Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Is it ok if i asked about a show? It was a reality series contest in a country with an accent which to my 8 year old mind could have been british, australian, or even Scottish. The show was about 4 or so contestants that would have to navigate a whole bunch of traps and obstacles in rooms in a giant waterside castle. Does anyone remember this? It is from the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

OxMan posted:

Is it ok if i asked about a show? It was a reality series contest in a country with an accent which to my 8 year old mind could have been british, australian, or even Scottish. The show was about 4 or so contestants that would have to navigate a whole bunch of traps and obstacles in rooms in a giant waterside castle. Does anyone remember this? It is from the 90s.

Sounds quite like The Crystal Maze. There's a bunch of eps easily found on Youtube if you wanna check

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Cobweb Heart posted:

This is the end of the movie: A tall heavy guy gently plays piano while the room burns around him (he dies). I think he's a murderer or something. He was a really fantastic actor - my mom told me about him - who got typecast as villains as due to his weight/intimidating look, and as a result of trying to lose that weight, he died way too young. This poo poo is on the tip of my tongue but I can only find the various performance art pieces where people set pianos on fire etc.

Schweinhund posted:

it's probably not the guy you're looking for but it reminds me of this guy from the 30s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Wolheim

Hahaha, thank you, it isn't, but it was around that time (no later than... 40s probably) and he had the exact same deal going on as that guy, being a "heavy" that irl was very cool and unlike his characters.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

OxMan posted:

Was it a kids show? In the UK we had Fun House, but there were a few others. How long ago were you 8?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Allyn posted:

Sounds quite like The Crystal Maze. There's a bunch of eps easily found on Youtube if you wanna check

Nope, but the wikipedia article had the proper show linked, Fort Boyard! Thanks for the help!

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

Cobweb Heart posted:

This is the end of the movie: A tall heavy guy gently plays piano while the room burns around him (he dies). I think he's a murderer or something. He was a really fantastic actor - my mom told me about him - who got typecast as villains as due to his weight/intimidating look, and as a result of trying to lose that weight, he died way too young. This poo poo is on the tip of my tongue but I can only find the various performance art pieces where people set pianos on fire etc.

Possibly Rondo Hatton in The Brute Man?

You could also be thinking of Tor Johnson of Ed Wood fame, although he doesn't match with the early death or the piano.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Starblind posted:

Possibly Rondo Hatton in The Brute Man?

You could also be thinking of Tor Johnson of Ed Wood fame, although he doesn't match with the early death or the piano.
Tor Johnson also doesn't quite fit with "really fantastic actor."

cookiefulloarsenic
Oct 30, 2011

Cobweb Heart posted:

Laird Cregar in Hangover Square?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037761/

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Wingo! That's him, thanks a ton! Hangover Square is such a weird film, and his role in it is last he ever did to my knowledge.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Chamale posted:

What movie is this originally from?
Soon to be a feature film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRtwNmjmwdM

That appears to crib a lot from Darkness Falls but I think Sandberg might be able to pull this off.

Smam
Jul 31, 2003
This has been bothering me and my coworkers for days now, no one can pin down what movie this is so maybe the ye olde Internet can help! The description is VERY vague so I'm not expecting anything but I'm dying to figure it out.
It's a movie from the 60s or 70s, in color. It stars a young woman, possibly someone who later became famous but she was a teenager or early 20's back then. There are also two boys, possibly competing love interests? The only setting we can remember is a final scene in a barn where something happens, maybe someone gets killed? And there's a vague memory of a carnival scene. The girl most prominently wears a striped black and white shirt and has thick heavy Twiggy style makeup on.
It may or may not be either a horror movie or a thriller of some kind.

Yeah not much to go on. Any ideas at all?? We're totally stumped.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
It sounds sort of like The Uninvited from 69, but A. IIRC that movie is French, and B. the actors were much older. I don't remember a striped shirt either. Maybe the wrong decades?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Skunkrocker posted:

It sounds sort of like The Uninvited from 69, but A. IIRC that movie is French, and B. the actors were much older. I don't remember a striped shirt either. Maybe the wrong decades?

This reminds me of my grandfather mentioning this movie when I was little (like 10 years old) and one of my favourite NES games was 'Uninvited', and I totally thought that they made a movie of it, or it was based on a movie. I tried looking for that film soooo much, and ended up watching this, which was weird and nothing like it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108445/?ref_=fn_al_tt_8

:smith:

Smam
Jul 31, 2003

Skunkrocker posted:

It may be foreign, possibly, but the actors were definitely young. Late teens to early 20's at the oldest. And if it wasn't the 60s/70s it was at least set in that era because they all had a vaguely mod kind of style

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This was a horror movie where there were kids in a bedroom and I think a floating lipstick or something wrote something on the walls? One of the things was something along the lines of "Christ Thy Savior" and then had the word "Pigs" written under it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

This was a horror movie where there were kids in a bedroom and I think a floating lipstick or something wrote something on the walls? One of the things was something along the lines of "Christ Thy Savior" and then had the word "Pigs" written under it.

That sounds a little like Prince of Darkness

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Opopanax posted:

That sounds a little like Prince of Darkness

That doesn't happen in the movie, though.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The only other vague memories I have are some guy with either a rifle or a shotgun standing near a stairway, and then a shot of some dude and his face is kinda bloody and mangled (Maybe cut across in an X shape?)

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

House or House 2?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Everybody Wants Some is loving excellet, will have to post a link later to the thread I create.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Hopefully someone can help me with this

The scene in the movie takes place in a kitchen, a workplace kitchen.

The main character, a teenage boy is taking to the chef while at the same time having difficult scooping out the seeds from what resembled a pomegranate.

The chef grabs the fruit, slams it on the table, causing all the seeds to remain basically showing the younger guy a more efficient way of getting the centre out.

Any ideas?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

What's that movie where the white Private in the Army is sent to jail for getting his hands tattooed with 8 balls and the Army jail is all black guys?

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

Skunkrocker posted:

What's that movie where the white Private in the Army is sent to jail for getting his hands tattooed with 8 balls and the Army jail is all black guys?

Cadence

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Tsietisin posted:

Hopefully someone can help me with this

The scene in the movie takes place in a kitchen, a workplace kitchen.

The main character, a teenage boy is taking to the chef while at the same time having difficult scooping out the seeds from what resembled a pomegranate.

The chef grabs the fruit, slams it on the table, causing all the seeds to remain basically showing the younger guy a more efficient way of getting the centre out.

Any ideas?

This is killing me because I just saw this in the last sixe months or something. Maybe even way less.

Edit: Just based off of gut and timeliness could it be Burnt, Chef, or Hundred Foot Journey? Burnt sounds more promising maybe.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 3, 2016

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

It isn't Chef

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I'm sure it's an 80's movie of some kind. I must have seen it about 20 years ago.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm not even fully sure if it was a movie or tv show but anyway:

Cops are trying to arrest someone and I'm fairly sure he just got busted out of prison.

They get him out of his prison jumpsuit and give him other clothes to wear.

I think they busted him out of one of those big prison transport trucks that kinda look like the bank transport ones by sticking a magnet on it and lifting it up onto a roof.

The main thing I remember is that they sent someone else as a distraction to run by in a tracksuit or something and he got arrested and interrogated about that.

All of this was happening at night, I'm mostly sure.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not even fully sure if it was a movie or tv show but anyway:

Cops are trying to arrest someone and I'm fairly sure he just got busted out of prison.

They get him out of his prison jumpsuit and give him other clothes to wear.

I think they busted him out of one of those big prison transport trucks that kinda look like the bank transport ones by sticking a magnet on it and lifting it up onto a roof.

The main thing I remember is that they sent someone else as a distraction to run by in a tracksuit or something and he got arrested and interrogated about that.

All of this was happening at night, I'm mostly sure.

This is The Last Stand
http://youtu.be/ryRzxiWudaA

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thanks! I was getting confused because I was sure it was either a movie or an episode of like Agents of Shield but I couldn't remember.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's a documentary I saw on the development of digital cameras for movies. I'm not interested in the documentary itself, but one of the films they mention.

It's one of the first ones shot either all or mostly in digital (they also mentioned Attack of the Clones as another mostly-digital production). I remember the documentary emphasized how low light environments were easier to capture on digital, and used this film as an example. It was set in a city (LA?) of some kind, but I don't really remember much else about it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

computer parts posted:

There's a documentary I saw on the development of digital cameras for movies. I'm not interested in the documentary itself, but one of the films they mention.

It's one of the first ones shot either all or mostly in digital (they also mentioned Attack of the Clones as another mostly-digital production). I remember the documentary emphasized how low light environments were easier to capture on digital, and used this film as an example. It was set in a city (LA?) of some kind, but I don't really remember much else about it.

See if any of the movies on this list sound familiar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_shot_on_digital_video_prior_to_2015

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

computer parts posted:

Probably Collateral (2004), dir Michael Mann

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Or maybe Miami Vice, also by Mann.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

That is definitely Collateral, I saw the same documentary for my intro film class a few years back.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 7, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DeimosRising posted:

Yep, that's it.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm thinking of a children's cartoon movie that I saw on VHS around 1995. I mostly remember once scene, possibly a dream sequence, where a kid is moving around a suburban home and a wave of black liquid rushes down the stairs at him.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Little Nemo!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
A king fu movie with a lot of decent cg for the time, probably early 2000s. Two fighters, possibly swordsmen, are fighting in monsoon rain. As they fight the trails of water from their kicks and swings are sent out like blades towards the other guy. It probably looks like absolute rear end in 2016

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 12, 2016

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

ShineDog posted:

A king fu movie with a lot of decent cg for the time, probably early 2000s. Two fighters, possibly swordsmen, are fighting in monsoon rain. As they fight the trails of water from their kicks and swings are sent out like blades towards the other guy. It probably looks like absolute as in 2016

Hero?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dnUBbV-Q58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

No, id say a bit older and the fight I think is kind of in an isolated temple in some hills or mountains maybe.