn't put any money on the tie rod ends being in good shape.
  • Someone should buy me a smiley of a kid giving money to RockAuto

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 4, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Pictures as promised. These are in no way shape or form glamour shots. I just barely has enough daylight left for the first two. (I also seriously need to tweak my Photoshop macro. Colour/white balance is waaaay off on most.)

Anyway, on to the imagery!

This is the only picture I have from the swap. This is the good engine out of the parts car.

The entire car needs a serious detailing. Then it's on to tackling the rust with Coroseal and Noxudol 900. Followed by wrapping the whole thing in brushed aluminium vinyl among other things.

The engine bay needs a proper once over including the engine itself - there a many many dodgy "temporary" vacuum leak fixes just to get the car running enough to drive it back. All stemming from the rats nest removal / Air pump removal. Such as the wheel stud RTV'd into the intake manifold air control valve port.

The keen eyed readers might have noticed a different hood on the car. One that is in worse shape. Sadly the car made an acquaintance with the shop ceiling while on the hoist with the hood up. Carelessness/urgency on both mine and the shop owners behalf. He is trying to source us a FB hood with a T2 hood scoop grafted on as an apology.

The muffler fell off of it's sole shoddy mount on the way back home. It will soon be replaced with the Magnaflow and better mounts. Hopefully that will prevent it from sounding like a very very pissed off Kazoo.

The brakes aren't great but they do stop the car from 120km/h. Will bleed entire system and revisit. Parts car has better looking booster and master cylinder.

The eBay special Russian Domestic Market fender flares fit perfectly. (Once we remove the awful body mouldings.)
We now need to find wheel spacers. Ideally 2.5" wide in 4x110.

Parts not pictured and in our possession: Miata short shifter & rebranded Curt roof basket.
Parts not pictured and in the mail: Delrin engine mounts, Delrin transmission mounts, chrome JDM fender mirrors, NRG neochrome & wood medium dish 350mm steering wheel (we have that Momo hub from the first parts cache purchase).

Total spent on the car all in - that includes tires, safety, everything technically excluded: $900
Parts car value (seriously low-balled): $500. Lining up buyers right now for everything, actually. Transmission is tentatively spoken for, for $200 and the rest for $300.

Edit: Spelling

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 4, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Oh man I am so wiped from today's work. The sun is great but so drat tiring.

Today's goal was to extract the front struts and prepare the housings for POR15. To that end we only needed to make one medium-long trip into town for all the tools and other poo poo we did not have on hand.

Current status:
  • The front left is almost completely dismantled. Rotor, caliper, pads, strut, strut bar are gone.
  • Front right is less dismantled, but getting there. Strut, strut bar are gone. Axle already had a torn boot and burst open as we were working.
  • I wouldn't put any money on the tie rod ends being in good shape.

Turns out I needed metric brake wrenches to work on a Japanese car. Who knew?
Also we needed a ton of disposable cups for paint, new rags, ATF for the power steering, and about 40 cans of spraypaint.

Another set of angles of the whole mess.

Hey guys is there something wrong with this slide bolt?

Plenty of pad left for spirited driving.

Turned my picnic table turned workbench into more of a bloodbath than it already was. These shocks were DEAD, switch has video, it's hilarious.

Cleaned up as best as I could after ssswitch left. Will por-15 later.

Bonus frog friend:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Hellica lookin good

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Cool struts and frog

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Dead strut video as promised:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edz_N9pMiTA

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

HAHAHA, holy poo poo. How did you guys not get motion sick from riding on just your springs?

Good thing safety items are excluded or else you'd be DQ'd with how much differed maintenance this car has needed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

Ask and ye shall receive.

A little late, but i think i remember seeing that car. That's the guy along highway 2 by ponoka with a pile of FDs and broken rear end RX8s in his driveway, right?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

HAHAHA, holy poo poo. How did you guys not get motion sick from riding on just your springs?

Good thing safety items are excluded or else you'd be DQ'd with how much differed maintenance this car has needed.

You should have felt the steering wheel stutter whenever I drove over a bump.

It was awful.

Yeah, all the safety poo poo's pricy but man this things gonna be mint when we're done fixing it up.

Also we agreed on penalty for going over budget, not disqualification :colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
At one point I stomped on the brakes in Forest Lawn (pedestrians are like rabbits up there and nobody was tailgating me, so I made a tactical decision) and the thing turned 30ish degrees right then went into a jack-in-the-box tank slapper as it tried to return all four wheels to the ground.

I wish we had gotten a video of the massive amount of shock oil pouring onto the pool of dried rabbit blood behind the shop.

Also, the video pictures the better of the two front struts. The drivers' side front didn't want to easily extend again once it was depressed.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 4, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Delrin engine and transmission mounts from LRB Speed showed up yesterday.

Fender mirrors decided that it's easier to go through Frankfurt from Thailand to get to my doorstep rather than over the Pacific.

Sold the broken 12A and oil cooler for $300. Delivering / unloading that this Thursday.
Might have the transmission & steering box from the parts car sold for $300.

SSW / Slung Blade, what exact products are you guys using for painting the trim on the Hellica. It looks amazing and the 7 needs the same treatment to all metal trim pieces.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

SSW / Slung Blade, what exact products are you guys using for painting the trim on the Hellica. It looks amazing and the 7 needs the same treatment to all metal trim pieces.

We used the Duplicolor green-label trim paint (I think superceded now by TB100, but Napa will still have the old stuff on the shelves).

Duplicolor adhesion promoter on bare metal and then 2 coats of CP199 Duplicolor self-etching primer (NAPA) on top as a base (Canadian Tire, but it's always hard to find and $$$).

You can probably get away without the self-etching primer if you're going onto steel or plastic, the Civic's wiper arms are aluminum so prep for the trim paint is a bit of a dog.

On the struts we are using POR15, Metal Ready (I think? SB correct me if I am wrong), brake cleaner and a flap disc.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 5, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Delrin engine and transmission mounts from LRB Speed showed up yesterday.

Fender mirrors decided that it's easier to go through Frankfurt from Thailand to get to my doorstep rather than over the Pacific.

Sold the broken 12A and oil cooler for $300. Delivering / unloading that this Thursday.
Might have the transmission & steering box from the parts car sold for $300.

Wooooooooo

Hopefully our net costs on this car will eventually be $0 :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

On the struts we are using POR15, Metal Ready (I think? SB correct me if I am wrong), brake cleaner and a flap disc.

Marine clean after wire cup wheeling. Paint will be por 15 chassis formula.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

First coat's on. (trying not to get paint in between the pinch flanges, poo poo's tight enough on the spindle upright as it is)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I forgot to mention that the spindles are often pretty tight. Don't worry about painting in there, we're going to wire brush the poo poo out of the mating flange on the upright before we reinstall the strut.

It's just rust that's holding it taut. Worst case we splash a thin layer of fluid film in there and it should move around like nobody's business.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah this stuff is like slow curing epoxy though. Unless we let it cure outside the car for a couple of weeks, we'll (or whoever owns it later will) need to burn/hammer through it to get them out again.

I might be able to flow some onto the body without getting the flanges though, or I could mask it.

That steel is really thick there, so whatever happens it's nothing to worry about.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Eh, I think we're fine either way. It's the next person's problem in like 100k from now.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I tried.

Would have been a great way to see the ol' girl off/CARRY IT TO THE GATES OF VALHALLA SHINY AND CHROME etc etc, but it wasn't meant to be. We're officially not in. That said if anyone's looking for a cheap Foxbody with no powertrain and some mild drag prep I know a guy.
Also Switch/Slung whichever of you is most likely to be available on a Tuesday or Wednesday fire me a PM and I'll give you some filters.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Bummer dude, its not too late to find something else.

In other news, I've been sick all week so very little has been done. Until today that is. Drove the 7 to get a fresh tank of gas, added the usual 100:1 2-stroke mix ( I noticed that the OMP control rod from the carb is binding - until that gets fixed, we'll be premixing.) and then give the car a proper Italian tune up / shake down run.

DrakeriderCa summed the experience up perfectly.

DrakeriderCa posted:

we gonna die
:toot:
:tviv:
This car is perfect in that it's terrible and terrifying (-ly awesome). The fuel gauge doesn't go above 1/3, the water temp gauge doesn't work at all. Oil pressure gauge works great though. All the incandescents in the car desperately need to be replaced with LEDs since with the headlights on, the volt meter bounces in sync with the blinkers. The windows don't go down on their own. On a gingerly shifted 1->2 the entire car twists and wants to go sideways. Second gear is ridiculously fun. Clutch works great, brakes will for sure need some looking after. I salvaged the booster & master from the parts car when I grabbed the dead 12A along with the clutch & flywheel and rotor,cap,wires, ignitors.

The dead 12A keg was sold last night for $300 along with the oil cooler. Tomorrow at 0800 sharp, the 7 has an appointment to get the entire exhaust redone with 2.5" piping and the magnaflow previously acquired.
After that, it's stopping at NAPA for vacuum plugs of all sizes and a new oil filter for the change it desperately needs. Then it's sensor diagnostic time. Luckily the parts car came with a FSM.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 9, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh yeah, we still need to fix our power windows :(

Yesterday the RockAuto guy left so many parts at my porch I came home and the neighbour asked me if I was building a whole car from scratch.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Oh yeah, we still need to fix our power windows :(

As do we - both won't move without guidance & assistance.

So this is what $300 buys you:

I called a bunch of places and they were the cheapest in town by at least $100.
The outlet of the header is 2" so with the bends on the 2.5" tubing flow shouldn't be affected.

It sounds incredible. You can't not drive this car in anger now. Really really do need to think about adding some home depot dynamat to the rear as well as sealing the tail light housings. The fumes are quite strong inside the cabin now.

I'll try and get a video up before the end of the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I like that you are prioritizing sound - does it drone at all on the highway?

• Locked thread