Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

El Hefe posted:

Ok a single car made by known cheaters williams how does that prove anything?

Every singlen car bar the Lola had electronic aids of some sort by 1993.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

lol I went to F1 races in the 80s, on reflection I would rather not go back to the days when health and safety simply did not exist and tens of millions would tune in for the first corner at Monaco for the big crash and tune out again. If by good racing people mean mid fielders lucking into championships because they broke down the least, 6 drivers finishing a race being accepted as normal, or on one occasion one driver having to unlap himself while the second and third place drivers were broken down in the pits then I'm not sure where you are coming from.

That sounds great. And the midfielders/lovely cars deserved it because in order to win or score points you must finish.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Will it be driven by Tay?

I'd be ok with this as long as they have speakers on the side of the car to :godwin: everyone

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

That sounds great. And the midfielders/lovely cars deserved it because in order to win or score points you must finish.

It also was cool if you were a midfielder because reliability in some years was so bad that if you actually finished you had a decent shot at points. Even this piece of poo poo

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

ukle posted:

In more brighter news and a look towards the future of Formula 1 - the Roborace car (AI driven cars, running as a support series for Formula E) for next year has been unveiled, and shows exactly what you can do when you don't have to lug around a massive bag of meat. Should be able to go close to 200 MPH, so hope to god the AI coders don't gently caress up.

:stare:

this is amazing

:stare:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

It also was cool if you were a midfielder because reliability in some years was so bad that if you actually finished you had a decent shot at points. Even this piece of poo poo

I would love to know the rationale behind that airbox design. AGS owns because they were the last real garagistes.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think it's because it was hastily adapted to take a normally aspriated Cosworth (which needed an airbox) rather than the Motori Moderni turbo of the previous year.

Given that the car was adapted from an already 4 year old Renault it's not like they were doing a lot of wind tunnel work.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Human Grand Prix posted:

I was kinda unimpressed by Barnard's initial reason (he didn't want to run a linkage from the front to the rear of the car anymore).
I thought he said it was because he wanted to make the cockpits smaller for aero and the shifter was taking up space.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
At least he had some consideration for the driver's comfort in that respect. In the 881 Newey just bent the shifter with some vise grips when Capelli complained that he couldn't shift gears.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Good luck Stoffel.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Good luck Strudel.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Good luck Charro.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
It's a loving waste of time to hold a race when the best driver is dead again.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Xenoid posted:

RIP Nando. Again

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
F1 is poo poo

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Xenoid posted:

Sebastian Vettel isnt dead!

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Reminder that in MotoGP riders fall down their bikes on Friday, break their clavicles, get surgery on Saturday and race on Sunday.

loving piece of poo poo F1

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Alonso is dead for real this time

And so is F1

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

El Hefe posted:

Reminder that in MotoGP riders fall down their bikes on Friday, break their clavicles, get surgery on Saturday and race on Sunday.

He's saving himself for the inevitable WEC domination.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

At least he had some consideration for the driver's comfort in that respect. In the 881 Newey just bent the shifter with some vise grips when Capelli complained that he couldn't shift gears.

I'm pretty sure Newey and my dad would get on well, drat near caused a divorce when I was a kid because he wouldn't acknowledge the shift linkage on my mom's car was hosed.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

El Hefe posted:

*in wicka voice* we should ban motorcycle racing

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

reminder that a broken clavicle can't puncture your lung

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

track day bro! posted:

*in wicka voice* we should ban motorcycle racing

stop

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Reminder that F1 is still poo poo

I'm joining the F1 doc boycott

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Reminder that F1 is still poo poo

I'm joining the F1 doc boycott

ok bye

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The former F1 doc is a shook bitch

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Alain Post posted:

The former F1 doc is a shook bitch

Actually he's 100% right

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He's a bitchboy who is worshiped on Reddit probably.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Actually he's 100% right

dang that was a fast boycott. did you achieve all your goals?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Norns posted:

RIP Nando. Again

What is dead may never die.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
All the drivers and the F1 doc agree with me

F1 is in shambles

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

He's a bitchboy who is worshiped on Reddit probably.

This is the worst crime of all, hell worse than anything Nico or Lewis has done.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Will it be driven by Tay?

I doubt Ferrari will let him terminate their multi-year contract

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Couple years ago when Marquez got into MotoGP and Lorenzo was having trouble keeping him back, Lorenzo crashed and broke his collar bone and got a titanium plate installed, then raced a couple weeks later and crashed again and bent the titanium plate. And the championship still went up to the last race between those two guys that year.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Couple years ago when Marquez got into MotoGP and Lorenzo was having trouble keeping him back, Lorenzo crashed and broke his collar bone and got a titanium plate installed, then raced a couple weeks later and crashed again and bent the titanium plate. And the championship still went up to the last race between those two guys that year.

please, continue to tell more pointless anecdotes while inexplicably being ignorant to the fact that collarbones cannot puncture your lungs

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
At what point is nando going to realise he's living the parable of the drowning man. A very angry Nando enters through the gates of heaven and demands St Peter grants him an audience with God and asks him "Why am I here it's not my time!?!" God says "I sent you a crash into a wall and you did not listen, I sent a Drunk fin to crash into you so you slammed into a wall and you did not listen, I sent a effeminate Mexican to barrel roll you into a wall and yet you still did not listen...So why are you here?"

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

please, continue to tell more pointless anecdotes while inexplicably being ignorant to the fact that collarbones cannot puncture your lungs

If you ripped out someone's collarbone and stabbed them you could :colbert:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

ukle posted:

In more brighter news and a look towards the future of Formula 1 - the Roborace car (AI driven cars, running as a support series for Formula E) for next year has been unveiled, and shows exactly what you can do when you don't have to lug around a massive bag of meat. Should be able to go close to 200 MPH, so hope to god the AI coders don't gently caress up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oBnWsVhJms

This is how most unrealistic health and safety experts, including armchair health and safety experts in this thread want F1 cars to be like.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
ok I read a later article. He did have a collapsed lung (pneumothorax) caused by a rib breaking. How the doctors at the Australian medical centre missed it is beyond me "full body scans" my arse. This isn't the small thing he is making it out to be, it's a shouldn't wear a seat belt in a normal car in case there is a sudden stop and your lung gets impaled again bad. Shouldn't be an issue for China though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

This is how most unrealistic health and safety experts, including armchair health and safety experts in this thread want F1 cars to be like.

great posts incoming from mr myrddin_emrys

• Locked thread