Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nalesh posted:

Speaking of not remembering, wasn't barbara already in a wheelchair in origins? most of the plot from that didn't stick with me at all.
No, she was a computer genius kid in Origins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

It just hits just how silly a codename Robin is. Is there a story behind that or did they really struggle to find another animal as cute as bats?
Apparently the character (who was introduced in 1940 and is thus almost as old as Batman) was inspired by Robin Hood, and more specifically by that character's depiction in The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (1883). In particular his original costume is a dead ringer for Howard Pyle's art.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Speaking of not remembering, wasn't barbara already in a wheelchair in origins? most of the plot from that didn't stick with me at all.

Nah, but Origin's timeline is still weird as hell. Apparently Batman has gone through three Robins, a Batgirl, and possibly a Batwoman in the five year period between Origins and Asylum.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

anilEhilated posted:

It just hits just how silly a codename Robin is. Is there a story behind that or did they really struggle to find another animal as cute as bats?

The real-world answer is that Jerry Robinson designed the costume based on a Robin Hood storybook illustrated by N.C. Wyeth and the name came from that. In-universe it's been variously inspired by Robin Hood or by the bird; I'm not sure which is canon now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

Nah, but Origin's timeline is still weird as hell. Apparently Batman has gone through three Robins, a Batgirl, and possibly a Batwoman in the five year period between Origins and Asylum.
Further reinforcing the "he's loving horrible at this" angle.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Omobono posted:

She does :sigh:
Win some, lose some, but I agree, it is pretty :psyduck:

It is weird. The costume is changed to fit the armored aesthetic of Arkham's Bat-verse, but they still leave the uncomfortable foot-wear?

I'd prefer if she used combat boots, ninja shoes, those sneakers with air-pumps...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bruceski posted:

...is this DLC going to end with a fight against an insane Titan-roided 5-year-old girl?

Wouldn't she be a bit older by now? She was five when she "died" and the park project was abandoned. It looks like that was a while ago. From those audio logs it even sounded like Harley wasn't even a notorious criminal yet.

Klaus88 posted:

So now next-generation graphics means that the effort that used to go into boob physics now goes into hair physics when it comes to women characters?

Yes and that's amazing! In the new Tomb Raider there is a special option called Pure Hair which does exactly that. It's quite intensive on the hardware, but Laras hair looks incredibly gorgeous on maximal settings.
That's actually a really pretty and fun game in general and everyone should play it.

The topic of video game hair is weirdly important to me. I found Snakes ugly hair in Phantom Pain kinda irritating.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 30, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015
If Rocksteady makes Arkham Beyond I hope they make it episodic instead of open world. A bunch of focused set pieces like the Batgirl DLC would be great instead of having a giant cluster-gently caress of a narrative with all the villains running around at once like Arkham Knight. Each villain could get their own time to shine instead of having the Joker Jokerjack every single plot.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

White Coke posted:

If Rocksteady makes Arkham Beyond I hope they make it episodic instead of open world. A bunch of focused set pieces like the Batgirl DLC would be great instead of having a giant cluster-gently caress of a narrative with all the villains running around at once like Arkham Knight. Each villain could get their own time to shine instead of having the Joker Jokerjack every single plot.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Cold Cold Heart was really great, and this DLC seems pretty good too. Something like one main villain storyline about as long as Cold Cold Heart, two side villains with short storylines (main game Origins Anarky length), and someone to be the local Riddler equivalent you get to take down for doing all the collections/puzzles/ect would be about perfect length imo.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Nah, purge the collectathons. Or make them give out nothing, not even an achievement. "Well I already found Riddler earlier thanks to Barb's computer magic so I guess all those trophies will just rust now, got places to be, people to punch."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'd like a Riddler that actually gave riddles. And if they were too hard for the player to solve, Batman would automatically handle it for you, ala the Zsasz calls in Arkham City if you don't scan him enough to finish the sidequest.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

Nah, purge the collectathons. Or make them give out nothing, not even an achievement. "Well I already found Riddler earlier thanks to Barb's computer magic so I guess all those trophies will just rust now, got places to be, people to punch."

Nobody's making you do them :colbert:. Anyway, just put fewer in; the game's shorter anyway, and it won't get so stale if there aren't 400-ish of the fuckers to go get.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
No modern open-world game won't have collectathons. They're an easy way to pad out gameplay without actually having to write all that much extra content, and they encourage players to spend more time looking at all those art assets you spent millions of dollars making.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Remember all those times the game told us that Batgirl used escrima sticks? Because this DLC doesn't. Batgirl fights almost identically to Batman, after the differences between playable characters in City, I that Batgirl is pretty much just a skin.

fool_of_sound posted:

There is a line later in the firefighter sidequest that retcons the amount of time between Origins and Knight to ten years.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

B'howdy sure looks like this game is gearing up to take a big ol' Asura's Wrath and have really good fun DLC that kinda really outshines the rest of the game.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Veotax posted:

Remember all those times the game told us that Batgirl used escrima sticks? Because this DLC doesn't. Batgirl fights almost identically to Batman, after the differences between playable characters in City, I that Batgirl is pretty much just a skin.

There is a line later in the firefighter sidequest that retcons the amount of time between Origins and Knight to ten years.

Oracle uses the escrima sticks, not Batgirl.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nope, there are several Arkham Knight Stories that you unlock from Riddler stuff that say that she used escrima sticks while she was Batgirl.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

There is something else about this DLC that people were a little bit miffed about. Namely they wanted a different partner for some interesting character stuff.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I guess if the oil guy was looking after his daughter, he'd be reclusive and be out of the loop knowing about Gotham's criminals. I do wonder if the Joker appeared to him normally when posing as Jack White, or if he put on flesh coloured make-up to hide his skin, like in the 1989 film? That is a rad top hat he has.

I do like how focused this feels, and it seems to exploit the dual combat gimmick in a better way than the main game does.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
Scruffy, are you going to show off the easter egg in this DLC?

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Did anyone else notice the (almost) Batman '89 Joker balloon hovering over the circus tent?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'd like a Riddler that actually gave riddles. And if they were too hard for the player to solve, Batman would automatically handle it for you, ala the Zsasz calls in Arkham City if you don't scan him enough to finish the sidequest.

Yeah I'd like to see how Riddler could be handled as the main villain of a story and not just a collectathon distraction for some other villains plan.

Of course that'd require the Riddler to have some kind of a plan other than trying to kill Batman with fluorescent green death traps. In the Joker comic by Brian Azzarello the Riddler mentions stealing something because it was supposed to be impossible to steal, so there's one direction they could take him in.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

OldMemes posted:

I guess if the oil guy was looking after his daughter, he'd be reclusive and be out of the loop knowing about Gotham's criminals. I do wonder if the Joker appeared to him normally when posing as Jack White, or if he put on flesh coloured make-up to hide his skin, like in the 1989 film? That is a rad top hat he has.

I do like how focused this feels, and it seems to exploit the dual combat gimmick in a better way than the main game does.

Mister Joe Kerr. :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

White Coke posted:

Yeah I'd like to see how Riddler could be handled as the main villain of a story and not just a collectathon distraction for some other villains plan.

Of course that'd require the Riddler to have some kind of a plan other than trying to kill Batman with fluorescent green death traps. In the Joker comic by Brian Azzarello the Riddler mentions stealing something because it was supposed to be impossible to steal, so there's one direction they could take him in.

A game with Riddler as the main villain would be a Layton clone.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Or a Zero Escape game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

White Coke posted:

In the Joker comic by Brian Azzarello the Riddler mentions stealing something because it was supposed to be impossible to steal, so there's one direction they could take him in.

Pair him up with Carmen Sandiego.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Batgirl carries herself with a lot of confidence in the way she's animated; it's kind of refreshing.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You wasted a potential Batlords and Batladies joke and you didn't have Conroy there?! ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Waffleman_ posted:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Skrewtape posted:

Scruffy, are you going to show off the easter egg in this DLC?

I'm not sure what the easter egg is :v: I will fully admit my research on this game still needs some work.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You're close. It's from a poem, The Tyger, by William Blake. Both the episode title and Strange's guards make reference to it. In fact, the end of that episode and a tie-in comic for Arkham City both quote the poem directly.
Fun trivia: that poem also is used throughout the Spider-Man story Kraven's Last Hunt (with Spyder instead of Tyger, obviously). The story had actually been shopped around before becoming a Spider-Man story. One of the previous ideas? Was as a Batman story starring Hugo Strange as the villain.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yep. How she manages to do all those high kicks and cartwheels without falling flat on her rear end is beyond me. Speaking of which, I have no idea what her cartwheel finisher is supposed to be doing. Like, she spins around, then there's a camera cut, then she hits the goon with something and fight over.

But, y'know, gameplay-wise this looks pretty great.
They actually had a issue in Cassandra Cain's Batgirl series where she goes around in Babs' costume and actually falls over because she's not used to fighting in heels. Also Tim gets knocked out because he's distracted by seeing Cass in the original costume (it's probably the first time he thought of her as Batgirl rather than Batgirl, if that makes any sense).

fool_of_sound posted:

Sooo...only one Robin less than the New 52?

Kal-L posted:

It is weird. The costume is changed to fit the armored aesthetic of Arkham's Bat-verse, but they still leave the uncomfortable foot-wear?

I'd prefer if she used combat boots, ninja shoes, those sneakers with air-pumps...
They had her wearing those heeled shoes in Batgirl: Year One...but that's because it was initially a Halloween costume, and she replaced them more or less immediately with practical boots when she decided that she would become Batgirl for real.

Lord_Magmar posted:

There is something else about this DLC that people were a little bit miffed about. Namely they wanted a different partner for some interesting character stuff.
Lemme guess - Dick as Robin?

White Coke posted:

Or borrow from that Batman Adventures comic - where Riddler is 'cured' of his desire to leave clues/prove himself to anybody and goes on a crime spree, only for Batman to track him down via the clues he left subconsciously. At which point Riddler breaks down & decides he needs to go back to Arkham, because he's actually crazy.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yvonmukluk posted:

Lemme guess - Dick as Robin?

Not quite.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
To all concerned: I didn't grab the easter egg on video when I did this DLC. I'll get it in the Riddler Roundup(s).

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

To all concerned: I didn't grab the easter egg on video when I did this DLC. I'll get it in the Riddler Roundup(s).

You... amateur!
that's fine, everything's fine here

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
So when Joker shot Barbara in the back, did he do it just to piss off Batman, to piss off Gordon, to eliminate Batgirl, or a combination of all three? Because it couldn't be hard to narrow down who Batgirl is if you just go by 'who does Batman know who is an incredibly athletic young woman with a mass of red hair?'.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
In The Killing Joke, I think he just wanted to put Gordon through something akin to what he went through. One Bad Day and all that.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
And in the game's story, while it IS just a figment of Batman's imagination, Batman himself apparently believes that the Joker didn't know the connection between the two, which would make enough sense if he only attacked her the once.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Did anyone else notice the (almost) Batman '89 Joker balloon hovering over the circus tent?

Yes, and then I involuntarily quoted the movie.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jack Napier posted:

Bob... You are my... Number one... Guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Lotish posted:

My balloons. Those are my balloons. He stole my balloons!

• Locked thread