Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Finished Ulysses again today, and maybe it's my own personal biases, but I really enjoyed picking up on the medievalness of it. I know it's a minor-ish theme compared to Irishness or Jewishness but it's there, and it's fun tracking it through the book. By the end of it I was swimming in jousts, crusades, dialectic, circles of heaven, knights, mystics and whatever else. Moors and Middle English. Anglo-Saxons and Vikings. Lots of Dante. Not even close to the major themes in the book, still a delight to read through that lens. That's how good that book is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

What side should I be on?

TFF survivor

First we vote out Rice, and then we vote out Marino

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I prefer Umberto Ecos medievalness.
Pop culture semiotics > giant book penis

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

TFF survivor

First we vote out Rice, and then we vote out Marino

Sorry Mel but I've only been watching NFL for long enough to know like a third of the dudes in that thread so I'm gonna stick to the sideliens

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Looking to read The Odyssey for the first time (probably The Iliad and the Aeneid too), what's a good poetic translation? I have the Rieu translation but it's in prose, so that's not exactly what I want.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

thehoodie posted:

Looking to read The Odyssey for the first time (probably The Iliad and the Aeneid too), what's a good poetic translation? I have the Rieu translation but it's in prose, so that's not exactly what I want.

Lattimore's Iliad is stunning, his Odyssey is less good but still absolutely fine, I've heard the FItzgerald is a good Odyssey but haven't read it myself.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I'm reading the Woman in the Dunes by Kobo Abe a man is trapped in a hole in the sand and the sand is annoying him. It might be a metaphor for marriage.
I've only watched the movie (which, like everyone said, you should as well) but from what I remember it was more about higher ambitions and coping with not being able to fulfill them. I also agree with david crosby that The Box Man is interesting as well. Though in my opinion the ending suffers from fizzling out into a breakdown of the narrative like other modern works that play with unstable perspectives (The Republic of Wine comes to mind). I get that this might be the point but it always feels a bit cheap, especially if you compare it to something like at At Swim-Two-Birds. I am sure that if the latter was written today, the characters from the student's book would start invading his reality in the end...
Anyway, if you can stomach that, The Box Man is quite good. Choice quote that I liked enough to write it down (just to lose the note and having to google it): Paralysis of the heart's sense of direction is the box man's chronic complaint.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Besson posted:

The cool thing about Delillo is that if you like his narration you are in for a treat because all of his characters sound like the narrator! Because of this, all the characters lack any sort of presence and all feel the same. This isn't helped by the long back and forths that happen frequently where everyone is on the exact same page on a philosophical/social idea. These can be mistaken for narratorial digression if it weren't for the quotations marks bookending the block of text.

Also every point he tries to make in White Noise is boring and overwrought.

Some of the prose in White Noise is dreadful as well. The ending is particularly bad.:

gently caress you idiot.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

mallamp posted:

I prefer Umberto Ecos medievalness.
Pop culture semiotics > giant book penis

Eco bloody loved Joyce's medievalism
e: like he wrote a book on it.

Jrbg fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 31, 2016

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

true.spoon posted:

I've only watched the movie (which, like everyone said, you should as well) but from what I remember it was more about higher ambitions and coping with not being able to fulfill them. I also agree with david crosby that The Box Man is interesting as well. Though in my opinion the ending suffers from fizzling out into a breakdown of the narrative like other modern works that play with unstable perspectives (The Republic of Wine comes to mind). I get that this might be the point but it always feels a bit cheap, especially if you compare it to something like at At Swim-Two-Birds. I am sure that if the latter was written today, the characters from the student's book would start invading his reality in the end...
Anyway, if you can stomach that, The Box Man is quite good. Choice quote that I liked enough to write it down (just to lose the note and having to google it): Paralysis of the heart's sense of direction is the box man's chronic complaint.

I've got Ark Sakura and The Box Man here cos I downloaded a lot of surreal/absurd books and now I'm trying to work my way through them so I will probably read those at some point cos Woman in the Dunes is Japanese Sand Kafka and that is a good thing. At Swim Two Birds ends really well not just in terms of the ending being a really good ending to a book but the last sentence is also just a great sentence in and of itself goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

CestMoi posted:

Japanese Sand Kafka

You have my attention

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
n/m, moving this to the recommendations thread...

tonytheshoes fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 31, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When I first read it I knew The Ark Sakura would be a good book because within the first chapter it talks about a bug that lives by sitting in the same spot all day and slowly spinning around, eating its own feces

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I just finished the third Ferrante book and my copy of A Little Life just came off hold at the library, so I fully expect to be all out of tears by this weekend.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
i thought i'd love the wmoan in dunes, but then i read it and was like, eh, i've seen more interesting women

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
a good book cover:

(could be a cool book if you're intersted in gay lit, i dunno)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm glad I waited, I wanted it to be special.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It makes a lot of sense that foster wallace fans are the same kind of people who would describe kurt cobain as a brilliant eccentric

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Carmant posted:

gently caress you idiot.

Sorry!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
To me, not liking Delillo is the smart thing, and liking him is a thing that idiots do.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Same. except white noise, which is funny

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Same except Delillo owns

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

When I think "pretentious literature" I think DeLillo.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Popular Human posted:

I just finished the third Ferrante book and my copy of A Little Life just came off hold at the library, so I fully expect to be all out of tears by this weekend.

I just finished the fourth book a few minutes ago and my mind is awhirl. It's been a long time since a set of books has affected me so much -- they made me want to write about them, about life, about everything. I also just want to go back and reread them right away even though I never do that. I'm going to need to seek out essays and criticisms of them because there is just so much to them.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

blue squares posted:

When I think "pretentious literature" I think DeLillo.

this but DFW

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

End Of Worlds posted:

this but Calvino

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I dislike Calvino more than I dislike some bestseller fantasy authors
When I think of pretentious literature I think of Joshua Cohen though

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wallace's stuff isn't pretentious. It's too silly for that. Some of it, sure, but overall his work has a wackiness to it that doesn't fit that stereotype. Especially his nonfiction.

Let's figure out who is the most pretentious. It would be a productive debate imo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blue squares posted:

Wallace's stuff isn't pretentious. It's too silly for that. Some of it, sure, but overall his work has a wackiness to it that doesn't fit that stereotype. Especially his nonfiction.

Let's figure out who is the most pretentious. It would be a productive debate imo

Beryl Markham

Sorry Ernest, she's not that great

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

I want to disagree but I can't, really

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mallamp posted:

I dislike Calvino more than I dislike some bestseller fantasy authors
When I think of pretentious literature I think of Joshua Cohen though

gently caress mallamp agrees with me brb going to go soul searching

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

End Of Worlds posted:

I want to disagree but I can't, really

Yes you can.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've only read White Noise but it felt like a book that was probably a lot funnier in 1999 than it is now.

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016
Most pretentious? Has anyone read or interacted with a fan of Alexander Theroux? I think there are legit criticisms about DFW's overwriting and pseudo-scenice but my god Theroux is DFW on purple crack.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

gently caress mallamp agrees with me brb going to go soul searching

im chortling irl

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Dellilo's good but the characterization of his dialogue is right on. I liked Libra, Mao II, White Noise, and End Zone. Running Dog is probably his least "pretentious" book, except the very first thing maybe cuz there's a distinct point of view decision early on. Point Omega is his best book I've read, and I've read a lot of his. I also read Pale King, that got mentioned on the last page. Its unweildly but there's a chapter I really liked with short declaritive sentences arranged in two columns depicting the activity in the office. Last thing I read was Gravity's Rainbow a really long time ago and I can't bring myself to crack a book since. I got overhwlemed by the combination of style mastery and amount of content. Can't say I enjoyed it. ok Im done posting about Delillo again, glad I could slam GR this time.

Im an utter dummy who read prose masterpiece Gravitys Rainbow, only stopping to enjoy myself when there was a song about dicks, and I can admit it.

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 1, 2016

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here read Adichie? I'm at a BLM lecture and this lecture about the "immigrant Canon" makes me want to tell more people about her.

Americanah is so good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Adichie is hype and Nigerian literature is fantastic right now. Check out Teju Cole and Helen Oyeyemi.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Anyone here read Adichie? I'm at a BLM lecture and this lecture about the "immigrant Canon" makes me want to tell more people about her.

Americanah is so good

I read Half a Yellow Sun and an essay she adapted from a TED talk or something and both were really good. Going to read Americanah sometime soonish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

Im an utter dummy who read prose masterpiece Gravitys Rainbow, only stopping to enjoy myself when there was a song about dicks, and I can admit it.

I've read like 20 Philip Roth novels for dicks